• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here we post Awesome pictures of Historical figures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cuth said:
sCpLb.jpg

Unfortunately I can't find a better pic of this event, the first "World Day of Prayer for Peace" organized by Pope John Paul II and held in Assisi on October 27, 1986. More than 100 religious leaders spent the day together praying for peace.

That sounds useful.

Forkball

Patrick Bateman said:
That Hitler-pic is fake. He didn't sport the famous moustache until the 1920s. He had a full moustache back then (before and during WW1).
Correct.
hitler-ww1.jpg

Hitler is sitting on the right. It also says that dog was Hitler's, but it was stolen from him. I'm sure that was another straw on the camel's back.

Kad5

Portrait_of_Cyrus_the_Great.jpg

Cyrus the Great one of the first Shahs of Iran/Persia and considered to be the father of the country.

Shah_of_iran.jpg

The late Shah of Iran Mohammed Reza Pahlavi

Ayatullah-Khomeini.jpg

The late Ayatollah Khomeini former and first Supreme Leader of Iran

Noshino

Miguel Grau
t274I.jpg

His nickname is "Knight of the Seas". Dude would destroy your ship, rescue the survivors, and then write a letter to the widow of the captain praising him.

Dear Madam:

I have a sacred duty that authorizes me to write you, despite knowing that this letter will deepen your profound pain, by reminding you of recent battles.

During the naval combat that took place in the waters of Iquique, between the Chilean and Peruvian ships, on the 21st day of the last month, your worthy and valiant husband Captain Mr. Arturo Prat, Commander of the Esmeralda, was, like you would not ignore any longer, victim of his reckless valor in defense and glory of his country’s flag.

While sincerely deploring this unfortunate event and sharing your sorrow, I comply with the sad duty of sending you some of his belongings, invaluable for you, which I list at the end of this letter. Undoubtedly, they will serve of small consolation in the middle of your misfortune, and I have hurried in remitting them to you.

Reiterating my feelings of condolence, I take the opportunity of offering you my services, considerations and respects and I render myself at your disposal.

(Signed) Ship Capt. Miguel Grau

Took a bunch of Chilean ships just to take down his frigate.

Zapages

quaid-e-azam mohammad ali jinnah - founder of Pakistan

Youth:
quaid2.jpg

quaid-e-azam1.jpeg

Gandhi and Jinnah:

gandhi-and-jinnah.jpg

Great Poet, Philosopher, and founders of Pakistan: Alama Iqbal:

allama-iqbal.jpg

a must read book: The Reconstruction of Religious Thought in Islam

Picture of the last Ottoman Sultan's Grandson: Ertugrul Osman before his passing away in 2009:

OsmanOsmanoglu.jpg

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
youngorson.jpg

Young Orson Welles fielding calls after his infamous War of the Worlds reading.
Prime material for a "NOT THIS SHIT AGAIN" caption.

tRIC.jpg

MLK Jr. and Sammy Davis Jr. sharing a laugh.

(sorry for the watermarks, couldn't find the same images without them) :(

god i hate it when people just post photo's without names.. what the FUCK is the big idea behind that kind of retardation?

Most are obvious, but nobody knows everybody...

anyway, some extremely cool phot's here.

Noshino said:
Miguel Grau
looks like Tom Hanks

Forsete

Gold Member
Patrick Bateman said:
That Hitler-pic is fake. He didn't sport the famous moustache until the 1920s. He had a full moustache back then (before and during WW1).

Hermann Göring was also the flying comrade of Manfred von Richthofen aka. The Red Baron.

Really? I didn't know it was fake. I have seen it in many different history books over the years.

Edit: Did a quick scan from the biography of Adolf Hitler.
http://i.imgur.com/LiTQO.jpg

It says "Above: Sunday the 2nd August 1914. A crowd is gathered on Odeonsplatz in München. Dressed in his finest suit stands Hitler in the crowd. He looks excited, lifts his hat and joins in singing >>Deutschland über alles<<. The first world war has begun"

Now that I think about it, it seems a bit over dramatic. :p

Cuth said:
Unfortunately I can't find a better pic of this event, the first "World Day of Prayer for Peace" organized by Pope John Paul II and held in Assisi on October 27, 1986. More than 100 religious leaders spent the day together praying for peace.
How'd that work out?

Fritz

There are some awesome picture of her around, be it as Norma Jean or Marylin. She was an incredibly pretty and fragile little thing.

Roi

The title is AWESOME PICTURES OF FAMOUS PEOPLE, not already well known and boring pictures and paintings of famous people.

Melchiah

4whag.jpg

Albert Einstein

MJofS.jpg

Adolf Hitler & Leni Riefenstahl

7Loa0.jpg

Joseph Goebbels & Adolf Hitler

Ahim6.jpg

Josif Stalin

VvVP6.jpg

Charles Manson

jgkspsx

This is probably the most mind-blowing thread I've ever seen on GAF. I plan to have the Tesla/Twain and LBJ photos framed.

Loxley

The elusive J.D. Salinger

The person who took the photo was driving in a car (the black upper-right portion of the picture is the frame of the door), they saw him walking alongside a road near his house, drove up and snapped the photo and then drove off :lol This is one of the only known photos of him post-Catcher in the Rye, I think it was taken sometime in the early 80's.

As you can tell by the look on his face, the guy did not like having his picture taken.

Cuth

Gary Whitta said:
How'd that work out?
Well, they managed to not kill each other... I think.

Anyway, Pope John Paul II has done some decent efforts to improve relationship between the Catholic Church and other religions: he was the first Pope ti visit a synagogue, he went to Jerusalem and put a letter in the Western Wall, he met 8 times the Dalai Lama, he visited and prayed in an Islamic mosque in Damascus, etc. Probably more than all previous popes combined. (more details here: "Pope John Paul II - Relations with other religious groups" on Wikipedia).
I suppose this kind of effort should be done for some generations to really change anything.

MNC

Dax01 said:
[ig]http://www.freewebs.com/aimjkb3/-%20New%20Folder%20(2)/abelincoln.bmp[/img]
abraham-lincoln-antietam-battlefield.jpg

[ig]http://www.visitingdc.com/images/abraham-lincoln-picture.jpg[/img]
[im]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/.a/6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a89edd58970b-600wi[/img]
It's so odd he looks like a puppet of some sorts to me... It's like some kind of uncanny valley.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Scarecrow said:
Looks like Leo DiCaprio.

I am glad I am not the only person who thought that..

Also why is Hitler getting so much love?

Melchiah

vKLHi.jpg

Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds are a girl's best friend

qTL6s.jpg

Marilyn Monroe

bczRg.jpg

Bettie Page

9lDCJ.jpg

Salvador Dali

o9FrE.jpg

Adolf Hitler

G3j0s.jpg

Orson Welles arrives at the premiere of Citizen Kane at New York’s Palace Theater, 1941.

Arjen

25s7n1d.jpg

The Belleville three.

Probably unknown to most of you, but for me the most important people in music

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom