• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do Secret Socities Rule the World?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Who

Banned
Do secret societies rule the world? Its an interesting question. I hazard to guess that many would scoff at this question and quickly dismiss it as a topic not worth discussing. Many would claim that the entire concept of the Illuminati or other such groups has been “thoroughly debunked” and that the theory has too many illogical fallacies to warrant any thoughtful discussion.

The subject of this particular post, however, is to delve deeper into the theory, and to hopefully find common ground between the theorists that preach it and the pragmatists that dismiss it. My wish is to give some credence to an ideal that I think can be undeservedly dismissed, and to provide some perspective from both sides of the argument. I don’t claim to have a set idea of how the world works, I wish simply to shed some light on what I think are some of the more credible parts of the theory and at the very least make people more intellectually sympathetic towards people that may believe in such a theory.

So first things first, let’s go over what I see as the most commonly agreed upon, basic tenants of this theory: A group of rich and powerful men (media executives, bankers, politicians, etc.) pull strings from the shadows in smoky conference rooms and make a wide range of greatly important and impactful decisions, including but not limited to, the tipping of elections, the waging of wars, the inflation of the dollar, the assassination of presidents, the executions of public figures etc. etc., all in the name of an ultimate purpose or under the command of one leader. Politicians, World leaders, and powerful CEOs from all over the world are bought out and act as pawns for this group, enabling them to achieve great feats of power and allowing them to push their agenda with relative ease.

As a side not: Let me point out that the sheer acceptance of this idea, that we have been lied to about the credibility of our system and the people that run it, as a fact, undoubtedly leaves the door open for many to develop their own wondrous and far-fetched conclusions to its then functions, origins, motives, and purpose. There really is no limit to the extremity. Many will go as far as to place them as devil worshippers or reptilian shape shifters sent here by our creators to monitor our evolutionary development. These are not suppositions in which I won’t dare try to defend in this post.

I think a good place to start with resolving this theory is contrasting it with the very real influence of special interests in US politics and recognizing just how impactful they are on public policy. In a study by Princeton University published in September of 2014, it was reported that the United States of America is classified as an Oligarchy, as opposed to a functioning Republic or Democracy. That is to say “that economic elites and organized groups representing business interests have substantial independent impacts on U.S. government policy, while average citizens and mass-based interest groups have little or no independent influence”

This revelation, of course, shouldn’t be a shock to those who understand the political landscape of America. Many place special interests groups’ rise of power and influence to the early 1900s when banks were becoming centralized and corporations were rapidly growing, merging, and forming monopolies. Woodrow Wilson, President on the United States (1913-1921), took notice of this movement in his book The New Freedom. He states:

“Our government has been for the past few years under the control of heads of great allied corporations with special interests. It has not controlled these interests and assigned them a proper place in the whole system of business; it has submitted itself to their control. As a result, there have grown up vicious systems and schemes of governmental favoritism, … far-reaching in effect upon the whole fabric of life, touching to his injury every inhabitant of the land, laying unfair and impossible handicaps upon competitors, imposing taxes in every direction, stifling everywhere the free spirit of American enterprise ... A great industrial nation is controlled by its system of credit. Our system of credit is privately concentrated. The growth of the nation, therefore, and all our activities are in the hands of a few men…”

“Since I entered politics, I have chiefly had men's views confided to me privately. Some of the biggest men in the United States, in the field of commerce and manufacture, are afraid of somebody, are afraid of something. They know that there is a power somewhere so organized, so subtle, so watchful, so interlocked, so complete, so pervasive, that they had better not speak above their breath when they speak in condemnation of it...It doesn't do business every day. It does business only when there is occasion to do business. You can sometimes do something large when it isn't watching, but when it is watching, you can't do much. And I have seen men squeezed by it; I have seen men who, as they themselves expressed it, were put "out of business by Wall Street," because Wall Street found them inconvenient and didn't want their competition.”

When using these claims as evidence to support the supposition that secret societies rule the world, it’s important to note that Wilson also said the following:

“I am one of those who have been so fortunately circumstanced that I have had the opportunity to study the way in which these things come about in complete disconnection from them, and I do not suspect that any man has deliberately planned the system. I am not so uninstructed and misinformed as to suppose that there is a deliberate and malevolent combination somewhere to dominate the government of the United States. I merely say that, by certain processes, now well known, and perhaps natural in themselves, there has come about an extraordinary and very sinister concentration in the control of business in the country”

So while Wilson recognizes the power of special interests on American politics, and the incredible influence that small groups of men have on public policy, he doesn’t see it as a “deliberate and malevolent” conspiracy, rather an unforeseen, and perhaps natural, consequence of the growth of the free market system.

So case closed? Not quite. If we can all accept and acknowledge that small groups of rich men predominantly set the agenda for most major world affairs, then we have reached a good common ground in which we can discuss the theory further. If for any reason the above quotes failed to convince you of this fact, then I would like to cite other quotes from notable figures throughout history:

Winston Churchill wrote an article in 1920 about the Jewish people and spoke of, what he saw, as their powerful grip on effecting world events:

“This movement … is not new. From the days of Spartacus-Weishaupt to those of Karl Marx, and down to Trotsky (Russia), Bela Kun (Hungary), Rosa Luxembourg (Germany), and Emma Goldman (United States), this world-wide conspiracy for the overthrow of civilization and for the reconstitution of society on the basis of arrested development, of envious malevolence, and impossible equality, has been steadily growing. It played, as a modern writer, Mrs. Webster, has so ably shown, a definitely recognizable part in the tragedy of the French Revolution. It has been the mainspring of every subversive movement during the Nineteenth Century; and now at last this band of extraordinary personalities from the underworld of the great cities of Europe and America have gripped the Russian people by the hair of their heads and have become practically the undisputed masters of that enormous empire.”

(I encourage readers that may have any type of knee-jerk reaction to this article, and deduce it to having any type of anti-Semitic undertones, to read the text in full.)

Benjamin Disraeli, the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in the late 1800’s said simply:
“The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes.”

Edward Bernays, often referred to as the father of Public Relations, talked of such a concentration of power in the inner-workings of corporate marketing, albeit with a more apologetic and accepting approach:

“The conscious and intelligent manipulation of the organized habits and opinions of the masses is an important element in democratic society. Those who manipulate this unseen mechanism of society constitute an invisible government which is the true ruling power of our country. ...We are governed, our minds are molded, our tastes formed, our ideas suggested, largely by men we have never heard of. This is a logical result of the way in which our democratic society is organized. Vast numbers of human beings must cooperate in this manner if they are to live together as a smoothly functioning society. ...In almost every act of our daily lives, whether in the sphere of politics or business, in our social conduct or our ethical thinking, we are dominated by the relatively small number of persons...who understand the mental processes and social patterns of the masses. It is they who pull the wires which control the public mind.”

In April of 1961, John F. Kennedy gave a speech to the press and spoke of the threat of communism on the free world:

“For we are opposed around the world by a monolithic and ruthless conspiracy that relies primarily on covert means for expanding its sphere of influence—on infiltration instead of invasion, on subversion instead of elections, on intimidation instead of free choice, on guerrillas by night instead of armies by day. It is a system which has conscripted vast human and material resources into the building of a tightly knit, highly efficient machine that combines military, diplomatic, intelligence, economic, scientific and political operations
Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried, not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed.”

These quotes, in my view, provide some valuable insight into the inner-workings of power-structures throughout history. While there is no reason to believe that these quotes can be attributed to anything other than the respective groups in which they’re describing (Communism, special interests, American media etc.), it most definitely paints an interesting picture of how the world works. It describes to me the inevitability of corruption in any type of organized establishment and depicts the landscape in which major world decisions and public policies are set, as a corrupt system that permits powerful groups to push their agendas with no moral or ethical guidelines, and unchecked against the will of the general populace.

So for the question of “Do Secret Societies Rule the World?”, I don’t think it would be too illogical to conclude, that yes they do. Historically, the true power of the world seems to have always resided in the hands of a small group of men, unelected, unseen, and therefore impervious to scrutiny by the masses.

Acknowledging this fact however still leaves the door open to the most important and most divisive aspect of the debate, and that is: Is there one centralized power? Sure we can look at institutions throughout the world and conclude that corruption is prevalent, but there is no strong evidence to suggest these isolated and fragmented aspects of the world’s power structure are in any way working with each other or are all under the influence of a single leader or group. But in my opinion, the possibility of such a thing isn’t entirely far-fetched. Consider the Mafia-run cities in the mid 1900’s and how the underground power struggle created the possibility of one family or faction rising to absolute power through the use of force, money, and general strong-arming, I don’t find it too hard to believe that throughout the course of civilized history, one group of men, representing a specific ideology, could have possibly achieve the same.

Admittedly, this is where my thoughts get muddied. I can’t possibly claim to know how the world works. I don’t believe that one single group controls every impactful decision the world has ever made, if that were the case we would all be flying one flag, citizens of one nation. But I don’t find it too irrational to suppose that there may be 3 or 4 major groups in the world today that are vying for ultimate control (Capitalism vs. Communism, Western vs. Eastern etc.) and perhaps it may be the case that only one group has absolute control over the country we live in.

This is some big picture stuff, I know, and it’s a lot to wrap your head around, but all I am trying to point out that such a thing is possible.

The most common line of thinking to combat this claim, that the world is run only by a few small men and that every politician, elected official, CEO, etc. is ultimately under their control, is this: How could they possibly keep such a large secret? In an age full of information, leaks etc., how could such a powerful organization ever hope to operate without being detected? To answer this I would like to return to Woodrow Wilson’s texts in The New Freedom:

“So what we have to discuss is, not wrongs which individuals intentionally do,—I do not believe there are a great many of those,—but the wrongs of a system … (these men), even if their action be honest and intended for the public interest, are necessarily concentrated upon the great undertakings in which their own money is involved and who necessarily, by very reason of their own limitations, chill and check and destroy genuine economic freedom.”

When you get a job, you gain security. The better the pay, the more secure lifestyle you and your loved ones obtain. This is not to be understated. When working for a large institution, be it a corporation or a government body, you dutifully perform the tasks in which you are asked. When word comes down from upstairs, you are expected to follow it without question. Sure you can raise a fit and fight back in futile attempts, but continuing to do so may leave your employers at cause to reexamine your future at the institution. So therefore most people abide, not concerning themselves with doing anything but completing the tasks they were asked to perform.

So let’s take a News Organization like Fox News or MSNBC for instance. A conspiracy theorist might claim that everything they report and broadcast is under the control of one group, such as the Illuminati, in an attempt to shape public perception and to direct attention to solely where they want the public's attention to be directed. A “pragmatic” might counter with, “So everybody that works in the news industry is able to somehow keep a large secret from the rest of public? Yeah right, tin foil hat, etc. etc.” But I think that’s missing the point. I don’t think that an entire workforce would have to be privy to the intentions of the higher-ups for them to be able to successfully execute their agenda. So say for instance a well-intentioned journalist writes a report about a major event and it is to be published the next day. The report gets submitted to the boss, the boss submits it his boss, etc. etc. until the report is eventually published with more divisive, biased language then what the Journalist originally intended, or perhaps the original report may even be scrapped entirely in favor of a more “suitable” report. The journalist could be outraged, but what is he to do? Write an article to the public exposing the bias? Risk losing his job, his professional reputation, all for a small blip of public exposure that will ultimately do nothing? There are plenty of people that may, but I think that there are far more who are willing to appease their bosses and focus solely on the well-being of their families, rather than trying to being a hero.

The same logic applies for organized religion. Many believe that it is causes incredible harm to the masses and intellectually stunts important ideological or philosophical debates. Many may also believe that this is intentional and a ploy by the church leaders to gain money and influence, but what I think would be rather illogical is to conclude is that every Priest, Bishop, Minister etc. is then therefore “in on it”.

Politicians comply with special interests, journalists comply with editors, the working men comply with their bosses etc. etc. The groundwork is most definitely there for a group to remain in the shadows, with its true intentions known by few, and to be able to pull the strings that effect huge parts of our society.

Another question often posed by “pragmatics” in regards to this theory is: If they have such great control, how is it that they would leave so many loose ends so as not to be discovered? To answer that question, I don’t think they need to. They can’t control all the information in the world but what they are very effective at is controlling perception and opinion. I can provide well researched documentation all day to help support my claims of such a theory being true but many of you have already dismissed me as a loon given the subject matter I’m defending. Anybody who speaks out on the system is ridiculed; we’re just conditioned to think that. If you’re not a Republican or a Democrat you’re a weird ideologist, that may have some good points, but doesn’t live in the “real world”. In my opinion, the facts add up overwhelmingly in favor of many “conspiracy theories” but for me to claim that in any type of public discussion would be considered reputational suicide.

John Lennon said:
“Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it.”

Many like to explain conspiracy theorists’ “outlandish” beliefs by saying something to the effect of: “Some people just can’t accept that bad things happen in the world so they comfort themselves by making themselves believe that there is a single evil force causing all this to happen.” A simple counter to that is: “Some people just can’t accept that the powers at hand have no interest in our well being so they comfort themselves by making themselves believe that bad things are isolated events that just happen.”

Anyways. Thanks for Reading.

Aeana

You guys all look pretty dumb with your "lol wrong section" jokes since the thread was moved before you even posted.

Minus_Me

While there aren't proper conspiracies or societies to control the world, there are people who have wealth and power and more importantly like minded interests. These people can have an affect if they wish to.

Silky

Banned
500x500.jpg

Do you consider the rich elite who have access to the ears of world leaders and other influential men and women a society?

They're hardly secret about it.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
Wealthy people and groups do have power in USA politics. It's the nature of the system we created and reinforce.

Probably going too far when you assume the powerful people are a member of the same club.

Madness

Not necessarily. But there is indeed confluence amongst the top institutions in the world, amongst the wealthy elite. Things like the UN, IMF, World Bank, World Economic Forum, other types of groups have a shared/similar mindset. They have certain goals they need achieved. Things like globalization and consumerism don't happen by chance.

If you're thinking of the conspiracy theories against Illuminati, societies like the Skull and Bones, or FreeMasons, than yes, you're wrong. Groups like the Bilderberg conference are just a meeting of rich and likeminded individuals who meet and want certain goals achieved. They're almost like lobbyists.

2San

The concept of secret society is odd to me since you can openly and legally bend/change the law to your will with enough money.

The biggest conspiracy is money itself. You don't need all these secret societies. The money does all the work and people follow it. When the Pope says we worship the God of Money, he is right on the money.

Who

Banned
The biggest conspiracy is money itself. You don't need all these secret societies. The money does all the work and people follow it. When the Pope says we worship the God of Money, he is right on the money.

I agree completely. What I was trying to argue with my post is that considering this is true, it doesn't seem to far fetched to believe there could be one group that rises to power and thus has absolute power over the proceedings of the world.

LCGeek

formerly sane
Don't taz me bro, is all that needs to be said.

Yes but that's ignores the bigger problem whether they are secret or not it's those involved and at times the bigger objectives.

LOL

The GOP has been out in the open with how it wants to fuck everyone over and similar sentiment is around the world and people support them.

Why have a secret society when being in the open accomplishes the same thing without impunity?

Nabbis

Im not sure if "rule" is the right word here. Based on my own perception of how some of these rich dudes that sleep with each other act, it's more of a "help a brother out" system but with a shitload of wealth behind it.

You don't need huge semantic plans to keep the moronic masses in check, they are simply unable to combine their power and act in self interest. A few people with a common interest to hoard their massive wealth is a far more effective at accomplishing things as opposed to a group of people consisting of millions but equally big amounts of combined wealth.

Edit: Basically, there is no secret society. It's just that due to the massive amounts of wealth that some people have, when they do act in some form of crude brocode, it drops a massive cascade reaction on everything else and gives off an illusion of a "secret society". Like the banking crisis that was made solely because a group of people that sit on each others boards wanted more money.

adj_noun

Secret societies running the world?!? What a thing to say!

Insidious!
Lunacy!
Lies!
Underhandedness!
Madness!
Insanity!
Nefarious!
Astounding!
Tyrannical!
Insubordination!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think if you confronted the reality of a secret society it would lose a lot of the "shadowy mastermind" assumptions we have about them. Like, it's basically just a powerful corporation or NGO that didn't advertise its existence.

Even if the top rich people got together and made plans to steer the world in certain directions, they wouldn't have the omnipotence that we assume when we hear these stories. Even a secret cabal of billionaire masterminds can't really manipulate all the moving parts of the world in a way that we assume when we hear about a "secret society".

Look at publically acknowledged organizations... Even Microsoft can't throw money and influence at society and get people to use the Surface or Windows Phone. Even America couldnt use its military to redefine Iraq as a western style state.

A secret society would be another one of these flawed and imperfect organizations, struggling against the randomness of human affairs in order to enact their will. So take the mystery out of the concept: That won't exist in that way. A real secret society wouldn't be all that "sexy". Even a group of ultra rich men with a plan can only do so much.

Who

Banned
I think if you confronted the reality of a secret society it would lose a lot of the "shadowy mastermind" assumptions we have about them. Like, it's basically just a powerful corporation or NGO that didn't advertise its existence.

Even if the top rich people got together and made plans to steer the world in certain directions, they wouldn't have the omnipotence that we assume when we hear these stories. Even a secret cabal billionaire masterminds can't really manipulate all the moving parts of the world in a way that we assume when we hear about a "secret society".

Look at publically acknowledged organizations... Even Microsoft can't throw money and influence at society and get people to use the Surface or Windows Phone. Even America couldnt use its military to redefine Iraq as a western style state.

A secret society would be another one of these flawed and imperfect organizations, struggling against the randomness of human affairs in order to enact their will. So take the mystery out of the concept: That won't exist in that way. A real secret society wouldn't be all that "sexy". Even a group of ultra rich men with a plan can only do so much.

Good points.

I guess what I was trying to illustrate is power that our elected officials have vs. the power of those whom we have no names for.

Im trying to address the fallacies of so many on GAF that get so riled up defending a political party or a particular candidate in a system of which none of it matters.

Laekon

So Churchill says its a secret society of Jews 20 years before the vast majority of them are killed. Then they use the communist who crumble in 60-70 years. They are behind wars like the one in Iraq, who no one is making money off of now. Wow how powerful and insightful they are.

You use a Woodrow Wilson quote to describe why there are no leaks about this society in the Internet age. Seriously?

Insider tip their big secret meeting is going on right now. http://www.ft.com/indepth/davos
They'll let you in if you have money, a press pass, or a bunch of Eastern European hookers.

hal9001

Banned
Secret cabals of elites with certain ideologies (be it cult esoterica or power) could theoretically exist but to control the entire worlds affairs seems a bit over the top. They might have governmental/business influences but not enough to have that level of planning and precision required for an entire world conquest.
Well maybe the reptilians from the 5th dimension could.

eyeswideshut_494.jpg

Disgraced

If there is an Illuminati, they're probably just like the Trust from 100 Bullets. A bunch of grossly rich, racist white people.

Who

Banned
So Churchill says its a secret society of Jews 20 years before the vast majority of them are killed. Then they use the communist who crumble in 60-70 years. They are behind wars like the one in Iraq, who no one is making money off of now. Wow how powerful and insightful they are.

You use a Woodrow Wilson quote to describe why there are no leaks about this society in the Internet age. Seriously?

Err I think you missed my point. There are tons of internet leaks and valuable insights into the inner-workings of our society in this age of information.

I've always seen it as similar to our need for a devil, monsters and aliens. Sometimes the world's a bad place, it's nice to think we aren't the only ones responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom