• TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 12:22 PM)

Originally Posted by subversus

it's even more ridiculous given the fact that you can downscale the game all the way for consoles because as this thread shows console gamers don't care about graphics that much while PC gamers do.

You mean PC gamers are hand waving dilettantes who only care about the visual? Agreed.

Will be buying for PC, and I think it looks fine, open world games ALWAYS look less impressive in terms of fidelity than closed ones.
Blue Ninja
(06-05-2011, 01:02 PM)
Moar info, you say? Why yes!

- Doomstones, like in Oblivion, can give you birthsign-like buffs and talents. If you decide you want a different constellation to "guide you", you can activate a different doomstone. They're scattered across Skyrim.
- The speechcraft wheel from Oblivion is out. Instead, the game offers speech checks like in the Fallout games.
- You can bash and block with bows, staffs and two-handed swords.
- The ecology interacts with each other. Foxes will, for instance, hunt rabbits.
- Storm Call is a high level shout, and calls down a lightning strike from the heavens.
- Giants are mentioned to be 12ft tall.
- "It will take 300 hours to see everything this game has to offer".
subversus
I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
(06-05-2011, 01:05 PM)

Originally Posted by Blue Ninja

I'll buy this game at least one month after release when it's patched. No way it's day 1.
maniac-kun
(06-05-2011, 01:05 PM)
Cant wait for some new trailers / gameplay from Skyrim! For me it has a lot of GOTY potential.
Last edited by maniac-kun; 06-05-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Deacan
9/10 NeoGAFfers don't understand statistics. The other 3/10 don't care.
(06-05-2011, 01:21 PM)
I can wait to bring back my Nord from Oblivion, Grundi "Meadmachine" McManus, who answers everything with his axe.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 01:23 PM)

Originally Posted by Deacan

I can wait to bring back my Nord from Oblivion, Grundi "Meadmachine" McManus, who answers everything with his axe.

Even his mother :?
Gravijah
(06-05-2011, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Dead Man

Somebody has to feed him.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 01:26 PM)

Originally Posted by Gravijah

Somebody has to feed him.

:D

Originally Posted by Mister_Bubbles

How d'you think she got that axe wound?

sorry

:lol Sick.
Mister_Bubbles
(06-05-2011, 01:27 PM)

How d'you think she got that axe wound?

sorry
Colkate
(06-05-2011, 01:33 PM)

- The speechcraft wheel from Oblivion is out. Instead, the game offers speech checks like in the Fallout games.

Generally a good sounding list, especially being able to melee to some extent with bows, but this bit I find pretty disappointing, seems like a lazy change. No doubt it's an improvement over the terrible speech wheel, but I was hoping for something interesting like this.
Marsipolami
(06-05-2011, 01:40 PM)
It has always felt like the developers has seen the game world as a backdrop and an excuse to the main storyline, while modders has always seen the game world as the primary thing.
It seems like Bethesda is going more in the direction of the modders, (but not while forsaking the main questline) which is a good thing.

Also; do all the warriors in Skyrim only have the one eye? Monocle business must be good.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 01:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Colkate

Generally a good sounding list, especially being able to melee to some extent with bows, but this bit I find pretty disappointing, seems like a lazy change. No doubt it's an improvement over the terrible speech wheel, but I was hoping for something interesting like this.

Yeah, I hate the Oblivion system, but the Fallout system is not much better (especially the NV version of it).
Dennis
Banned
(06-05-2011, 01:53 PM)

- Doomstones, like in Oblivion, can give you birthsign-like buffs and talents. If you decide you want a different constellation to "guide you", you can activate a different doomstone. They're scattered across Skyrim.
- You can bash and block with bows, staffs and two-handed swords.
- The ecology interacts with each other. Foxes will, for instance, hunt rabbits.
- Storm Call is a high level shout, and calls down a lightning strike from the heavens.
- Giants are mentioned to be 12ft tall.
- "It will take 300 hours to see everything this game has to offer".

Sounds great, especially the ecology and the Giants. Having creatures like Giants on a whole different size scale than most creatures is great.

However, that "300 hours" claim.....yeah....we'll see....
MrBig
(06-05-2011, 02:00 PM)

Originally Posted by DennisK4

Sounds great, especially the ecology and the Giants. Having creatures like Giants on a whole different size scale than most creatures is great.

I spent 200 hours in Oblivion (on my first play-through). Ya sure if you just did the main quest you could beat it in a few hours just like any other game though.
bengraven
will fuck homely black hookers in the name of progress and tolerance
(06-05-2011, 02:03 PM)

Originally Posted by WinoMcCougarstein

I came into this thread looking for information and found a fucking argument. Yay.

First time in an Elder Scrolls thread?
RyanDG
(06-05-2011, 02:07 PM)
I still haven't had answered whether or not there are going to be able to have beards on PC Nords this time in the vanilla version of Skyrim. Beardless PC Nords in Oblivion hurt my better sensibilities.
Nezabyte
(06-05-2011, 02:09 PM)

With mods :P I've never really fully enjoyed a Bethesda game without 'em.
Dennis
Banned
(06-05-2011, 02:15 PM)

Originally Posted by MrBig

I spent 200 hours in Oblivion (on my first play-through). Ya sure if you just did the main quest you could beat it in a few hours just like any other game though.

I probably spent more than 300 hours in modded Oblivion...

...BUT when a developer makes a claim like that there better a whole lot of content...

I mean, you can spend a whole lot of time fucking about but 300 hours for people who get straight to business?
Wallach
(06-05-2011, 02:18 PM)

I probably spent more than 300 hours in modded Oblivion...

...BUT when a developer makes a claim like that there better a whole lot of content...

I mean, you can spend a whole lot of time fucking about but 300 hours for people who get straight to business?

I'm guessing if you just sat down and plowed through every form of content in the game with your only goal being to do it all, it probably wouldn't take 300 hours.

Still, I know I put more than 300 hours into vanilla Morrowind and I definitely can't say for sure I saw everything that game had to offer.
Tobor
Look!
A crack addict with a tag!
Still no word on loot?
Gravijah
They should just say it has infinite replay value.
bengraven
(06-05-2011, 02:27 PM)
I put 300 hours + into Morrowind. 200 hours into Fallout 3 and Oblivion each.

300 is a little optimistic, but I know I'll still put time into this.

Regardless it will be worth $60.
Dennis
Banned
(06-05-2011, 02:31 PM)

Originally Posted by bengraven

Regardless it will be worth $60.

That was never in doubt.

Not much in gaming offers as many hours per $ as an open-world RPG.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 02:38 PM)

300 might be optimistic, but in over 400 hours of oblivion I know I did not clear every dungeon, not even close.
Gravijah
(06-05-2011, 02:39 PM)
I want to make my Khajiit thief right this second. And then I want to go steal everything in the game.
Mr_Brit
Banned
(06-05-2011, 02:42 PM)

I want to make my Khajiit thief right this second. And then I want to go steal everything in the game.

*8 hours later* STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!!! Your stolen goods are forfeit.
Dennis
Banned
(06-05-2011, 02:43 PM)

Wallach
(06-05-2011, 02:44 PM)

That was never in doubt.

Amen.

I am so ready for this game.
Gravijah
(06-05-2011, 02:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Mr_Brit

*8 hours later* STOP RIGHT THERE CRIMINAL SCUM!!! Your stolen goods are forfeit.

Then of course it becomes time to run the guards into random roaming minotaurs.
balladofwindfishes
(06-05-2011, 02:48 PM)
I guess right eye injuries are common in Skyrim?

Because that dude has a scar in almost the same place the orc did in the last batch of screenshots.

Ha, a fellow Khajiit thief fan! My favorite Oblivion character was a black Khajiit who was the head of the thieves guild and dark brotherhood.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 02:48 PM)

:lol
xelios
Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
(06-05-2011, 02:53 PM)

300 might be optimistic, but in over 400 hours of oblivion I know I did not clear every dungeon, not even close.

I spent a few hundred hours on Oblivion too, but I'm going to be honest. It took far less for me to "see everything", since once you've seen a dungeon/mine/ruin/cave/oblivion world you've seen them all. Shivering Isles was a nice change of pace.
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(06-05-2011, 02:55 PM)
As always, I will be playing as the Elder Scrolls master race, which is obviously the Dunmer. They're skilled in destruction, long blade, and marksman, the best abilities. Plus, they have face tats and red eyes which is pretty cool.

I'm definitely gonna blast a lot of shop keep's in the face with arrows and steal their shit, in true ES fashion.
bengraven
(06-05-2011, 02:55 PM)

That was never in doubt.

B-but it doesn't look as nice as God of War!

;)
Gravijah
(06-05-2011, 02:57 PM)

Originally Posted by bengraven

B-but it doesn't look as nice as God of War!

;)

You don't even get to buy a house and decorate it in God of War. Boo.
bengraven
(06-05-2011, 03:05 PM)

You don't even get to buy a house and decorate it in God of War. Boo.

I know, where do you show off your loot?
Wallach
(06-05-2011, 03:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Snuggler

As always, I will be playing as the Elder Scrolls master race, which is obviously the Nords. Dunmers are stupid, have stupid hair and are flammable even though they pretend not to be.

Agreed.
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(06-05-2011, 03:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Wallach

Agreed.

Wrong. Nords are nothing more than mindless brutes who smash their way to the top, they're down towards the bottom of the list with wood elves and breton.

1: Dunmer

2:. Lizards
3: Imperials
whocares: The rest
Gravijah
(06-05-2011, 03:30 PM)
Look, Khajiit and Wood Elves. Why would you need anything else?
Snuggles
erotic butter maelstrom
(06-05-2011, 03:31 PM)

To mercilessly hunt, you mean?
Wallach
(06-05-2011, 03:36 PM)

It's a sound plan - burn the elves and use the fire to cook the crack cats for meat. Skooma adds a nice hint of flavor and it'll probably last longer dried.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 04:05 PM)

Originally Posted by xelios

I spent a few hundred hours on Oblivion too, but I'm going to be honest. It took far less for me to "see everything", since once you've seen a dungeon/mine/ruin/cave/oblivion world you've seen them all. Shivering Isles was a nice change of pace.

LOL well yeah, but to actually see all the content owuld take a very long time, repetitious shit is still part of the content.

And why is everyone arguing about which race is best when it is clearly the Redguard?*

Although Dunmer and Nords are good too.
Wallach
(06-05-2011, 04:10 PM)

LOL well yeah, but to actually see all the content owuld take a very long time, repetitious shit is still part of the content.

And why is everyone arguing about which race is best when it is clearly the Redguard?*

Although Dunmer and Nords are good too.

Wiggum2007
(06-05-2011, 04:15 PM)
Oh man I hope I can accurately recreate techno viking with Skyrim's character creator.
Cryptozoologist
(06-05-2011, 04:17 PM)
I played Nords exclusively in Morrowind and the first few playthroughs on Oblivion as well. But then I switched to Argonians and haven't looked back. I think I'll definitely go through Skyrim with an Argonian my first time.
Bootaaay
(06-05-2011, 04:21 PM)
I like to play a stealthy character/ranger archetype, so I always pick Wood Elf first, then probably either Dark Elf or Nord, but the Wood Elf is clearly the superior race of Tamriel.

Hopefully the 300 hour quote is a conservative estimate - I was done with Oblivion after 200+ hours, which paled in comparison to the 1000+ hours I spent with Morrowind, but I guess the length of Skyrim, for me at least, depends on how engaging the world is, how unique it's dungeons and ruins are and how much interesting and one-of-a-kind loot there is to discover, all three areas that I felt Oblivion distinctly lacked.

Also, I'm hoping that the game isn't quite obviously designed around fast travel like Oblivion was. I'm fine with having fast travel, magic compasses and map markers for those that want them, but with Oblivion it was as if they hadn't even considered that anyone wouldn't want to play that way. Gone was the sense of adventure and excitement I got from every quest in Morrowind where I would have to make long journeys to reach the destination and use the map, given directions and landmarks to find the place I was looking for. Many found that aspect of Morrowind frustrating, but to me it was equally frustrating to realise that Cyrodil hadn't been designed with walking in mind. Too much open and empty space that felt computer generated where as everything in Vvardenfell felt hand placed.
Pollux
formerly zmoney
(06-05-2011, 04:29 PM)

Originally Posted by Snuggler

As always, I will be playing as the Elder Scrolls master race, which is obviously the Dunmer. They're skilled in destruction, long blade, and marksman, the best abilities. Plus, they have face tats and red eyes which is pretty cool.

I'm definitely gonna blast a lot of shop keep's in the face with arrows and steal their shit, in true ES fashion.

High Five....I spent soooo much time rolling around Vvardenfell as a Dunmer. I made it my mission to kill everything that wasn't a Dunmer to purify our land of outlanders. With my Daedric Crescent.
BobsRevenge
I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
(06-05-2011, 04:43 PM)

Does this remind anyone else of Rune?

I remember LOVING that game. The multiplayer was the shit.
Dead Man
I got d 2 tha eepdicked
d-e-e-p-d-i-c-k-e-d
(06-05-2011, 04:56 PM)

Originally Posted by Wallach

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LwWI3.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Ck0HZ.jpg[IMG]

Awesome!! I haven't seen technoviking in ages! I'm glad he is pleased.
MirageDwarf
(06-05-2011, 05:01 PM)
Release this now, Bethesda (by that I meant that it should have been planned for summer release). Games like this are fucking perfect to spend 200-300 hours in Summer when not many high profile/big budget games are releasing.

Now and then I listen main theme and it gives me a chill. My THE most anticipated game in a while.