• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West |OT| Yes, it's in English! (No thanks to NoA.)

I'm in the US and want to import the English version of this. I've used The Hut in the past, but the experience wasn't great. Can anyone recommend a place I can get this for a fair price?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Play Asia? Oh wait, you said fair price.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Finished mine some time ago. Good game as it's as far as I am willing to go to read a novel! I'll give it an 8/10. Other than stressing out during the pool game (and finding out it doesn't even give you any bonus) I had some good fun! I'll be playing the original again soon as I forgot pretty much everything about it.

metsallica said:
I'm in the US and want to import the English version of this. I've used The Hut in the past, but the experience wasn't great. Can anyone recommend a place I can get this for a fair price?
Did you try Play.com? They got free shipping.

edit, might not be free to US

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Oh yeah, zavvi is really tight to. I go there for budget prices sometimes.

Also, forgot to mention but the music really makes this game! So fitting in nearly every situation. Hope they release in US some day since Cing at least deserves the title to be in as much hands as possible.

celebi23

metsallica said:
Thanks, everyone! Now to figure out how to play Another Code: R on my US Wii without modding it...

I'm pretty sure if you ask in the Wii Homebrew thread they might be able to help you. I'm pretty sure that there was some homebrew channel app/thing that could help in running Another Code: R on your Wii. I just honestly can't remember what it's called. Been too busy with my 360 lately (not trolling, just the truth)

Just started playing this. It's great to see Kyle again, and I love how he's just as much of a cynical asshole as ever.

Oh, and I honestly don't get why some people have been saying the writing/translation is lacking. All the dialogue so far has been just as good as the first game. Seriously, I just examined a suit, and Kyle said: "I like suits. They're comfy and easy to wear." :lol

In case that went over your head...
50536_198438218141_103_n.jpg

Fuck the haters.

Hang on; I just had a thought; were Cing an actual second-party for Nintendo (similar to Rare back in the day), or did they just have a very close working relationship? There are Another Code and Hotel Dusk references in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, yet it isn't a first-party title. I know that Sonic and Metal Gear stuff are in there too, but that's obviously different.

Wizpig

I'd guess close relationship, because they did that Tecmo game.

Rare couldn't do games with some software house other than Nintendo, right?

Busaiku

Ben2749 said:
Hang on; I just had a thought; were Cing an actual second-party for Nintendo (similar to Rare back in the day), or did they just have a very close working relationship? There are Another Code and Hotel Dusk references in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, yet it isn't a first-party title. I know that Sonic and Metal Gear stuff are in there too, but that's obviously different.
Nintendo owns the IPs.

watkinzez

Wizpig said:
I'd guess close relationship, because they did that Tecmo game.

Rare couldn't do games with some software house other than Nintendo, right?

They had a deal with Disney back in the day, though Nintendo still published those titles.

Wizpig

watkinzez said:
They had a deal with Disney back in the day, though Nintendo still published those titles.
Oooh, right, i even have that Mickey Kart game for the Game boy color... :lol

Apenheul

I've finished this game yesterday and thought it was better than the original in almost every area except maybe atmosphere. It's still possible to get a game over screen during dialogues but the game-characters are much easier to 'read' this time if you pay a little attention.

Despite having this since it came out here in the UK, I only got around to starting this about 3 weeks ago and am now watching the ending credits.
Have to say that I really enjoyed the game. I didn't finish Hotel Dusk, but thought it was great and this was, for me, even better.

The story and characters kept me interested throughout and it was quite emotional at the end
saying goodbye to them all :(
. Also, <3 <3 <3 Claire.

Music was also amazing. One of the best game OSTs I have heard in recent years.

So yeah, loved The Last Window and am now in the mood for another visual novel. The one glaring choice that I haven't bought yet is 999 so this may be the time to get round to buying it.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
le bump

There's no chance this is coming out in the US right? Hotel Dusk is one of my favorite games on the DS, and I really need to play this. About to pull the trigger on Play Asia.

I just found it on Ebay for £26.98 shipped for it, which at the current exchange rate came out to $45.41 for it. I had $18 in my Paypal from when I just sold Uncharted so that dropped it down to $27.41.

Even if Nintendo finally releases it here (looking very unlikely) I won't be mad that I didn't miss out on what is probably a wonderful game. I enjoyed the first so I need more Kyle Hyde!

Neiteio

Could someone please list for me all the DS games Nintendo still needs to bring to America (or which they should, if they love us)? There's Last Window, Soma Bringer, Tingle's Rose-Colored Rupee Land... Another Chibi-Robo too, I think? And the Layton's that's not the 3DS Layton?

MechaX

Hm.. The price is still pretty damn high (and if I was going to sink $60 in something Nintendo related, Metroid Prime Trilogy still remains a priority), but I'll bite on this sooner or later. It's absolutely baffling that NoA passed over this despite how Hotel Dusk seemingly did well enough to re-release it. Ugh.

MechaX said:
Hm.. The price is still pretty damn high (and if I was going to sink $60 in something Nintendo related, Metroid Prime Trilogy still remains a priority), but I'll bite on this sooner or later. It's absolutely baffling that NoA passed over this despite how Hotel Dusk seemingly did well enough to re-release it. Ugh.
This is NoA we're talking about though.

MechaX

Gunloc said:
This is NoA we're talking about though.

True, but I mean, even companies like Namco actually have decent excuses for not releasing stuff in a certain RPG franchise most times. NoA is just like "nope, we'll continue to sit on our money stacks."

MechaX said:
True, but I mean, even companies like Namco actually have decent excuses for not releasing stuff in a certain RPG franchise most times. NoA is just like "nope, we'll continue to sit on our money stacks."
That's exactly it though, Nintendo loves to skate by with the least amount of effort possible. It's only when their back is to the wall that they start trying to win people over or go outside their comfort zone.

(Though I wouldn't call any of Namco's excuses decent. I'm still not over their "deep breath" remark.)

Yeah whatever happened to them bringing over DS & Wii games from Japan. It's almost May and we have gotten Dragon Quest. I import Disaster & Another Code R from Europe...and now Last Window.

I'll make a list of what hasn't been brought over to the US/EU

The Legend of Starfy 4 (JPN Only)
JP: 04/13/2006

Touch Panic (JPN Only)
JP: 05/25/2006

Project Hacker: Kakusei (JPN Only, Would've been a good game Nintendo...)
JP: 07/13/2006

Ch&#333;s&#333;j&#363; Mecha MG (JPN Only, I heard JGAF liked this one)
JP: 09/02/2006

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (JPN, EU Only, NA Survey of Gamers says we hate Tingle)
JP: 09/02/2006
EU: 09/14/2007

Jet Impulse/DS Air (JPN Only, NA Release Cancelled)
JP: 02/08/2007

Chibi-Robo: Park Patrol (JP, NA, AU Only)
JP: 07/05/2007
NA: 10/02/2007 (Walmart Only at Launch)
AU: 03/20/2008

Slide Adventure: Mag Kid (JP Only - I imported it, it's neat)
JP: 08/02/2007

ASH - Archaic Sealed Heat (JP Only, NA Release Canceled)
JP: 10/04/2007

Card Hero (JP Only, NA Trademark though)
JP: 12/20/2007

Soma Bringer (JP Only)
JP: 02/28/2008

Fossil Fighters (JP, NA, AU Only)
JP: 04/17/2008
NA: 08/10/2009
AU: 09/19/2009

Daigasso! Band Brothers DX/Jam with the Band (JP Only, EU Only)
JP: 06/26/2008
EU: 05/21/2010

The Legendary Starfy/Starfy 5 (JP, NA, AU Only)
JP: 07/10/2008
NA: 06/08/2009
AU: 10/10/2009

Glory of Heracles (JP, NA Only)
JP: 11/22/2008
NA: 01/18/2010

Tomadachi Collection (JP Only, Impossible because of the Coding)
JP: 06/18/2009'

Welcome Home Chibi-Robo! Happy, Rich Big Sweep! (JP Only, Chibi is dead outside JPN)
JP: 07/23/2009

Ripening Tingle's Balloon Trip of Love (JP Only)
JP: 08/06/2009

Last Window: Midnight Promise/The Secret of Cape West (JP, EU Only)
JP: 01/14/2010
EU: 09/17/2010

Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem (JP Only for now)
JP: 07/15/2010

Fossil Fighters 2
JP: 11/18/2010

Inazuma Eleven (Level 5 in Japan, Nintendo in Europe)
JP: 10/22/2008
EU: 01/28/2011 (not in UK though?)

So basically NoA has been pretty shitty. :/

MidnightScott said:
Yeah whatever happened to them bringing over DS & Wii games from Japan. It's almost May and we have gotten Dragon Quest.
I'm hoping E³ has some surprises, because NoA's release schedule as a whole right now is pretty bare.

Fire Emblem 2 DS, Layton 4, Kirby DS, XenoBlade, Last Story etc. are still nowhere to be found. And it would be great if they took a shot with some of the older games they passed on before like Last Window, Welcom Home Chibi-Robo! & Another Code: R.

I guess we'll see if they were just blowing (more) hot air with those comments.

Shotgun Kiss said:
Just started playing this. It's great to see Kyle again, and I love how he's just as much of a cynical asshole as ever.

Oh, and I honestly don't get why some people have been saying the writing/translation is lacking. All the dialogue so far has been just as good as the first game. Seriously, I just examined a suit, and Kyle said: "I like suits. They're comfy and easy to wear." :lol

In case that went over your head...
50536_198438218141_103_n.jpg

Fuck the haters.

Lol I just came here to post that. I just got the game, it shipped on the 20th and arrived today. Nice reference. I'm glad the game still has the pizazz of the first even though Treehouse wasn't involved. Good job Euro localization team.

Bumping this topic.

I had the pleasure of playing through Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and now this game over the past couple of weeks. I'm sad to see that there will never be another 'Kyle Hyde' game in light of Cing going bankrupt last year. I'm really late to the party, but I am glad this is a party I attended. I was scared like others from transitioning from the NoA translation to the NoE, but I have no complaints at all. Another Code R is heading my way soon as well, long live Cing!

Shiggy

Cell_Biology said:
Bumping this topic.

I had the pleasure of playing through Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, and now this game over the past couple of weeks. I'm sad to see that there will never be another 'Kyle Hyde' game in light of Cing going bankrupt last year. I'm really late to the party, but I am glad this is a party I attended. I was scared like others from transitioning from the NoA translation to the NoE, but I have no complaints at all. Another Code R is heading my way soon as well, long live Cing!

It's absolutely sad to see that such great titles won't be available in future. What is left? I enjoyed the Broken Sword remakes, but that's it.

Cell_Biology said:
Bumping this topic.

Well, we might not see anothr CiNG made Hotel Dusk or Trace Memory game, (;_;) but since they are Nintendo IPs, we could still see more of the series done by another team.

But will Nintendo actually make use of these awesome characters and continuing world, and would we want them to, considering how they didn't even deem to release half the series in North America? I don't know.

What I do know is that I want to see Kyle and Ashley again, and I hope that happens.

Shiggy

It's become really cheap on Amazon.de now: 15€
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B003VXFXH8/

Btw, do only I see Lake Juliet and its surroundings in most of the paintings in Last Window? Of course, it is probably not because you cannot really see anything in that pixelised mess. But at least one time it was clearly said to be Lake Juliet.

Top Bottom