• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Last Window: The Secret of Cape West |OT| Yes, it's in English! (No thanks to NoA.)

Instro

Ill wait to see if this shows up during the fall conference for NA, if not Ill try to import. And btw, Hotel Dusk>Layton.

Shiggy

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Cool! Thanks for clearing up the region-free question! :)

But after reading the above posts ^^ about translation issues...is it that bad? :(

I can only talk about the German translation(s) of Nintendo games and they have been pretty great imo, especially the last Layton game or Zelda TWW come to my mind.

Hmm, might be a good time to pick up Disaster and Another Code: R for the Wii as well. Get all the Euro stuff out of the way all at once.

Eccocid

Ugh..I never finished the first game. I had to go to bar to drink with the old lady at the game. Thats where i stopped playing i guess. Damn i already forgot the story in first game. It was kinda super slow sometimes :/

trinest

Dash Kappei said:
AUS-GAF buys form these places so thats a + to people who are to scared to import I guess?

Gunloc said:
;_;

CiNG will be saved, I'm cold calling random tycoons right now.
I doubt we will see CiNG again under the CiNG name- but I'm hoping Nintendo has picked up the people who worked for them etc.

Also does Nintendo own the IPs CiNG has made in colaberation with them? eg. Hotel Dusk and Another Code?

My preorder shipped this morning (AUS time) so a few more weeks wait for me- but its worth it :D

Omikaru

So hey...

59970_1529530073076_1079454475_31507257_1590224_n.jpg

Going to get stuck in now. :D

Peff

So, if any reviewers are reading the thread, are you supposed to be able to solve the
crossword right then? The prize sounds pretty juicy but since it's giving you a deadline maybe it's a scripted event later.

jesusraz

Peff said:
So, if any reviewers are reading the thread, are you supposed to be able to solve the
crossword right then? The prize sounds pretty juicy but since it's giving you a deadline maybe it's a scripted event later.
It's very simple - the clue given to you as soon as you receive the crossword is spot on. Just look at everything in the room for the right words. As for the key word, well, you actually mentioned something very close to it in your spoiler tag ;)

Disappointed to see some sites giving this 7/10...I preferred it to Hotel Dusk (which I gave an 8, back in the day).

So...PANG: Magical Michael and Last Window: The Secret of Cape West are both out in Europe tomorrow. Nintendo's game started getting TV advertising on Tuesday from what I heard, whilst RSG's had a launch party dedicated to it on Wednesday night. It would be nice to see *both* games do well, but sadly I think there will be only one victor.

nny

My copy should arrive next week. I'm very much looking forward to playing it, but at the same time, when I'm done with this game there will be no more new Cing games for me to play...

:|

Omikaru

I have been enjoying the shit out of this game non-stop, pretty much. My DSi is on charge right now so I've been playing some other stuff and catching up on my internets in the mean time, but in general my DSi is dominating all my time right now.

I'm disappointed to say I never solved
the crossword. That and I failed to beat anyone at billiards.

Oh well, gives me an excuse to have a second play through.

jesusraz

Omikaru said:
I'm disappointed to say I never solved
the crossword. That and I failed to beat anyone at billiards.
At first I was stumped by the first thing in your spoiler, but then, after a good sleep, I woke up, turned on the DS and suddenly it seemed so damn obvious! :)

Omikaru

jesusraz said:
At first I was stumped by the first thing in your spoiler, but then, after a good sleep, I woke up, turned on the DS and suddenly it seemed so damn obvious! :)
I know that feeling. I've worked it out now, but it's far too late. Stuck on Chapter 10 now, and the puzzles in this one are in a whole different league...

I'll probably kick myself once I've worked it out, but damn, I don't even know where to start on this one.

Edit: It's the
elevator one
, by the way.

Edit 2: Hah, got some sleep and solved it this morning, and then completed the game shortly after.:D

Awesome.

Wizpig

I'll just quote myself from the old thread.

Wizpig said:
So, anyone who tried the game on a DSi XL?
You know, since you have to use the DS "as a book", is it comfortable or not, etc.?

nny

Wizpig said:
I'll just quote myself from the old thread.

Well, I still haven't tried this one, but I played Again (which was also played in the "book position") on a XL and it wasn't uncomfortable; it's sized like a little book, after all. And I prefer the bigger XL stylus so it was quite OK.

trinest

nny said:
Well, I still haven't tried this one, but I played Again (which was also played in the "book position") on a XL and it wasn't uncomfortable; it's sized like a little book, after all. And I prefer the bigger XL stylus so it was quite OK.
Again was basically a book though.

Hot Damn I didn't touch my handhelds for about 4 months and now it's all I''m playing! I got Layton 3, Harvey Birdman and Persona 3 Portable from US import and bought Cape West yesterday (also a Move controller but I haven't touched it properly yet). I'm planning to get Birth By Sleep, Ghost of Sparta and Valkyria II later this year so my handheld days are back and better than ever! :lol

OK, on topic again. I adore this interactive visual novel shit, and surprisingly when I showed it to my mother this weekend she's all into it. She owns a DS and plays NSMB and Brain Training sometimes, but not much. She's an avid reader though, so when I showed her the game and the fact that you hold the DS like a book I let her play for a while and she was into it for a good 2 hours. She asked me if she could borrow it and if I have more of these types of games. Well whatever, I still have S Links to max and matchsticks to count. I only played the first 30 minutes or so but I can't WAIT to get back to it.

A BIG PLUS to the art dept., animations look even better than in the original. The game tempo is also nice and slow, the perfect stuff for long autumn/winter evenings. Fuck it's just like a book!

I'm sorry for the blabbering but when a game gets my mom interested for a long time it's something special. Let's hope she doesn't spoil it for me :lol

Wizpig

I think my mother would like the game too, but i bought a US copy of the first one and english isn't her/my first language.
Guess she could try it to improve her english.

Speaking of which, I'm italian but i want to play Last Window in english, just like the first Hotel Dusk (i think, well, the atmosphere is better this way): is the english translation as cool as US Hotel Dusk was?

Wizpig said:
I think my mother would like the game too, but i bought a US copy of the first one and english isn't her/my first language.
Guess she could try it to improve her english.

Speaking of which, I'm italian but i want to play Last Window in english, just like the first Hotel Dusk (i think, well, the atmosphere is better this way): is the english translation as cool as US Hotel Dusk was?

I guess so, if NoA even touches the English release for the US market they are stupid beyond belief, unless you're a grammar bitch for things like harbour/harbor. So if you can't wait just get the English version.

trinest

StevePharma said:
I guess so, if NoA even touches the English release for the US market they are stupid beyond belief, unless you're a grammar bitch for things like harbour/harbor. So if you can't wait just get the English version.
On the gamespot forums there was a guy who didn't want it because of that.

Doesn't seem to be doing too badly, seen it charting on the ds in game, gamestation & hmv.

Surprised to see an advert for this during Poirot last night.
Good place for it too.

Wizpig

Gunloc said:
Edit: That Metro UK review is suspect. "Why is there so much reading in this text adventure? Why can't we skip it?" :/
:lol :lol :lol

JESUS.
Why can't reviewers learn to review a game without looking at its genre... or better said, looking if the game is good for its genre.

Wizpig said:
:lol :lol :lol

JESUS.
Why can't reviewers learn to review a game without looking at its genre... or better said, looking if the game is good for its genre.
A direct quote from the review:

Metro UK Review said:
If only Cing had asked themselves why people were so eager to skip through their dialogue they might not have ended up in the trouble they did.
@_@

Wizpig

Next time, on Metro reviews...

"If only Bungie had asked themselves why people were so eager to skip through their campaign and multiplayer and went looking for puzzles to solve they might not have ended up in the trouble they did."

"If only Nintendo had asked themselves why people were so eager to skip through their platforming and went looking for more action on those goombas they might not have ended up in the trouble they did."

I don't have anything against unfavorable reviews, but I at least expect reviewers to give the game a fair shake and not hold preconceived notions of the genre. It's like they were punishing the game for being a text adventure.

Peff

To be fair, having a lot of text isn't always a good thing even for a text adventure. Cing's games have always been guilty of being overly wordy with information being restated several times even in the same conversation. For example in Hotel Dusk, a chat about a person having seen a girl called Mila could turn out like this:

- I saw a girl earlier.
- A girl?
- Yes.
- What's her name?
- She's called Milla
- (thinking) Milla? (Out loud) Milla, you say?
- That's right.
- (thinking) Milla... what an odd name.

and this is present in Last Window as well. Now this is not always a bad thing either, but some people can't stand it. Even the novel (which by the way it's pretty cool and pretty much an actual book) flows much better than the game at times.

Peff said:
To be fair, having a lot of text isn't always a good thing even for a text adventure. Cing's games have always been guilty of being overly wordy with information being restated several times even in the same conversation. For example in Hotel Dusk, a chat about a person having seen a girl called Mila could turn out like this:
But to say people were eager to skip text in a text adventure seems ridiculous. The (intended) bulk of the game is dialogue and the fact we see the inner and outer monologue of Kyle, there is obviously going to be repeated information.

This is common in a lot of adventure games. The amount of time information is rehashed in the Ace Attorney series for example is just as much, if not more than Hotel Dusk. The player has to keep the information in mind in order to go down the proper dialogue tree, repeated information should be expected IMO.

It just seems to me that a lot of reviews for adventure games seem to count the fact that the game is intentionally text heavy against them, but what do they expect from this genre? That's the whole point.

Wizpig

Peff said:

- I saw a girl earlier.
- A girl?
- Yes.
- What's her name?
- She's called Milla
- (thinking) Milla? (Out loud) Milla, you say?
- That's right.
- (thinking) Milla... what an odd name.

and this is present in Last Window as well. Now this is not always a bad thing either, but some people can't stand it. Even the novel (which by the way it's pretty cool and pretty much an actual book) flows much better than the game at times.
Maybe i tend to notice that a lot less since english is not my main language, but i wasn't frustrated by the amount of text in Hotel Dusk.

In other news my copy should get here tomorrow! :D
And then i should really get Another Code 2 asap.

Peff

Yes, repeating information is obviously going to happen, but the way I read it the complaints are more about the "pointless" dialogue that is only there for characterization. In an Ace Attorney game you'll get retorts from Maya or crazy stuff from Oldbag, but a majority of the mandatory dialogue tends to focus on the actual plot leaving the rest as an extra for clicking around. Cing's games tend to take their time and slow things down, even to the point of introducing sections that have nothing to do with the rest of the plot just for the sake of characterization. I had no problems with it and I'm sure many people won't either (if it wasn't a problem for you in Hotel Dusk it won't be here), but it's a valid complaint as not that many people have the patience for it. It's mentioned by pretty much every review too. From the ones up there:

However, the dialogue does tend to drag on at times when talking to other characters which gamers may find slightly irritating.

The actual text is reasonably competent but the conversations with characters ramble on forever, constantly repeating and restating the same information. It doesn’t come close to sounding like natural dialogue, which in turn stops the characters from being in anyway believable.

You'll knock on doors, rifle through cupboard and chat-up the game's cast of characters in often lengthy bouts of conversation. As with much of Cing's output, these text-heavy exchanges will likely test the patience if you're not willing to invest in Last Window's intricately-woven narrative. Dialogue is perfectly-pitched for the most part though and, if you can deal with the drawn-out delivery, few games can match the quality of characterisation delivered through the excellent script.

MemoirsofMimi

Neo Member
I got a friend of mine to order a copy for me last week and should arrive later in the week! I can't wait to get my hands on it and review it!

So is the general consensus that Last Window is a better game than Hotel Dusk?

Peff said:
Yes, repeating information is obviously going to happen, but the way I read it the complaints are more about the "pointless" dialogue that is only there for characterization. In an Ace Attorney game you'll get retorts from Maya or crazy stuff from Oldbag, but a majority of the mandatory dialogue tends to focus on the actual plot leaving the rest as an extra for clicking around. Cing's games tend to take their time and slow things down, even to the point of introducing sections that have nothing to do with the rest of the plot just for the sake of characterization. I had no problems with it and I'm sure many people won't either (if it wasn't a problem for you in Hotel Dusk it won't be here), but it's a valid complaint as not that many people have the patience for it. It's mentioned by pretty much every review too. From the ones up there:
I understand your point, but almost all the reviews outside the Metro UK one said the dialogue is "pitch perfect" so I don't really have any understanding for people who don't feel like reading. And any text that enhances characterization is not pointless whatsoever IMO.

This game is a text adventure, it contains lots of text. Even the original game was primarily billed as an interactive novel so the game delivers what it intended.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Oh my god, Take on Me 2: Take Me On Harder is out?

Guess I need to find a EU importer for the US. :(

trinest

duckroll said:
Lol CiNG defense force. Give it up guys, they're dead. :p
I will never give up on CiNG

Long Live CiNG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They will come back- bigger and better- NinCiNGdo!

Believe

Top Bottom