• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Poor Vita performance dragging down Sony's entire gaming unit

TDLink

Not your taste?
That's too bad for you.
A lot of other gamers are happy about these titles (+ me)

I honestly don't see how people can be happy with the Vita lineup unless they don't own either a PS3 or 360. Either way, there are obviously not "a lot" of gamers that share your opinion or Vita would be doing much better.

Hyuga

Banned
Yea, those PS3 owners are gonna love those titles...
Well, some of them will.
I honestly don't see how people can be happy with the Vita lineup unless they don't own either a PS3 or 360. Either way, there are obviously not "a lot" of gamers that share your opinion or Vita would be doing much better.
It would do much better with a better price tag(and with more blockbusters, too. Sure!)
The sales of the 3DS sucked ass with its 249€/$ price tag.
And they still suck somehow in europe at the moment.
Hard times, in the handheld market!

Terrible

As someone who went PSP over DS last gen, this list looks WAY too familiar....but without the quirky Japanese RPGs.

There are other games. I just listed some of the big IPs. Personally I don't care much about Japanese RPGs, that's why I did not list them.

Like I already said, some people here cleary don't know the difference between a home console and a portable console.

Well, some of them will.

It would do much better with a better price tag(and with more blockbusters, too. Sure!)
Not even close to Vita-levels of sucking ass. (With worse games to boot.)

Gemüsepizza;40729401 said:
Like I already said, some people here cleary don't know the difference between a home console and a portable console.

Ironically, this is a comment that could easily be directed at Sony.

Hyuga

Banned
Not even close to Vita-levels of sucking ass. (With worse games to boot.)
Well, the DS was the handheld king, sales wise. So no wonder was it a bit better.
But it (-> sales) still sucked. Simple as that!
See -> Nintendo's panic mode

[btw "worse games"? The VITA had a much MUCH better start lineup than the 3DS, my friend ;) ]

Well, some of them will.

Nope.
They were below expecations, but they did not "suck ass". And 3DS does not currently suck in Europe.

Btw, Nintendo at least recognized 3DS was selling below their projections and they went to repair the situation. Sony, instead, keeps saying it's happy, nothing is wrong, Vita is doing fine... That's not a good attitude towards a platform that is really struggling, in each territory, without having so much hope for the future.

Brera

Banned
As a PS3 and vita owner I'm really interested in stuff like motorstorm where you get both versions of the game.

I think thats their major USP, they just need to get the content!

I'd also prefer smaller bite size games for the vita. Cheap and disposable.

My iPhone would be ace If it had dual sticks and controls...Sony need to think about that!

Hyuga

Banned
Nope.
They were below expecations, but they did not "suck ass". And 3DS does not currently suck in Europe.

Btw, Nintendo at least recognized 3DS was selling below their projections and they went to repair the situation. Sony, instead, keeps saying it's happy, nothing is wrong, Vita is doing fine... That's not a good attitude towards a platform that is really struggling, in each territory, without having so much hope for the future.

Dude, the current 3DS sales in europe are BAD.
(they rock in japan, though)

And with the 249€/$ price tag..... ey, they were in panic mode.
Iwata got a 50% paycut. He had to apologize himself.
Come on, be serious!

TDLink

Well, some of them will.

The sales of the 3DS at their lowest point were nowhere near the Vita's at any point so far. 3DS was also trending above DS (you know, the most successful handheld ever) at the same time-frame even before the price cut.

Gemüsepizza;40729401 said:
There are other games. I just listed some of the big IPs. Personally I don't care much about Japanese RPGs, that's why I did not list them.

Oh I know the difference. Like I said no one (or very few rather) is going to buy a handheld version of the same game over a console one. If they have the choice they are going to pick console almost always. Sure some people would like to take BLOPS2 with them on the road but they are not going to buy BLOPS Declassified over BLOPS2. Some might buy both in order to have both but really only the die hard of fans of that particular franchise will do that. Most will just get the console version because that is the experience they have come to expect of that franchise. That's going to leave the Vita versions in the dust. When all but one (Little Big Planet) of your system's "big releases" for the holiday season are ports of console games, or inferior versions coming out the same day as console versions, you have a big issue and that is the exact situation Vita is in right now for this upcoming holiday season.

Gemüsepizza;40729569 said:

Because a lot of their choices for the Vita so far don't demonstrate that they learned much from the PSP.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware or it's functionalities and I even think the price range is fine but I don't understand their current software strategy of "home console on the go".

To be more specific, do enough people care about continuing a game that they play at home while they're out of the house to make Sony's dual home/portable software strategy a sensible one?

Hyuga

Banned
The sales of the 3DS at their lowest point were nowhere near the Vita's at any point so far. 3DS was also trending above DS (you know, the most successful handheld ever) at the same time-frame even before the price cut.
I didn't say the sales were equal to the VITA sales.
Or can you find that point somewhere in my posts?
"Trending" ... nice word.
Doesn't change the fact that the sales where bad.
They started to rise after the pricecut.
God, people.... what the hell?! Why the damage control?

7threst

Come on, be serious!

And at least Nintendo adressed the problem and by doing so fixed it. What is Sony doing? Let me tell you: nothing. Absolutely nothing. Which is pretty pathetic for a company trieing to make their new handheld a succes.

And no, the sales in Europe are not BAD. They could've been better yes, but they could've certainly be a lot worse (unlike the Vita might I add, whch is hitting an all time low...)

TDLink

Anyone remember when Steel Diver was presented as a potential first game for your system?

Steel Diver is a terrible game and the hardcore Nintendo fans who defended that as a "great launch game" are just as bad as the hardcore Sony fans in here acting like there isn't an issue. This is why fanboy extremism is dumb and not conducive to rational discussion. 3DS did have a few good games at launch though (Nintendogs and that Tom Clancy game for example) but Vita's was undoubtedly better. What 3DS did that Vita hasn't was turn it around and release solid content the rest of the year like OOT 3D, SF64 3D, Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, and (in Japan) Monster Hunter 3G.

I can't believe Sony ****ed up another launch after how poorly the PSP did at the start.

I mean really you think a solid launch day lineup is good enough to carry this thing for years with no AAA titles on the horizon?

Pathetically poor planning.

You clearly have a failing memory. PSP hardware did incredibly well at launch. Amazingly well. Sold 3x what NDS did in its launch year, and the only handheld that did better than the PSP in its first year was the GBA.

In software, the PSP had the biggest launch year revenues of any handheld, ever, including the GBA. The NDS didn't even catch up to the PSP until its third year.

In hindsight, piracy/slate killed off the PSP software market quickly beginning in 2008. But for a few years there, Sony had a sales hit.

As for Vita, you can't really pass judgment until the first holiday comes and goes. Sony had a lot of eggs in the Uncharted basket. And while a few titles have performed well like UMC3, MK, FIFA, etc, the Vita needs a big boost in hardware units and software tie ratios to make it. Its struggles in the market are evident.

I love my Vita, but it needs a lot more love for it to survive.

[...]Oh I know the difference. Like I said no one (or very few rather) is going to buy a handheld version of the same game over a console one. If they have the choice they are going to pick console almost always. Sure some people would like to take BLOPS2 with them on the road but they are not going to buy BLOPS Declassified over BLOPS2. Some might buy both in order to have both but really only the die hard of fans of that particular franchise will do that. Most will just get the console version because that is the experience they have come to expect of that franchise. That's going to leave the Vita versions in the dust. When all but one (Little Big Planet) of your system's "big releases" for the holiday season are ports of console games, or inferior versions coming out the same day as console versions, you have a big issue and that is the exact situation Vita is in right now for this upcoming holiday season.

Apparently you do not understand the difference. If I want to game when I am not at home, I buy the portable version. If I want to play when I am at home, I buy the home console version. Really a hard concept...

Because a lot of their choices for the Vita so far don't demonstrate that they learned much from the PSP.

There's nothing wrong with the hardware or it's functionalities and I even think the price range is fine but I don't understand their current software strategy of "home console on the go".

To be more specific, do enough people care about continuing a game that they play at home while they're out of the house to make Sony's dual home/portable software strategy a sensible one?

You act like ALL PS Vita games are only ports - that's simply not true. And just because a game is from a well-known IP does not make it a "home console game on the go".

(they rock in japan, though)

Come on, be serious!

How many units 3DS is selling in Europe? Just asking. You brough the issue, you'll have some numbers to backup your statement, I hope!

Btw, no one said 3DS was selling well before the price cut. It was selling BELOW expectations -that's what I wrote in the post you've just quoted-; that does not mean it was struggling as Vita is doing, indeed it was selling better. Nevertheless, Nintendo made a mistake, they admitted that, and now they're selling nicely in the West and incredibly well in Japan. Sony, on the contrary, seems basically indifferent on Vita's situation and this is quite disturbing if I were a Vita owner.

King_Moc

Banned
It needs to be it's own console. The general public know that versions of CoD and AC won't be as good as the home console versions. I don't see why it needs to be PS3's little brother.

Hyuga

Banned
And at least Nintendo adressed the problem and by doing so fixed it. What is Sony doing?
Well, Nintendo had an easy advantage.
Their handheld was way WAY overpriced.
So they could easly cut the price of the 3DS.
Sony breaks even with the current price tag.

Nintendo had a ton of cash, which they could throw at some developers.
(I still think they moneyhatted SE for MH)
Sony focuses on 1st party titles at the moment.

Sony has to play a different game here.

It needs to be it's own console. The general public know that versions of CoD and AC won't be as good as the home console versions. I don't see why it needs to be PS3's little brother.

A portable console does not compete with home consoles. And why should Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed not be on a portable console? Those are well-known IPs with many fans. Are you suggesting you can not play first-person-shooters or third-person games on a portable console?

Metallix87

Gemüsepizza;40726866 said:
Now you are trolling.

Assassin's Creed: Liberation
Madden 13
FIFA 13
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
Call of Duty: Black Ops declassified
LittleBigPlanet
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Final Fantasy X HD
Killzone
Street Fighter X Tekken

I would be ashamed to present a list like this and actually try accusing others of trolling.

Hyuga

Banned
How many units 3DS is selling in Europe? Just asking. You brough the issue, you'll have some numbers to backup your statement, I hope!
Example: Remenber the sales numbers of the 3DS XL launch in UK?
Which were under 10.000 units (in a few days / not a whole week).
Not good and NOT average for a new hardware update.
That's weak, actually!

Way way way overpriced? How do you know that? I hope you're not referring to iSupply's math, because there's a lot more than components that make the cost of a unit to Nintendo.
If they went to lose something on each unit sold at $170, how could 3DS be way way way etc. overpriced at $250?

Capcom is developing Monster Hunter, first.
Secondly, Monster Hunter 3G and 4's development started in December 2010, when 3DS wasn't released yet. Monster Hunter came from a wide array of agreements, not simply moneyhatting.

Btw, also Nintendo focused and is focusing on 1st party effort, I mean, they're going to release each of their major brands in just 2 years!

That's weak, actually!

Those figures were not confirmed, I think, and UK is not Europe. Furthermore, you're talking about a week, I thought you had many more numbers backing up your brave statement.

TDLink

I didn't say the sales were equal to the VITA sales.
Or can you find that point somewhere in my posts?
"Trending" ... nice word.
Doesn't change the fact that the sales where bad.
They started to rise after the pricecut.
God, people.... what the hell?! Why the damage control?

I didn't say you said those things but you did bring the 3DS into the conversation. I am pointing out that the 3DS was never selling "bad", it was just selling below expectations. You could even see before the price cut was announced that sales jumped up as soon as another good game (OOT 3D) finally was released. Nintendo recognized that and cut its price before even its first holiday season. Sony's sales are much more dire and they are not even considering a similar action to the one Nintendo took when things were a lot better off. That is my point.

Gemüsepizza;40729927 said:
Apparently you do not understand the difference. If I want to game when I am not at home, I buy the portable version. If I want to play when I am at home, I buy the home console version. Really a hard concept...

You act like ALL PS Vita games are only ports - that's simply not true. And just because a game is from a well-known IP does not make it a "home console game on the go".

Before the PS Vita, outside of movie tie ins, there was like never a console and portable version of the exact same game that would release on the exact same day. This is a new scenario and in this scenario most people are going to prefer a console version over a handheld one. Traditionally handheld experiences have been completely different and this is what Vita needs more of to succeed and what 3DS is doing right now to succeed.

Not all Vita games so far are ports but many are. LBP is the only one this holiday that really stands alone. Liberation and Declassified may also not technically be AC3 or BLOPS2 but they are coming out on the exact same days as those "Big brother" games on the consoles. People are not going to buy both the same day, they are getting the console ones.

Gemüsepizza;40729927 said:

I don't think you're understanding what I'm saying. Of course not all Vita games are ports but look at Sony's marketing of the system in the US so far and look back at their PSP marketing.

Sony's focus of their ad campaign so far has been to demonstrate that you can play a game at home and then continue that game on the road. They clearly believe that this is an important feature and a differentiator between themselves and Nintendo's strategy but is that an aspect of the Vita they should be centering their marketing around?

In my mind that only reinforces the idea that the Vita is a port machine of complementary console even if it isn't.

Before the PS Vita, outside of movie tie ins, there was like never a console and portable version of the exact same game that would release on the exact same day. This is a new scenario and in this scenario most people are going to prefer a console version over a handheld one.

Yes. Again: If there is a portable version and a home console version of a game, I will buy the portable version, if I want to play the game when I am not at home. That's how it is supposed to be and there is nothing wrong with it. A port isn't as expensive as a unique game. What is your problem?

Traditionally handheld experiences have been completely different and this is what Vita needs more of to succeed and what 3DS is doing right now to succeed.

There are completely different games. What Sony is trying to do here, is to offer choice. How is that a bad thing?

Not all Vita games so far are ports but many are. LBP is the only one this holiday that really stands alone. Liberation and Declassified may also not technically be AC3 or BLOPS2 but they are coming out on the exact same days as those "Big brother" games on the consoles. People are not going to buy both the same day, they are getting the console ones.

I will buy them on the same day. Why should I not? They are different games with different stories. And even if they would be the same games, I would buy them if I want to play these games on the go.

Hyuga

Banned
I didn't say you said those things but you did bring the 3DS into the conversation. I am pointing out that the 3DS was never selling "bad", it was just selling below expectations. You could even see before the price cut was announced that sales jumped up as soon as another good game (OOT 3D) finally was released. Nintendo recognized that and cut its price before even its first holiday season. Sony's sales are much more dire and they are not even considering a similar action to the one Nintendo took when things were a lot better off. That is my point.
Well, that's your opinion. And I respect that.
But I disagree though ;)
They were bad and not only "below expectations.
Therefor the panic mode of Iwata & Nintendo.
Enough of that.
You know my opinion, I know yours :)

Metallix87

Gemüsepizza;40730204 said:
Very constructive.

Dude, you accused me of trolling, and then presented a list comprised mostly of ports, and even had the audacity to add a PS3 exclusive game because "you're sure it'll show up on Vita eventually". Have you no shame?

TDLink

Gemüsepizza;40730133 said:
A portable console does not compete with home consoles. And why should Call of Duty and Assassin's Creed not be on a portable console? Those are well-known IPs with many fans. Are you suggesting you can not play first-person-shooters or third-person games on a portable console?

Of course those types of games should be on handheld, just not the exact same days their bigger and fuller mainline entries are coming out on console. Your purchases, whether they be for handheld or console are competing in terms of which gets money from your wallet.

That's weak, actually!

Those numbers weren't actually confirmed and also only represent one small part of the European region. Moreover, a redesign launch is not the same as a system launch. Big sales aren't going to happen for a couple months still as we jump into the holiday season.

see5harp

But I disagree though ;)
Enough of that.

Dude why are you even bringing up 3DS sales? This shit is about the mess that Vita is in. Nintendo already turned around their fortunes. Their ship has been straightened. Talk about Vita.

VanWinkle

Terrible

As someone who went PSP over DS last gen, this list looks WAY too familiar....but without the quirky Japanese RPGs.

LittleBigPlanet is not a console port. LBP Karting does not exist for Vita, and I believe Madden 13 for Vita is not a console port either. So 2 accusations based on past portable titles (CoD and Assassin's Creed) 4 console ports, and 5 original titles.

Dude, you accused me of trolling, and then presented a list comprised mostly of ports, and even had the audacity to add a PS3 exclusive game because "you're sure it'll show up on Vita eventually". Have you no shame?

Dude, that's a list that will increase Vita sales. We can argue about how much, but this is a fact. And I love how you ignore what I wrote after this list.

Of course those types of games should be on handheld, just not the exact same days their bigger and fuller mainline entries are coming out on console. Your purchases, whether they be for handheld or console are competing in terms of which gets money from your wallet.

And I can only buy one game and only on this day? I did not know this. :(

On a more serious note: Launching some (about how many games are we talking here?) games on the same day as their home console version makes advertisment cheaper for the publishers.

Name Sony's top 5 developers then see how many of them are developing for the Vita.

Hyuga

Banned
You're not able to backup your thesis. Simple and clean.
I am! I'm just too lazy to google all the numbers again.
But looking at your great posts... damn, you have enough time, as it seems.
So google and judge them.
[doesn't metter how these numbers are. They will always be "good" for you ;) I got it]

Name Sony's top 5 developers then see how many of them are developing for the Vita.
Name Sony's top 5 developers, which have admitted that they aren't working on a VITA game (except ND)

Jeff-DSA

I feel pretty betrayed by Sony in regards to the Vita. I bought a First Edition Bundle. I bought a bunch of launch window games. I bought accessories. Now they can't even give me a game to play each month. Yeah, there are some nice games on the Vita, but the trickle pace at which they come out is embarrassingly slow.

And the games that are coming out, it's like a flood of ports, simplified console games (Gravity Rush would have been so much better on PS3), or re-releases with a spit shine applied to them. We need good, original experiences, with a handheld environment focus.

7threst

Gemüsepizza;40730730 said:
Dude, that's a list that will increase Vita sales. We can argue about how much, but this is a fact. And I love how you ignore what I wrote after this list.

Fyi, something is not 'factual' if it is not proven...

TDLink

Gemüsepizza;40730483 said:
Yes. Again: If there is a portable version and a home console version of a game, I will buy the portable version, if I want to play the game when I am not at home. That's how it is supposed to be and there is nothing wrong with it. A port isn't as expensive as a unique game. What is your problem?

There are completely different games. What Sony is trying to do here, is to offer choice. How is that a bad thing?

I will buy them on the same day. Why should I not? They are different games with different stories. And even if they would be the same games, I would buy them if I want to play these games on the go.

There is nothing wrong with those games existing on the system. There is something wrong when those titles are most of the "big games" on the horizon. Frankly, most people do not think like you and are willing to essentially plop down $100 on each game just so they can have a portable and console version.

But I disagree though ;)
Enough of that.

It's not opinion, it's fact. The 3DS sales were not optimal but they were not outright bad as they were still trending above their predecessor (DS) for the same time period. They are also a lot better now. The Vita sales have never been as good as the lowest point in the 3DS' sales, even before the price cut. These are all facts, not opinions.

Hyuga

Banned
I chuckled.

I know!
I saw your PSASBR/Kamiya thread.

It's not opinion, it's fact. The 3DS sales were not optimal but they were not outright bad as they were still trending above their predecessor (DS) for the same time period. They are also a lot better now. The Vita sales have never been as good as the lowest point in the 3DS' sales, even before the price cut. These are all facts, not opinions.
Funny how it's a fact, because you say so.
Whatever, dude. I made my point.

And again your "never as bad as VITA" stuff.....
As I have already said: Sure they weren't as low as that. The 3DS had the DS hype during its launch.
Doesn't change the fact that the sales were bad at the beginning.
Again: See -> Nintendo's panic button.

Are my comments somehow hurting your feelings?
It's okay, dude. I have my opinion, you have yours.
I already said, I have enough of the "bad/below exsp. talk" for today :)
It's late here in europe ;P

mboojigga

Gemüsepizza;40730483 said:

Your missing the point. You keep responding about what you individually will do. You don't equal up with what mainstream IS doing and that is not buying the consoles or games. This whole discussion has been about mass acceptance, not what you or 10 other people say They will individually do. This one thread about buying for both systems. We already have the data that tells us so far this system is a flop. Anyone saying that it needs time is kidding themselves. Sony had the previous experience to learn from with the PSP and they they still managed to fuck it up. Again they announced we are only looking at the hardcore for our system. The same mistake they did with the PSP and then left even more of a bad taste with PSP Go. The system IMO came too late. No exclusive titles are going to save the Vita. Games on the PSP were not why they were being bought outside of Japan. The system is dead on arrival because most of mainstream still just see a PSP.

Top Bottom