• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God Of War: Ascension - PAX 2012 Furies Trailer

Sid

I still doubt this. They did say it was going to be more like 1 after all and 1 is easily the shortest. You can beat it in 6 hours.
Chains of olympus is the shortest followed by ghost of sparta then 1 which was around 8 hours for me on the first playthrough

I still doubt this. They did say it was going to be more like 1 after all and 1 is easily the shortest. You can beat it in 6 hours.

Who cares? I hope it's 10 hour joy ride, rather than a 14 hour boring ride filled with shitty Labyrinth levels, to artificially inflate the length.

Derrick01

Banned
Chains of olympus is the shortest followed by ghost of sparta then 1 which was around 8 hours for me on the first playthrough

I was only talking about real god of war games ;)

SniperHunter said:
Who cares? I hope it's 10 hour joy ride, rather than a 14 hour boring ride filled with shitty Labyrinth levels, to artificially inflate the length.

I prefer a 14 hour joy ride over a really linear 8 hour game that's going to make me regret spending $60 on.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't like the style they've latched onto for their CG promo stuff. I don't know why they think that color is the best one.

This reveal was a little lackluster, but I can't really blame them for not killing themselves putting something amazing together for a PAX panel while they're in the final stretch of development.

The in game model of the Fury looked technically good, but the design needs some additional detail. I was immediately disappointed to see a scene set at night, as it brought back memories of the visual dullness of much of GOW3 compared to the prior two games, but upon reflection, GOW1 had lots of Athens at night and it was fine. Still, the environment looked a little too familiar.

I expect the Fury design will look better by release and this doesn't really diminish my anticipation of the game.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

I can't believe anyone believes this game will actually be 14 hours long for anyone other than the very slowest players. Papy has already said many times that it's about as long as GOW1 (which I have no problem with whatsoever). There's no world in which that game is 14 hours long. And just because someone, somewhere took 14 hours to beat it doesn't make a 14 hour long game. That's a near meaningless way to define game length.

Of course saying GOW1 is 6 hours long is erring in the opposite direction and taking a relatively fast playtime and declaring it to be the game's length. To beat it in 6 hours as an inexperienced player you'd have to run past a lot of things rather than searching for chests.

Derrick01

Banned
those games are good, I liked them better than the PS2 God of Wars. Ready at Dawn is a great developer.

I don't know how. They're like the 3 god of war games but without the spectacle and scale. So they're not really god of war games basically.

Sid said:
Lots of games are linear what's wrong with that?

Everything. But that's another story for another thread.

The more linear your game is the longer and better the game has to be to justify a $60 price, because since it's linear there's no reason to replay it. Castlevania being over 20 hours was well done and it only had around 2 hours that chugged a bit. So it was a well done ~18 hour linear game.

Sid

Derrick wishes every game was open-world
I like open world and linear games i don't think there is anything wrong with either,though after ascension i hope ssm will be find a middle ground between lords of shadow and darksiders and make their next trilogy based on that

Derrick wishes every game was open-world

Tried the multiplayer in Gamescom and it was really nice, flowed smoothly and had these smartly set "rules" to make combat feel balanced.

It amazed me how quickly the other players started to grasp the system and proceeded to kick my ass :(

Sid

Tried the multiplayer in Gamescom and it was really nice, flowed smoothly and had these smartly set "rules" to make combat feel balanced.

It amazed me how quickly the other players started to grasp the system and proceeded to kick my ass :(
Was the combat impactful like the sp and did everyone die a lot?

yea I also like both open world and linear games. But when it comes to linear games, they need to take a Crysis open sandbox sort of approach to linearity. Of course most developers can't do that because of lack of ram.

Sid

yea I also like both open world and linear games. But when it comes to linear games, they need to take a Crysis open sandbox sort of approach to linearity. Of course most developers can't do that because of lack of ram.
Hopefully next gen with the ps4 and gow4

Everything. But that's another story for another thread.

The more linear your game is the longer and better the game has to be to justify a $60 price, because since it's linear there's no reason to replay it. Castlevania being over 20 hours was well done and it only had around 2 hours that chugged a bit. So it was a well done ~18 hour linear game.
I totally agree games especially the linear ones need to have a lot of playtime,'quality over quantity' i get that,though gow remains my favorite i hope ssm find a way to sustain the quality for a much longer duration like castlevania or darksiders do though to replay a linear game like gow for me hardest difficulty or no upgrade runs are fine

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
that's what I am thinking. With 4 GB of ram, developers will be able to design their games around bigger sandbox maps. PS3 especially can't handle open world games at all.

PS3 has all the same open world games as 360 so I don't know what you're talking about.

I really don't think that as soon as devs have more power they're all going to say "finally, we can make that open world game we've always wanted to."

GOW is linear because that's the philosophy they've anchored themselves to and it's probably what they're best at. I'd like to see a GOW game that adopts some of the tropes of Metroid and Zelda, but the devs might not be interested in that, regardless of console power.

PS3 has all the same open world games as 360 so I don't know what you're talking about.

I really don't think that as soon as devs have more power they're all going to say "finally, we can make that open world game we've always wanted to."

and they all look bad and run even worse. Most first party Sony developers have chosen to go for better graphics, linear levels and 30 FPS which is what PS3 is good at.

Hmmmm, Infamous 2 is one of the best looking and playing open world games on consoles though

Infamous 2 has a horrendous frame rate, it gets really really bad at certain points

Sid

GOW is linear because that's the philosophy they've anchored themselves to and it's probably what they're best at. I'd like to see a GOW game that adopts some of the tropes of Metroid and Zelda, but the devs might not be interested in that, regardless of console power.
I think after ascension this series should have a new trilogy with lots of changes and increase the adventure by being more open and having a lot more playtime like C:los and be more open like darksiders 1,ofc i'm not saying it should be exactly like them but incorporate what these titles do best and put it in the already existing gow formula or create a new formula

C:LoS

"open"

Alrighty then. And I think the last thing this series need is more filler like half of LoS or Darksiders 2 a million and one fetch quests

Sid

C:LoS

"open"

Alrighty then. And I think the last thing this series need is more filler like half of LoS or Darksiders 2 a million and one fetch quests
Sry i meant like C:los in terms of length or somewhere close and open like dakrsiders 1 without the backtracking,i'm playing 2 right now and yeah i should edit that post

Was the combat impactful like the sp and did everyone die a lot?

The impact of hits was definitely there, and yes people were dying often, or at least I way :p

Point is it wont take too many hits to down someone. There's 7 months till release so they could still re-balance that.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
and they all look bad and run even worse. Most first party Sony developers have chosen to go for better graphics, linear levels and 30 FPS which is what PS3 is good at.

They look a little worse, they run a little worse. It's a far cry from "can't handle." As for the second point, linear games at 30fps always look better than open world games. That's not unique to the PS3. It's pure speculation to say PS3 devs are avoiding open world games to play to the console's strengths. You don't think the right team dedicated to making a PS3 exclusive open world game could make a stunning open world game?

Infamous 2 has a horrendous frame rate, it gets really really bad at certain points

Are you using the Infamous series as the the basis for your whole argument here? I know they are the only open world PS3 exclusives, but it's only two data points (one data point if you cluster by developer). You can't draw conclusions about what the PS3 is capable of from those two games.

Also, is Infamous the only open world game where the framerate gets "really really bad at certain points"? I doubt it.

Are you using the Infamous series as the the basis for your whole argument here? I know it's the only open world PS3 exclusive, but it's only one data point. You can't draw conclusions about what the PS3 is capable of from those two games.

I have played other open world games on PS3 here's what I noticed:

Sub 720p resolution
Jaggy image quality
Sub 30 FPS
A lot of pop ins (low level of detail)
Crap textures.
overall pretty poor graphics

VS

Linear games:

720P resolution
30 FPS maintained most of the time
Good graphics
Clean image quality

If you had the choice between the two in this super competitive industry, what would you go with? It's pretty evident most Sony developers have chosen to go with the second option.

Odoul

If there's a troop of them I hope they have distinct personalities and quirks like Foxhound.

They sort of remind of the proposed Amazons seeking revenge for Ares death that were cut from part 3.

There was some badass art of them that I can't seem to find. They had glowing blue eyes and there were hundreds of them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I have played other open world games on PS3 here's what I noticed:

Sub 720p resolution
Jaggy image quality
Sub 30 FPS
A lot of pop ins (low level of detail)
Crap textures.
overall pretty poor graphics

VS

Linear games:

720P resolution
30 FPS maintained most of the time
Good graphics
Clean image quality

If you had the choice between the two in this super competitive industry, what would you go with? It's pretty evident most Sony developers have chosen to go with the second option.

It's completely evident that they've chosen to go with the second option. There is also some reason to choose it. That information alone, by the rules of logic, doesn't prove anything about why they chose it.

Sid

If there's a troop of them I hope they have distinct personalities and quirks like Foxhound.

They sort of remind of the proposed Amazons seeking revenge for Ares death that were cut from part 3.

There was some badass art of them that I can't seem to find. They had glowing blue eyes and there were hundreds of them.
Where did you read about this?i know polyphmeus was cut but never even heard of the amazons before

It's completely evident that they've chosen to go with the second option. There is also some reason to choose it. That information alone, by the rules of logic, doesn't prove that's why they chose it.

Darke stranded on a lush open island similar to the one seen in Crysis. 1 path but many ways to get there (take the boat, take a jeep, swim walk through the forest etc). Now, are you saying they would rather keep the corridor jungles of Uncharted? Cause if they had the ram and the horse power, they would have gone with the first option.

We will see what happens when the PS4 is released.

Ein Bear

Darke stranded on a lush open island similar to the one seen in Crysis. 1 path but many ways to get there (take the boat, take a jeep, swim walk through the forest etc). Now, are you saying they would rather keep the corridor jungles of Uncharted? Cause if they had the ram and the horse power, they would have gone with the first option.

Are you honestly saying that the only reason the Uncharted series isn't open-world is because Naughty Dog are incapable of making it so, due to the PS3's lack of blast processing?

You... realise we had a load of open world games on the PS2 right? I have no idea what you're talking about. Nor what it has to do with God of War.

Are you honestly saying that the only reason the Uncharted series isn't open-world is because Naughty Dog are incapable of making it so, due to the PS3's lack of ram and a decent gpu?

Yes, and PS2 has nothing to do with this. PS2 was a good system for it's time and Naughty Dog exploited it well. Like I said, we will see what happens when PS4 is released. I am betting the next Uncharted game will take in an open sandbox like levels seen in Crysis 1.

we were talking about linear games on this generation of consoles...anyway back to GoW

Odoul

Where did you read about this?i know polyphmeus was cut but never even heard of the amazons before

There was some concept art released a few months before the game released. I don't know if it ever got passed the art stage.

I can't find the specific thread with it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yes, and PS2 has nothing to do with this. PS2 was a good system for it's time and Naughty Dog exploited it well. Like I said, we will see what happens when PS4 is released. I am betting the next Uncharted game will take in an open sandbox like levels seen in Crysis 1.

An open-world Uncharted won't happen until Naughty Dog moves beyond its proclivity for "cinematic storytelling".

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism

The implicit assumption you're making is that IF someone can an open world, THEN they will definitely choose to. That is, of course, ludicrous.

Sid

An open-world Uncharted won't happen until Naughty Dog moves beyond its proclivity for "cinematic storytelling".
Assassin's creed games are cinematic and they are open world but i doubt anyone would want uc or gow to have a full open world like ac just something like darksiders without the backtracking(for gow) or crysis(for uc) next gen will do

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The Jak games were also pretty cinematic and yet they were open world games....try again bro.

And GTAIV is "also pretty cinematic", but not in the same sense that the Uncharted games are. Naughty Dog currently designs games that make the player feel as though they're working their way through a movie and that experience can't be replicated when removing the linear constraints and doing away with the restrictions of player agency.

Ein Bear

Yes, and PS2 has nothing to do with this.

Buh?

Despite the fact that loads exist, you're arguing that:

PS3 especially can't handle open world games at all.

Despite the fact that it's vastly less powerful predecessor had lots and lots of open world games.

There's no technical reason Uncharted couldn't have been open world, they just didn't want to make that kind of game. I don't understand why you think that EVERY developer is secretly wishing they could make their projects open-world, but are constrained by power.

Hell, the closest thing I can think of to 'open world Uncharted' already exists on the system. Just Cause 2 runs great on the PS3.

Despite the fact that it's (PS2) vastly less powerful predecessor had lots and lots of open world games.

You have no idea of how tech works...you are not taking DX9 shaders into account, which are extremely performance intensive on PS3. PS2 had no shaders, it was different for it's time. Please stop.

There's no technical reason Uncharted couldn't have been open world, they just didn't want to make that kind of game. I don't understand why you think that EVERY developer is secretly wishing they could make their projects open-world, but are constrained by power.

The technical reasons are present if you pop an open world game into the PS3. Just look at the Crysis on PS3, that's what an open world Uncharted would be like on PS3. Running at sub 720p at 20 frames per second.

The implicit assumption you're making is that IF someone can an open world, THEN they will definitely choose to. That is, of course, ludicrous.

Given Naughty Dog's past they definitely would have. There is absolutely no reason to stick with static, linear corridor jungles once they get their hands on the PS4 dev kits. The next Uncharted will have open sandbox levels as seen in the original Crysis. Mark my word and feel free to bump this thread once the first media of Uncharted 4 is released.

Given Naughty Dog's past they definitely would have. There is absolutely no reason to stick with static, linear corridor jungles once they get their hands on the PS4 dev kits. The next Uncharted will have open sandbox levels as seen in the original Crysis. Mark my word and feel free to bump this thread once the first media of Uncharted 4 is released.

That is not going to happen , the next UC game most likely going to be like MGS you going from point A to B but you have many ways to get there on foot .
This is what ND is doing with TLOU , UC will never be a full open world game because it will now longer fell like a movie if they can't control the pace.

Raptor

I honestly can't wait for this, the fact that they will use creatures that I probably don't know about makes it more interesting for me, I hope they use lots of creatures.

That is not going to happen , The next UC game most likely going to be like MGS you going from point A to B but you have many ways to get there on foot .
This is what ND is doing with TLOU , UC will never be a full open world game because it will now longer fell like a movie cause the can't control the pace.

Open world isn't the same as open sandbox. Haven't you played Crysis 1? it's easy to control the pacing...they controlled the pace well in Jak 3 and that was an open world game.

Anyway let's stop now.

Open world isn't the same as open sandbox. Haven't you played Crysis 1? it's easy to control the pacing...they controlled the pace well in Jak 3 and that was an open world game.

Anyway let's stop now.

Has ND said anything to suggest they're returning to Uncharted? I figured they were letting it go the way of Jak & Daxter.

Which reminds me I should probably finish Uncharted 3 someday.

Has ND said anything to suggest they're returning to Uncharted? I figured they were letting it go the way of Jak & Daxter.

They usually abandon an IP after 3 mainline games. Crash 1, 2, 3 > Jak 1, 2, 3 > Uncharted 1, 2, 3. Maybe they are working on The Last of Us 2 for PS4 already? Or maybe another new IP for PS4?

Sid

Uncharted and gow are way too big to be abandoned especially in the current video game climate

Top Bottom