• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Valhalla Is Surprisingly Awesome

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I have a question. Reason I don't wanna go back at the moment is because I haven't played in long time and don't remember the controls and armor shit.

Can I just jump into this and go or better to play the story a bit to get familiar with it again?

Also don't have the room on PS5 because baldurs gate 3 been sitting on it since launch waiting for me to start it lol
Nah, just jump into it. it eases you in with a bunch of smaller rooms before you get to bigger more challenging rooms. I have forgotten a lot of the skills I had unlocked (they remain unlocked/maxed out in the dlc) but its coming back slowly.

the campaign starts and stops every five seconds with cutscenes and walking segments so you will be spending like 2 hours just watching cutscenes instead of doing several runs of this dlc and getting used to the combat in there.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Any game or mode that has replayabiity (horde modes, tons of open world to explore, random generated levels and loot, lots of MP modes etc...) will always get bonus pts IMO.

NewYork214

Just wanna say this thread got me to actually download and I'm absolutely loving it. They did a really good job with with mode and story is worth it. People who have played the series from the beginning will really love it.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
game is dope, its finally starting to kick my ass. incredible combat. best in the genre

need a PS5 only GOW, seriously

Last edited:
I loved 2018, but really hated Ragnarok. Is this worth playing despite that?

Did you hate Ragnarok for it's gameplay or pacing? I think it has to be the latter because I don't think there's any way someone can objectively claim 2018 has better combat.

But it's not quite a single player experience. It's a neat gameplay loop Roguelite. Definitely worth a try if you still have access to Valhalla for free.

Last edited:

Faust

Perpetually Tired
Staff Member
Did you hate Ragnarok for it's gameplay or pacing? I think it has to be the latter because I don't think there's any way someone can objectively claim 2018 has better combat.

But it's not quite a single player experience. It's a neat gameplay loop Roguelite. Definitely worth a try if you still have access to Valhalla for free.

Everything. I found the combat to be far less satisfying, the pacing to be abysmal, and the writing to be atrocious.

Everything. I found the combat to be far less satisfying, the pacing to be abysmal, and the writing to be atrocious.

Hmm I dunno, what aspect of the combat did you not like specifically?

I thought the expanded options/weapons and enemies were a pretty substantial improvement over 2018

Fights felt more engaging to me but maybe some don’t like that frenetic pace with a variety of mobs

GymWolf

Totally opposite for me, it awfully feels dated somehow. Maybe it's the characters faces,that moment with Freya lifelessly looking at Kratos, that was rough.

Faces have always been santa monica lower point in their graphic.

many ps4 games have better faces.

Last edited:

cripterion

Faces have always been santa monica lower point in their graphic.

many ps4 games have better faces.

Yeah it's a shame cause it's kinda distracting for such a cinematic game.

I thought PS studios shared technology with each other. They could use some help from ND.

Last edited:
0 interest in anything God of war related ever... until I read the word "Hades" just now... Wish I did not have to buy the main game tho... 0 interest there still

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I didn’t like it either and I thought I was a big GoW fan. I was there day 1 for all the other games. I couldn’t get into the plot and the gameplay wasn’t all that engaging. I guess the wow factor wasn’t there for me. I watched the final spoiler online and it’s ok. Cool that it’s free. I’d rather fight the Nameless King, but that’s just me. :)

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I fuckin hate rogue anythings
I fuckin hate Hades
I fuckin hated Ragnarok
I fuckin loved GOW 2018
I fuckin loved the old GOWs

First world problems

I wanna check this out

SCB3

I fuckin hate rogue anythings
I fuckin hate Hades
I fuckin hated Ragnarok
I fuckin loved GOW 2018
I fuckin loved the old GOWs

First world problems

I wanna check this out
Luckily its very lite in that Rogue-lite part, for example on the middle difficulty, I've not died yet in about 6 "Runs" and there is always forward progression, its also so far a better story than Ragnorok and leans into the older games,

Then again, who the fuck hates Hades!

SlimySnake

I loved 2018, but really hated Ragnarok. Is this worth playing despite that?
Yes, 100%.

Ragnorak had way too much fluff. Way too many walking segments. Way too many quips. Way too much kratos apologizing, way too many atreus segments, and an extremely underwhelming ending.

This is straight up action. You go from room to room killing people. You will get some story bits here and there but they are short and sweet. then you fight the boss and start over. The story adds new things each time to keep each run feeling fresh just like Hades. What they do better than Hades is have the story play out as you enter some non-combat arenas for loot and upgrades, but instead of being a walking segment of a cutscene, its just kratos, mimir and another person (whom i wont spoil ) talking while kratos upgrades his gear and explores the area for loot. it is still very talky for a GOW game but you can ignore all that.

They added a lot of new or should I say different enemies to the game so the combat feels new again. If you didnt like the combat in ragnorak, you wont enjoy this too much but because you start off with all your skills maxed out, you can at least try out some of the latter skills you didnt get to unlock in the main game. Its no hades in terms of changing your play style run to run, but its extremely addicting . Give it a shot, do at least one full run to the boss and see if you like it to see the rest of the story.

SlimySnake

Finished my third run. Fucking final boss keeps changing his weapons and adding new attacks to his arsenal on each run lmao. thankfully, I am also getting stronger thanks to the perma upgrades so its been manageable.

Its absolutely crazy how each new run is adding more and more new enemies to the game. Game is full of surprises. Im honestly blown away and am reminded of just how good SSM can be as game designers. I didnt much care for the therapy session endings of the last two runs but i guess thats what this game is, very similar to Hades in that regard.

My only real complaint besides the game being overly talky is that their perks system doesnt reward for completely different play styles like in Hades. I can still pretty much play with an Axe on every run. I almost wish they added the cestus or the hammer to spice things up along with some new moves for Kratos. The new rage ability is fantastic but there is very little experimentation when it comes to weapons and moves on each run.

MiguelItUp

I've realized as time has gone on that I just don't care for Ragnarok as much as I did 2018. Not really sure why either, maybe it's just because the overall package of Ragnarok felt like it bogged a lot of things down? I mean, you'd think the latest sequel has better combat, controls, etc. But, I just didn't feel that way. Really cool that they made free DLC though.

I think I'll just watch the story beats instead of giving it a whirl though, I just don't feel like revisiting it unfortunately.

DrFigs

Finished my third run. Fucking final boss keeps changing his weapons and adding new attacks to his arsenal on each run lmao. thankfully, I am also getting stronger thanks to the perma upgrades so its been manageable.

Its absolutely crazy how each new run is adding more and more new enemies to the game. Game is full of surprises. Im honestly blown away and am reminded of just how good SSM can be as game designers. I didnt much care for the therapy session endings of the last two runs but i guess thats what this game is, very similar to Hades in that regard.

My only real complaint besides the game being overly talky is that their perks system doesnt reward for completely different play styles like in Hades. I can still pretty much play with an Axe on every run. I almost wish they added the cestus or the hammer to spice things up along with some new moves for Kratos. The new rage ability is fantastic but there is very little experimentation when it comes to weapons and moves on each run.
i think you're right from what i played. i think this was just a limitation of the base game. even as a rogue like i think there was only so much they could do.

K' Dash

Creating this OT because not only is the Hades like rougelike gameplay is fun and fleshed out with perks, skills and fun combat loop, there is an actual story mode here that is full of surprises so far. Only two hours in and I am surprised at how much they chose not to show in the reveal trailer.

Wont spoil here because everyone needs to experience the awesome story and gameplay surprises, but if you are not sold on this DLC or think this is just a simple throwaway add-on like what ND is doing, read the spoilers.

Big story and gameplay spoilers. Read at your own risk.
Spoiler 1
The game takes you back to mount olympus during one of the random levels and you start encountering enemies from the first three god of war games.
Still not sold?
Spoiler 2
You then get helios who replaces Mimir as the talking head and hilarity ensues. Oh and they give you the spartan sword as the new rage weapon and its fucking awesome.
Still not sold? Main boss spoiler since this is a Hades like game where you are supposed to beat the final boss over and over again to uncover the full story.
The final boss is ..................................... Tyr himself! That was such a fun boss fight.

Whats surprising is that the story keeps changing on every run. i am playing on normal so havent died much but this feels like the best way to do a rougelike game. I am really surprised by this and I wasnt even going to download it. They definitely undersold the game. Oh and no walking segments, no little dipshit, no picking fruits or talking squirrels. This is straight up action and no bullshit.

Also loving how each run feels rewarding. You get Hades like perma upgrades even if you die so no run feels like a wasted run. I am looking at you Returnal. There are like half a dozen new systems introduced with this DLC. This is going to be a fun one to replay.
Excited Wake Up GIF by Originals

I have still to play Ragnarök is it better than 2018 ?
More diversity in enemy types? Yes.

Much longer? Yes

Better? Well, no, not to me. It's less streamlined and has more fat around the edges of the story plus some pretty abysmal "walk and talk" sections.

But overall it's a decently fun time.

Represent.

Credits rolling, waiting to see if theres any after credits.

But the next GOW will be even better than the last 2.

Kratos is fully comfortable with his past now, no regrets - I think Barlog is gonna take us to Egypt.
I consider the Norse mythology completely done now, the story is wrapped up.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Ill triple down. I do like me some Supergiant games, but that shit blows. I just cant stand rogue anything dude lol not my thing at all
That's funny to hear because i fucking hated roguelites before trying hades but the game was so good that he made me like the entire genre as a result.

Too bad that no other roguelites has quite the same complete package.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
That's funny to hear because i fucking hated roguelites before trying hades but the game was so good that he made me like the entire genre as a result.

Too bad that no other roguelites has quite the same complete package.

You know which rogue I can tolerate?

Toejam & Earl :messenger_sunglasses:

GymWolf

Really? :messenger_open_mouth:

Its an old Genesis classic

VJTsbJl.jpg
I was a nintendo dude when i was little, the only sega consoles i had were sega master system 2 plus and sega saturn, hated both :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Only megadrive game i wanted was the one with the 2 kids, one black and one white and blonde killing monsters with their rifles that shot green goop, can't remember the name.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I was a nintendo dude when i was little, the only sega consoles i had were sega master system 2 plus and sega saturn, hated both :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Only megadrive game i wanted was the one with the 2 kids, one boack and one white and blonde killing monsters with their rifles that shot green goop, can't remember the name.

Global Gladiators. Shit was amazeballs. Awesome soundtrack.

2UOxoqL.jpg

GymWolf

Global Gladiators. Shit was amazeballs. Awesome soundtrack.

2UOxoqL.jpg
Since you are good with old games, there was another game that i played in arcade cabinet form that i think it was also on megadrive, you could play in coop and you command a kid, the first weapon was kinda of a yo-yo but you could upgrade with rock spikes or other things.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Since you are good with old games, there was another game that i played in arcade cabinet form that i think it was also on megadrive, you could play in coop and you command a kid, the first weapon was kinda of a yo-yo but you could upgrade with rock spikes or other things.

Oh man you got me there. No idea. When I see yo-yo as a weapon I just think Startropics or Spinmasters and I dont think what you're describing is either lol

Represent.

Senior Writer

The end credits are
definitely leading into a sequel - Maybe another God trie to hunt HIM down and we play as Krato trying to defend the throne

That would be fucking sick

Top Bottom