• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Valhalla Is Surprisingly Awesome

Quantum253

Sounds like a mix if the Mist level where it's a changing battle arena and the hades challenges. I'll give it a go, but arenas and continually dieing to start over gets real tiring for me

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sounds like a mix if the Mist level where it's a changing battle arena and the hades challenges. I'll give it a go, but arenas and continually dieing to start over gets real tiring for me
Play on normal. You won’t die much if at all.

NoobSmog

This was really good for being free content. They could have easily made this $10 and I doubt anyone would have complained. I wonder what the reasoning behind making it free was?

Anyways, after having to relearn playing the game, I can't believe I never realized how garbage the axe was compared to the other weapons. Even the spear pales in comparison to the blades. Aoe, good damage, and the triangle spam into r2 is the most busted move in the entire game.

Played through mostly on 2nd highest difficulty and it felt pretty good. Might try to finish a run on the highest, but I got to the end once, fought one of the berserkers that i completely forgot how to fight and got crushed. It really sucks being so squishy in a roguelite (although the bosses are also less tanky so that helps).

T0minator

FbtMIOs.jpg
this DLC is sooooo good. Makes me wonder how incredible No Return in TLOU2 will be, I'm sure it's going to be just as great

Bartski

Gold Member

Good luck. Show me prowess beats my ass. Show me resolve felt optimal to me but definitely no cakewalk with many fails

Says a lot that long after the credits have rolled and I've earned every trophy I'm still playing Valhalla. Still finding new items related to Kratos' past, still hearing new conversations fleshing out some of the characters. One conversation in particular between Sigrún and Mimir leaves the door open to new DLC/spinoff possibilities...

Favourite weapon to use in the DLC is the spear and it's not even close. Stack this thing with glyphs that augment your spear throw/detonate and enjoy taking out entire rooms standing in place with enemies that can barely move, it's a beautiful thing. I've also found a ??? glyph a couple of times, you have to literally destroy it to gain it's effect which is to replenish your relic charge with a random effect every time it runs out, wild stuff.

DrFigs

i have the PS4 version for my PS5 since day one, what is improved if i get the PS5 upgrade?
higher framerate and i guess you come back faster after dying. i dont think youd be missing much

edit: i guess it must run at 60fps already if you're playing the ps4 version on ps5. so actually not even that

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Started playing this, seems pretty damn cool!

A question: A bit into the thing Mimir says something like "let's talk about the image of you on the shrine we keep seeing". What the hell is he talking about? I don't remember seeing anything like that, unless he's talking about the shrine from Ragnarök. Just want to make sure I didn't somehow miss something.

Edellus

Started playing this, seems pretty damn cool!

A question: A bit into the thing Mimir says something like "let's talk about the image of you on the shrine we keep seeing". What the hell is he talking about? I don't remember seeing anything like that, unless he's talking about the shrine from Ragnarök. Just want to make sure I didn't somehow miss something.
It must be the painted image of Kratos in the shrine at the end of Ragnarok. The same one we keep seeing at the start of every cycle.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Right after we enter Valhalla (bright yellow foggy umbral), in the first room where we pick our first weapon perk, there's an image of Kratos in the bottom-right side of the door to the next area.

Ah, I'll look for that, I've never noticed it lol.

SlimySnake

I found a perk that resets your relic on every hit based on your luck stat, and that has made the final boss a breeze. Been playing on normal this whole time but increased the difficulty one at a time all the way up to the highest difficulty and it surprisingly worked even on the highest difficulty. Used the thousand swords relic like 10 times in that final battle lol.

Its a perfect perk you will get from the agean sea, desert and hercules rooms as well as that 5000 spirit echoes chest. its pretty much impossible to miss it. especially if you can reroll the perks.

I didnt like the hardest difficulty too much. its not fun, but i will probably stick with the second hardest difficulty. i believe thats gmgow.

have everything upgraded now, but i continue playing because the game is so much fun.
FbtMIOs.jpg
this DLC is sooooo good. Makes me wonder how incredible No Return in TLOU2 will be, I'm sure it's going to be just as great
ND isnt ssm. it wont be story based like this.

SlimySnake

This was really good for being free content. They could have easily made this $10 and I doubt anyone would have complained. I wonder what the reasoning behind making it free was?

Anyways, after having to relearn playing the game, I can't believe I never realized how garbage the axe was compared to the other weapons. Even the spear pales in comparison to the blades. Aoe, good damage, and the triangle spam into r2 is the most busted move in the entire game.

Played through mostly on 2nd highest difficulty and it felt pretty good. Might try to finish a run on the highest, but I got to the end once, fought one of the berserkers that i completely forgot how to fight and got crushed. It really sucks being so squishy in a roguelite (although the bosses are also less tanky so that helps).
Axe is definitely the weakest because of the lack of AoE options, but they give you several perks to fix that:
- the whirlwind attacks get a big boost in damage
- the throw then catch attacks generate an AoE frost storm
- the triangle attacks do more damage and frost everyone in the area

Spear and Blades are definitely more powerful and better AoE options, but I like the insane 1v1 potential of the Axe. You will also be given strength perk after strength perk, mix them with realm shift builds and the final boss will go down in seconds.

this is on normal and yes im abusing the relic perk cooldown, but last year i used this build to kill GNA on GMGOW in under a minute while taking no damage. You simply cant do that with any other weapon because their base damage is way too low.

SCB3

It's possible, but at least previously Santa Monica has said that the "Norse saga" is over, if the series continues at some point, it will be in a new setting.

(Cory is working on something at SSM, but it's not God of War related as far as we know)
The big rumors are of Egypt, though I could see a China or Japan focused story as well

Thats a point actually, I wouldn't mind seeing some Aztec or African gods in this setting either

NoobSmog

Axe is definitely the weakest because of the lack of AoE options, but they give you several perks to fix that:
- the whirlwind attacks get a big boost in damage
- the throw then catch attacks generate an AoE frost storm
- the triangle attacks do more damage and frost everyone in the area

Spear and Blades are definitely more powerful and better AoE options, but I like the insane 1v1 potential of the Axe. You will also be given strength perk after strength perk, mix them with realm shift builds and the final boss will go down in seconds.

this is on normal and yes im abusing the relic perk cooldown, but last year i used this build to kill GNA on GMGOW in under a minute while taking no damage. You simply cant do that with any other weapon because their base damage is way too low.

I guess that makes sense. My problem with the axe is all the good attacks are so slow and you just don't have time to do the delayed attacks. Realm shifts would definitely fix that problem, I'll try a shift build out before I put the game down again. Also yeah, I accidently had a build where I was instantly getting runic coolodowns back and that was busted as hell, that would certainly work with any weapon.

Just finished this and man, what a DLC. About 13 hours for me to beat and get all the trophies, which is pretty bonkers for a free DLC. My only real "complaint" about it (and I say this pretty jokingly as it's free) is that I wish there more and it had more variety, in terms of levels. First 2 levels are pretty much the same, as is the last portion before the final boss. Middle part is the most interesting. The mini bosses have a good bit of differences and nice to see some characters if you're a fan of the franchise. I also wish it was just longer. I would have happily payed 30 bucks for runs that were double the length and a little bit more different everytime. Regardless it's a blast.

SlimySnake

I guess that makes sense. My problem with the axe is all the good attacks are so slow and you just don't have time to do the delayed attacks. Realm shifts would definitely fix that problem, I'll try a shift build out before I put the game down again. Also yeah, I accidently had a build where I was instantly getting runic coolodowns back and that was busted as hell, that would certainly work with any weapon.
Here. Found the perfect Axe build for mobs. The most important skill is the one that Auto Frosts your weapon after a combo. (The triangle attack) I was lucky enough to pair it with the extra combo damage perk, extra triangle/frost attack damage perk and an additional R1, R1,R1,+R2 extra combo damage perk. Just completely wiped out everyone in a few hits with the auto frosting and the extra damage on the frost attacks just destroying everything in their path. This run was a blast.

NoobSmog

Here. Found the perfect Axe build for mobs. The most important skill is the one that Auto Frosts your weapon after a combo. (The triangle attack) I was lucky enough to pair it with the extra combo damage perk, extra triangle/frost attack damage perk and an additional R1, R1,R1,+R2 extra combo damage perk. Just completely wiped out everyone in a few hits with the auto frosting and the extra damage on the frost attacks just destroying everything in their path. This run was a blast.

I tried a realm shift for both a blades and an axe run, and it's definitely the most op build. It's the only way to get bosses to stick around to do good damage to them. Every time I do an axe build the damage just seems so low. The autofrost one does seem like one of the best axe perks though. Here's some messing around with realm shifting; I know my blades build was better but the difference in damage between the 2 :messenger_loudly_crying:.

SlimySnake

I tried a realm shift for both a blades and an axe run, and it's definitely the most op build. It's the only way to get bosses to stick around to do good damage to them. Every time I do an axe build the damage just seems so low. The autofrost one does seem like one of the best axe perks though. Here's some messing around with realm shifting; I know my blades build was better but the difference in damage between the 2 :messenger_loudly_crying:.

During realm shift, use the r1,r1,r1,r2,r2 r2 combo for max damage. Increase it with perks. Don’t bother with runic attacks during real shifts, use it for longer combos.

Up your strength stats when using the axe. You can get by with low strength with the blades because of the burn damage and the spear due to stun potential but ace needs all the strength you can get.

Also use the blades r2 r2 r2 combo and mix it with the weapon perk that explodes whenever an r2 attack lands. It will melt everyone in seconds. By far the most the most op build out there.

Having a ton of fun with this, the DLC will be on my goty list at this point.

Have to say, all three weapons feel like all time top tier iconic video game weapons. Both gameplay and design. Just so fun to use. I only wish there were larger groups of fodder enemies to destroy, the rooms seem pretty sparse on that front. But maybe there are ways to adjust that.

Erebus

Is it worth to play the game on PS4 Pro or wait for the inevitable PC port?

EDIT: Probably meant Ragnarok.

Last edited:
Agree OP. I'm pretty damn shocked on how interesting the story seems to be. I really thought this was gonna be pure gameplay and basically nothing more. It does seem like a roughlike done right. My only minor complaint a couple of hours in is the "break" rooms. They seem too big (at least in the early game of this) just to find some echos. Kind of annoying having to look around to where the chest is.
You will eventually unlock abilities that will just pick it up automatically when entering the level.

Great add on and also a really nice little story for kratos. Been very addicting unlocking more and more with every play through and learning what works well.

Finished this today. Being a Rogue like suits Kratos better as character while retaining a good challenge.

He feels alot more powerful here but that you can lose all your progress keeps the tension and challenge in check. Obviously if you get a good run he feels appropriately God like. The Boss fight with Tyr feels like two Gods going at it.

In the base game Kratos dying in 1 or 2 hits too maintain challenge really goes against his character despite being fun.

This was a truly excellent DLC better than Resident evil 4 separate ways which was very good. Amazing that it was free.

Between this and Returnal I've decided I love Roguelite and Roguelikes. I hear Hades is good...goes to PStore its on a sale... Bought!

SlimySnake

I hear Hades is good...goes to PStore its on a sale... Bought!
Hades beat TLOU2 at the DICE awards for GOTY, it is THAT good.

It is a full fledged game with an incredible story that keeps you going for dozens of runs even after you beat it. The variety is insane. Every run feels different. combat is sublime. I played it for well over 100 hours and had a blast on each run.

It is a full fledged game with an incredible story that keeps you going for dozens of runs even after you beat it. The variety is insane. Every run feels different. combat is sublime. I played it for well over 100 hours and had a blast on each run.
Just started it last night! It's is very good I'am not blow away yet but I will give it more time. Barely started only just beat the first boss!

Luipadre

I just redownloaded it, because hades 2 is still like 6 months away and holy shit. First time playing it on my OLED monitor at 240hz. Its a marvel to look at

Last edited:

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Finally "finished" the DLC! It was really good, and only a few things are between me and 100% completion. I just hope that this is not the last of Kratos, because I fear that this is a perfect end for him as a playable character, like Uncharted 4 was for Nathan drake.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'm having so much fun with it but mandatory shore visits kinda sucks. I've played probably 10 hours so far. I never play a game again after credits, souls games included; this is first. Miyazaki should take some notes. What a great dlc.

Oh, fck me. It has ended after defeating Tyr(after fourth time?). I though there will be another part called "upper realm" after Tyr fight and lowered the difficulty for the last fight. It turns out, I've already mastered the upper realms lol.

Yeah, whatever, it was a great experience. It was better then the main game in terms of pure gameplay.

Last edited:

DrFigs

Finally beat it. I think it was great. Really good for a free DLC. I will say I lost interest in the story pretty early on. It was just pretty obvious where it was going, so the cutscenes were just kind of agonizing when all I wanted to do was another run. I played it on the 2nd highest difficulty and it kicked my ass for a long time.

The trophies are pretty weird on this, i think. There's all these challenges to do, but you don't have to do any of them to get trophies. Like they're just there. There are multiple optional bosses after you complete the story. But again, neither give you trophies. odd decision imo.

Neolombax

Loved Valhalla. It gave more of what I wanted from Ragnarok, which was more action. Managed to beat the final boss a few times, got the different cutscenes. What was the most surprising to me was the amount of story they put into this. It expanded a lot on Kratos, gave more perspective even from his previous adventures. The new perks were fun to play around with, and I actually tried out a lot of the relics, shields and abilities that I didn't even use during the main game. This is an extremely solid content and I'll echo just about everyone who has tried this out, I cannot believe this is free.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
To me it’s outstanding they took kratos and made him a Viking, can we get revolutionary kratos next? Somehow WW2 Pearl Harbor Pilot Kratos sounds exciting.

IMG-3647.jpg

“Imagine kratos with a gun, bro” is what they’re saying in corporate board meetings right now.

Top Bottom