• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead or Alive 5 |OT| Put a little bounce in your sidestep!

Dany

Banned
Jeff Gerstmann seems really excited to do a quick look of the story mode. Makes it sound totally absurd.

I'm down.

I know, and thats weird for me. He is a big fighting game dude, I dunno where he stands on DOA but its awesome to hear him excited about it. I hope everything besides the story resonates with him.

I really wanna pick this game up now.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
May I ask which fighting games have been revolutionary/ Innovative this gen? What unique mechanics they have that were not done before?
So far I've seen people calling it like it brings nothing new to the table but most fighting games what have been doing is just giving more flashy cinematic specials.
The reviewers seem to want the games to do more things than they should.

Cinematic Specials? (Nothing more than flashier looking special moves)
X-Rays MK9
Power Blows DOA5
Ultras SF4
Critical Edge (SCIV-V)
etc

Fleshed out Story mode? (Does it change the core mechanics of the game besides being cinematic or book style? Not really but its a nice extra)
MK9
SCV (Kinda tried even if it failed)
Persona 4 Arena
BlazBlue
Dead or Alive 5

A new game mode that changes the gameplay?
Tekken 6 Mission Mode (Kill it with fire)

ohhh I forgot the most revolutionary thing this generation in fighting games! Gems in Street fighter X Tekken lol.

JKTrix

DBZ Hyper Dimension on the SNES had 'power blows'.

I'm not familiar with how 'full games' on PSN work. Is this going to be available to download tonight at midnight PST?

Airgetlam

I'm not familiar with how 'full games' on PSN work. Is this going to be available to download tonight at midnight PST?
I think you'll have to wait until the PSN store updates, which isn't at midnight. Not sure what time it updates specifically though.

DR2K

Banned

You had an ability where you can charge attack into super/animation and choose the partition to launch them in?

It'll probably be when it updates on Tuesday afternoon.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Online netcode feels like Tekken 6. Gone against 10 or so different region opponents and haven't found a 'good' feeling match yet.

Vazra

I'm was being sarcastic since those are nothing more than flashier looking special moves overall.

Fleshed out Story Modes existed in Ps1 with Tobal and Ps2/GC/Xbox had Mortal Kombat Armageddon and some others had them too. (Memory fails)

Most games in terms of new mechanics havent done much than add up flashier looks and fancier names to existing things while tweaking some of the things that were maybe not so polished before in other games.

There might have been 1 or 2 that might have done something new but my memory isn't bringing anything up at the moment. Anyhow back to DOA.

Yay, CE get.

Make an unboxing video!

I'm jelly of those who are getting the game now and at 12am T_T

raven777

TTT2 has high-poly models? It looks like ass in screenshots and video. Like really colorful and all the cool effects or whatever, but jaggy. Aren't they still using the character models from Tekken 5?

I love TTT2, but their character models are bad, especially the female characters.

I like some male characters, and they did good job on muscles (like Jin, Kazuya, etc). But like when I look at Asuka, at character customization, its ridiculous.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I love TTT2, but their character models are bad, especially the female characters.

I like some male characters, and they did good job on muscles (like Jin, Kazuya, etc). But like when I look at Asuka, at character customization, its ridiculous.

Bet you wished they looked like their cg models, or the guest art :p

Dany

Banned
I love the music in the game, i've never actually sought out to listen them outside the game but atl east for DOA3 and 4 along with NG Black the soundtracks were great.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
haha thats asking way too much. But I do wish they were little more polished.

I ment the art direction on their characters. The in game models don't really resemble the characters cg models. It's like the in game characters for the most part are horrible clones.

raven777

I ment the art direction on their characters. The in game models don't really resemble the characters cg models. It's like the in game characters for the most part are horrible clones.

yea I agree with that. But males characters look very similar to the CG for the most part.

Anyways, are the reviews going to hit when it hits midnight? or sometime during middle of tomorrow?

First two reviews on Metacritic are a 6 and a 7. D:

Don't understand the complaints about bringing nothing new. DOA 5 seems to be a massive leap over the last game. What else can Team Ninja do?

DR2K

Banned
First two reviews on Metacritic are a 6 and a 7. D:

Don't understand the complaints about bringing nothing new. DOA 5 seems to be a massive leap over the last game. What else can Team Ninja do?

Give reviewers gift baskets. Pretty rude of them not to.

Ken

Art book is mostly filled with pictures of the in-game characters in their costumes. There's about 7 pages with concept art of characters in costume. The last bit it is just pictures of stages.

Here's the soundtrack list I guess if anyone cares. I'm pretty new to the franchise so I can't comment on the quality of the soundtrack.

Aside from that there's two slips of paper; one for a digital snippet of the Kokoro section from the Prima guide and the other for the swimsuits. Oh yeah, and a poster. My lenses are acting funny hmmm.

Vazra

Official Xbox Magazine UK
There's very little new in Dead or Alive 5. It's built on tried, true and perhaps tepid fighting game foundations, but given the depth it's difficult to fault it for that. Fighting game players in search of something completely new might be better off holding out for Persona 4 Arena. But if it's just a solid, technical fighter you're after, Dead or Alive fits the bill.
Gamereactor Sweden
Team Ninja fails to live up to the expectations in the latest Dead or Alive title. The breast physics and flashy backgrounds seem to have gotten more love than the actual fighting engine, and in the end Dead or Alive 5 is little more than mediocre.

All seems to be about little to nothing new and not say anything about the additions. It seems Tecmo forgot to send the checks with their copies overall.

Just played this for about an hour, I'm pretty disappointed with this. After the amount of time I've put into DOAU2 and 4 I was looking forward to this a bit. It feels like the same old crap. I'll give it a shot again someday when it gets a lot cheaper. It runs smooth on PS3 at least and I love that they kept the thing if you pick random characters and stage it keeps switching at rematch.
Don't murder me gaf.

DR2K

Banned
Just played this for about an hour, I'm pretty disappointed with this. After the amount of time I've put into DOAU2 and 4 I was looking forward to this a bit. It feels like the same old crap. I'll give it a shot again someday when it gets a lot cheaper. It runs smooth on PS3 at least and I love that they kept the thing if you pick random characters and stage it keeps switching at rematch.
Don't murder me gaf.

You played it for an hour, come on buddy, lol.

Vazra

Vandal.net (big Spanish web) gave the game a 9.2
Actually a bit more detailed than others.

They still say the game plays pretty much the same with some improvements (Not completely detailed) and smooth as the others. I think I saw a a bit of talk of cliff hangers and power blows. The game overall still remains fun to play and it seems they enjoyed the story mode. They talked about VF characters low quality audio compared to DOA cast. They liked the music and overall said that they can't really say which is better between DOA5 and TTT2 since both are great games that appeal different audiences and can probably coexist.

Is the core gameplay going to change after an hour? Its just my opinion. I'm not calling it trash or anything.

Did you learned to use Critical burst, Power Blows, Side Steps and other changes not mentioned that pretty much change things on the way you play? Sure you can play it like DOA4 but playing against people who learned to play DOA5 like DOA5 and not older games will probably have more advantage around you since you are playing like an old game.

Don't murder me gaf.

did you get to play online? Was it any good?

DR2K

Banned
Is the core gameplay going to change after an hour? Its just my opinion. I'm not calling it trash or anything.

What was your opinion on powerblows, critical bursts, side stepping being evasive, the brand new wall system? You won't be able the biggest changes in the system with less than an hour of play time.

raven777

Actually a bit more detailed than others.

They still say the game plays pretty much the same with some improvements (Not completely detailed) and smooth as the others. I think I saw a a bit of talk of cliff hangers and power blows. The game overall still remains fun to play and it seems they enjoyed the story mode. They talked about VF characters low quality audio compared to DOA cast. They liked the music and overall said that they can't really say which is better between DOA5 and TTT2 since both are great games that appeal different audiences and can probably coexist.

Yea I noticed this since they introduced Akira. They do feel completely different, like someone just dubbed over.

branny

I hate that I'll have to wait until Wednesday until my copy arrives. :(

Basically, this is a great generation for fighting games that use some form of 3D graphics.
I know 2D graphics weren't included in the scope of your post, but we've been pretty spoiled by those this gen, too.

Yea I noticed this since they introduced Akira. They do feel completely different, like someone just dubbed over.
Yeah, their shitty bitrate voices bother me the most.

AAK

Sorry guys, My arcade stick got screwed up and I used up my DOA money to buy replacement parts for it. I won't be able to play for the first few weeks. Hopefully join you guys down the road.

if max is saying its T6 netcode quality then I'm nervous.

Pre-release netcode (day -1) can be very indicative of the overall netcode. I wonder if its will be umvc3's level of "good" netcode.

DR2K

Banned
if max is saying its T6 netcode quality then I'm nervous.

Pre-release netcode (day -1) can be very indicative of the overall netcode. I wonder if its will be umvc3's level of "good" netcode.

Servers are still in the process of being put up and a limited amount of people have it. From what I've been hearing experiences have been improving by the day.

Squire

Banned
Art book is mostly filled with pictures of the in-game characters in their costumes. There's about 7 pages with concept art of characters in costume. The last bit it is just pictures of stages.

Can you take Helena's coat off like that in the game?

Top Bottom