• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nerds and Fedoras

Status
Not open for further replies.

Futureman

ALL BOW TO YOUR FEDORA PRINCE

roethlisberger_hat.jpg

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
The problem is fedoras were never for everyone, they made different kinds of hats for different people. I think I'd be a bowler man myself.

DJ_Lae

There's a fantastic photo of my grandpa down in my grandma's basement back from the 40s or 50s - he's wearing a two piece suit and a fedora and looks like a fucking boss.

Kind of wish I could pull off that look, as I'm basically the same age now as he was in that picture.

You can pretty much only wear a fedora if you're:
A. pretty enough to be a model (even then its up in the air)
b. a grizzled badass looking old dude

On pretty much everyone else they look stupid.

So, what exactly is the x-factor here? Fedoras, but only if they accompany a 3-piece suit? Would I get by with a button-down and a tie?

If you're wearing a button-down and tie with a fedora, you'd better also be wearing a suit jacket, blazer, or vest.

Basically, the fedora needs to match the outfit and you need a sense of style to make it work.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
This is what the hat looks like on men (which are properly fitted and picked out by professional stylists and people working in wardrobe):

[IM.G]http://kimbosf.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/don-draper.jpg[/IMG]
[I.MG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_PlrXXfn9_Cg/S6-ggYrSKvI/AAAAAAAADpg/3hNKfloGCgE/s1600/Humphrey+Bogart.jpg[/IMG]
[IM.G]http://bauergriffinonline.com/bfm_gallery/2011/11/gosslton/post_image/post_image-111130P1_GOSLING_B-GR_01.jpg[/IMG]
[IM.G]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8vcpr6XWK1rz5q5qo1_500.jpg[/IMG]
[IM.G]http://i2.listal.com/image/1125930/500full.jpg[/IMG]
[IM.G]http://i2.listal.com/image/1537172/500full.jpg[/IMG]

This is what the hat looks like on everybody else:

tumblr_lv62rmVydP1qb6jf0o2_500.png

Edited to make it clear.

Strawman

So, what exactly is the x-factor here? Fedoras, but only if they accompany a 3-piece suit? Would I get by with a button-down and a tie?

The X factor is the same as with most items of clothing that are unusual or out of place with current trends - it will looks great on good looking people, not so much on the rest of us!

MisterHero

I didn't know a bunch of goofy looking guys wearing dorky hats was a mass assault on the other half of society

my word

Switters

I'm almost 40 and I wear it when I sit in with the Duke Silver trio.

Jazz man, jazz. I think it looks okay with the right ensemble.

4koBl.jpg

Angry Fork

Let me also throw this in: If you have ever worn flip-flops or sandals with socks, you deserve far worse mockery than any man who has ever worn a fedora.

I've never done this because I don't wear sandals but when I've tried them out they're incredibly uncomfortable because of the rubber piece that goes in between your big toe and 2nd toe. Socks would be able to prevent this from rubbing against your skin. Even the sandals with the rubber strap that goes over the foot still chafes the skin and causes irritation.

strobogo

Banned
Good looking men can pull them off. Nerds who look like stereotypical nerds can't. Good looking nerds who don't have acne and neckbeards can. Nerds with neckbeards and acne can't. It's pretty simple. Even average looking men can't pull it off. You need to be objectively good looking and handsome to pull it off.

A $15 fedora from Target isn't going to look like a Bogart fedora. I do like the trend of women with fedoras, though.

Calion

Fedoras are weird - some pull it off and most don't. Maybe it's an age thing, because it's almost guaranteed if you're wearing one as a teenager/young adult you look like a bit of an asshole.

That, and you look like you don't know what the fuck you're doing when you're wearing one.

Related:
8d0.jpg

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
xOi1cl.jpg

Imagine a nerdy, degenerate version of Rick Santorum. Fancies himself a philosopher (has taken one intro course), believes that women are supposed to serve men, that gay sex is wrong because the telos of eros is babies, and that everything written or created before the 60s is superior (except My Little Pony, his favorite show). Believes everyone should dress like 40s pulp characters and that women should never wear pants. Thinks that European culture is the only good culture and that it must be protected from the threat of Islam. Is an “ephebophile” with a cannibalism fetish.

I remember in the TVTropes thread on Something Awful, fedoras were the go-to sign of a Brony/pedophile.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Good looking people look good in hats.
Not so good looking people don't.

Shocking.

I've seen average looking guys successfully pull off the fedora. It's about the overall appearance of your outfit rather than just pure handsomeness in my view.

marrec

Banned
Good looking men can pull them off. Nerds who look like stereotypical nerds can't. Good looking nerds who don't have acne and neckbeards can. Nerds with neckbeards and acne can't. It's pretty simple. Even average looking men can't pull it off. You need to be objectively good looking and handsome to pull it off.

A $15 fedora from Target isn't going to look like a Bogart fedora. I do like the trend of women with fedoras, though.

A thousand times this.

Most of these pictures are of people wearing those shitty things bought from department stores. Those aren't Fedoras.

entremet

The problem that these guys miss with fedoras is that you need a suit or at least a blazer/sport jacket to make it work or decent outerwear.

Fedora and hoodie? fedora and a sweatshirt?

C'mon!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The problem that these guys miss with fedoras is that you need a suit or at least a blazer/sport jacket to make it work or decent outerwear.

Fedora and hoodie? fedora and a sweatshirt?

C'mon!

Exactly.

fedorakh1.jpg

This dude looks like a dunce, with or without the fedora.

Celegus

I came here to agree as is common sense, but these pictures... if more people wearing fedoras gets me more of these pictures, I'm all for it.

Yoshiya

I thought the trenchcoat and fedora ensemble couldn't be topped, but then I came across someone in a fedora and a leather trenchcoat. Hey, I think I look like a badass from some romanticised age of masculinity, but also The Matrix.

I'll have to post a pic of myself wearing a fedora later on. I do indeed rock a fedora, though i think it's a bit easier to look good in one if you're a woman.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
1348128045096_zps3ac79dae.gif

The DASHING SPEEDWAGON can pull it off though.

2cTVP.jpg

And someone needs to bring back the reverse Fedora, Jughead look.

Walshicus

There's precious little that can surpass how good a plain trouser-shirt-waistcoat-fedora combo feels to wear...

But yeah, if you think you can pull it off without something smart if not tailored, think a-fucking-gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom