• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery group releases Resident Evil 1.5 trailer

Yuripaw

Banned
Since most people are clueless, a few things:

- They are modding the game from a ~40% completed version to make it playable and as close as possible to the ~80% completed version featured in Biohazard director's cut dual shock
- It involves modifying rooms, and apparently creating some from scratch
- They updated the inventory items pictures
- They also intend to translate the game, it's pretty obvious
- It is NOT known footage, and the whole things is legit
- Expect news on Christmas and a possible 2013 release.

I personally find it much more exciting than any new resident evil and have been expecting to play this game since 1997. 15 years already.

Totally. This is something I've wanted to play for over a decade since I knew of it's existence. I just wonder if they are working off of only a 40% build, how much of the story stuff is in the game? Is there an ending, or is that something the group will have to make up themselves? Are there 4 campaigns like original RE2? or 2 like RE1? How much would be there of only 40%....

Totally. This is something I've wanted to play for over a decade since I knew of it's existence. I just wonder if they are working off of only a 40% build, how much of the story stuff is in the game? Is there an ending, or is that something the group will have to make up themselves? Are there 4 campaigns like original RE2? or 2 like RE1? How much would be there of only 40%....

Even if it was only 40% done there is very likely a 'full' (though not necessarily completed script). See the leak of the 2010 E3 Skyward Sword demo for example... and whatever wasn't there would likely have been pretty easy to fill in... That said, that far from complete there will likely be at least a bit of creative license.

kunonabi

I've always been really fascinated by Resident Evil 1.5...I love RE2, because it's the first game I played in the series, but I've always wondered why they went in that direction after seeing what RE1.5 was. I always saw it was too similar to RE1, but...everytime I see RE1.5, it looks a lot different than RE1, and RE2 actually seems more similar to RE1 than 1.5 ever did.

This new video is intriguing though...it definitely looks new, and a lot more clean than anything we've seen before. The interface even looks more advanced than what was in RE2. Some small group working on completing this and releasing for fans maybe? God I would love that. After the disappointment of RE6, I would love to play a new alternate reality old school RE game.

It's funny how that worked out. RE2 really didn't add much gameplay wise. The A/B games and zapping were great ideas but they were just badly implemented. Considering they started over it still turned much better than it could have.

RE1.5 though just had so much more going on in terms of actual gameplay mechanics. Hell, the series ended up taking more from 1.5 than it did RE2 going forward. It's very similar to RE3 vs CV. RE3 didn't have the same sort of production values and budget but the gameplay was far more progressive and polished while CV barely added anything.

Bladenic

A/B was badly implemented?

I think it was pretty cool, but there's definitely the issue with the same puzzles and there being 2 of almost every puzzle item. For its time though it was pretty great, and I enjoyed the different bosses for each campaign.

I'm looking forward to playing this though, I think it'll be cool. Love the part where Elza inspects a door and says its probably a restroom, that was a funny touch. I'm excited to explore the RPD as it was originally meanny to be. The RPD in 2 is a cool location, but the whole time I thought that it was a strange design for something set in 1998. It's kind of explained why there's so many statues and puzzles, but the overall design and look us still very weird.

Jinroh

I just wonder if they are working off of only a 40% build, how much of the story stuff is in the game?
We don't know, but probably not much sadly. There are no voices, no animations during cut-scenes and maybe no documents.

Is there an ending, or is that something the group will have to make up themselves?
There are no CGI, so there is probably no ending. But you can probably reach an end. Actually the last part of the game is very similar to what we have in RE2. The labs are different, but similar, and you also escape with the same train. But I don't know if the train boss fight was already implemented in this version.

Are there 4 campaigns like original RE2? or 2 like RE1? How much would be there of only 40%....
Two campaigns, one for each character. Leon starts on the heliport, Elza in the RPD lobby. I don't think they meet each others during their respective campaigns.

Nemesis_

I'm not sure this will have those gameplay features that we were apparently going to get in the original game, however.

The stuff like wearing clothing would reduce damage, and locking doors would prevent enemies from repopulating areas.

It's also possible these features weren't actually in, just people spreading rumours prior to release. I'd imagine most of the programming skills needed would be too hard to work on from scratch.

Darknight

I cant believe that this isnt bigger news around here.

This is legit/real. And its RE 1.5!! How can people not care about this, specially for RE fans. Im not even a big fan but im really excited. My bro has been keeping up on this more than I have but its an interesting turn out of events.

I remember when the Bioflame dudes were negotiating to buy a beta disk from some Asian guy and it was the most "up to date" version which is not the same as this one from this group. Anyways the deal fell off and people were torn.

If this gets a public release, which it looks like, alot of people will finally be happy. RE 1.5 has been like a super secret game that existed and we're probably months away from playing this 15 years after it was announced/scrapped.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

A/B scenarios are nearly the same thing with maybe 5 areas being exclusive to either scenario (and 3 of those rooms being able to be accessed in B scenario).

Zapping was too hyped for what it did. "Take an item and register your fingerprint so B scenario can open a room. WHOOPIE!"

kunonabi

A/B scenarios are nearly the same thing with maybe 5 areas being exclusive to either scenario (and 3 of those rooms being able to be accessed in B scenario).

Zapping was too hyped for what it did. "Take an item and register your fingerprint so B scenario can open a room. WHOOPIE!"

The worst part is none of that stuff was really worth doing. The shutter was really only effective if you used it on the proper hallway and you minimize the backtracking. Great for speed runners but not so useful for everyone else.

TheSeks

The worst part is none of that stuff was really worth doing. The shutter was really only effective if you used it on the proper hallway and you minimize the backtracking. Great for speed runners but not so useful for everyone else.

Outside of getting the two extra item slots for Leon(?) anyway, yeah.

I love Biohazard 2, but it certain fell short on some of the systems that were hyped after 1.5 was scrapped and redone.

(I kinda honestly prefer Bio 3 over 2 due to the fact that despite it being more "action" orientated it had: dodge mechanic, 180 turn, R2 lock on exploding barrels, Nemesis able to pursue you through areas... more shit than Bio 1-2 had. Felt like an evolution than a reiteration for me.)

Santar

A shame they only have a 40% completed game to build from.
Polishing off a 80% game is one thing, but creating a whole 60% from scratch?
How much of this will actually be a capcom developed Resident Evil game and not just a fan made one?
I know it's better than nothing, but I just never could bring myself to play any of these fan made games\ sequels out there.

Seik

Banned
That's how you do a project like this nowadays.

sDiaJ.png

Now this is C&D proof. The Chrono Trigger Ressurection project should had done this instead. :(

Mr_Zombie

Well, it was barely important in the game. During the whole game, gameplay wise, there were just three or four (I haven't played RE2 in years so I don't remember ;_;) things that "zapped" between A/B scenarios. And none of them were really crucial.

As for this release - YES!! Even if this is just 40% of the original RE1.5. and 60% of custom made content to fill up the blanks, it's still better than what we have now, i.e. nothing.

How long till somebody tweets this to Kamiya?

Also:

Kind of a random question - but is there anyway to not have youtube default to 360p for videos?

kunonabi

Outside of getting the two extra item slots for Leon(?) anyway, yeah.

I love Biohazard 2, but it certain fell short on some of the systems that were hyped after 1.5 was scrapped and redone.

(I kinda honestly prefer Bio 3 over 2 due to the fact that despite it being more "action" orientated it had: dodge mechanic, 180 turn, R2 lock on exploding barrels, Nemesis able to pursue you through areas... more shit than Bio 1-2 had. Felt like an evolution than a reiteration for me.)

Yeah, RE3 always felt closer to the RE2 I had expected to play before the bait and switch. It's also the best game in the series in terms of pure gameplay.

Mitsurux

For those who know... when/if this is released, how would it be played, PC? PSX emulator, actual PS1?

This is awesome.... and something that capcom should have done along time ago for its fans....

This is like a dream come true. It would be awesome if the release had options like "pure 1.5" mode and a "complete 1.5" mode with all the fan added bits like story, cutscenes, endings. Or even an options to select certain things off and on. Like I noticed in the video Elza uses a quick 180 turn which was NOT in RE2.

Tain

It's very suspicious to me that they would finish building their own spin on the game before releasing the 40% original version to the public. If they really are talented enough to write hack tools for the unfinished game and create new fitting prerendered backgrounds, what's to stop this from being entirely an RE1 or RE2 hack? Which is still cool, of course.

Not that I've poured over footage or anything.

I'm not sure this will have those gameplay features that we were apparently going to get in the original game, however.

The stuff like wearing clothing would reduce damage, and locking doors would prevent enemies from repopulating areas.

It's also possible these features weren't actually in, just people spreading rumours prior to release. I'd imagine most of the programming skills needed would be too hard to work on from scratch.

lol, I remember reading these details when pouring over the magazine previews for it

good times! (^____^)

That's how you do a project like this nowadays.

Now this is C&D proof. The Chrono Trigger Ressurection project should had done this instead. :(

That brings me back. The forum for that fan project was one of my first message forums. I remember people were very dedicated and pleasant there.

I look forward to seeing how far they can recreate this version but they still have to take many creative liberties if they only have the 40% percent to work with.

TheSeks

The redone background textures look nice. I hope they redo the character models. Looks a little jarring to have blurry/pixelated models with the textures they made/redid in those passes.

The redone background textures look nice. I hope they redo the character models. Looks a little jarring to have blurry/pixelated models with the textures they made/redid in those passes.

They'll probably edit the backgrounds again them to make them more PSX-ish, I think :p

I'm guessing the 60-80% claims had to do more with the actual game structure being completed (all of the areas connected, the game having been tested and all of the glitches ironed out, etc) than the amount of content (sound/graphics/models) being developed. It seems like at least 90% of the visual stuff was complete, just judging by how much we already have access to and what we've seen from the game. Some of the stuff being filled in in this fan version probably already has a corresponding version we just don't have access to.

Even if RE2 was the "right choice," it would be nice to see Capcom produce something with the tone of 1.5 a la Revelations. Outbreak File 2 seemed to be the closest in tone to that.

Top Bottom