• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mystery group releases Resident Evil 1.5 trailer

Soodanim

Gold Member
RE2 might have ended up being the better game, but some of the police station design in 1.5 is better than the ex-museum station. Toilets, a shooting range, and more than two cells instantly come to mind. Just stuff that makes more sense, really. Then there's the handgun walking animation, something they shouldn't have scrapped. And as much as I love RE2 (and I do), I like that 1.5 as the feeling of a second RE1 about it. I know that comes from the animations/models/textures that weren't finished, but I still like them.

Maybe Mikami's new project has a main character named Elza.

therapist

Nice.

If only we could get our hands on re3.5 (or was it 4.5?)...

I loved re4 but cant help but think what it could of been like as a classic re game.

Anteater

G59lR.png

Slnya.png

God i LOVEEEE the old Capcom intro FMV.

Isn't this only like a year before RE2 actually came out (that these assets were all created)? Why are the graphics so much worse?

Me too man. It was like seeing a picture of your best friend from days long past before he got into meth and bath salts.

kunonabi

I still prefer the atmosphere, art direction, and how progressive the gameplay from 1.5 wise. I also liked the idea of the supporting cast playing a bigger role and I greatly preferred Elza to Claire. I would love for this to be actually released.

tmarques

This actually looks kind of boring.

Original Resident Evil 4, on the other hand... how close to completion was that?

News Bot

Banned
I doubt Capcom really wanted to start over. I always understood it was Mikami that pushed hard to make it happen.

Okamoto brought in Sugimura to rewrite the scenario to be less dull, who then suggested starting over after attempting but realizing that it was beyond saving. Mikami and Kamiya agreed and that was that. It's not as if it was a sudden thing, either, they were aware that it was of particularly poor quality and had many issues, and they weren't happy with many of the gameplay features. They removed the armor because they felt it detracted from the survival element, for example. Likewise with grenades. Overall, they thought it would be received as a "good" game and not as a "great" game like the actual BH2.

People like to throw around the "they wanted sequels" thing but it played a very small role by comparison and it was mostly Okamoto (management) who pushed for it.

Of course, nobody believes the people who made it.

Nice.

If only we could get our hands on re3.5 (or was it 4.5?)...

I loved re4 but cant help but think what it could of been like as a classic re game.

There's nothing to get your hands on. "Hallucination" didn't get very far into development at all. The debug list hacked from the BH4 demo is literally all they had done. The game was built around a handful of rooms and scrapped because the GameCube couldn't handle it, and it would have cost too much to save. It's similar to Outbreak: way ahead of its time. I would have loved to see the concept come to fruition. But basically all that has already been seen of it is all there was.

Nemesis_

I know it's gross but RE0 N64 is probably the cancelled Resident Evil project I would most love to see.

Though I guess it's like, exactly the same bar some pretty graphics (and making Rebecca look less like a white Jill clone.)

Eusis

lol 'you better not play it' sounds like a parent talking to his children.
He probably meant "It's better you didn't play it", but now I'm imagining him personally coming to beat down anyone who dares to play it, even a fan recreation of it.

kunonabi

I think the real question is who's going to be the first to bitch and moan if it comes out and they realize why they scrapped it?

Wrong.
A real judgment can't be made without playing it but based on the footage and all the details I can't see any scenario where it would have turned out worse than RE2 for me. Leon will probably end up being less likable but everything appears to be superior to the rest of RE2 in theory.

LOL @ the missing poster with Claire face

Also are they creating new backgrounds or using the RE2 ones to fill the holes?...

I though this version was at 60% complete or so...

Platy

Love to see beta footages like this one !

I hope they release it =D

It is not the top RE betas I want to play (that goes to RE4 tank controls) but it is up there

Guzim

I loved watching this. I remember when I first read/heard about RE 1.5, and I've wanted to play it ever since. Seeing this footage was awesome.

Part of the reason they redid RE2 was because the ending was "too conclusive" and they wanted to have the story end more openly so there could be sequels.
Wasn't another reason that it felt too similar to RE1 and that this just didn't feel fun to play?

kunonabi

I loved watching this. I remember when I first read/heard about RE 1.5, and I've wanted to play it ever since. Seeing this footage was awesome.

Wasn't another reason that it felt too similar to RE1 and that this just didn't feel fun to play?

yeah, but I think that's code for "we wanted to make the game piss easy".

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Isn't this only like a year before RE2 actually came out (that these assets were all created)? Why are the graphics so much worse?

Because it was running on the Biohazard 1 engine, IIRC. 1.5 didn't use a completely new engine, IIRC. Just rendered new assests and tweaked the engine for new animations (see Leon holding a gun up, that didn't happen until REbirth for the classic series and didn't enter the main series until 4), and abilities.

Relaxed Muscle said:
I though this version was at 60% complete or so...

I think it was more 80%. The game was nearly ready to ship but Kamiya didn't really like the direction it was going too strongly to where he asked Mikami if he could delay it, or something like that. My memory of the history is fuzzy.

But it's a pretty damn good convincing trailer if the whole thing is fake. But I wanna believe. 1.5 is the holy grail of us classic Biohazard fans. ;__;

Alfredo

News of a team working on completing a build of 1.5 is at least a month old, but I guess it hasn't been posted on GAF.

I read about all this on another forum. It had a lot of interesting info about the history of 1.5, and the numerous hoaxes that people have pulled regarding having a leaked build. This new stuff is definitely real, and the team is working to make 1.5 playable, as well as translate it.

It's pretty exciting stuff, even if the game itself turns out to be lackluster. To think, after all these years, we might finally get a chance to play 1.5, despite Capcom's best efforts to keep us in the dark about it.

It makes you wonder, what if someday the old RE4 stuff gets leaked and someone takes on a similar project to make that playable? Of course, it's been known that 1.5 was pretty close to completion, and the same probably isn't true of "RE 3.5," but who knows for sure but Capcom?

Seik

Banned
Aw man, I hope it'll finally be freed on the net.

The teasing all these years, Curator and everything. :(

Darkangel

Resident Evil fans have been following this mysterious project since around the end of June. People found out about this when some never before seen RE1.5 screenshots were posted on an Italian Facebook group.

Since then a few more screens have surfaced, but there is still little info on the actual group behind them. Supposedly it is a group of modders who have the 40% complete build of RE1.5, and are trying to patch it together into a fully playable game. It has been proven that they have extensive hacking knowledge (they've made their own custom editing tools), and are creating their own pre-rendered backgrounds to fill in incomplete areas (there are a few of these in the trailer, but they're so well done that it's hard to spot them).

I'm glad this trailer was released because it confirms that the project is still alive, and that they most likely intend to do a public release.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
Resident Evil fans have been following this mysterious project since around the end of June. People found out about this when some never before seen RE1.5 screenshots were posted on an Italian Facebook group.

Since then a few more screens have surfaced, but there is still little info on the actual group behind them. Supposedly it is a group of modders who have the 40% complete build of RE1.5, and are trying to patch it together into a fully playable game. It has been proven that they have extensive hacking knowledge (they've made their own custom editing tools), and are creating their own pre-rendered backgrounds to fill in incomplete areas (there are a few of these in the trailer, but they're so well done that it's hard to spot them).

I'm glad this trailer was released because it confirms that the project is still alive, and that they most likely intend to do a public release.

Agreed this is good news.

Bladenic

Ah yes, RE1.5. Where Claire didn't exist, Chief Irons was a good guy, monkeys roamed free (later to appear in 0) and the RPD actually looked like it belonged in this century.

So any guess on what this actually is?

Modified 1.5 beta with new translation?

RE2 beta with new backgrounds and characters?

A close recreation in a third-party game engine?

Gonna have to go back to Bioflames now, will report back :O

Edit: Bioflames is DEAD D:

(Hopefully their servers are just fried from the most traffic they've seen in years?)

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when Capcom would rather cancel an awful game and start over than release it? Haha.

Let's not get into an RE6 shitstorm again. Plus you can't really just "cancel" games today when it costs tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of dollars to develop AAA games.

So any guess on what this actually is?

Modified 1.5 beta with new translation?

RE2 beta with new backgrounds and characters?

A close recreation in a third-party game engine?

Gonna have to go back to Bioflames now, will report back :O

Edit: Bioflames is DEAD D:

(Hopefully their servers are just fried from the most traffic they've seen in years?)

Seems like a group is completing an incomplete version of RE1.5. So basically this could be the last old RE style game we'll get ever...

Darkangel said:

So this (notice the Claire poster):

21uqk.jpg

might be a totally new background? That's impressive.

AlexBasch

Let's not get into an RE6 shitstorm again. Plus you can't really just "cancel" games today when it costs tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of dollars to develop AAA games.
Oh, now you've done it. Mentioning RE6 turns everything into a shitstorm, you should know better.

Coxy

damn, I want that, seriously capcom just polish it up a little and throw it on psn/xbla etc for 10-15 :/

kunonabi

Well in all videos of RE1.5 the zombies barely react to handgun shots and players are usually swarmed by them.

And the RE2 we got was pretty darn easy.

There were also more zombies on screen and they were more mobile(some were fast and they could climb ledges)

Spiders were quicker and could dodge.

I also get the feeling enemies did more damage as well.

There were also more hazards like fire that required special equipment.

It's possible that the game was just as easy but the info we have tends to contradict that.

It would actually take a tremendous effort to make it easier than the RE2 that we got.

Yuripaw

Banned
I've always been really fascinated by Resident Evil 1.5...I love RE2, because it's the first game I played in the series, but I've always wondered why they went in that direction after seeing what RE1.5 was. I always saw it was too similar to RE1, but...everytime I see RE1.5, it looks a lot different than RE1, and RE2 actually seems more similar to RE1 than 1.5 ever did.

This new video is intriguing though...it definitely looks new, and a lot more clean than anything we've seen before. The interface even looks more advanced than what was in RE2. Some small group working on completing this and releasing for fans maybe? God I would love that. After the disappointment of RE6, I would love to play a new alternate reality old school RE game.

Jinroh

Since most people are clueless, a few things:

- They are modding the game from a ~40% completed version to make it playable and as close as possible to the ~80% completed version featured in Biohazard director's cut dual shock
- It involves modifying rooms, and apparently creating some from scratch
- They updated the inventory items pictures
- They also intend to translate the game, it's pretty obvious
- It is NOT known footage, and the whole things is legit
- Expect news on Christmas and a possible 2013 release.

I personally find it much more exciting than any new resident evil and have been expecting to play this game since 1997. 15 years already.

Top Bottom