• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millionaire tries to get $829 via kickstarter to send daughter to RPG maker camp?

PK Gaming

Am I missing something...?

He's a millionaire right, why does he need to use kickstarter

confused-man.jpg

moka

Am I missing something...?

He's a millionaire right, why does he need to use kickstarter

You're deffinately missing something. The person who proposed the project is a woman.

Also, why she started a KS for it is beyond us. I think she said that she wanted to teach her kids about getting money themselves or something?

Jac_Solar

It doesn't matter if you think it was the goal. It was their goal. It would have been successful with only $800. Its not like they asked for $20,000.

And i don't think its the same as saying, "kick start me buying a camera". I could create a kicstarter called, "help me create this fantastic photography exhibit!". And as part of that, i buy a new lens to take pictures. Get better supplies. What do you expect people to do with the money if not spend it on stuff.

The rule is to stop people from simply saying, "kickstart me a pizza" or "A new computer would be sweet".

Her the girl is trying to create a game..and as part of that she needs to go to camp/get a computer (allegedly). There have been tons of kickstarters just like this that have been funded.

Why is the author of the project supposedly spamming celebrity blogs/tweets? And why is there a 10,000 tier for a 800$ project?

Henrik 22 minutes ago
Via reddit:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MensRights/comments/1awr1n/millionaire_using_kickstarter_to_send_her/
this is a hell of a lot shadier then it seems.
1) She has her own female only crowd funding website so why is she using kickstarter?
Link: http://www.fundher.com/

2) She has tried scamming kickstarter with a previous "project" which is pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever seen. She was asking for $20k . And I still haven't figured out what the "project" is about. Something about wearing towels as capes?
Here's a link to it http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/the-cape-project
Nonsense regarding the failed Kickstarter scam
Who hasn't wished they could fly? CUSTOM SUPERHERO CAPES! Personalized. Exquisitely crafted. Handmade by U.S. veteran family business.
OUR STORY
Our capes aren't quite bulletproof or indestructible, but they do withstand the harshest, unimaginative, closed minds on earth. No, your personalized cape won't allow you to jump tall buildings nor will it give you night vision. But it will allow you to defeat boring days and capture the imagination inside you. And what's more powerful than that?

3) She's breaking the Kickstarter Spamming rule
Rule in question: http://i.imgur.com/yefoxge.png
Evidence of Spam: http://i.imgur.com/b4l2fI2.png
She's spamming celebrities like Lady Gaga & The Ellen DeGeneres show. Why is she spamming celebrities and popular media just to raise $829?
3a) Also evidence of breach of the "Fund my life" rule being broken:
Rule: http://i.imgur.com/6008aOd.png
Evidence: http://i.imgur.com/eUIagWv.png

4) As stated by the O.P she's exploiting gender issues (feminism) such as the debate on women in STEM fields. She keeps referring to the RPG training camp as RPG STEM training camp. (Clearly milking the buzzword STEM)

5) The company that is running the RPG training camp, has an article on this Kickstarter. (Only trying to raise $829??)
http://i.imgur.com/djPAIKp.png
http://i.imgur.com/PiZT0yo.png

6) If she only wanted to raise $829, why is she offering rewards for donating $10k ??
http://i.imgur.com/05CeXyu.png

7) Portraying her sons as mean oppressors and throwing them under the bus to make a quick buck (Appeal to misandry)
http://i.imgur.com/ce2TENp.png
http://i.imgur.com/7xXuRbV.png

8) Evidence of her questionable business ethics (Cybersquatting)
Evidence: http://i.imgur.com/jIduN8G.png

9) Relevant articles from her blog, she seems to think mixing gender issues with crowd funding is a good way to make money, which explains her kickstarter, exploiting her children & gender issues.
http://i.imgur.com/RmGlRn6.png
http://i.imgur.com/G25TKZN.png

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects...lding-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w/comments

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Camp fees is hardly tuition. Tuition=academic.
So, someone asking for college tuition would be a no-no, but someone asking for money to take a drawing class would be okay? What a strange distinction. Anything whose end goal is, essentially, "help me learn things and maybe someday I'll make something with that knowledge" isn't really defensible against Kickstarter's TOS. KS is for funding concrete projects with clearly defined endgoals, not vague promises and potential.

PK Gaming

You're deffinately missing something. The person who proposed the project is a woman.

Also, why she started a KS for it is beyond us. I think she said that she wanted to teach her kids about getting money themselves or something?

Right, my mistake.

I guess that sounds plausible, but its still really shady.

Also what kind of fucking parent are you to let a 9 year old play Borderlands 2 and Dragon Age II

WTF?
A normal parent?

But on topic: Someone who has the means, shouldn't be using Kickstarter. Kickstarter was originally set up for people who have no other possible way to make their projects a reality. Greed like this only takes away from the people who actually need the service.

moka

A normal parent?

But on topic: Someone who has the means, shouldn't be using Kickstarter. Kickstarter was originally set up for people who have no other possible way to make their projects a reality. Greed like this only takes away from the people who actually need the service.

Exactly, it's like claiming benefits when you don't qualify for them and as we all know, benefit fraud is a crime.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I reported this as well.

It's a blatant money grab, exploiting the sentiment of Tropes Vs Women.

Most importantly, it is marginalizing the message of the previous work, and giving ammo to the anti-feminist factions who oppose it.

Right, my mistake.

I guess that sounds plausible, but its still really shady.
Actually it's even worse when you think about it. Her lesson is to still ask other people for money. Only this time it's strangers instead of her millionaire parents. It's all a scam.

Cartman86

Banned
I'm not personally comfortable with people who have the funds using Kickstarter, but...

I hope a personal apology from an EVIL man comes with this $100,000 tier. Otherwise it just isn't worth it.

Yes, you're an anti-feminist children hater who want women to be dumb and ignorant and never succeed in life. DUMB AND IGNORANT!!1!!!one!1!

That's fucking brilliant. That way, you'll get lots of men to protect you against those EVIL feminist haters.

...Jesus Christ for someone who likes to point out logical fallacies you sure do like to commit them.

Goon Boon

Banned
Neat, a /b/er actually knows something about there with proof.

In the five, three hour days you attend; One is for "Teamwork", one is lunch, then the last is actual work.

Teamwork is where they take the kids outside and play kickball, this is a complete sham and the bitch who set this up made major profits.

I demand play by play commentary on the kickball before I donate.

Seems pretty shady. What's her mom going to do with the extra $20k?

Officially, extra money is to "help fund future courses in computer programming for her along with more (and better) games."

But in reality? It'll go straight into the mother's backyard pool filled with money.

A goddamn millionaire DOES NOT need money to fund their child at a camp, plain and simple.

Neat, a /b/er actually knows something about there with proof.

I demand play by play commentary on the kickball before I donate!

I know all about those camps. It's accurate. Most of the time isn't spend developing a game at all.

LukeTim

This is hardly getting money herself... it's simply getting others to do it for you.

She keeps talking about wanting to show her daughter the "power of the crowd"... Which is great and all, Crowd-funding is a great idea, but it doesn't really work when you've got millions of dollars and despite that you're basically asking the poor plebs pay for your summer camp.

Member of the 1% asking for a handout. Oh the irony.

I guess the valuable life lesson here for her kids is that if you're already rich and have lots of rich friends and come up with a ridiculous sob story, they'll give you even more money just 'cause.

moka

I'm not personally comfortable with people who have the funds using Kickstarter, but...

...Jesus Christ for someone who likes to point out logical fallacies you sure do like to commit them.

Ha, I think she was being sarcastic, but yeah.

Clearly you are an anti-feminist woman hater for not recognizing sarcasm when you see it!!!!!

Cmagus

Between her daughter making a game, camp, sugar daddies and her lesbian son this is pretty weird. The whole thing is pretty shady overall.

I don't think the fact they are millionaires bothers me. I see no problem with that providing it was the daughter actually pursuing this. I would even have respect for the mother if she was having her daughter pursue this on her own regardless of the money they have. This is clearly not the case though.

If you cannot afford camp then you could just go on steam buy RPG Maker for $60 and have the daughter learn it. If her daughter wants to make a game so bad she could do it easily. When I was her age I wanted to learn Flash and animation and I did by working at it every night. I was lucky enough to have my parents buy me a copy of the program and I sat there and worked my ass off every night.

MBison

I love how the video does not have the 9 year old talking about this at all. You'd think if this was such a personal project that Mackenzie would be at the forefront of this kickstarter and interviewed in the video.

I think that's very telling.

Spwn

So what happens if the girl doesn't want to finish the game?

Is her mom going to force her?

Good point. They now have to make the game since it's one of the rewards. If they don't, there may be legal consequences.

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?
Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.
creator-responsibility.png

Good point. They now have to make the game since it's one of the rewards. If they don't, there may be legal consequences.

Don't think it even maters. Sure this is all for the "brand" that she is trying to make. "Keep Up" or something. Expect it to be trademarked and sold.

Shinta

Banned
Don't think it even maters. Sure this is all for the "brand" that she is trying to make. "Keep Up" or something. Expect it to be trademarked and sold.

This part just fucking killed me.

"$75 donation

Front of the sweatshirt is blank and the back is beautifully embroidered with "Keep Up!" in black. Personal favorite because if someone can read "Keep Up!" it means (by definition) they are BEHIND you!"

You go girl!

LukeTim

That's certainly what it looks like...

If she wants to start some kind of campaign for getting women in to "STEM" (whatever that is, I'm not sure) then deceptively masking it as a summer-camp trip for her daughter is not the best way to do it.

EDIT: unless that's not what this "Keep Up!" thing is about... I'm not sure, I haven't read the KS Page in full, just the main bits.

moka

"$75 donation

Front of the sweatshirt is blank and the back is beautifully embroidered with "Keep Up!" in black. Personal favorite because if someone can read "Keep Up!" it means (by definition) they are BEHIND you!"

You go girl!

This makes sense because it's on the back of the sweater so people have to be behind you to read it. Get it?

Man, that's so awesome.

"$75 donation

You go girl!

I wonder if Ms. Wilson is one of those types of businesspeople who are so mired into the money-making game that they talk entirely in PR-speak, slogans, and corporate jargon

Swig_

Shit like this is why I hate KickStarter. I've seen more cases of people trying to abuse the system or make easy money from it than actual projects I'd want to support.

It amazes me.. the incredibly stupid things that incredibly stupid people will throw money at.

Do they not have moderators who deny "projects" that aren't in the spirit of what KickStarter was founded on?

Orca

That's certainly what it looks like...

If she wants to start some kind of campaign for getting women in to "STEM" (whatever that is, I'm not sure) then deceptively masking it as a summer-camp trip for her daughter is not the best way to do it.

EDIT: unless that's not what this "Keep Up!" thing is about... I'm not sure, I haven't read the KS Page in full, just the main bits.

Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

impirius

Everything about this is awful, but the "I am a 9 year old writing this myself oh my mom says to say this lol" and "Keep Up" merchandise are just.. so...

HOW IS ANYBODY FOOLED BY THIS

LukeTim

Science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.

Oh, okay. Thanks.

I don't really get the whole pushing <insert demographic> into <insert profession> thing... If people don't want to do it, they don't want to do it. You could argue that society passively discourages people from certain things, and that's a problem... but... I dunno. I just don't understand it.

Gannd

Banned
Everything about this is awful, but the "I am a 9 year old writing this myself oh my mom says to say this lol" and "Keep Up" merchandise are just.. so...

neo-feminism is a trendy movement in gaming and tech now. People want to get in.

AkiraGr

Banned
That's why she is a millionaire. Let's hope so that the donations are from her rich lobby friends and not from ignorant persons that feel sorry for a small child. This kind of moves show how easy is to take advantage of kickstarter.

Box

It depends on the kind of attitude you go into it with. If you come in with positive expectations, you're not going to see it as suspicious.

And once people put money down, they want to defend their choice to do so.

Lunar15

I've got very little sympathy for people who donate to clearly bogus causes on kickstarter. It's their money, they can waste it as they see fit.

Clockwork

I've been watching the page and some people have been withdrawing their pledges, but then a bit later some poor schmuck ends up donating.

Bleh.

Top Bottom