• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Looking worse than the Wii U launch, oh microsoft.

PS4/PC/Wii U this gen.

Ehhhhhhh

It'll be ok, Cyclone.

I know all of this must be very difficult for you right now, but remember to breathe. Sometimes it helps sitting down on the floor and bringing your knees up to your chest. In through your nose, out through your mouth.
Then repeat after me: "The Cloud. The Cloud. The Cloud. Games. The Cloud. The Cloud. The Cloud. Games."

You see? Feeling better yet? :)

Actually that helped.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Somehow Poligaf infiltrated Gaming... and I had nothing to do with it!

So the insider was your ass?

Your punishment must be more severe.

I stand by what I said. I understand there are people here that are a much better known quantity than I am, and I don't expect to suddenly convince people to go against their gut instincts simply because I feel confidently that this information (about a downclock) isn't true.

But I said it, I had good reason for saying it, and I will accept whatever punishment deemed necessary if I'm wrong. Mocking, banning, whatever is deemed necessary. I know how the site works. Nobody is above the basic rules of the road. I fully embrace and enjoy that aspect of this site. But as I said in a little jest before, give me a fair trial. We need real confirmation of a downclock to the GPU outside of forum rumor and hearsay. The one constant that nobody can deny is that ESRAM had serious manufacturing issues at a time, and that they are essentially still a real challenge even now, although not impossible to overcome, largely because the ESRAM can be made in quite a few more places than is commonly the case in these circumstances. The rest is simply not confirmed, but I won't challenge the ESRAM issues, because it simply can't be challenged in any credible fashion. If you're in a position to hear anything at all from somebody that possibly knows anything at all about what's going on, the ESRAM issues and concerns are things you've been hearing about since 2012, but clearly people at MS believe ESRAM is a design win, but it isn't coming without its headaches, headaches that were expected and planned to be countered by having it made in multiple places, and separating the good from the bad. A process shrink for the ESRAM will likely be possible in the first year the system is on the market.

Have you heard any further details about the Xbone, in fact, NOT downclocking the GPU? I was wondering with this whole story gaining so much ground so far, and somewhat starting to spiral for Microsoft, if you had any more contact with your sources.

If the yield issues are true, I just do not see how they can fix it WITHOUT downclocking the GPU, at least this late in the game.

All I can say definitively is that these challenges weren't unexpected by Microsoft. It didn't blindside them, even if Sony's move to 8GB of GDDR5 may have, but all is inline with what they expected, even the problems and challenges manufacturing the ESRAM. But at no point have I ever heard anything remotely close to anything implying that in order to deal with ESRAM's manufacturing challenges, that downclocking the GPU might be necessary. In fact, it's been said that downclocking the GPU wouldn't even help, because that isn't where the problem is. The problem is with the size and overall complexity of the part, which downclocking would hardly make up for in any way that could be considered significant and helpful. And digging a little deeper, and I wasn't entirely clear on this before, the problem is less so with making the ESRAM itself, but more incorporating that ESRAM once made into the larger set of components that it has to work in concert with.

And that's pretty much the gist of what I have right now. Anything further would get me in serious trouble, because I can't back it up with anything real that wouldn't also get someone else in trouble.

This thread has been a wonderful source of entertainment and information today. It's exactly why I love GAF.

I especially love you, Crazy Buttocks on a Train. Especially you.

Arthur Gies doesn't post here anymore, so you lose a significant contributing factor in that conversation without him.

Was he banned? Or did he just leave?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
So the Dragon ball comparisons and everything were correct.

It just wasn't PS4 and Xbox one. :)

cameltoad

Neo Member
This is very interesting.

Ignore OP at your own peril. Sources and tech look pretty tight. I can't think of a rumour in recent history that has pulled so many sources with this level of technical knowledge.

Biker19

Banned
You were guaranteed downgraded multiplatform games anyway. Once this year is over you'll find the Wii U having an installed userbase between 8 and 10m once Nintendo release the likes of NSL U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit, Game & Wario, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 between now and Christmas, and there's a good chance they'll give it a $50 price cut too imo.

Thanks to Nintendo's surprising forward thinking with regards to console architecture developers are going to find it a great deal easier to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is and has been to port between the Wii U/PS3/360. We've already started to see this being confirmed by Ubisoft developing Watch Dogs using the PC as the lead platform and porting between the current gen platforms with the PS3/360 SKUs being developed independently.

With the marketshare advantage that the Wii U is going to have after a year's head start you'll see publishers making developers code for the Wii U as the lowest common denominator. They're not going to leave that sort of money on the table now that Nintendo have released a console with a standard rendering pipeline.

So, no, you won't have the One holding the PS4 back...you'll have the Wii U holding the PS4 and One back unless a publisher wants to seriously piss off shareholders.

Look at what happened with Wii, though. They had a bigger install base, yet, most 3rd party publishers still went for 360/PS3 & had mostly bigger games on those two platforms.

Except, you know, that whole red ring thing that smells of being rushed oh wait a sec.

Shooosh...let people think this is an anomaly instead of the same jump the gun shot Microsoft has been doing for the past 25 years.

I love their controllers, and I appreciate how the Xbox has forced SONY to not sit on its laurels...but this Microsoft is the same one that thought DOS, a registry, Windows ME, VISTA, and Windows 8 as a traditional OS interface were good decisions. Not even mentioning RROD.

THIS is Microsoft.

Nikodemos

Since MS has already started up production, we should be getting something soon on what the final specs are depending on how loose the lips are over at Foxconn.
I suspect not loose at all. Remember the old saying "loose lips, pink slips". Even if the Xbone is a pile of elephant dung, the people building it gotta pay bills, so they'll keep it under wraps, especially now that the anti-hype train has been set in motion and MS is extra-watchful.

You were guaranteed downgraded multiplatform games anyway. Once this year is over you'll find the Wii U having an installed userbase between 8 and 10m once Nintendo release the likes of NSL U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit, Game & Wario, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 between now and Christmas, and there's a good chance they'll give it a $50 price cut too imo.

Thanks to Nintendo's surprising forward thinking with regards to console architecture developers are going to find it a great deal easier to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is and has been to port between the Wii U/PS3/360. We've already started to see this being confirmed by Ubisoft developing Watch Dogs using the PC as the lead platform and porting between the current gen platforms with the PS3/360 SKUs being developed independently.

With the marketshare advantage that the Wii U is going to have after a year's head start you'll see publishers making developers code for the Wii U as the lowest common denominator. They're not going to leave that sort of money on the table now that Nintendo have released a console with a standard rendering pipeline.

So, no, you won't have the One holding the PS4 back...you'll have the Wii U holding the PS4 and One back unless a publisher wants to seriously piss off shareholders.

What the fuck is this revisionist nonsense!?

Please show me this magical fantasy land where Wii U has a market advantage? What did a year's head start do for Microsoft, which actually had a pretty successful launch with the 360?

prag16

Banned
May be my ignorance here, but how was PS3 a console curse? Didn't it do nearly as well if not equally so to the 360? The way I see it PS3 is not even remotely a failure.

From 2006 to 2010, the PS3 pissed away ALL the profits of PS1 and PS2. They've yet to make back even a small fraction of all that. Think about that for a minute.

This post has to be a joke. There's no way anyone is actually this deluded.

prag16

Banned
The Wii U launch itself wasn't actually that bad, it was post launch that was a massacre.

Yeah. The launch lineup really wasn't half bad when you come down to it, and the sales were 'decent' up to Christmas.

The problem was releasing fucking nothing ever since. In light of that the sales tanking isn't a HUGE surprise, even to the Nintendo faithful.

jVLSOdl.gif

flash ban

Banned

if third party sales suck as they've done in the past on nintendo consoles, it is very likely wii u support will simply be dropped.

Perkel

Banned
I stand by what I said. I understand there are people here that are a much better known quantity than I am, and I don't expect to suddenly convince people to go against their gut instincts simply because I feel confidently that this information (about a downclock) isn't true.

But I said it, I had good reason for saying it, and I will accept whatever punishment deemed necessary if I'm wrong. Mocking, banning, whatever is deemed necessary. I know how the site works. Nobody is above the basic rules of the road. I fully embrace and enjoy that aspect of this site. But as I said in a little jest before, give me a fair trial. We need real confirmation of a downclock to the GPU outside of forum rumor and hearsay. The one constant that nobody can deny is that ESRAM had serious manufacturing issues at a time, and that they are essentially still a real challenge even now, although not impossible to overcome, largely because the ESRAM can be made in quite a few more places than is commonly the case in these circumstances. The rest is simply not confirmed, but I won't challenge the ESRAM issues, because it simply can't be challenged in any credible fashion. If you're in a position to hear anything at all from somebody that possibly knows anything at all about what's going on, the ESRAM issues and concerns are things you've been hearing about since 2012, but clearly people at MS believe ESRAM is a design win, but it isn't coming without its headaches, headaches that were expected and planned to be countered by having it made in multiple places, and separating the good from the bad. A process shrink for the ESRAM will likely be possible in the first year the system is on the market.

Just bet your account and everything will be resolved this way.

Either you lie (or your source may feed you with crap) or you are telling truth and you will join insider circle on jaf.

Gies also came here to post about things which ultimately ware false and sold them as truth because he had his sources.

It's a shame this thing will still sell.

The future of gaming is bleak my friends.
Huh? Why is it a shame it will still sell assuming it loses something between now and launch? Isn't still all about games and price? The schizophrenic and selective nature of the specs or games determining console value pre-launch really bugs. Especially so when we haven't even seen the fuller launch lineup or first year look of software and featureset nor the rest of the deets regarding DRM for either system. The only thing bleak is the attitude that this may somehow invalidate a console's sales success.

Good lord, what fantasy world is this...

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
From 2006 to 2010, the PS3 pissed away ALL the profits of PS1 and PS2. They've yet to make back even a small fraction of all that. Think about that for a minute.
Yeah I know the lost a lot but didn't realize it was that much. Cripes!

Financially it was a loss, but overall the console is insanely popular. With so many first party titles, I would think it would have helped a little but guess not.

At least Sony hasn't given up and with all this Xbone news, could very well dominate next-gen. As a 360 fan, I'd have no issue with this considering the DRM issue and if these rumors are true.

Septimius

I don't know. Now it sounds like special pleading. Or otherwise trying to backstep your position. First it was "I KNOW THIS. PERMA BAN ME IF OTHERWISE". Now it's "mocking, banning, whatever, really". And fair trial?

I don't know. It just sounds like you've been caught out. If that's the case, I'd just come clean. But please, try to keep your foot out of your mouth. Makes it more fun to watch.

prag16

Banned
Yeah I know the lost a lot but didn't realize it was that much. Cripes!

Financially it was a loss, but overall the console is insanely popular. With so many first party titles, I would think it would have helped a little but guess not.

At least Sony hasn't given up and with all this Xbone news, could very well dominate next-gen. As a 360 fan, I'd have no issue with this considering the DRM issue and if these rumors are true.

They definitely sold a solid amount of units, and put themselves in a decent position going into gen 8, while building up a strong stable of first party offerings that obliterates MSFT and trades blows with Nintendo. So they have that going for them at least.

8 to 10 is a very aggressive estimate for installed base by the end of the year. Impossibly aggressive even.

Also, are we sure we have definitive proof that Ubi ported the Wii U version of Watch Dogs from PC and hadn't started PS360 versions yet? I don't remember that 'report' or whatever it was a couple months ago being quite so clear on the matter.

The architecture may be easier to port to from PS4/720 than PS360 in certain ways (GPU heavy architecture with GPGPU and "weaker" shorter pipelined OoO CPU) but that doesn't mean it'll get ports let alone be the lowest common denominator that becomes lead platform. As others have pointed out, if 3rd party sales on Nintendo platforms hold to form, Wii U could still end up with only table scraps.

Your entire post is an extreme best case scenario for the Wii U that is extremely farfetched even to most Nintendo die hards I'd wager.

Just bet your account and everything will be resolved this way.

Either you lie (or your source may feed you with crap) or you are telling truth and you will join insider circle on jaf.

Gies also came here to post about things which ultimately ware false and sold them as truth because he had his sources.

I have a feeling he already has indirectly and privately to the mods. Unless insider claims are being less enforced these days.

And so far, nothing really goes against his claims, and may honestly be hard to ever prove without knowing original specs. I guess as long as it meets or exceeds the leaked specs he is ok? But still I think that isn't very good proof either for the flip of the coin IMO.

EDIT: My guess still is they just short the supply and not down clock. Unless the yields are really really terrible... But then if I was MSFT I would be getting pissed at TSMC/AMD because they promised they could build the sucker.

fallagin

May be my ignorance here, but how was PS3 a console curse? Didn't it do nearly as well if not equally so to the 360? The way I see it PS3 is not even remotely a failure.

It's not that it was a failure, but it had very poor performance compared to the ps2. Plus it was a pretty big mess in terms of games and features at the start of the gen.

Compare the first year of the PS3 to the momentum Sony had from the PS2.

It took years for Sony to get their shit together and overtake the 360.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom