• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Picture this: German federal investigators discover headcount, biometric and object-recognition algorythms in the Kinec2.0's code. EU-wide Xbone ban. MS is fined two billion euros. Hirai laughs maniacally for a good 15 minutes, then resumes sacrificing black kittens to the dark gods.

Won't happen as long as (a) the customer is able to see which information is gathered when and for which purpose, and (b) the customer can turn off that system completly at wish.

I think anybody thinking that Microsoft would somehow dominate this upcoming gen are simply being shortsighted, but it is far from impossible that they could end up doing as good or even slightly better than is the case with the 360.

That said, Halo in decline? It's the best selling one in the franchise, and in my opinion, the best game in the franchise. I'm no fan of MP (always felt Halo MP was just hype, could never find what was so good about it), so I can't speak to whatever was done in that regard, but the campaign to me was incredible, and Master Chief and Cortana have honestly never been done more justice as characters than they were in Halo 4. Gears, I actually agree with you. I think that series has been in decline since after the first game. I thought the first one did some really nice things that hinted at some exciting future potential, but then with each sequel, it seemed to go in a direction that I thought wasn't to its benefit. But that's just me. Forza is a fucking amazing franchise. It's one thing to be a Gran Turismo fan, but to say Forza doesn't have shit on an unreleased game you haven't played? Forza has been competitive with Gran Turismo as a racing sim from day one, imo, even if they can't make nearly as awesome a trailer as PD :).

And I think Gran Turismo has a more realistic looking art style, whereas Forza's is more stylized (some say cartooney, I disagree), but I think it looks great nonetheless. And the gameplay is amazing, so, again, I just don't agree with it not having shit on GT.

And you say you aren't counting them out, but you coulda fooled me with comments like that about a game as strong as Forza. Either way, as much we love to follow all this stuff, it's really all about the games at the end of the day. A lot of people simply don't care about a lot of side issues that they don't feel affect their core enjoyment of games. If the games lineup looks strong and the games themselves when people look at them in action gets people excited, then Microsoft is fine, and all the fire and brimstone just ends up being noise. To be honest, a lot of this Microsoft doom and gloom is remarkably reminiscent of the 360 before launch (even though few will admit that these days), and even reminiscent of the 360 shortly after launch. It's always near impossible to win a fight, much less even be in the discussion when you're busy punching at the heavens, and that's what Microsoft now finds itself doing against the PS4, much like they were doing when up against what was then viewed as a much more powerful Playstation 3 at the time that was more advanced in almost every way.

I think once both systems are out and released, and we are a year or two in, we'll have a look back at the build up to launch and hopefully learn some valuable lessons for future console transitions (no way, circle of life and all that jazz!) Now, admittedly, the PS4 is clearly the stronger console this time around. There's no denying this, and it isn't as complex to develop games for, but (and I've said this many times) Xbox One is also easier to develop for than the 360 was, and ultimately the games always have the final say. Games have been more responsible and instrumental to the success or failure of game platforms than any other factor, and that especially includes hardware specs.

Diving headfirst into every negative sounding rumor, completely working ourselves into a frenzy will easily make it look like there's a 5 alarm fire over at MS HQ. It isn't hard to do, I've seen it many times before. And like I said before, I still absolutely stand by what I said, nothing has changed since last night, but isn't it interesting how quickly the fact that a very similar thing was mentioned regarding possible gpu downclocks etc happening to the PS4 also, and yet that part of the rumor has been swept under the rug about as quickly as it popped up? Now, I genuinely believe thuway really heard this from somebody, and he said Sony devs told him that the PS4 is fine, even though someone else also told him that the PS4 could face downclocks also (something I don't see happening *my opinion*), but what exactly would Microsoft developers say? Would anything they have to say even mean anything at this point, or would it just be Microsoft devs doing what they are paid to do, and that's defending the console? It just seems negative news is always greeted with more wide open arms compared to the positive. That isn't to say no MS devs would have any criticisms of decisions made, but we are missing a pretty big part of the picture regarding Xbox One. Microsoft did their reveal, but they didn't exactly open up the floodgates. They just admitted the thing exists.

Well, the positive news is that E3 is 5 days away. Developers will talk on both sides and, best of all, we will see real games, even though some folks already seem prepared to disregard anything impressive shown by the Xbox One as simply smoke and mirrors running on some mystery hardware that couldn't possibly have anything to do with real Xbox One hardware. Nothing can be done about that. On to E3 it is!

Have you heard any further details about the Xbone, in fact, NOT downclocking the GPU? I was wondering with this whole story gaining so much ground so far, and somewhat starting to spiral for Microsoft, if you had any more contact with your sources.

If the yield issues are true, I just do not see how they can fix it WITHOUT downclocking the GPU, at least this late in the game.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Can someone fill me in on how this is fact and not still merely speculation? Just seems like people go all in on these rumors and we get the "more bad news for MS!" posts when we're not even sure what is true.

It was already looking pretty solid, and then CBoaT dropped a bomb on it...

mr_nothin

Banned
Can someone fill me in on how this is fact and not still merely speculation? Just seems like people go all in on these rumors and we get the "more bad news for MS!" posts when we're not even sure what is true.

For the past few months, 90% of the rumors surrounding next-gen have pretty much been true anyway.

Nikodemos

Won't happen as long as (a) the customer is able to see which information is gathered when and for which purpose, and (b) the customer can turn off that system completly at wish.
Doesn't matter. In the EU, companies are barred from doing certain things, even with the consumer's consent.

You know what guys? I feel bad for Adam Orth. He got fired for essentially telling the truth. Sure what he did was pretty dumb in hindsight, but still. The execs up top fucked up FAR more than he did, but they're still there.

THE:MILKMAN

I seem to remember when a lot of 'insiders' claiming that the PS4(Orbis) and XBone(Durango) were practically twins and would be on "par" With each other.

What the fuck happened?

As I understand it, the specs were largely based on the specs of the devkits. Durango devkits started with ultra powerful components and went downhill while Orbis started modestly and grew over time (including a doubling of RAM twice)

Dunlop

can we even construe this as MS having a bad start so far though?

We really need to see software, pricing, and a launch date. A bunch of kids on GAF getting angry about always online doesn't act as any sort of predictor of success or failure for MS.

Things that DO matter:

Software, Price, Marketing, Launch Date

And really, we know almost none of those things other than the fact that MS will market it to death.

Came to post this, product launches rarely go smooth and I have no doubt Sony is having issues of its own.

Both will sell out over the holidays, the real question is who's strategy will pay off more, gaming console or set-top gaming hybrid?

The Wii U horrible sales might be a combination of Nintendo incompetence and the fact the market is not really there anymore

Binabik15

Agies quit posting here...

I'm pretty sure the "It's a wash" line is from lherre, though, and Proelite was more favourable in regard to Xbone and its power, as far as I remember. Then again, Thuway was still begging the gods for 2,5+ TFlops consoles then (who wasn't :( )

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I know you're a big fan of Microsoft and don't want to accept any bad news about them, as you've shown in many of your posts in these threads, but buttocks is to be believed. Sorry if you don't like that.

With that said, there is a chance he or she is wrong. We won't really know for sure until around the launch of the thing. So you have that bit of hope to grasp onto.

Makes more sense I guess. Still skeptical. Also I see he has a thing for theatrics when posting.

Of course you are skeptical.

Eusis

I seem to remember when a lot of 'insiders' claiming that the PS4(Orbis) and XBone(Durango) were practically twins and would be on "par" With each other.

What the fuck happened?
I imagine at a glance they looked roughly identical, and it may well be that in practice there isn't a huge difference, especially if a game goes for 30/60 Vsync and the PS4 can't go all the way up to 60 (nevermind if it's deliberately locked at 30 despite being capable of 60), and relative to current consoles and the Wii U they probably are in roughly the same tier. Just that when you eliminate them and just compare the two the difference becomes apparent.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I still don't get how we know who he is nor that he really isn't just making up a lot of this stuff... Also what's up with his typing?

Okay, you're not reading the thread, I guess, because all this has been gone over multiple times now, and it's also summarized in the OP.

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop
I still don't get how we know who he is nor that he really isn't just making up a lot of this stuff... Also what's up with his typing?

Because he would be banned by now if he wasn't legit. And he types like that because: " Makes it harder to be found by searching, and other websites and blogs aren't likely to quote it. "

Nikodemos

I am not aware of any EU law that would prohibit Kinect in general.
They'd find some loophole to ban it.

Anyway, it's all just 'lol microsuck' at this point. Though TBH, I wouldn't put it past them to have some sort of code inside that thing. It has a dedicated processor after all.

jblank83

You know what guys? I feel bad for Adam Orth. He got fired for essentially telling the truth. Sure what he did was pretty dumb in hindsight, but still. The execs up top fucked up FAR more than he did, but they're still there.

Anyone with any concept of professional behavior, anyone who has ever worked on an unrevealed project knows what he did was wrong. Both in revealing something important before the official announcement and in antagonistic conduct toward "civilians", so to speak.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
DAT 3RD CONSOLE CURSE!!!

saturn, n64, ps3, xboner

all had an awesome predecessor and then they just blundered.

who the hell designed the xboner? MS better have a rabbit up their ass for e3.
May be my ignorance here, but how was PS3 a console curse? Didn't it do nearly as well if not equally so to the 360? The way I see it PS3 is not even remotely a failure.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
There's a 47% joke in there somewhere...
"Those guys over there that rely on video games for their entertainment, that 47%. I'm not worried about them."
I was thinking more:

"There are 47% of the people who will buy used games no matter what...who are dependent upon used games, who believe that they are victims. These are people who never buy games new...and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and support the industry."
May be my ignorance here, but how was PS3 a console curse? Didn't it do nearly as well if not equally so to the 360?
But it did no where nearly as well as the PS2 and loss to the Wii.

Have you heard any further details about the Xbone, in fact, NOT downclocking the GPU? I was wondering with this whole story gaining so much ground so far, and somewhat starting to spiral for Microsoft, if you had any more contact with your sources.

If the yield issues are true, I just do not see how they can fix it WITHOUT downclocking the GPU, at least this late in the game.

Well, they could have abysmal failure rates due to over heating, repeatedly deny that failure rates are anything more than the industry norm, and then spend $1 billion on a replacement scheme when the outcry hits the level where shoddy hardware cannot be ignored any more.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That alone is discouraging. What adds insult to injury is that we'll never know what might have been possible with some of their major franchises. I would quickly buy any console solely for proper next gen versions of:

Crackdown
Halo
PGR

Forza

That's all I need to plunk down $400-500. Everything else is gravy. But I don't know if I'll do it for half-assed upgrades.

The studios that made those three franchises that you love either don't exist anymore or aren't working on that franchise anymore.

fred

Does this mean downgraded multiplatform games?
By that I mean downgraded for both PS4 and XB1 versions...similar to how PC is held back by consoles

You were guaranteed downgraded multiplatform games anyway. Once this year is over you'll find the Wii U having an installed userbase between 8 and 10m once Nintendo release the likes of NSL U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit, Game & Wario, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 between now and Christmas, and there's a good chance they'll give it a $50 price cut too imo.

Thanks to Nintendo's surprising forward thinking with regards to console architecture developers are going to find it a great deal easier to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is and has been to port between the Wii U/PS3/360. We've already started to see this being confirmed by Ubisoft developing Watch Dogs using the PC as the lead platform and porting between the current gen platforms with the PS3/360 SKUs being developed independently.

With the marketshare advantage that the Wii U is going to have after a year's head start you'll see publishers making developers code for the Wii U as the lowest common denominator. They're not going to leave that sort of money on the table now that Nintendo have released a console with a standard rendering pipeline.

So, no, you won't have the One holding the PS4 back...you'll have the Wii U holding the PS4 and One back unless a publisher wants to seriously piss off shareholders.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I was thinking more:

"There are 47% of the people who will buy used games no matter what...who are dependent upon used games, who believe that they are victims. These are people who never buy games new...and so my job is not to worry about those people. I'll never convince them that they should take personal responsibility and support the industry."
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

People have covered the legitimacy of the sources confirming it. The thing I still don't see clearly from all of this is how this will affect final specs or launch condition of system, relative to PS4. We never got a deep enough look at the specs or final specs that MS settled on, so it's difficult to even put it in correct perspective with regard to how recent rumors affect whatever those might actually have been or still are. Hell, we never got more than a basic spec list from February for PS4 and never even got a full rundown of what is what with all of the leaked/rumored info. There is so much hanging in the air right now that it seems a bit pointless to become too concerned, IMO. For all we know, this new 'disaster' in a line of 'disasters' over the last few months may indeed turn out to be nothing serious in the end when the system releases. Too soon, and not enough info.

birdchili

The Wii U horrible sales might be a combination of Nintendo incompetence and the fact the market is not really there anymore
nintendo needs games that capture the public's imagination.

so does microsoft - it's far more relevant than the raw power issue. i still think they could finish e3 in ok shape if they've got some (game) surprises that are interesting and not just the up-gen'd versions of the stuff everyone is already expecting.

that said... ms is already suffering a pr disaster with the one, and this sure doesn't help their branding at all.

Just read the OP, it explains who he is, the fact he has been verified by mods, and there is an explanation as to why he types that way. Its ALL in post number 1.

Dunlop

May be my ignorance here, but how was PS3 a console curse? Didn't it do nearly as well if not equally so to the 360? The way I see it PS3 is not even remotely a failure.
It was a cluster fuck compared to the PS2 as well as obliteration all the profit from the ps1 and ps2

It'll be ok, Cyclone.

I know all of this must be very difficult for you right now, but remember to breathe. Sometimes it helps sitting down on the floor and bringing your knees up to your chest. In through your nose, out through your mouth.
Then repeat after me: "The Cloud. The Cloud. The Cloud. Games. The Cloud. The Cloud. The Cloud. Games."

You see? Feeling better yet? :)

daveo42

Banned
People have covered the legitimacy of the sources confirming it. The thing I still don't see clearly from all of this is how this will affect final specs or launch condition of system, relative to PS4. We never got a deep enough look at the specs or final specs that MS settled on, so it's difficult to even put it in correct perspective with regard to how recent rumors affect whatever those might actually have been or still are. Hell, we never got more than a basic spec list from February for PS4 and never even got a full rundown of what is what with all of the leaked/rumored info. There is so much hanging in the air right now that it seems a bit pointless to become too concerned, IMO. For all we know, this new 'disaster' in a line of 'disasters' over the last few months may indeed turn out to be nothing serious in the end when the system releases. Too soon, and not enough info.

Since MS has already started up production, we should be getting something soon on what the final specs are depending on how loose the lips are over at Foxconn. At the very least we'll get shots of the finalized internals if they've changed since the 21st.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You have to be kidding me.

Fucking A MS. Get it together. I want truly next gen Halo games. Give the devs some horsepower here!

You were guaranteed downgraded multiplatform games anyway. Once this year is over you'll find the Wii U having an installed userbase between 8 and 10m once Nintendo release the likes of NSL U, Pikmin 3, The Wonderful 101, Wii Fit, Game & Wario, Wind Waker HD, 3D Mario and Mario Kart 8 between now and Christmas, and there's a good chance they'll give it a price cut too imo.

Thanks to Nintendo's surprising forward thinking with regards to console architecture developers are going to find it a great deal easier to port between the Wii U/PS4/720 than it currently is and has been to port between the Wii U/PS3/360. We've already started to see this being confirmed by Ubisoft developing Watch Dogs using the PC as the lead platform and porting between the current gen platforms with the PS3/360 SKUs being developed independently.

With the marketshare advantage that the Wii U is going to have after a year's head start you'll see publishers making developers code for the Wii U as the lowest common denominator. They're not going to leave that sort of money on the table now that Nintendo have released a console with a standard rendering pipeline.

you can't be serious.

prwxv3

I am surprised the suits at Sony allowed Cerny to make the GDDR5 gamble. Props to them for allowing it and it seems to have paid off so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom