• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TRUTHFACT: MS having eSRAM yield problems on Xbox One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proelite

If this all plays out true, this maybe the WORST 3rd console curse to date.

It's amazing. Arrogance of MS. Production issues. "Power issues". And Sony apparently somehow catching them pants down. I'm surprised their leak didn't come forward from last gen which told MS that Sony would have 2x the RAM (albeit sep pools).

Nah. It's still better than the PS3 debacle.

PS3:
1 year late.
$200 more expensive.
Weaker system at launch. Less memory, less bandwith, weaker gpu, harder to program for CPU.
No games.
Hot and huge.

So far Xbox only has only #3. It'll be fine.

p3tran

Banned
well..good thing is, microsoft can survive (easily)

so gaf, I got only one question for you:

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING JIFS??

I can't wait to see what Castle Vidcons does with this generation. That comic was firing on all cylinders early last gen.

PS3
1 year late.
$200 more expensive.
Weaker system at launch.
No games.
Hot and huge.

360 was early. PS3 was not late. And who knows what game the XBone will have. And the price. And how hot it runs. Wait a second, why am I even replying to this?

NHale

Oh, then twice

Because that wasn't it

(I never heard of remember me until two weeks ago)

He was not wrong about Remember Me being a PS3 exclusive. Ask anybody in the industry, heck even a writer at IGN let it slip away the other day on twitter. Everybody knows but nobody talks about this because it's a b-tier game and doesn't generate page views.

SCE cancelled the exclusive agreement with Capcom in 2012.

BigDug13

I still feel that MS could have trumped all by having BC with Xbox Live Arcade games as well as 360 games. It would have ensured that those 70+ million 360 owners would have simply upgraded their hardware.

But since both XBone and PS4 are starting from absolute scratch when it comes to previous generation people having a reason to stick with them for this next gen, they're pretty hosed.

charsace

Could he do much to change the direction at this point? The design decisions have all been made. He could potentially bring a cohesive message, that's about it. MS corporate structure is such a mess I don't know if Allard would do well there. This whole console combined with their PR has their shitty influence all over it.

The only way he could hurt MS now is to hop in a plane and bomb the manufacturing plants for the X1.

USIGSJ

well..good thing is, microsoft can survive (easily)

so gaf, I got only one question for you:

WHERE ARE THE FUCKING JIFS??

This one might need some updating.

cloud2ykzme.gif

I still feel that MS could have trumped all by having BC with Xbox Live Arcade games as well as 360 games. It would have ensured that those 70+ million 360 owners would have simply upgraded their hardware.

But since both XBone and PS4 are starting from absolute scratch when it comes to previous generation people having a reason to stick with them for this next gen, they're pretty hosed.

I agree. I think Microsoft ignoring BC was a big mistake. They figured they could do it because Sony did it, but they also opened the door for people to feel no loyalty to any one console this time around.

Re: the Microsoft/NFL deal...

I think that had far more to do with getting Surface tablets on the sidelines to replace those massive play calling sheets than getting content on the Xbox.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
So MS will pay them to dumb them down? I don't see MS doing that.

Why didn't Sony insist on parity this gen?

LOL. No, MS don't approach a dev and say 'we want you to dumb down PS4 games', they say 'Games on the X1 have to look and play as good as PS4 games.' The result is then inevitable

Recon

Banned

PS3:
1 year late.
$200 more expensive.
Weaker system at launch. Less memory, less bandwith, weaker gpu, harder to program for CPU.
No games.
Hot and huge.

$100 more expensive. I know I walked into a best buy and bought a 20GB PS3 shortly after launch for $499.

Rich!

PS3:
1 year late.
$200 more expensive.
No games.
Hot and huge.

And the always online DRM and no game-sharing/selling to friends/trading in. Mandatory Kinect too, which is flagging up trouble here in Europe already.

1-D_FTW

How bad are the yields. I'm not quite sure I grasp how bad a situation this could be? Console delay bad or, ahem, redesign bad?

And please, casuals do not drive initial sales. The core does and always will.

Neither. If they can't get it addressed, underclock bad. With less units available than PS4.

Re: the Microsoft/NFL deal...

I think that had far more to do with getting Surface tablets on the sidelines to replace those massive play calling sheets than getting content on the Xbox.

Then MS paid a boat load of money for Sunday product placement advertising. Although, who knows. With how much the NFL gets for advertising, maybe that was close to the going rate.

I agree. I think Microsoft ignoring BC was a big mistake. They figured they could do it because Sony did it, but they also opened the door for people to feel no loyalty to any one console this time around.

Oh, no doubt. With my digital backlog on XBLA, if One was BC, buying it would be a no-brainer.

My interest in One has dropped to pretty much zero now, and I'm an original 2001 Xbot rabid fanboy and paying Live member since 2002.

Microsoft, you done fucked up. Which is amazing because you had the best hardware two gens ago and the best overall console last gen and you ate a huge chunk of Sony's marketshare when few thought that possible.

gimmmick

MS is sure making it easier for majority of us that only want to go one console next season. So far, ps4 seems like the way to go from a hardware stand point.

Again, not doubting dude, but WHY exactly is CBOAT so trustworthy that his word is law? Or is *that* secret too. -_-

Mods gave them their blessing. He's given information several times before that ended up being right. People who give false info or claim to have info and can't be verified by mods are banned.

WolvenOne

Not to mention that supply constraints will ensure the ps4 has an install base advantage going into 2014.

If they're going up against a 50-100% more powerful competitor that has a lower price tag and a larger install base by mid to late 2014, they're in for a rough ride.

This is true, though it might be premature to assume the PS4 will cost less right at this moment. Poor yields and the inclusion of the Kinect would seem to suggest that the X-Bone might cost more, but, we don't yet know how much Microsoft is willing to lose on each console, and it isn't as if 8GB of GDDR5 Ram is dirt cheap either.

Again, you are right about the poor yields. Assuming Microsoft doesn't get that problem fixed entirely by launch, that could prove to be a big problem.

LOL. No, MS don't approach a dev and say 'we want you to dumb down PS4 games', they say 'Games on the X1 have to look and play as good as PS4 games.' The result is then inevitable
Devs won't be okay with that. MS isn't some special case that publishers will diminish their games for.

PS3:
1 year late.
$200 more expensive.
No games.
Hot and huge.

I divined this just for you.

The XBoneR will be far worse than the PS3 debacle. I'm getting something I'm getting something.

The console will not be late, but it will be heavily supply constrained. This will go well into 2014. I estimate it won't be fixed till Summer 2014 minimum.

It will not be much more expensive than the PS4, but they will confuse inbred hicks from the south going "I GUN GET ME SOME CALLA DOOTY. What's that? Sexbox One? two hundred cheaper with subscription? I"M GUN GET DAT ONE." While the reality is the cost is going to be significantly greater than the PS4.

Weaker System at launch. The PS3 was not a weaker system, just built differently. The Boner is truly a weaker system in every sense of the way.

No Games. Microsoft has no games and will continue to have no games. They will focus on TV and shut down their studios again once the first two or three years are gone. If that. They did it on the 360 and pc divisions and will do it again. They will live on 3rd party games and they will truly have "NO GAMES"

Hot and Huge. This thing is uglier and probably slightly bigger than the PS3. Unlike the PS3, this thing is a Tivo. It looks gaudy and cheap. I'm getting something. And because it is being rushed, it will be glitchy and have another red ring level catastrophe due to being rushed.

So says the oracle.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The news really just keeps coming. I have no idea what MS's engineers were thinking when they designed this machine. It sounds (from what I've read anyway) like the actual build is anything but optimized, like they just threw a bunch of parts onto a board, slapped it in a fancy box and called it a day.

Some please correct me if my reading comprehension is made of fail, but if I understand correctly on a power-scale, Does it change the presumed levels from this:

PS4>Xbone>>>>>>>Wii U

to this:

PS4>>>Xbone>>>>>Wii U

?

Isn't that more or less what they did with the original Xbox? The hint is in the name I guess.

DC1

PS3:
1 year late.
$200 more expensive.
No games.
Hot and huge.

So so wrong..... (except for the first two)

Did Microsoft ever promise to detail their GPU Specs at E3? I mean, all they really told us were about the Transistors, but no other real details (FLOPS?).

I assumed we would hear more about the meat of the hardware at E3, but with so many insiders continuing to repeat the fact that Microsoft didn't detail many specs of the GPU were a sign, its a pretty bad sign.

Every Microsoft Employee in a suit, and Major Nelson, promised all these detailed answers at E3 but I was wondering if GPU specs were one of them. It is pretty obvious that we will not know for a WHILE what those specific specs are.

Man, it's crazy to see people still rationalizing the mess that was PS3 when even Mark Cerny obviously feels it was exactly that. I'm a PS3 owner but I don't pretend that Sony didn't fuck up hard with that system.

That said, One may shape up to be a bigger mess.

Blue_Moon

Neo Member
its like microsoft swam in a huge pile a crap when thought about the design of the XBox One....

kinda like this....

EDIT: I removed the link... just forget it...

I mean, What the Hell man...... Who's actually running the show at Redmond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom