• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft: Forza 5 runs at 60 fps, Xbox One has no fps/resolution requirements

jett

D-Member
Yeah my bullshit reason does apply here too i just used it to point @ graphical side of game where most of the "AAA" games does push graphic a lot. 1080p this gen was possible only for games that didn't render much. Almost all games that pushed polygon count were 720p or even less

Wipeout HD is irrefutably one of the best looking games on the PS3. Man just...whatever.

forza5.png

At this to the OP.
LOL silly you forgot to ad the decimal points

108.0P @ 6.0 FPS

60fps but not 1080p???????

I'm joking!

For once, good news for X1. I'm happy to hear that it'll run at 1080p60 and it's safe to say it'll look significantly better than Forza 4. Now if MS drops a bomb at E3 and announce Halo 5 at the same res/frame rate then they may just win me over. Currently, this isn't enough to negate all of the Kinect/TV buzz.

Also, you can flip it anyway you want, but Killzone and Drive Club both running at 30fps on PS4 is pathetic.

I'm so confused by statements like this. Are you a Halo fan? If so, why does a resolution number matter if the game plays well/looks good? You're not going to play a game from the series you're a fan of, because it doesn't have a specific resolution? Or that matter disregard an entire console because of that?

LeBoef

I'm so confused by statements like this. Are you a Halo fan? If so, why does a resolution number matter if the game plays well/looks good? You're not going to play a game from the series you're a fan of, because it doesn't have a specific resolution? Or that matter disregard an entire console because of that?

it is important for the console war you have with friends. its not about gameplay its about resolution and fps.

edit
imagine what horror it ll be, when you looove a game and its look. suddenly everyone starts to laugh at you: its running on 720p@30fps
imagine how stupid you would look... you didnt even care... AS A HARDCORE GAMER YOU MUST CARE

o_O

it is important for the console war you have with friends. its not about gameplay its about resolution and fps.

edit
imagine what horror it ll be, when you looove a game and its look. suddenly everyone starts to laugh at you: its running on 720p@30fps
imagine how stupid you would look... you didnt even care... AS A HARDCORE GAMER YOU MUST CARE

o_O

Oh how the XBro's and the Sony Ponies used to make fun of little James and his Wii

Littile did they know that all that time spent waggling with his Wii giving him ultimate control

And he eventually became............

tumblr_m48ocnpKvo1rrk1mmo1_500.gif

Ryuuga

Banned
You're joking right? Multiple people in that thread brought it up, I never even brought it up in the first place.

I'm the one saying that it's not underclocked at all.

Yeah, I'll take this one to PM though it's already too late to save this thread from derailment.

TheExodu5

Banned
I see nothing wrong with this. No need to put restrictions that might hamper progress. If devs want to sacrifice resolution or framerate for better visuals and new technologiea, they should be allowed to. Games would not look nearly as good as they do today if devs were redtricted to 1080p and/or 60fps for the current generation.

i-Lo

I see nothing wrong with this. No need to put restrictions that might hamper progress. If devs want to sacrifice resolution or framerate for better visuals and new technologiea, they should be allowed to. Games would not look nearly as good as they do today if devs were redtricted to 1080p and/or 60fps for the current generation.

Exactly. It's a console with locked hardware. As time progresses both Xbone and PS4 games will show a drop in native resolution which will be up-scaled to 1080p.

foogles

You know what? 1080p60 is not even really on my list of Things I Want Most From Forza, and I am a PC gamer at heart with years of time spent gaming almost entirely at 1080p60.

There are many other parts of Forza 5 that could make or break it as the front-runner launch game for the Xbox One. Will a new racing wheel be announced? Will it work with the very expensive previous Forza-branded wheels made for the 360 that were released less than two years ago? Will it have a day/night cycle? Weather? What's the track selection like? Will the Top Gear cooperation go even deeper? What's the career mode going to look like? What solutions will Turn 10 have for the years' worth of problems we've had in online races as far as lag, jumpy cars, or multiple car pile-ups in the first corner? Will we finally be able to make liveries using something other than a frigging gamepad?

As far as 1080p60 goes, that's not even a good measure of whether Turn 10 have had to scale things back to "fit" on the Xbox One. Of course they've had to scale things back. All racing games do, and nearly all other games do - of course Sony and MS are pulling your chain with that bullshit talk of seemingly limitless power. As far as Forza 5 goes, car models' poly counts can go into the millions - each - and then must be reduced, road scans' resolution must be downscaled to fit, even with 8GB of memory, and the coders could have always put more light and shadow passes and crazy effects in to the game to the point that they'd challenge even a pair of GTX Titans.

Stop thinking that Forza 5 is going to be the show of how limited or shitty or broken the Xbox One is because all hardware is limited and no single measure (like screen resolution) or even two measures (resolution + frame rate) will really tell you about the power of the console. Until there's a live demo running on real hardware where you can actually *see* what compromises they had to make, all sitting alongside important information like native resolution and frame rate, you won't know much about the performance anyway. And even if everything looks amazing, there are still huge pitfalls that hopefully Turn 10 avoided. After all, a good looking but rushed and empty-feeling racing game is not going to be a good front-running launch game.

Without good resolution the game looks like a blurry, jaggy,ugly, mess.
There should be requirements to set a standard for games. If they do not have standards then we might get 640p 30fps titles again! Only for the sake of more graphical effects. Then they will have to release bullshots because native screens will look horrible. The standards for next gen should be 1080p. What I would like is 1080p 60fps, but I am sure devs will just complain they cannot get enough real time particle effects running so just 1080p would be a compromise.

Without good resolution the game looks like a blurry, jaggy,ugly, mess.

There should be requirements to set a standard for games. If they do not have standards then we might get 640p 30fps titles again! Only for the sake of more graphical effects. Then they will have to release bullshots because native screens will look horrible. The standards for next gen should be 1080p. What I would like is 1080p 60fps, but I am sure devs will just complain they cannot get enough real time particle effects running so just 1080p would be a compromise.

Let devs do what they want and let customers vote with their wallets.

Perkel

Banned
I suspect they'll do the same thing they did with the Xbox 360 and Forza 2-4.

If you go back to the Forza 2 & 3 days the developers talk about how crucial 60fps is to a racing game, then suddenly when they are starting to be put in the shade by Gran Turismo 5 they sacrifice frame-rate for graphics with a 30fps Forza 4.

Forza 5 might be 60fps but I wouldn't be surprised if Forza 6 is 30fps in order to get better graphics out of the system.

Go home you are drunk

Perkel

Banned
Wipeout HD is irrefutably one of the best looking games on the PS3. Man just...whatever.

Rayman and Okami are probably the best looking games imo and they also don't have much on screen. Art style and "look" of the game are not technical aspects of games.
As of Wipeout HD it uses dynamic resolution so even if it is not pushing a lot on screen it still have problems.

1080p has its price which needs to be paid. Current gen and next gen will all pay that price one way or other.

Can only utilize 6 out of 8 cores when playing games
Can only utilize 90% of the GPU power when playing games
Can only utilize 5 out of 8 GB RAM when playing games
eSRAM yield problems, downclocking GPU to 8-900 GFLOP's(?)

This doesn't mean they can't achieve 1080/60.

Anyway, is the downclocking confirmed? I thought only the yields issue was confirmed by CBOAT?

Perkel

Banned
This doesn't mean they can't achieve 1080/60.

Anyway, is the downclocking confirmed? I thought only the yields issue was confirmed by CBOAT?

No downclock is rumor because it is best way to get better yields. If they have big yield problems than they will do everything to get xbone this year same as Sony which means down-clock is real possibility. Since SRAM is GPU bound then it is GPU that may be downclocked.

No downclock is rumor because it is best way to get better yields. If they have big yield problems than they will do everything to get xbone this year same as Sony which means down-clock is real possibility. Since SRAM is GPU bound then it is GPU that may be downclocked.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the clarification and explanation.

bedlamite

Way too much stupidity going on in this thread, and that's saying something, compared to what's going on in the other Xbone threads.

It's not very likely, there are other ways for dealing with poor yields (launch delayed in certain territories to build up stock being the most obvious one), and we don't have enough information to know what yields we are talking about and whether they would only affect the next batch of devkits or also the final retail units. Not to mention that we never got a confirmation of the target clock before the alleged downclocks. Also, something in that theory simply doesn't add up - if Microsoft is willing to downclock because they don't really care about being compared to PS4, then surely they're not in a hurry to launch at the same time as Sony either.

In any case, we'll see what happens.

Xenon

I don't see what the problem is here. People just want to make sure no one is disappointed if 1080P60FPS doesn't happen. After all MS is a soulless company that would stop at nothing to get us to buy into their DRM. T10 is under such a despicable corporation and it's foolish to take them at their word.

I just want to thank everyone here who has taken such a personal interest in managing Xbox One fan's expectations.

j1kVrFN.jpg

Yeah my bullshit reason does apply here too i just used it to point @ graphical side of game where most of the "AAA" games does push graphic a lot. 1080p this gen was possible only for games that didn't render much. Almost all games that pushed polygon count were 720p or even less

That may be true but what has polygon count got to do with resolution? Overdraw?

reson8or

I don't see what the problem is here. People just want to make sure no one is disappointed if 1080P60FPS doesn't happen. After all MS is a soulless company that would stop at nothing to get us to buy into their DRM. T10 is under such a despicable corporation and it's foolish to take them at their word.

I just want to thank everyone here who has taken such a personal interest in managing Xbox One fan's expectations.

j1kVrFN.jpg

Wow man, while I understand your frustrations, but I think you undermine your point if you "stoop to their levels." Just my opinion.

reson8or

Rayman and Okami are probably the best looking games imo and they also don't have much on screen. Art style and "look" of the game are not technical aspects of games.
As of Wipeout HD it uses dynamic resolution so even if it is not pushing a lot on screen it still have problems.

1080p has its price which needs to be paid. Current gen and next gen will all pay that price one way or other.

Wipeout looks AMAZING in motion. All that frame count and dynamic resolution stuff is really overblown. "Effectively" when playing the game, its runs 1080/60.

Xenon

Wow man, while I understand your frustrations, but I think you undermine your point if you "stoop to their levels." Just my opinion.

If you see me in me PS3 threads doing things like that, then you would have a point. But that would never happen because I plan on buying one an have no vested interest in it doing poorly.

bj00rn_

Banned
Is this how every Xbox related thread is going to be in the future? I don't mean the criticism part, but the juvenile LOL-ing of anything Xbox related in threads like these where it has no place. Does anyone actually think the random and nonsense vile is good for the forum?

Gestault

The first pages of this thread are embarrassing. People being upset that a game is running at 1080p at 60 fps, and doing their best to convince themselves and others that it's not true is just...wow. Gaming.

MtZ9N.gif

AkuMifune

Banned
Is this how every Xbox related thread is going to be in the future? I don't mean the criticism part, but the juvenile LOL-ing of anything Xbox related in threads like these where it has no place. Does anyone actually think the random and nonsense vile is good for the forum?

I forgot how fun next-gen console transitions were too.

There is nothing I hate more than that .gif.

KageMaru

so why is this thread still alive after Forza was said to be 1080p60?

I completely agree that wipeout HD is gorgeous, but you bolded a line talking about games pushing poly counts, which doesn't seem to be the case with Wipeout HD.

BigDug13

I don't understand why MS was spouting all that "resolution isn't that important" talk when it was unnecessary.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the completed game in action.

so why is this thread still alive after Forza was said to be 1080p60?

I completely agree that wipeout HD is gorgeous, but you bolded a line talking about games pushing poly counts, which doesn't seem to be the case with Wipeout HD.

This thread was never about the resolution of Forza 5. It was about them not mandating any set of parameters for games. It was mentioned that Forza would be 60FPS but others wouldn't, so trolls took that to mean that meant Forza wouldn't/couldn't be 1080p because "reasons".

Gestault

I don't understand why MS was spouting all that "resolution isn't that important" talk when it was unnecessary.

I'll reserve judgement until I see the completed game in action.

As much as I understand why waiting to see is a good policy in general, you should probably realize how skewed your outlook on this whole thing looks, based simply on this post. It's a game highlight interview, one where the game manages good resolution and framerate, and the company still wanted to make the point to say they're not forcing developers to do anything they don't want to, and your (and certainly not only your) reaction was to assume some malevolent innuendo. Even when that contradicted the details from before about the game.

There's a good reason why you can't understand how the game discussed could run at 1080p when they were "spouting that resolution isn't important." You're thinking about it like a crazy person.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well we are just now ending the 720p gen (yes I know 95% of the later titles for ps360 were subhd resolutions), but gamers should be expecting 1080p resolutions as standard moving into the new gen.

Both Microsoft and to a lesser extent Sony, failed or will fail to release a console that hits that 2.5 tflop mark set by Epic as being the minimal point of 'nextgen'... of course since the reveals of next gen consoles, Epic is trying to rewind that statement.

Recent news this week suggest xBone perhaps wont even hit the 1 tflop point... I find that hard to wrap my mind around. Its almost like Microsoft just waved the white flag in the console war and is just going after TV addicts and trying to convert them into gamers.
I see what you mean. I was thinking that if the Xbox One or PS4 games are in 720p, but still have much better graphics, i dont think it is that big a deal that the games are running in 720p.

Top Bottom