• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Results]

cj_iwakura

QUIppKS.png

After two weeks of voting, I'm proud to bring you NeoGAF's Essential Shmups of 2013.

Be Attitude For Gains!

BuCCiME.jpg

3PeX0TF.jpg

#1 - Ikaruga - 46 votes

1) Ikaruga - One of the biggest things I look for in a shmup is an elusive quality I call rhythm. The organization of enemies, the pace at which you destroy shit, where the slight pauses are between waves. For me, Ikaruga has the best rhythm of the shmups and is more or less the game that caused me to fall in love with the genre.

irwCBlq.jpg

#2 - Mushihimesama Futari - 34 votes
1. Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (360/ARC): Hands down the best scrolling shooter I've ever played, and one of my top three games of all time. Cave could dominate my top 5 all by themselves, but this is their shining moment. Variable difficulty modes with three different scoring systems, including dynamic rank, proximity kills, and counter cash-ins. Gorgeous Nausicaa-esque visuals, with purple bullet blossoms and tons of gleaming gems. This is a game that just keeps giving, and one that shouldn't be missed by any genre fan.

uiAoXda.jpg

#3 - Gradius V - 32 votes
Fuck Ikaruga, this is Treasure's real game. Gradius V is a shmup spectacle unmatched by any other. Annoying and unskippable story sequences are a drag, but that doesn't stop Gradius V from feeling like the Street Fighter IV of shmups: it ignores the evolution the genre had undergone from the late 90's into the early 2000's and brings things back to basics in a high-production, spectacular way. I like it a whole lot.

zUCUtO7.jpg

#4 - Radiant Silvergun - 18 votes
The level and boss variety in this game cannot be overstated. Between the xp system, varied locales, and narrative, it can feel at times like an adventure game in shmup clothing - there's just so much to do throughout. Also, despite the puzzle style scoring, it's a shooter at heart unlike Ikaruga :p

Yk3fnhp.jpg

#5 - Ketsui - 15 votes (TIE)
This is my ideal Cave game. The enemy designs are awesome. The patterns are fast and nasty, matched only by Daioujou's, and they're perfectly placed. The environments are bleak and gritty. The music is straight-up evil. The scoring system, should you want to mess with it, is easy to understand, hella risky, and visually and aurally satisfying.

hwAaTaK.jpg

#5 - Lifeforce / Salamander - 15 votes (TIE)
This game blew my young mind back in the 80s, both graphically and challenge-wise. As a kid this game inspired me to "design" (draw in a sheet of paper) my own levels and play through them with a pencil... instead of paying attention to the class I was currently at. Very varied and ingenious level design was the bread and butter of the Gradius/Salamander series but this always felt special.

6XmZ5HP.jpg

#6 - Mars Matrix - 14 votes
An all-time classic. Blistering difficulty, great scoring systems, and a novel bullet reflect system that's 100% Takumi. The Dreamcast version is the way to go, with a shop system that gives you rewards to spend all those golden cubes on. I blame Mars Matrix for getting me into high-scoring. A wonderful game, really.

Fhokjxi.jpg

#7 - Axelay - 13 votes (TIE)
The continue screen in this game, with the planet being eclipsed in flames left a very lasting impression in me. This game wasn't afraid of saying "hey! look at my graphics! I'm a show-off!", while still playing great. Level 2 where you travel through a space colony, only to see the planet in the distance is one of those parts where you wished we could be that technologically advanced.

cVenkx4.jpg

#7 - R-Type - 13 votes (TIE)
In my eyes there is just not a more important game to play in the genre than R-Type. the music is perfect, it introduces a very cool weapons system with different kind of options. Has the one-button two types of shot technique. Sprite work is exquisite. Bydo Empire is, hands down, the best enemy to shoot against. And it is tough. Some might see the memorization as a negative but that is what shmups began as and even the more modern ones where you guide your bullets still require deep pattern memorization and manipulation. R-Type is my true desert island shmup.

fAiW9r6.jpg

#8 - Bangai-O - 11 votes (TIE)
A shoot'em up with puzzle elements where you pilot a giant robot ?!? Treasure makes fun of the shmup genre here, and the game was really great fun to play. Bonus points for the gratuitous missile massacre.

5qCQ6Mt.jpg

#8 - R-Type Final - 11 votes (TIE)
I don't know if I could put up with its technical issues (loadtimes, framerate) nowadays but the game's atmosphere is like nothing else. Bazillions of ships and secrets to unlock give it plenty of life if you're not the type to just play these games for score and such.

bVqHaj3.jpg

#8 - Darius Gaiden - 11 votes (TIE)
My favorite in this series. The branching pathways can lead to some excessively brutal levels but I still think the game is perfectly manageable. My favorite score in any STG.

CPhvAfR.jpg

#9 - Espgaluda - 10 votes (TIE)
1. ESPGaluda - my favorite shmup ever. I think the "kakusei" system is absolutely brilliant and balanced for both newcomers to bullet-hell and veterans who want to get the most out of the game's scoring system. Great music and a steampunk-type setting round out the package.

gJKGT1l.jpg

#9 - Muchi Muchi Pork - 10 votes (TIE)
Kill enemies, collect pigs; use lard shot to kill enemies, produce and collect pork. This simple four-step cycle, and the vicious score chase that it creates, is what fuels Muchi Muchi Pork, a game that merges Battle Garegga programmer Shinobu Yagawa's harsh rank management gameplay style with the late period "item explosion" hedonism of Ikeda. Although the two would collaborate on other games later on, this one had the best synthesis, it wasn't too grindy like Ibara, and it wasn't too technical like Dodonpachi. In a just world, this game would be beloved right alongside Ikaruga and other reviewer darlings...

The more pork the better.

Wy8N4lT.jpg

#10 - Akai Katana / Crimzon Clover / Geometry Wars 2 / Progear no Arashi / Thunder Force III / Thunder Force IV
9 votes, six-way tie)

*Love the scoring system in this game - once you get the hang of it, it's amazingly satisfying. - Gunstar Hero
*Break mode and double break mode create ENORMOUS gold and as per the usual enemy bullets on screen when they die also become gold. One of the best games ever made. - Shaowebb
*The best use of an online leaderboard system. The best conduit to scorechasing ever made. Every high-skill score game should steal this system; every single one. -DJ Incompetent
*Playing this game on an emulator was the catalyst to my first Candy Cab purchase in 2009 so that I could play the original CPS2 board. I love everything about it, the art, the music etc. - Hodders
*Maybe not the best I have played, but it is fantastic and it was the game that got me into the genre to begin with. Still think it has some of the best Genesis music. - gngf123
*Just an amazing game. Awesome weapon switching, awesome soundtrack, awesome stages that are several screens tall, awesome everything. - Luka

The rest of the nominees and votes received:

Code:
Raiden Fighters Jet	8
Mushihimesama	8
Gradius Gaiden	8
Espgaluda 2	8
DoDonPachi	8
Deathsmiles	8
BattleGaregga	8
Super Stardust HD	7
Sin & Punishment 2 	7
R-Type Delta	7
Lords of Thunder	7
Einhänder	7
DoDonPachi Maximum	7
Soukyogurentai	6
Sine Mora	6
M.U.S.H.A.	6
Gradius III	6
Gradius II	6
ESP RA.DE.	6
DoDonPachi DaiouJou	6
Darius Burst	6
Contra	6
Castle Shikigami 2	6
Blazing Star	6
Twinkle Star Sprites	5
Trouble Witches Neo	5
Super Stardust Delta	5
Söldner-X 2	5
Sengoku Blade	5
Raystorm	5
Guwange	5
Gunbird 2	5
Ginga Force	5
G-Darius	5
DeathLabel	5
Under Defeat HD	4
Tyrian	4
Thunder Force V	4
Thunder Cross	4
Starfox 64	4
Space Invaders Infinity Gene	4
Soldier Blade	4
Sin & Punishment	4
Rez	4
Radirgy	4
Pink Sweets	4
Nexzr	4
Giga Wing	4
Gate of Thunder	4
Bangai-O Spirits	4
Touhou 08: Imperishable Night	3
The Guardian Legend	3
Space Megaforce	3
Senko no Ronde Duo	3
Salamander 2	3
Rayforce	3
Raiden Fighters Aces	3
Parodius	3
Panzer Dragoon Zwei	3
KiKi KaiKai	3
Ibara	3
Gunstar Heroes	3
Gleylancer	3
Gaiares	3
Fantasy Zone	3
Exceed 3rd	3
Donpachi	3
Dangun Feveron	3
Cotton Boomerang	3
Cotton 2	3
Cotton 100%	3
Cannon Spike	3
Batsugun	3
Zero Wing	2
Zanac	2
XMultiply	2
View Point	2
Vertical Force	2
U.N. Squadron	2
Twinkle Tale	2
Touhou 12: Phantasmagoria of Flower ViewV	2
Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism	2
Thundercross	2
Tempest	2
Super Star Soldier	2
Super Aleste	2
Strikers 1999	2
Spriggan Mk II	2
Space Invaders Extreme 2	2
Space Harrier	2
Söldner-X:Himmelsstürmer	2
Sol-Feace	2
Silpheed (SCD)	2
Shooting Love 200x	2
Sexy Parodius	2
Raycrisis	2
Raptor: Call of the Shadows	2
Pulstar	2
Power-Strike II	2
PARSEC47	2
Panzer Dragoon	2
Metal Black 	2
Hitogata Happa	2
Gravity Crash	2
Gradius: Interstellar Assault	2
Galaga Legions	2
Galaga	2
Exceed: GBC	2
Every Extend	2
Eschatos	2
Dragon Spirit	2
Dogyuun	2
DoDonPachi Resurrection	2
Deathsmiles 2x	2
Cotton: Fantastic Night Dreams	2
Castle Shikigami	2
Border Down	2
Blazing Lasers	2
Armed Police Batrider	2
Aero Blasters	2
ZeroGunner2	1
Zanac X Zanac	1
Xenon 2	1
Twinbee	1
Tumiki Fighters	1
Triggerheart Exelica	1
Touhou: 07: Perfect Cherry Blossom	1
Thunder Force	1
Super Dimensional Fortress Mac	1
Sunset Riders	1
Starfox	1
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II	1
Shock Troopers 2	1
Shock Troopers	1
RRootage	1
Raiden Project	1
Raiden 2	1
R-Type Leo	1
R-Type II	1
Omega Fighter	1
Noiz2sa	1
Metal Slug 3	1
Mamoru-Kun Curse!	1
Layer Section	1
Jets 'N' Guns	1
Jamestown	1
Image Fight	1
Hydorah	1
Gunsmoke	1
Gunbird	1
Grid Wars 2	1
Eliminate Down	1
Eden's Aegis	1
Dead Nation	1
Darius	1
D-Force	1
Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken	1
Choplifter	1
Battle Squadron	1
Assault Suits Leynos	1
Air Buster	1
Ai Cho Aniki	1
After Burner: Climax	1
Aero Fighters 2	1

Thanks for voting!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I never would have predicted R Type Final placing over R Type Delta.

Five Treasure games in the Top 8? Welp.

What's going to be your next genre, cj?

cj_iwakura

I never would have predicted R Type Final placing over R Type Delta.

What's going to be your next genre, cj?

Probably first person dungeon crawling. That one I'll actually have to regulate what people nominate.

Awesome list, number 1 was never in doubt, gonna go a try and finish it off in a few weeks after several attempts.

I dunno if it would be worth it but I'd love to see someone try and do a NeoGAF's Essential DS games or something, try and get the top 50 DS games as voted by GAF.

FauX

I can't believe Axelay still holds up very well against those monsters (Ikaruga and Gradius V).

Why Konami have not bring this game back?

Teknoman

Subscribed for gains. I need to get the Famicom Salamander since apparently that is a remixed / has some different elements than the Arcade Salamander or Life Force. Cool that two Thunder Force games (technically) made the line up. The only R-type i've ever beaten was 3...and that was with the help of VC save states, so I need to get on that.

cj_iwakura

I'm happy Darius Gaiden did so well. It's a fantastic game.

Only a few more votes and Shiki 2 could've made top 10. :(

I'm certainly not surprised considering the venue, but still: King Treasure!

Somewhat disappointed about Axelay being so high, but the R-Type representation makes up for it.

Wish more people would have voted.

I'm happy Darius Gaiden did so well. It's a fantastic game.

Indeed. And it's been ported everywhere; I hope the thread inspires folks to pick it up.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Gradius Gaiden didn't get in the top 10. I feel nothing but righteous indignation.

Tempered somewhat by R-Type recognition though, just surprised Final made it over Delta. More people should play Delta.

Water

I sure hope some folks go and try Tumiki Fighters (download) and we see it creeping up the list next year.

For a reference score, I think I've reached something like 2.8M, but have not beat the last boss.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Don't know about Ikaruga, but overall a solid list. I still have to catch up on a lot of these games, though.
I'm glad Mushihimesama actually made second place. Well deserved. This is probably the only genre where an import game can score this high.

Thanks to cj_iwakura for all the hard work.

Mushihimesama Futari is my most played Shmup for sure. Cool that it's at #2.

Thanks for doing this. I'll try and check out some of the ones I haven't played.

japtor

Heh, same reaction here, well I counted four games though. Axelay as pre Treasure being the fifth? Expected Ikaruga and RS, probably Gradius V, didn't expect Bangai-O (even if I gave it a vote to mix things up). I'm just glad Ketsui was up there, speaking of which...
I'm glad Mushihimesama actually made second place. Well deserved. This is probably the only genre where an import game can score this high.
I guess I should be surprised Ketsui is up there too thinking about it accessibility wise. Other than the upcoming PS3 port and emulation relatively recently, the only playable forms were the PCB and region locked 360 import.

And I wonder if SDOJ would change anyone's lists, I'm liking it a lot, definitely enough to give it a vote.

gngf123

Damn, if I knew I would be quoted I would have tried to write something better!

A really good list generally. Not at all surprised to see Ikaruga come out number 1.

Gradius Gaiden deserved better. it's an older import game, but most people had a chance to catch up on the psp, and that's it.

might be the reason why Xexex hasn't been mentioned. check that out of you can. fantastic game.

Awesome work on the thread. I enjoyed voting and reading through the discussions we had.

I now also have some new games I need to check out - starting with Bangai-O. Is the version on XBLA (HD Missile Fury i think its called) comparable to the original?

Empty

i've played ikaruga and geo wars 2 but nothing else on that top ten. what's the best to jump into for a newcomer?

i've played ikaruga and geo wars 2 but nothing else on that top ten. what's the best to jump into for a newcomer?

Of the Top 10 specifically? Lifeforce / Salamander and R-Type are probably the most accessible (and easy to find), but you should look into picking up the others if you can.

japtor

Awesome work on the thread. I enjoyed voting and reading through the discussions we had.

I now also have some new games I need to check out - starting with Bangai-O. Is the version on XBLA (HD Missile Fury i think its called) comparable to the original?
Gameplay wise they have the same general gimmick I think. I've never played the N64 one though, put most of my time in the DC and DS games, and only played a bit of the 360 one. Can't go wrong with any of them really, which is why I just voted for the whole series.

Sakujou

Banned
wow, i didnt know you guys were doin a poll for shmups.

its obviously ikaruga, but radiant silvergun is not the second place, therefore everything is wrong.

I wish Gradius V and R-Type Final would get some kind of PSN release. I really enjoy Soldner X-2 but wish I was playing either of the former every time.

vall03

Kind of what I expected from GAF, but I find the results weird. Add also that I think theres very few votes, but then again, theres only small sample size here in regards to the genre. Although I find it surprising that a lot of the votes here in GAF are mostly console releases and doujin shmups are very underrepresented too. I want to vote but I have very limited experience with the genre.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
an OK list.

/edit/ oh yay! my quote was selected for the #3 spot and my disdain for Ikaruga is already in this thread so I don't have to!

Himself

Mushihimesama Futari for 360 is region free so get that.

This is undoubtable an incredible game, but I would recommend that someone play their first Cave game in a language they understand just so they get a grasp of how to play. Then it's easier to dive into the Japanese releases and figure out the scoring system on your own.

SOME-MIST

If I even voted.. battle garegga wouldn't have had a chance :(
kind of blows my mind since everything about it is fantastic. But I'm sure the difficulty and rank system is probably off putting for most.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
apparently, not owning a 360 made me miss out on a lot of great shmups.

You really should own a 360 if you like shmups. Off the top of my head, I own:

Ikaruga
Radiant Silvergun
Guwange

Deathsmiles
Deathsmiles IIX
(DeltaZeal
XIIZeal)
(Muchi Muchi Pork!
Pink Sweets)
DoDonPachi Resurrection
Akai Katana
DoDonPachi Saidaioujou
Mushihimesama Futari
(Raiden Fighters
Raiden Fighters II
Raiden Fighters Jet)
Raiden IV
(R-Type
R-Type II)
Chronoblast

Otomedius Excellent

() notes games which comprise a single release.
italics notes digital releases

I'm missing a lot too, Espgaluda II, Bullet Soul, Ginga Force and Eschatos are on my to-buy list.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Really don't like that top 10 at all but shrug.

Also Progear tied with Geometry Wars 2 lmao. I'M OUT.

jbueno

Man Raiden Fighters 2 was robbed. Don't think Silvergun and Bangai O deserve a place on that list, would have been great to see some Raizing love, Batrider or Souky.

Lifeforce and R-type are the only things on here I'm really familiar with. This is a great resource for someone who wants to rediscover this genre.

Tain

Good work, regardless of how I feel about the results.

my entire being reacted pretty strongly to seeing ketsui one slot below radiant silvergun

cuilan

A mostly disappointing top 10 list, but I can't say I'm surprised by the results.

A 360 is pretty much required in order to play some of the better shmups available, so I can understand why such games received fewer votes.

Still, I'm glad Mushihime-sama Futari, Espgaluda, and Mars Matrix made it into the top 10.

Water

This is undoubtable an incredible game, but I would recommend that someone play their first Cave game in a language they understand just so they get a grasp of how to play. Then it's easier to dive into the Japanese releases and figure out the scoring system on your own.
Mushi Futari is the perfect start for someone new to bullet hells. Menus are in English, and in Original mode (which is the only mode you should be playing at first) there are no game mechanics beyond shooting and bombing. Even the scoring takes exactly one sentence to explain: if you can, kill enemies with laser when the big counter is blue, and kill enemies with spread shot when the counter is green. The amount of gems flowing onto the screen tells you when you are doing it right and when not.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Not surprised to see Ikaruga as #1, more surprised to not see Einhander in the top 10. This list reminds me I still haven't played Ketsui yet - what would be the best way to play?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I still haven't played Ketsui yet - what would be the best way to play?
1) Wait until July 25 for the upcoming PS3 port.
2) Buy a Japanese 360 and play the region locked 360 port.
3) Find an image of the PCB ROM and play it on MAME.
4) Buy the PCB and play it on your own arcade hardware.

Top Bottom