• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Voting Phase]

cj_iwakura

QUIppKS.png

Now that we've had 'essential' threads on things like RPGs, FPSes, and rhythm games, I figure it's time to give the other flavor of bullet hell some love.

Voting Phase

Voting will be open for the next two weeks, ending on June 16th, 2013 at 11:59PM EST. Feel free to edit your votes until then, but use your original post instead of duplicating the list on a new post. After the voting phase, I'll tally everyone's picks and create an OP with summaries of the top games.

1. Each member can vote for up to 5 games + 5 honorable mentions. If you include 5 games or less on your list, I will count them all as regular votes. If you have more than 5 games on your list but do not specify which ones are honorable mentions, I will assume the first 5 are regular votes and the ones after that are honorable mentions. If you want to list more than 10 games (some users did in the RPG thread), put them under a second heading called "Unranked Honorable Mentions".

2. You need to vote for at least 3 games to qualify. The purpose of this thread is to highlight shmups that you think are essential or worth playing, not to boost the ranking of 1 or 2 of your favorites.

3. Votes are semi-weighted. This is done to avoid ties in the final list. All regular votes are worth 2 points and all honorable mentions are worth 1 point. Following rule #1, this means you can have up to 5 games that each receive 2 points and 2 honorable mentions that each receive 1 point. Hopefully this will help to break up the number of ties.

4. All sub-genres of shmups are eligible for voting. Votes can be for any title released any system(or PC) at any point in time prior to the time you post your list.

Much like in the rhythm gaming thread, I won't be picky about what is or isn't a shmup. If you pilot a ship/person/whatever and have to maneuver through fields of bullets, it's eligible in my book. Hell, nominate Nier if makes you happy.

5. Back up your choices! No one is interested in reading a post that simply lists 5 games with no explanations.

Screens and music encouraged!

I highly encourage voters to include a few choice songs within their lists, ideally with links to youtube recordings or what not, i.e. Stage 2 (Pulstar).

6. Use full titles for the games you are voting for. Tallying votes is a tedious process that is made more difficult when people vote for DDP instead of Dodonpachi or whatever.

7. Votes for remakes, ports, and expansions of a game will be counted together with the original. Do not vote for the same game twice, even if you believe that the remake substantially changed the feel of the game (e.g. the PSP ports of Gradius).

That said, feel free to vote for a specific version of a game (and explain why that is the best version). When I create the final list I will list all of the platforms that each game is available on and make note of substantial remakes/expansions in the game's summary.

If the games are wildly different, then you should vote for the game that you're most fond of, such as Gradius II instead of Gradius V.

Here is a ballot template you can use:

1) Shmup 1 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

2) Shmup 2 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

3) Shmup 3 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

4) Shmup 4 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

5) Shmup 5 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

Honorable Mentions

1) Shmup 1 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

2) Shmup 1 - Explanation
Track Example (Game)

-------------------------------------------------------------

Feel free to modify the format if you want to include pictures or whatever.

Happy voting! I'll post mine soon.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Gradius V is pretty damn long.

I actually never finished it. I need to go back and do that, because I loved what I played of the game.

Anyway, I'll put together a list later. It's really just a matter of deciding whether Soukyugurentai or Mushihimesama is #1 for me.

Figure I'll start things off with a bang. Or a fizzle and a plop. I've played a fair amount of domestic shmups and practically zero of the popular games from Cave and co. So my list won't be filled with the usual favorites that will undoubtedly do better in this thread and instead simply focus on the games I played the most and enjoyed quite a bit. I'm not a serious shmup player and never play any one game enough to get particularly good or learn the in-and-outs of the scoring so I tend to favor other sorts.

Now, in no real particular order for my top five:

1) R-Type Final - Easily my most played. I loved the collecting of the ships in this and worked pretty hard trying to collect all of them before moving on. The branching levels was novel yet it was never ridiculously hard so I always felt like I was making some sort of progress. I just really liked this game and if I put a list of top PS2 games I would definitely include this on it.

2) Ikaruga - Everyone's favorite from the GameCube (or Dreamcast. Or Xbox 360, I suppose). I played this a lot on the GameCube and was pretty pumped that I could get to the last stage on a single continue and could S++ the first level (and I believe I got to S on the second level). I was fairly proud of how I could play it back then but I'm not so awesome when I tried again on the 360 years later.

3) Trouble Witches Neo - This and Ikaruga are the only two where I actually learned how to play well and tried to actually work on scoring and completing everything. I've played through the story a load of times working on scoring, learning characters, and getting achievements. Not likely a coincidence that this and Ikaruga also had in-game replays you could watch and those helped me work on how to play better. The voice acting and characters are goofy but I really dug the game.

4) Space Invaders Infinite Gene - I don't know why I love this game so much. I think it's partly the style of it as well as the progression in unlocking stuff constantly and the new weapons. And then when you get the last weapon you feel nearly invincible (though not quite). There's a ton of stuff to do in the game, too, which is something I appreciate.

5) Sine Mora - Admittedly I haven't put nearly as much time into this as the others but I probably would say I liked what I played more than most of these others I've included. It's just I game hop and I got it around the same time as a bunch of other games and haven't yet gone back to it. I'm including it because for my tastes I feel it's really well done and a high quality title that deserves some recognition (that I believe the hardcore fans of the genre don't agree with as much).

Honorable Mention

Galaga Legions DX - I loved the first one and thought this was a great sequel. A very unique take and probably not true to the typical games in the genre placing it out of the spectrum but in the end I decided it should count. I think the idea of knowing exactly where enemies are coming and having to work on the perfect placement of the satellites works wonderfully and it feels great when everything goes perfectly.

Lifeforce - And lastly this is the one that really started it for me and still one of my most played in the genre due to how much time I put into it as a kid. I've beaten the game countless times and learned every little particular in all the stages. And I think it's aged well and I'd enjoy it still to this day.

IrishNinja

...shit, i am so not ready for this, ranking MUSHA, Ikaruga, saturn stuff, R-Type Final/Gradius V etc is gonna be a bitch, and there's still so much ive yet to play.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Oh, this is a hard one, I feel like I have way too much catching up to do in this genre to make a definitive list, but I should know enough to make a good top 7. I will replay a bunch of games before I make my list, though. There's still a lot of time left.
Looking forward to listen through the music.

Agent 86

Neo Member
Top Five

1) Söldner-X 2: Final Prototype (PSN, Vita possible)
It's the games dynamic scoring & challenging scoring system that are one the key draws. You're encouraged to take risks and play on harder difficulty modes for higher scores, which makes it for a satisfying & challenging game. I'm a big fan of side-scrolling shmups, rather than top down, so this ranks first on this list for me. Lots of items to unlock provide incentive to keep playing, extra ships, lives & continues and specific challenges add a bit of variety to a solid game.

Stage 3 gameplay

2) Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
I didn't want to include both Delta & HD in my top five as they retain too many similarities. Delta introduces a number of fun & challenging bosses, and other elements to the game which make it feel a lot fresher than it's prequel.

Trailer

3) Space Invaders: Infinity Gene (IOS, XBL, PSN & Android)
Very re-playable game, lots of levels and introduces a variety of weapons to choose from. Very different from the original Space Invaders while still feeling true to it's roots. I first played this as an IOS game and it works incredibly well on the touch screen, and seems to lose nothing in its translation to the big screen.

Stage 4-1 Gameplay

4) Ikarugu (DC, GC, XBL)
Very challenging top down game that differentiates itself from many other shmups with it's system of being able to switch polarity, and absorb bullets of the same colour as your ship. Did I mention it was challenging? ;)

Chapter 3 Gameplay

5) Gravity Crash (PSN)
Not as relentless a schmup as the four above, although some of the user created levels would beg to differ. Love the music, and the graphical style of the game.

Gameplay

Honourable Mentions

1) Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer (PSN & PC)
Some would actually rank this above it's sequel, and I have no problem with that.

World 1-1 Gameplay

2) Super Stardust HD (PSN)
This could easily be swapped with Delta on my list above, I love the asteroids as an interesting take on the idea of 'bullet hell'. Challenging game when you're going for high scores and shares with Delta one of my favourite game modes - endless, which continues to throw challenges at you that get increasingly difficult as the minutes go by and high score goes up ...

Gamplay from Endless mode

japtor

6. Use full titles for the games you are voting for. Tallying votes is a tedious process that is made more difficult when people vote for DDP instead of Dodonpachi or whatever.
So do you want Ketsui Kizuna Jikoku Tachi or what?

Honestly my list might as well be Ketsui with everything else as an honorable mention, plus leaning older since I haven't played newer ones as much as I'd like to get a good feel on them.

1) Ketsui (PCB, 360, PS3, MAME?) - Fun scoring system that encourages slightly crazy play but is really simple to grasp and not really punishing if you screw up. Bullet patterns are crazy and fun but not (as) overwhelming in volume like some later games. The music is awesome, and the theming is military and completely devoid of lolis if that turns you off of many newer games.
Boss Music - "Darkened" (I'm upgrading the speakers in my cab after playing/hearing this on a newer cab with bassier speakers)

2) Ikaruga (NAOMI, DC, GC, 360) - Complete opposite scoring system that's relatively rigid so I should be against it...but it sucked me in way back, and still does when I sit down and play it. Iffy about putting this here at all since it's been a while since I've played, but the last time I did was about 8 years after the last time before that, and I still got sucked in. Probably cause I find the graphics/art and music to be all purdy.

3) Gunbird 2 (PCB, DC, PS2, MAME) - Relatively simple game by today's standards (particularly scoring), but decent depth in the different attacks and character ability variety. Starts out easy enough but quickly ramps up to hell a few levels in. And said characters have little text dialogs between stages, culminating in funny endings, two per character and still more with 2p combos!

4) Dangun Feveron (PCB, MAME) - Brutal punishing scoring system, but simple and fun like Ketsui, also encouraging crazy play. Also insanely fast with the fastest ship, plus it has a 3 minute score attack built in. The music is pretty great, and the announcer, oh god the announcer. You can't say the audio department slacked on the theme with this one.
Stage 5 Music - "Disco 999"

5) Bangai-O (any version, N64, DC, DS, 360) - (Going into sub-genre territory here...) Granted the different versions are different in various ways, but I like them all. Anime robot ridiculous projectile insanity (and then some) turned into playable game form. And the story screens have the usual Treasure wackiness.

Honorable Mentions

1) Cannon Spike (NAOMI, DC) - One of Psikyo's last games along with Zero Gunner 2 (deserves an honorable mention itself really). Kind of like a dual stick shooter, but not really. I guess more o hybrid beatem up style with heavy shmup influence and gameplay elements.
1st loop and 2nd loop videos.

2) DoDonPachi Maximum (Windows Phone, iOS) - Big caveat with this one, it's within the context of phone gaming (otherwise I'd stick Zero Gunner 2 here I guess). It's made to be played on the go and for that in particular works better than the usual full game ports. Launches faster, gets to gameplay faster, everything is bigger and easier to see, etc, just primed for mobile play. Otherwise it's kind of neat as a sort of DDP level and (an awesome) music remix compilation, along with a little Ketsui and Espgaluda (if only there was more of those and others).

Edit: 3 more mentionables for a 10 game list:
Zero Gunner 2 (NAOMI, DC) - Fun unique mechanic similar to Cannon Spike, but in a more traditional shmup level design/setting.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor (Wii) - Great use of the Wii remote aiming, fixes the control issues I had with the first game, and let the designers get crazier with the level designs/enemy patterns.

Mushihimesama (PCB, PS2, 360, iOS) - Hell if I can understand the scoring still, but the visual theme and music are great. The different modes provide a little variety and make it accessible to different players...it's something I wouldn't have minded seeing in their other games.
Run and guns in or out?
Probably:
4. All sub-genres of shmups are eligible for voting. Votes can be for any title released any system(or PC) at any point in time prior to the time you post your list.

Much like in the rhythm gaming thread, I won't be picky about what is or isn't a shmup. If you pilot a ship/person/whatever and have to maneuver through fields of bullets, it's eligible in my book. Hell, nominate Nier if makes you happy.
It'll be interesting how wide the selection will get as a result (then again this I sort of figure thread will probably attract more traditional shmup players than anything else). I tried to mix it up slightly cause of this (and I'd end up with an even more Cave+Psikyo heavy list).
No Dodonpachi within the first 10 posts am cry.
Can't stand the chaining system (how some people about Ikaruga's scoring, I feel about DDP's chaining), otherwise I'd probably have the original DDP up there somewhere. Well I find the patterns a bit lacking compared to their other stuff too I guess, but I haven't played enough DFK and don't have SDOJ yet.

(And yes I am happy to rub salt in the wound by using DDP Maximum there, but I decided on that before seeing your post)

gngf123

In no particular order, because I honestly don't feel I can rank them:

1) Thunder Force III - Maybe not the best I have played, but it is fantastic and it was the game that got me into the genre to begin with. Still think it has some of the best Genesis music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMIjllg47Hg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXfGEgLfO-k

2) Ikaruga - Neat polarity mechanic that separated itself from other games in the genre.

3) DoDonPachi - A good CAVE arcade shmup, and the first one I played.

4) R-Type Delta - It can get frustrating at times, but damn I had fun playing it.

5) Mars Matrix - Hard as hell, but good.

Mentions:

1) Sine Mora - A modern shmup that serves as a good introduction for new players, very well put together.
2) Jamestown - Similar reasons to the above.
3) Exceed 3rd JPBP - SSH does the soundtrack. All you need to know: http://tennen-sozai.bandcamp.com/album/exceed-3rd-jade-penetrate-original-soundtrack
4) Crimson Clover - Awesome doujin shmup
5) Touhou: Perfect Cherry Blossom - Another awesome doujin shmup. Has rightly gained a fairly large fanbase, and was one of the first doujin games I played.

1.) Deathsmiles - The soundtrack, scoring, fairly moderate challenge, and (despite the loli characters) general aesthetic really came together for me to make a highly replayable shmup. Burning Halloween Town

2.) Lords of Thunder - Compelling upgrade system; rocking, memorable soundtrack; just a blast to play. Cielom

3.) Salamander/Life Force - My first shmup, and one that I still play to this day. Some of the best tracks on the NES, too.

4.) Ikaruga - Interesting polarity mechanic. Keeps me coming back for more. Chapter 2

5.) Gradius II - I couldn't not put this in my top 5. Like Life Force, a true classic that I still find myself coming back to. Stage 1

Honorable Mention:

HM1.) Akai Katana - The scoring mechanics surrounding transformations make the game interesting, and the boss fights are particularly fun and well designed.
HM2.) Gate of Thunder - Lords of Thunder's almost equally attractive older sister.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
I don't know if this is specifically supposed to be for "bullet hell" games or just shmups in general. I'm just listing my favorites.

1. Contra (NES) - A great starter game for the genre. It's easily accessible, has a long campaign, tons of replay value and can be played with a friend. The game includes platforming, firing from cover, running and gunning and dodging bullets. It also has vertical and horizontal gameplay as well as enemy and boss pattern memorization - fundamentals in the genre. If there were a single game I would pick to introduce someone to the world of shmups, it would be this game.

2. Gradius V (PS2) - A beautiful throwback to old school shmups. This game is pretty much perfect.

3. Ikaruga (Dreamcast/Gamecube/Xbox 360) - Like Gradius V, this game is easy to learn, but hard to master. It's one of the best in the genre imo. It can also be played with two people.

4. Sin & Punishment (N64/Wii Virtual Console) - This was the first twin-stick shmup I ever played and is different from the others because the gameplay is on-rails instead of horizontal or vertical. The game also allows you to shoot, jump, dodge and perform melee attacks. The controls take some getting used to, but once they click, you're in for a great ride. The game can be played with a friend, but not in the traditional sense. In co-op, one person moves the character around the screen while the other players aims and shoots the gun. This may sound like a turn off, but it allows the ability to do things you normally wouldn't be able to do on your own and takes a lot of work to get good at as things can get pretty hectic in this game.

Can't stand the chaining system (how some people about Ikaruga's scoring, I feel about DDP's chaining), otherwise I'd probably have the original DDP up there somewhere. Well I find the patterns a bit lacking compared to their other stuff too I guess, but I haven't played enough DFK and don't have SDOJ yet.

(And yes I am happy to rub salt in the wound by using DDP Maximum there, but I decided on that before seeing your post)

I was referring to pretty much any DDP game. I find that they have immaculate controls and art style, regardless of the scoring mechanics.

1. Mushihimesama Futari Black Label (360/ARC): Hands down the best scrolling shooter I've ever played, and one of my top three games of all time. Cave could dominate my top 5 all by themselves, but this is their shining moment. Variable difficulty modes with three different scoring systems, including dynamic rank, proximity kills, and counter cash-ins. Gorgeous Nausicaa-esque visuals, with purple bullet blossoms and tons of gleaming gems. This is a game that just keeps giving, and one that shouldn't be missed by any genre fan.

2. Eschatos (360): Qute really blew me away with this release. I thought it actually looked pretty bland when I picked it up, and only bought it because of the included Judgement Silversword and Cardinal Sins packaged on-disc. And those games are indeed amazing, but Eschatos is masterwork that spans the entire shooter timeline, from Space Invaders to Dodonpachi. The bullet patterns in this game are so fresh and so variable, and the shield mechanic is entirely novel and enjoyable, allowing the game to crowd the screen with bullets without feeling unfair. But this isn't really a bullet hell game - it's more of a manic shooter that appropriates the best parts of every shooter genre when it feels like it. And god, that music. When your ship leaves the atmosphere, and you see the myriad stars in the sky, and the music dies down... I'd say that's my single favorite moment this gen.

3. Twinkle Star Sprites (DC/NG/ARC): An absolutely brilliant competitive shooter, which plays like a fusion shooter/puzzle/fighting game. This game is *loads* of fun, and can keep people playing the Dreamcast for hours. I've definitely had some all-nighters where we just played Twinkle Star Sprites well into the morning. The gameplay is surprisingly deep too, for something built on such a simple foundation. This is a game that needs to be played and learned from. The genre could use more of this sort of groundbreaking, incredibly fun design.

4. Mars Matrix (DC/ARC): An all-time classic. Blistering difficulty, great scoring systems, and a novel bullet reflect system that's 100% Takumi. The Dreamcast version is the way to go, with a shop system that gives you rewards to spend all those golden cubes on. I blame Mars Matrix for getting me into high-scoring. A wonderful game, really.

5. Geometry Wars 2 (360): Insanely addictive follow-up to an already great game. One of those games that you can sit and play for hours on end, alone or with friends. The leaderboard implementation is fantastic, the visuals are incredible, and the modes are varied and fantastic. In particular, pacifism mode could easily justify itself as a stand-alone game.

HM #1: Ginga Force (360): Qute's follow-up to Eschatos was much better than anybody could have expected. I may actually like it *more* than Eschatos, but it's a game that tries so many radical new ideas that I have a hard time placing it. Either way, Ginga Force is one of the best shooters I've ever played, and one that really needs to be played to be believed. The score attack ships in this game are absolutely amazing, and any one of them could star in its own game. There's one with Eschatos's reflector shield, one with a charge bomb and a shotgun laser, and one that slows down time and homes on enemies. But in the story mode, you can actually customize your ships, and it's really a great mechanic. I was originally put off by the fact that you play the levels one at a time, but it allows the game to pack in content, with some really chunky levels toward the end. Ginga Force has an initial learning curve as you figure out your weapons and subweapons, but after that it's pure gaming bliss. This is a game that's all about blowing stuff up, and it does a wonderful, wonderful job of making you feel that thrill. Not enough people have probably played this to secure it a win in these nominations, but they really, really should.

HM #2: Gate of Thunder (WII/TG-16): The greatest horizontal shooter of all time. The gameplay here is rock-solid, perfectly paced, and completely fair. The powerup system is great, never feeling like it punishes you for dying but rewarding you for staying alive. Each weapon has its own specific purpose, and Gate of Thunder allows you to aim them backward to take out enemies from the rear. The action feels perfectly chunky and weighty, and everything's in its right place. Gate of Thunder just does everything right.

HM #3: Metal Slug 3 (XBOX): A wonderfully animated game that's an absolute blast to play by yourself or with others. Metal Slug has always been Contra's superior, imo. Metal Slug 3 has lush graphics, lots of vehicles and some transformations, numerous branching paths, and an overall incredibly solid feel. It's impossible for me to settle for the XBLA one, since they nailed the original Xbox port with level select and extra content.

HM#4: Raiden Fighters Jet (360/ARC): A breakneck shooting game that packs as much manic action in every second as is humanly possible. The scoring system is awesome and the ship variety is grand. I especially love that you can take out bosses really fast, but they bring the hurt until you do. More shooters need to take Jet's approach to boss design.

Can't stand the chaining system (how some people about Ikaruga's scoring, I feel about DDP's chaining), otherwise I'd probably have the original DDP up there somewhere.

I feel you on this, as I'm not huge on either scoring system. However, the reason I think Ikaruga's scoring hurts the game so much is that it's completely unnatural and unenjoyable. You have to perfectly memorize stages, but in a way that's completely counterintuitive to how you would play the game otherwise. Dodonpachi, on the other hand, is all about using your rapid shot on small enemies and your stronger laser on bigger enemies, and taking them out quickly. For the most part, you're going to play Dodonpachi in a similar way whether you're chaining or just going for survival. Yeah, there are some things you'll do different. But if you compare the chains you'd get naturally in Dodonpachi versus those you'd get naturally in Ikaruga, it's a world of difference.

Dantard

Neo Member
1. Ikaruga - Polarity system, fast, pretty and not AS insane as other bullet hells. This is basically the only bullet hell I play.

2. Thunder Force IV - Cool and useful upgrades, which you can change at will. Awesome soundtrack. Amazing level art style. Soundtrack. Soundtrack. (did I mention the soundtrack?)

3. Lords of Thunder - I wanted to put Thunder Force III, but didn't want to repeat a series, so here we go: Lords of Thunder, the closest thing to the Thunder Force vibe outside of the series. (if I remember correctly, I think it was made by the same guys, no?)

4. Tyrian - I grew up with this one. Best. Casual. Shmup. Ever. So easy, but so long, so many upgrades, so many stages, so many ship and mode choices! So easy to pick up and play and replay time and time again.

5. Contra - Insanely awesome soundtrack. Great and varied levels. A Classic.

Honorable mention:
Thunder Force III - Do I need to say anything?

Gunstar Heroes - Awesome run n' gun! Fast-paced, awesome adrenaline-fueled scenarios, has multiplayer, great music and natural level selection is always a plus.

R-Type Final - So many unlockables to keep you playing! Tight controls, many ship/weapon choices, a reasonable soundtrack and some interesting levels.

Sunset Riders - Everyone loves Sunset Riders. Wild west and a more easy game for that change of pace when you want it.

EDIT: Edited to include run n' guns.

cj_iwakura

I'm okay with run'n'guns. To lessen the 'omg those aren't shmups' blow, I'll probably do separate lists after the main one.

Sin and Punishment, for instance, is a game I wouldn't want to exclude, and it's hard to call it a shmup, but it definitely feels like one.

Run and guns are absolutely scrolling shooters, and the OP did say to post anything you'd like. Really, they're much more like shooters than platformers, and imo confining genres into very specific modes of play are what leads to genre stagnation. I'd much rather have a ton of fusion games than every game playing like Dodonpachi or Thunder Force.

cj_iwakura

Also, I will be disappointed if there isn't at least one sincere vote for Nier.

image_thumb157.png

It really does bring the rain quite often.

1519517-bullets.jpg

Dantard

Neo Member
I don't know, I just find it weird calling something a shmup when it has no auto-scroll. I think it widens the genre too much. But, sure, if it's allowed by the OP then I'm okay with it (don't wanna start a classification debate in the thread). So I will have to edit my vote to include some run n' guns then (because gunstar heroes)

cj_iwakura

I don't know, I just find it weird calling something a shmup when it has no auto-scroll. I think it widens the genre too much. But, sure, if it's allowed by the OP then I'm okay with it (don't wanna start a classification debate in the thread). So I will have to edit my vote to include some run n' guns then (because gunstar heroes)

That's exactly why I prefer to open the floodgates. If I narrow it down, it becomes a nightmare to try and set boundaries. Just let people vote for what they will and we'll see where the cards fall.

elbourreau

Run and Guns allowed???? o___________O

Come on, it says SHMUPS on the title!! S.H.M.U.P.S ........

Contra, Metal Slugs as shmups?.......

tumblr_m7oq5k17pY1r3084q.jpg

1. shikigami no shiro
2. esp ra.de
3. guwange
4. touhou (if i have to pick one, phantasmagoria of flower view)
5. exceed

i have a fetish for controlling charas rather than ships. i also love pretty bullet pattern eye candy.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
  1. Metal Black - Full disclosure here: this is a kneejerk inclusion because I just discovered this game and I absolutely adore it. It has perfectly connected its shooting mechanics with its storyline, which is bleak to say the least. Metal Black is simply one of the most beautiful games I've played in my life. It's balls hard, clever and its ending should be appreciated by any Evangelion fan. ;)
  2. Mushihimesama Futari - By no small margin, my favorite CAVE game. Futari has a more subtle scoring system than other CAVE games like Akai Katana, and, when it comes down to it, is just very fun to play. Amazing music, colorful graphics and an imaginative universe, Mushihimesama Futari is familiar, yet unique.
  3. Gradius V - Fuck Ikaruga, this is Treasure's real game. Gradius V is a shmup spectacle unmatched by any other. Annoying and unskippable story sequences are a drag, but that doesn't stop Gradius V from feeling like the Street Fighter IV of shmups: it ignores the evolution the genre had undergone from the late 90's into the early 2000's and brings things back to basics in a high-production, spectacular way. I like it a whole lot.
  4. Rayforce / "Galactic Attack" / "Layer Section" / "Gunlock" - It goes by many names, and it is Taito's shining vert scroller. Rayforce or Galactic Attack or Layer Section or Gunlock utilizes depth like Xevious would have were it developed in the early/mid 90's. Those looking for a "back to basics" shmup should check it out; it's got absolutely beautiful sprite work the quality of which, imo, Taito would never reach again.
  5. Raiden Fighters Jet - A buttload of ships, ALL of which are good, a nifty progression system which feels like Diet Garegga, and hot sprite work. Raiden Fighters Jet is the best Fighters game, the best Raiden game, and one of the best vert scrollers ever. Scoring is very straightforward (compound medals to rank them up permanently, uncover fairies and the little devil thing, KILL STUFF FAST), but fun. Some really pretty sprite effects like sand being blown around on the desert stage and debris coming off of EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME (again kinda like Garegga). In terms of raw fun factor, Jet is #1 on this list.

HONORABLE MENTIONS
  • Soukyogurentai
  • Salamander 2

Jinko

You'll find most people only (deservedly) praise the music and story, which are phenomenal, but the boss fights are great too.

Agree, some of those boss fights are amazing.

I notice a lot of the Shmups so far and on old systems are there and decent PC shmups ?

Neff

I'm not including Run'n'guns, because if I did, I'd have to put Contra III in the top spot, which is kind of dumb in a Shmup poll. Ditto 3D shooters 'cause Space Harrier owns everything.

So...

1. Gradius II

vcmmgradius2lg.jpg

2. XMultiply

kqqtm.jpg

3. Thundercross

thundercross5.jpg

4. R-Type

rtype.jpg

5. Axelay

axelaysupernintendosnes.jpg

Honourable mentions

#1 Radiant Silvergun

radiantscreen01.jpg

#2 Gaiares

gaiares2.jpg

Shinriji

RayCrisis - I love it and one of the most beautiful PS1 game.
Mushihimesama - Cave at it's finest. Third stage is one of the most memorable levels ever, together with R-type third stage.
R-Type Delta - The best R-type.
Sine Mora - Gorgeous game, and the first time that someone tried to make a clever and serious story around shmups.
Winds of Thunder / Lords of Thunder - Amazing soundtrack and fun mechanics.

HONORABLE MENTIONS

Life Force - Best shooter on the NES
Soldner X2 - Amazing and very beautiful game.

Wonko_C

Can't Live Without:

1) Life Force/Salamander (NES) - http://youtu.be/qvZ0oGwU968
This game blew my young mind back in the 80s, both graphically and challenge-wise. As a kid this game inspired me to "design" (draw in a sheet of paper) my own levels and play through them with a pencil... instead of paying attention to the class I was currently at. Very varied and ingenious level design was the bread and butter of the Gradius/Salamander series but this always felt special.

2) DoDonPachi DaiOuJou (PS2) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDIgz-VeBQ
The game that put Cave on my personal radar. For someone like me who prefers horizontal shooters and is not a big fan of danmakus, this game had practically zero chance. But it instantly won me over on presentation and music alone, even if I'll never be able to 1CC it. :p

4) Axelay (SNES) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiYFeVhcIlc
The continue screen in this game, with the planet being eclipsed in flames left a very lasting impression in me. This game wasn't afraid of saying "hey! look at my graphics! I'm a show-off!", while still playing great. Level 2 where you travel through a space colony, only to see the planet in the distance is one of those parts where you wished we could be that technologically advanced. Shame on you Konami for teasing us a sequel at the end of the game and never delivering on that promise.

3) Akai Katana (Xbox 360) - http://youtu.be/ExqPKNmky18
Building energy, gathering steel, then launching a bunch of gigantic katanas into huge battleships to obliterate them is one of the most satisfying mechanics I've ever had the pleasure of playing. This is the first Cave game I was able to 1CC (thank you, Novice Mode).

5) Gradius Gaiden (PSX) - http://youtu.be/5ZAYPPIgsQw
This feels more like a new Salamander (except it doesn't have any vertical stages, thankfully) than Gradius thanks to it being two player simultaneous and a certain boss. The music is fantastic and there are a few levels that aren't repeats of previous games, and even some of the classic levels have a few twists, like one of the stages that looks like stage 1 from the very first Gradius, only to have a black hole behind your ship sucking up all of it.

Honorable Mentions:

1) Cybernator/Assault Suits Valken (SNES) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQkeg6udUh0
Political intrigue, heavy mechs, an enemy leader who
shoots himself when he is cornered
(only in the Japanese version, though), two endings, mission fail states, awesome music, and huge pixelated explosions that cover 3/4 of the screen. The "Gundam" game that every real Gundam game wishes it was.

2) Darius Burst (PSP) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibIDfS3v3ZE
While I kinda played every Darius game I could, they never really clicked with me, until this one. Standard fishy Darius fare but the music with the eerie female singing voice (something that Darius Gaiden tinkered with previously) is what will make you say "hey, it's Darius!" every time you listen to it from now on. I wish I could play the arcade version in it's 4-player, 2 widescreens glory at least once.

shaowebb

MY TOP 5

1. Crimzon Clover-(PC)

Want a continue? Extra Life? How about the ability to play a stage or boss in practice? EARN IT. In this game your points go towards a shop where you unlock and purchase everything from ships to stages to practice. Featuring a combo mechanic and a break meter that fills as you get kills and fills faster the longer you charge your homing attack for said kills. Break mode and double break mode create ENORMOUS gold and as per the usual enemy bullets on screen when they die also become gold. One of the best games ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJfWvIxAajw
  2. Akai Katana-(360)

Amazing game involving not one but 2 modes so different from each other in scoring mechanics that they are completely different when played. Flip from ship mode to phantom mode. Some modes make gold circle you and grow in value and other modes knock away bullets, some shots leave you vulnerable and some dont and your satellite helps build meter the closer it is to an enemy, but each pilots satellite moves differently in relation to their controls. Its one of the most technical games, but once you read t he booklet and go in it is one of the most lucrative systems ever for making gold. Incredible visuals and its by CAVE. Go get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bm3UR8abQYQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOr8syRvU8M

3. Castle Shikigami 2-(PS2)

Tension system where getting close to bullets increases your shot power and coin collecting as you fly is a thing. Pretty large roster, a hidden character to play, and surprisingly a LOT of story! Character dialogue before a level, before a boss, after a boss and in co-op different dialogue depending on the pair being used. An amazingly well paced game with great stages and one of the best soundtracks ever. The english version sports one of the worst translations ever, but since its fully voiced you are rewarded with some of the greatest engrish hilarity ever seen so its an accidental win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWF53s09JMg#t=02m52s
  4. Espgaluda 2-(360/iOS)

Just...just oh god. Just get it. The music, the visuals, its cave, the bullets all turning into gold...SO MUCH GOLD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec9gJNyBAKQ

5. Bangai O Spirits-(DS)

One of the most insanely addictive and customizable shmup experiences ever. Combine two kind so of attack types to get new properties on combined shots. Fly around in an enclosed arena in a series of different challenges (167 stages!) and face off against so many bullets that its dizzying. Unleash barrages of missiles so enormous they dwarf you as they scatter in all directions. Square off in mech combat while dodging all this. All the while hoping not to die and hear the laugh of shame. Game is insane and challenging. Tons to do, and a ton of ways to tackle it. Treasure! They are amazing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixMLn4AL9J8

HONORABLE MENTIONS

1. Trouble Witches Neo- (XBLA)

Great side scrolling voiced shmup where you face bullethell waves and trap them in glyphs the more you trap the more gold you get upon killing enemies! Great new bulletherding mechanic and highly addictive. Colorful cute em up and home of the legendarily mocked audio "Wwwwelcome to the PPPPPumpking Girl's Shop." BTW molest her pumpkin too much and her sister will throw you out the shop XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-dLfS-JHs
  2. eXceed trilogy Jade Penetrate Black Package-(PC/Steam!)

Part of the eXceed Trilogy of games on steam and the best in the bunch IMO. LEGENDARY music, great patterns, story, and just overall fun. Seriously though the soundtrack is done by a metal LEGEND in japan. Listen to "Intersect Thunderbolt" and be amazed. You hear that the ENTIRE last boss fight and its a long boss with tons of forms. Yeah...game is fucking awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euRTmL56mx8
  3. Eden's Aegis-(PC) Similar to Espgaluda and what got me into bullethell. Addictive bullet cancelling mechanics, great audio and just overall a thrill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kuh02GHXC4c
  4. Raiden Fighters Jet-(360)

Best thing about the Raiden Fighter Aces collection on 360 was jet. Good amount of ships, great music, great patterns, great pacing and just overall such a well balanced experience. If you like core shmups this is about as pure as it gets. No gimmicks, just collect the power up and shmup. Great game and one of the most known in the business.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIFtvMpz9Ek

Himself

1) Ikaruga - One of the biggest things I look for in a shmup is an elusive quality I call rhythm. The organization of enemies, the pace at which you destroy shit, where the slight pauses are between waves. For me, Ikaruga has the best rhythm of the shmups and is more or less the game that caused me to fall in love with the genre.

2) Mushihimesama Futari Black Label 1.5- I believe it's the arrange mode where the final level or two just becomes the most glorious orgy of color I've ever experienced in a game. Glorious. Orgy.

3) Sin & Punishment: Star Successor - Does this one count? If so, it's my number three. Just an incredibly imaginative, challenging, and fun experience.

4) Super Stardust HD - A black hole for time. I love it.

5) Under Defeat HD - I haven't really gotten too deep into this one yet, but it already plays quite unlike any other shmup I've played and looks gorgeous to boot (dat smoke!).

Honorable Mentions

1) Deathsmiles - The only shmup I've ever successfully 1cc'd. This should probably really be in my top 5, but I wanted to create a well-rounded top 5.

2) Akai Katana - Fuck it. I had Gradius here, but really, I love the shit out of AK and can't not include it.

3) Bangai-O - For Dreamcast. Hilarious and fun to play.

4) Einhander - Would love an HD remake.

5) Sine Mora - Deal with it. The art, music, and character designs were good enough for me to enjoy the game.

Himself

Would it be unreasonable to expand the list to 10? I mean, this is hard...

I feel like with the relatively small amount of people who will be voting here it may lead to a slightly more inclusive/encompassing list. More variety perhaps, and less pressure to pick just 5 games from such a varied genre.

Would it be unreasonable to expand the list to 10? I mean, this is hard...

I feel like with the relatively small amount of people who will be voting here it may lead to a slightly more inclusive/encompassing list. More variety perhaps, and less pressure to pick just 5 games from such a varied genre.

Same here. I don't think I can name just 5... If we can expand it to 10 it'll be neat as I already have a list prepared for situations like this, heh.

cuilan

1. Deathsmiles

Looks great and plays well. Gives the player some freedom with regards to the order in which to clear stages, increasing the replay value. Also allows the player to change the difficulty of each stage individually, allowing the player to improve their skills very gradually and find just the right level of challenge. The 360 port is loaded with extra game modes, has online co-op, and improved graphics.

2. Mushihime-sama Futari Black Label

An overall improvement over the previous versions in terms of gameplay. The scoring system is fairly user-friendly yet still encourages the player to take risks. 3 separate game modes to choose from, each offering a different experience. Graphics are nice and colorful. Picking up 1.5 along with BL on 360 gives you a considerable number of modes to play and gives you better graphics.

3. Trouble Witches Neo

A shooter that's very easy to get into and fairly easy to clear. Its low difficulty encourages players to focus more on scoring than survival, and the scoring system itself is fairly easy to grasp yet difficult to truly master. Is loaded with content in the form of various game modes and difficulties, and has elaborate story modes for each character. Speaking of characters, this game has a lot of them, and each looks and plays quite differently. Variety is further enhanced thanks to the shop system (essential for scoring). It also features online co-op. Characters are cute, graphics are nice, and music is catchy. But do yourself a favor, as soon as you run the game go into the options menu and switch the voices to Japanese.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC_MMafA__o

4. Deathsmiles 2X

Graphics are a little on the plain side (yet still very colorful), but that won't really matter once you start to play, since the screen will be covered in bullets and bonus items most of the time. Gameplay-wise, it offers most of the best features from the original, but improves the scoring system by making it much more intuitive. Difficulty has been mostly reduced to encourage score play. Has 3 modes to choose from and a minigame as well. Also has online co-op.

5. Raiden Fighters Jet

My favorite of the Raiden games. A large number of ships to choose from, and the order of the stages changes according to the player's skill level. Has a fun scoring system that encourages players to destroy the larger enemies/chunks of bosses as quickly as possible and as many at once as possible. Lets the player activate hyper medal mode by the end of the first level. Provides a great mix of classic and contemporary elements, doesn't feel like an overwhelming bullet-hell yet doesn't feel slow and archaic.

Honorable Mentions:

1. Senko no Ronde DUO

My favorite 1-on-1 VS game. Incorporates a mix of elements from various genres: bullet-hell shooters, 2D versus fighters, and Virtual On. The 360 port features online play and a very elaborate, visual-novel-esque story mode. Also features an arcade mode and a score attack mode. Even though I love it, it's not really a game for everyone. The prequel is available in North America and Europe, it's not the best localization and isn't as beginner-friendly nor as nice looking as DUO (nor as feature-rich), but it should serve as a good introduction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymExVnj2A6Y

2. Blazing Star

Another shooter from the era of not-quite-oldschool-not-quite-bullethell. Fairly easy to get into and not overwhelming. Offers a handful of ships to choose from, has very good music, nice graphics, and a lot of unintended humor. Scoring is a bit broken, but it's still fun to play for survival.

GeekyDad

1) Deathsmiles - The only shmup I've ever successfully 1cc'd. This should probably really be in my top 5, but I wanted to create a well-rounded top 5.

Hey, at least it got a mention. One of my personal favorites. Bullet-hell-Castlevania-loli soup. Love it.

1) G-Darius
ADefenderK4.gif

The closest representation to the ideal boss fight: Weighted introduction, dramatic buildup, healthy diversity of bullet patterns, satisfying soundtrack, doesn't overstay its welcome, dramatic finish, flashy explosion. Nailed it.

2) The Guardian Legend
rgrim.gif

TGL mode is a healthy mix of chaos, choices, and nostalgia. If that doesn't work, it's paired with a full tile adventure game.

3) Gradius V
merigradiuspal_748226162.jpg

The standard of presentation; bangin' soundtrack paired with gorgeous visuals. The mechanics have a healthy balance of player power vs. limitless destroyable obstacles.

4) Mushihimesama Futari (Black Label)
MushiF3603.jpg

The hardest and fairest challenge matched with the proper rules to complex scoring systems.

5) Geometry Wars 2
geowars.jpg

The best use of an online leaderboard system. The best conduit to scorechasing ever made. Every high-skill score game should steal this system; every singe one.

Top Bottom