• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Voting Phase]

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Just for the sake of comparison and possibly to jog the memories or votes of people who haven't posted yet, here is the shmups.org 2012 thread for best shooters of all time.

Top 25
01. Battle Garegga (AC/SAT)
02. Mushihimesama Futari / 1.5 / Black Label (AC/360)
03. Ketsui ~Kizuna Jigoku Tachi~ (AC/360)
04. DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou / Black Label (AC/360/etc.)
05. Armed Police Batrider (AC)
06. DoDonPachi (AC/SAT/PSX)
07. Batsugun / Batsugun Special (AC/SAT)
08. Raiden Fighters Jet (AC/360)
09. ESPGaluda (AC/PS2)
10. Mars Matrix (DC/AC)
11. Mushihimesama (AC/PS2/360)
12. Gunbird 2 (AC/DC)
13. ESPGaluda II (AC/360)
14. Radiant Silvergun (AC/SAT/360)
15. Dragon Blaze (AC/PS2)
16. Strikers 1945 II (AC/SAT/PSX/PS2)
17. R-Type (AC/PCE//PSX/etc.)
18. Ikaruga (ARC/DC/GC/360)
19. Giga Wing (AC/DC)
20. Battle Bakraid (AC)
21. Soukyugurentai / Terra Diver (SAT/AC/PSX)
22. Ibara (AC/PS2)
23. DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu/1.5/Resurrection (AC/etc.)
24. Muchi Muchi Pork! (AC/360)
25. Gradius Gaiden (PSX)

Honourable Mention
Akai Katana / Shin (360/AC)
Blazing Star (AC/NG)
Cho Ren Sha 68K (PC/X68)
Crimzon Clover (PC)
Cyvern: The Dragon Weapons (AC)
Dangun Feveron (AC)
Darius Gaiden (AC/SAT/PS2/etc.)
Deathsmiles / Mega Black Label (AC/360)
Dimahoo / Great Mahou Daisakusen (AC)
DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu Black Label (AC/360)
DonPachi (AC/SAT/PSX)
Einhänder (PSX)
Eschatos (360)
ESP Ra.De. (AC)
Fire Shark / Same! Same! Same! (AC/GEN)
G-Darius (AC/PS2/PSX)
Gradius II: Gofer no Yabou (AC/SAT/FC/etc.)
Gradius V (PS2)
Guwange (AC/360)
Hellsinker (PC)
Imperishable Night [Touhou 8] (PC)
Perfect Cherry Blossom [Touhou 7] (PC)
Pink Sweets ~Ibara Sorekara~ / Arrange (AC/360)
Progear no Arashi (AC)
R-Type Delta (PSX)
Raiden DX (AC/PSX)
Raiden Fighters 2: Operation Hell Dive (AC/360)
RayForce/Layer Section/Galactic Attack/Gunlock (AC/etc.)
Recca [Summer Carnival '92] (FC)
Strikers 1999 / Strikers 1945 III (AC)
Thunder Force III (GEN/MD/SAT)
Thunder Force IV / Lightening Force (MD/GEN/SAT)
Twin Cobra / Kyukyoku Tiger (AC/PCE/etc.)
Undefined Fantastic Object [Touhou 12] (PC)
Under Defeat (DC/AC)

I'm suspecting that I may prefer that list to the results which will come here.

I never bit the bullet (haw) on the 360 version but I've been meaning to play this and am looking forward to the US release. Is there any reason to go for the 360 version over PS3?

The PS3 version has two problems: 1. without the pre-order DLC, you couldn't platinum the game, but the US version has all DLC installed from the jump so this is no issue and 2. stability problems. Even after the last patch, my game very rarely crashed in some of the really score item-heavy mini-missions. Never had a crash in Arcade Mode though. One other minor gripe is that the 360 leaderboard system is better than the PS3's, but neither version has replays so it's not a huge deal.

However the benefits of the PS3 version really put it over the top IMO. The 16:9 mission mode is a ton of fun and worth the price of admission alone, and the 360 version has agonizing load times that really grate on you. All in all, PS3 version is definitely the "complete version" and the one you should buy.

Think I might do an OP for this game when it drops...

cj_iwakura

I've never been much for Cave or Treasure shmups, but I respect them.

Compile and MaSaYa stuff is more my speed.

AlfaSys games are guilty pleasure, Zun's too.

In no particular order:

R-Type (Almost all platforms)

Power Strike II (Master System 2)

Zero Wing (Arcade, Pc-Engine, Megadrive)

Progear No Arashi (Arcade)

Espgaluda (Arcade, Ps2)

And now, the honorable mentions:

Soldner X Himmelssturmer (Pc, Ps3)

Soldner X2 Final Prototype (Ps3)

Touhou: Imperishable night (Pc)

Ikaruga (Arcade, Gamecube, Dreamcast, XBLA, Android)

Darius Burst (Arcade, Psp, ios, Android)

Superstardust Delta (Vita)
Hydorah (Pc)

And i really should stop here, because there are so many more worth checking across several platforms that is not even funny.

8bit

Knows the Score
Oooh,

R-Type Final (PS2) - Atmosphere in spades, lots of ships to unlock.

Bangai-O (DC) - Hey, I can still... Eye bleeding insanity but so fun.

Rez (DC) - Soundtrack, but a special mention for Trancemission.

Salamander (ARC) - Probably the first one I spent significant time on, the vertical change blew me away on the first viewing.

Gradius V (PS2) - A love letter to a game genre I see too little of these days.

Honourable Mention

Sexy Parodius (ARC) - Kind of rubbish in retrospect, but I enjoyed it a great deal.

This thread reinforces my impression of how wonderful the world of shmup collecting is. But its so expensive.

Here's my list (in no order).

1. DoDonPachi Dai-Ou-Jou / Black Label (AC/360/etc.)
582447_22724_front.jpg

ddonpach_c.png
Debatably the best iteration of my most beloved shmup series. It has super polished controls and gameplay, and immaculate spritework. Just an extremely well made game all around. It is perhaps Cave's most well known series for a reason.

2. Mushihimesama Futari / 1.5 / Black Label (AC/360)
I have yet to play a more visually impressive shmup. Mushihimesama is an absolute beauty. It is perhaps Cave's most colorful shmup. I also think that it has some of their best level and enemy/boss designs, where instead of shooting robots and machines, you shoot highly detailed giant insects and critters. Very unique and interesting. Also, SO MANY BULLETS!

3. Crimson Clover (AC/PC)
Its astonishing that this game is independantly made. It is a Dodonpachi inspired doujin by Yotsubane, yet it rivals the works of Cave themselves. Like Dodonpachi and Mushihimesama, it is mechanical and visual marvel. "Break Mode" makes this game almost too visually intense.

4. Darius Gaiden (AC/Saturn/PS1, etc.)
This game is an absolute monster. There are 28 different stages to be explored, each with their own bosses. It is called Darius "Gaiden" because you make your own path through out the stages. Fantastic gameplay and art style, though it is hard as nails! My favorite hori shmup.

That's all for now, there still are many, many shmups I have yet to play.

1: Gokujō Parodius! ~Kako no Eikō o Motomete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOKL08nyIiQ
This would have to be in a tie with another game on my list as my all time favourite SHMUP. Parodius on the SNES was the first SHMUP I remember playing back in the day and I loved the hell out of it. I had no idea it was a spin off of another series of games, I just thought it was an awesome game featuring Cats and Penguins and Octopuses and Showgirls in Space shooting at stuff with crazy mental music going on in the background. It wasn't until years later I found out that the game was kind of a parody on the whole genre. Now I had heard of a follow up game to Parodius on the SNES, saw screenshots of it but it wasn't until many many years later I got a chance to play it and it was everything that made the first one great and then more. It has the classic tried and true Graidus power up system and several different ships/characters to control. Ranging from an Octopus, to Showgirls on a Rocket to Stick Figures flying on a Paper Airplane to even Kid Dracula. Its just a fun game to play and one I'll do so over and over again.

2: Space Invaders Extreme 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr3CFQyq9p0
Tied with Gokujō Parodius as my favorite SHUMP ever. The first Space Invaders Extreme game on DS came out just as I was getting back into the genre. I loved it and thought it was a near flawless game, and it still is. The sequel however just takes everything that made the first amazing and turns it up to 11. The music is even more catchier and insane. The gameplay is more hetic, the rounds are now activated on the top screen instead of taking you to a different screen and out of the current action. Fever mode is just as amazing and then the brilliant Bingo system which just ties it all together and has a great risk and reward element to it in trying to get a Full House Fever activated adds a level of stratergy to your kills and is just soo rewarding to pull off. A must have DS game for all handheld SHUMP fans and one I really hope we see a follow up to one day in the future (can you imagine how amazing a Space Invaders Extreme on the 3DS would look, my eyes would melt).

3: Ikaruga
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j94vB5hf28w
Game needs no introduction, everyone who is a fan of SHMUPs knows of it and I think you would be hard pressed to find someone who hates it. The great polarity mechanic, the constant switching between light and dark, such an ingenious idea and very well excuted. I won't go on too long about why this game is great, I'm pretty sure everyone else will gush about, a must play for everyone.

4: Geometry Wars 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP6TK2xFWZs
I was torn between having Geo Wars 2 or Geo Wars Galaxies on my list, I loved both, each offers something different to the other. Galaxies has Galaxies mode in it which just ups the length of the game as you have a goal to work towards, plus it is on both the Wii & DS which are both great versions. However Geo Wars 2 inches it out just due to the fact that it has Pacifism in it. That said Pacifism goes againt what this whole list is about, great Shoot Em Ups and there is no shooting in Pacifism but it is just an amazing idea and adds hours and hours of play. I think this would have to be my most played game on the 360 and its a real shame we most likely won't be seeing anything new in the series.

5: Bangai O Spirits
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2_fsnZdAg
Part Puzzle game, part SHMUP all awesome, one of the greats on the DS. Its a very hard game to describe to people but I'll try as best I can. You control a Robot who can fly around shooting various weapons or wielding a giant sword or a Baseball Bat. Each stage will offer its own unique challenge and part of the fun is figuring out which weapon combo works best. Some stages will be over in just a few seconds while others will take several minutes, its a great mix of puzzle solving fun and missile firing bullet dodging base ball bat wielding Giant Ant destroying action

Honourable Mentions

Jets 'N' Guns
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxZ5WSUju04
An ok SHMUP that introduced me to the awesomeness that is Machine Supremecy, well worth a look in, been awhile since I played it but I remember it being all kinds of awesome with a great money system for buying upgrades for you ship.

Galaga Legions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGRvbBT6r2A
Similar in style to the Pac-Man CE and Space Invaders Extreme games its a modern day take on the classic Galaga style gameplay. I played the hell out of this on the 3DS Pac-Man & Galaga Dimensions pack, really would love if I could buy it stand alone and always have it on the system. I've heard the follow up DX is much better though, not had a chance to play that yet.

japtor

Might be easier than you think
Yeah just look at the list dog$ posted, I'm kind of surprised it made it into the top 25 over there (and RS was higher? That's actually more surprising to me). I'm guessing Ikaruga will end up pretty high here.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Ikaruga's clearly got the lock for #1 here. The question is what comes after.

Looks like Mushi Futari is strong. Beyond that, I can't tell at a glance.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Some folks just don't like the chaining. That, and really, the color platette is pretty bland...
Breaking convention isn't inherently a bad thing, but I like this genre's conventions. I find Ikaruga to be a chore to play.

I can't even begin to vote on this yet... so much thinking to do beforehand.

However, I'll say this: We need serious votes for DeathSmiles 2.

I bought a Japanese 360 just for it... and then it released in the US the following year.

#noregrets

GeekyDad

I can't even begin to vote on this yet... so much thinking to do beforehand.

However, I'll say this: We need serious votes for DeathSmiles 2.

I bought a Japanese 360 just for it... and then it released in the US the following year.

#noregrets

Yeah, I imagine not.

/Cave Shooting Collection

dog$

Hates quality gaming
One week remains for voting.

You've all played five shooters in your life.

Galaga. Defender. Asteroids. Space Invaders. 1943. Life Force. Everything else listed in this thread. Many others which haven't (such as Psyvariar, for instance).

Let's hear what you like.

cj_iwakura

One week remains for voting.

You've all played five shooters in your life.

Galaga. Defender. Asteroids. Space Invaders. 1943. Life Force. Everything else listed in this thread. Many others which haven't (such as Psyvariar, for instance).

Let's hear what you like.

On the other hand, it's entirely possible that a lot of people haven't played five rhythm games in their life.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
On the other hand, it's entirely possible that a lot of people haven't played five rhythm games in their life.
Probably so.

Based on that thread and other posts, I think the common full trajectory is:

Nothing -> Parappa -> Frequency/Amplitude -> Guitar Hero -> Rock Band -> This is all the same shit, fuck this.
Steps 2 and 3 are optional.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Let's hear it for all of the awesome new shooters that were shown at E3!

Four days remain for you to cast a vote.

Yes Boss!

Well this one got announced from 17-bit. But Skulls of the Shogun looked dreadful so I'm not expecting much (guessing twin-stick):

http://galak-z.com/

And, really? Ikaruga tracking at no. 1. You guys have let GAF down. Was hoping R-Type would pull through.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
And, really? Ikaruga tracking at no. 1. You guys have let GAF down. Was hoping R-Type would pull through.
Surprised? It's the Citizen Kane of shmups!

because everyone likes it but doesn't know why

I like Citizen Kane

luka

Loves Robotech S1

because all shumps are the same and ikaruga is INNOVATIVE and REVOLUTIONARY! how many shooters reward the player for getting hit
besides battle garegga
? brilliant! all hail treasure!

the moment this thread went up i had already accepted that silvergun and ikaruga would take the top spot. I'm personally just going to pretend 3rd place is the start of the list.

Yes Boss!

Surprised? It's the Citizen Kane of shmups!

I like Citizen Kane

I don't think that is an apt comparison. Even though that movie is nowhere near the best ever made it is certainly essential, at the very least for Gregg Toland.

I'd say Ikaruga is more like the Dark Knight. Just a ton of exposure and cited as the best movie ever made by folks with no sense of history going back more than a few years.

Not a huge fan of Ikaruga. Nope.

It's not.

Unless you're being literal and you just think it's ugly, in which case... yeah, kinda.

Yeah, ugly. Never played it so I'm sure it is great as an Advance Wars type of game. But that type of flash and off-the-shelf animation is a big stumbling block, for me.

because all shumps are the same and ikaruga is INNOVATIVE and REVOLUTIONARY! how many shooters reward the player for getting hit
besides battle garegga
? brilliant! all hail treasure!

the moment this thread went up i had already accepted that silvergun and ikaruga would take the top spot. I'm personally just going to pretend 3rd place is the start of the list.

I'd guess that Gradius V is in second at the moment...

Risette

A Good Citizen
1. Ketsui
2. Muchi Muchi Pork
3. Battle Garegga
4. Raiden Fighters Jet
5. Strikers 1999

If you want an explanation, play them.

Cyrano

Cho Ren Sha X68000 should be at the top of everyone's lists. It's the most fundamentally sound shmup I've ever played. It's hard, fair, not overly aggressive, not an eyegasm, and beautiful. It is everything a shoot-em-up wants to be, with none of the excesses of modern shoot-em-ups.

Like, I like Pink Sweets and Espgaluda II and Crimzon Clover and Diadra Empty, but they're all plagued by visual diarrhea. I mean, they're cool at first, but playing them and getting to know them intimately, they're just too much for me visually. I think Guwange was the last shoot-em-up I really enjoyed until X68k, but it still felt visually overbearing, even if it was visually consistent.

There are a TON of shoot-em-ups, most of them are bad, not really from a difficulty standpoint, but from an audial/visual standpoint. Most visual/audio design in these games is unconscionably terrible.

Yes Boss!

Ikaruga is an exceptionally easy shooter if you're willing to not care about score.

I dunno, man,

That game messes with my head. It is very tough just to play it!

And lets be honest Ikaruga is an insanely awesome game. I'd love to have it on a Noami and running on a cab. I still need to actually track down the DC port as I've been playing it on XBLA here and there.

I was mainly just sad that this is an essential shmups vote and it would be number 1. I don't think it accurately represents that genre as it is more a mash-up. There are at least a half dozen games that should be above it.

IrishNinja

to each their own, but seeing Axelay on here so much is way weirder than Ikaruga

also recently picked up Akai Katana on the cheap, pretty fun! ill revisit more when i finish with deathsmiles

japtor

I dunno, man,

That game messes with my head. It is very tough just to play it!

And lets be honest Ikaruga is an insanely awesome game. I'd love to have it on a Noami and running on a cab. I still need to actually track down the DC port as I've been playing it on XBLA here and there.

I was mainly just sad that this is an essential shmups vote and it would be number 1. I don't think it accurately represents that genre as it is more a mash-up. There are at least a half dozen games that should be above it.
Hey guess what else I got!

onuEFKe.jpg

...just kidding, that's also through the 360. I did order a DC SCART cable the other day, not sure if it'll actually work though (plus I forgot PS-DC control adapters). Mainly just want to try out Cannon Spike and Zero Gunner 2 again.

Anyway I suck at Ikaruga now, and even when I was "good" (for me) I never did 1CC it (got within 3 agonizing seconds left though).

1. Mushhimesama Futari

The bullet patterns in this game are probably my favorite of all shmups.
The controls are perfect and the music is great, especially in stage five.

2. Dodonpachi Daioujou

Just a classic game. Bullet patterns in this are very fun to doge.
Better than the original Dodonpachi in every way.

3. Mushihimesama

Almost as good as Futari. Great game.

4. Espgaluda

Not the most popular Cave game but I really enjoy it. Like it better than the sequel.

5. Ketsui

This game will just murder you if you don´t pay attention.

Yes Boss!

I think I my hatred of Mode 7 is preventing me from fully appreciating Axelay.

Mode 7 is awesome! Axelay is still shit to this day. It is really, really bad. Well, maybe the side missions are all right.

onuEFKe.jpg

...just kidding, that's also through the 360. I did order a DC SCART cable the other day, not sure if it'll actually work though (plus I forgot PS-DC control adapters). Mainly just want to try out Cannon Spike and Zero Gunner 2 again.

Anyway I suck at Ikaruga now, and even when I was "good" (for me) I never did 1CC it (got within 3 agonizing seconds left though).

That is cool! I was under the impression the 360 port is 16:9 and did not play happy with 4:3.

EDIT: Mind Blown! I though it was like Silvergun and 4:3 unfriendly! It looks gorgeous and the scaling options are exquisite! Absolutely no need for the DC port now.

Risette

A Good Citizen

onuEFKe.jpg

Do you have a 31khz->15khz downscaler for your 360?

When will this poll end? I've been wanting to really get knee deep into this genre. This list would be a great guide to where I need to start.

Whoops, time over. Scrapping the descriptions I was doing for the sake of actually getting this finished.

TOP 5

1. Darius Gaiden
Visionnerz

2. Thunder Force IV
Evil Destroyer

3. Touhou 11: Subterranean Animism
Satori Maiden ~ 3rd Eye

4. Hitogata Happa
Phantastique Summer Tea Party

5. Senko no Ronde
Assemble

HONOURABLE MENTIONS

1. Deathsmiles
Hades Castle

2. TwinBee Yahho!
Twin Flight

I deliberately haven't considered the sublime Sin & Punishment 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta and Star Fox 64 for my list. Not because I disagree that they qualify as shmups for the purposes of this thread, but because by putting up this fairly arbitrary boundary it's made my decisions so much easier.

Top Bottom