• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF's Essential Shmups - 2013 Edition [Voting Phase]

Yes Boss!

1) R-Type (ARC/PC Engine/360 as Dimensions)

In my eyes there is just not a more important game to play in the genre than R-Type. the music is perfect, it introduces a very cool weapons system with different kind of options. Has the one-button two types of shot technique. Sprite work is exquisite. Bydo Empire is, hands down, the best enemy to shoot against. And it is tough. Some might see the memorization as a negative but that is what shmups began as and even the more modern ones where you guide your bullets still require deep pattern memorization and manipulation. R-Type is my true desert island shmup.

2) Gradius III (Super Fami/SNES)

Not really a well-liked title (I'm assuming because of the slow-down). In my eyes it is the quintessential Gradius. It brings everything together from the previous two and presents it perfectly on a home console. The weapon edit mode is Godly. As is the music pumped out of the SNES. Grasius Gaiden is the only Gradius game that nears IIIs perfection.

3) Mushihimesama (ARC/360)

Not my very favorite Cave game...that honor goes to Mushi's sequel, Futari... but Mushi is the most essential Cave game to play. It is a perfect mix of art, music, complex shooting methods. But ultimately why it stands out is the amazing audio feedback and sound effects and how the whole game is designed. Plus, it has a the best character in any shmup. If I could only have one Cave game this would be it.

4) Raiden Fighters Aces (ARC/360)

Just the very first one. Raiden Fighters 2 and Jet are not as essential. I think it is the best military style shooter. Again, the music is exquisite and driving. Bosses are some of the most insane. And it has a perfect delineation between playing for survival or score. Medal system is top-notch.

5) Dodonpachi: Maximum Bullet Simulation (iOS)

The most essential handheld shooter ever made. Developed from the ground up for touch interface. Honestly, if you are a shmup fan and have the wherewithal to play this game and you are not, then you are doing it wrong. It is a perfect example and proof that shmup titles don't have to be limited to arcade or pad controls. It is also a very nice primer to the Cave catalog but functions very different from anything else that company has created. I can (maybe) ignore that fact that some folks don't want the genre on their touch device, but for folks who discount Dodonpachi: MBS, I just can not take seriously.

Honorable Mention) Battle Garegga (ARC/Saturn)

For the Rank structure, graphic explosion and sprite design, music)

gondwana

1) Zanac
xZzoQkT.png
zanac.

2) PARSEC47
dangun feveron inspired shooter from kenta cho. plays down the hideous disco penis stuff and ups the randomization. hilariously (and unfairly) lopsided at times but always mesmerizing. probably my personal favorite.

3) Fantasy Zone
i declare fantasy zone the super mario, the pac-man and the tetris of this genre! charming visuals and coherent design throughout make this an absolute gem. can we all agree that any shooter recommendations to new players without a fantasy zone is null and void? i'm listing the original here, though the remake of the sequel on the sega ages pack is probably the better game game.

4) Panzer Dragoon
unfortunately, the original panzer dragoon seems to get overlooked for reasons i don't understand. i find the original much more challenging and satisfying than zwei. i wrote off orta because i prefer dead simple rail shooters to stuff like s&p and the like. space harrier can definitely stand in here.

5) Every Extend

a remarkable pc douijin that manages to distill the essence of gaming--the momentary balance between patience and decisiveness--into a compact arrangement. q entertainment nobly tried to improve the formula with psp's every extend extra. while eee arcade mode is good in its own right, i prefer the original's mechanics.

Tain

I have no fuckin' clue, lol. There are too many. I'm confident with choices 1 and 2. I've played a lot of STGs, but I'm not comfortable voting for games that I haven't gotten very far in, which hampers choice number 3. All STGs, no Contra or Space Harrier or whatever.

1) Ketsui

1iwaii.png

This is my ideal Cave game. The enemy designs are awesome. The patterns are fast and nasty, matched only by Daioujou's, and they're perfectly placed. The environments are bleak and gritty. The music is straight-up evil. The scoring system, should you want to mess with it, is easy to understand, hella risky, and visually and aurally satisfying.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvry6N1nORU

2) Muchi Muchi Pork

muchi_muchi_pork6nppw.png

This game is so good. It's not as ridiculously cryptic as Yagawa's other games, and it doesn't really demand rank control in the first loop (at least, not in 1.01), but it keeps the course selection and some of the vehicle variety. The scoring system is in a great place: you're in your best interests to keep it in mind when playing for survival due to the extend structure, but unlike, say, Radiant Silvergun, you can take it however seriously you want it. Put a little bit of attention into it and get an extra life or two, put a ton of attention in and get serious extends to get you further. The B-button laser and meter are awesomely thought-out, giving you a bunch of genuinely useful options like doing more damage, locking on, grabbing medals automatically, getting special piggie payloads from certain terrain objects, getting bomb juice from all the tanks, or even piercing through things when out of ammo. And the situations where you grab medals manually are as awesome as they have always been. All wrapped in some seriously charming visuals and music (even if you hate the character design).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTb0FEaqsv4

3. R-Type

r-typecqbzs.png

R-Type’s stages crawl along slowly, but it actually works in the game’s favor. The high-resolution backgrounds are gross and awesome, doing the horror thing in a way that few action games can. Thankfully, the enemies move at a quicker pace, constantly using unique ways of restricting players that don’t make intelligent use of the game’s awesome Force pod system. It was the Force pod that made R-Type stand out, mechanically, working almost like a Gradius option but with more manual control and less simple firepower positioning. The weapon variety was also great, with each weapon proving to have its uses. The stages constantly introduce new enemies and often make the terrain a serious danger. An incredible shooting game on all fronts.

The problem with this vote: I haven't played enough R-Type II, R-Type III, or R-Type Delta. It's very likely that Delta is the best in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2gNq11ept4

I'm not a big fan of bullet hells and tend to prefer more classic, retro shoot'em ups :

1) Gradius V - my favorite shoot'em up ever, a throwback to more classics shoot'em up refined in an intense and spectaculer game.
CNbMORr.jpg

2) Bangai-oh - a shoot'em up with puzzle elements where you pilot a giant robot ?!? Treasure makes fun of the shmup genre here, and the game was really great fun to play. Bonus points for the gratuitous missile massacre.
f5wEZAi.jpg

3) Blazing Star - side-scroller shoot'em up. Very clasic in its gameplay but the sprites were beautiful and overall the game was really enjoyable to play. The most fun I had with a shmup on NG.
MXPmiav.jpg

4) Thunder Force IV - Thunder Force III follow close behind (and I still have an unopened copy of V ot play with sitting in a corner). When I played it I was surprised by how fast the action was.
TplUDzD.png

5) Super Aleste - Dat Sountrack : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMa5NfZQZZM
3fAFlFu.jpg

Honorable mentions :
1) KiKi KaiKai - top-down shooter with adorably cartoonish sprites inspired by japanese folklore.
ps0pPHF.png

2) R-Type Final - fantastic atmosphere, a slower, more thoughtful gameplay, and organic and bleak world, plenty of ships to play with : a splendid way to end the R-type final.
HeR365m.jpg

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Oh goodness, this is really asking a lot. I hate the idea of excluding some of these games, but I'll give it a shot..

1. Gradius Gaiden - Probably my favorite shooter of all time. It's basically Gradius perfected. Lots of ships, configuration options, a very balanced difficulty, wonderful music and stages with tons of neat gimmicks and throwbacks. It's got everything.

2. Thunder Force IV - Just an amazing game. Awesome weapon switching, awesome soundtrack, awesome stages that are several screens tall, awesome everything.

3. Twinkle Star Sprites - Take the competitive aspect of puyo puyo and wrap it in a shooting game. One of the most unique shooters in existence. The PS2 sequel was alright, but not a scratch on the frantic speed of the original.

4. Mars Matrix - Go play it.

5. Batsugun - The original danmaku, and still one of my favorites (also the only one I've managed to 1cc so far other than Espgaluda). At full power your ship turns into a fountain of neon pyrotechnics, spraying death over the entire screen. One of the most impressive displays of firepower in the genre.

Honorable Mentions

R-Type Delta - The pinnacle of the "memorizer." Incredibly tough, captivating hard sci-fi atmosphere with some genuinely disturbing levels and an incredible finale. The best R-Type.

Cotton 2 - One of my personal favorites. It's very slow and methodical, and plays almost like a puzzle game. Great backdrops and character design and some really creative bosses.

Gradius V - A great game that deserves mountains of praise and easily treasure's best shooter, but a few things place it below Gaiden for me in the Gradius hierarchy, namely it's ridiculous length.

Soukyugurentai - It's like Silvergun, except actually fun! Normally I dislike Raizing style ranking, but Souky at least allows you to still be effective while keeping it manageable.

There is Cotton, then other crap.
I like you!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1. Ikaruga - Easily the best "bullet hell" shooter with the concept of polarity. Watching high-level runs where people use the polarity to just absorb a bunch of shit and fire it back never gets old.
2. Radiant Silvergun
3. Contra
4. Super Stardust HD - Edges out Geo Wars simply because you can see most everything on the "board" in comparison to Geo War's zoomed in to where you can get caught off guard heavy-enemy situations.
5. Geo Wars 2 - For the pacifist mode this edges out Geo Wars 1 for me. Otherwise Geo Wars 1's endless is a bit better than it required more "work" to get higher-combos going than "destroy things and pick up the green dust. You get multi-millions, yay."

Left off run n' guns as others have, we all know that the likes of Contra and Turrican are great games anyway :)

1. Star Fox 64

images

Have a feeling i'll get some 'WTFs' for this one, but i don't see how it can be seen as anything else other than a 3D SHMUP. All the cinematic excellence and character dialogue may dress it up as something else - but everything from how the games levels are structured, power-ups and game play is something i can't label in any genre more than the shoot 'em up.
Favourite BGM - Area 6

2. Radiant Silvergun

radiant_screen009.jpg

Was very close between this and #3. This made second spot due to the larger amounts of levels and for 'being first' if nothing else. Though on another day i might put the next game ahead of it.
Favourite BGM - Penta

3. Ikaruga

ikaruga_2002_06_27_1.jpg

Subliminal game, the dark/white is one of my favourite mechanics in any game, period. Looks incredible and that soundtrack...!
Favourite BGM - Ideal

4. Axelay

images

I never beat this game as it was too hard for me as a kid, but i remember being wowed by the Mode 7! Looking back at it, some of the art and level design is amazing for its time.

5. Gradius V
Gradius_V_screen01.jpg

My favourite 'modern classic' shmup.

Honorable Mentions:

1. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
episode5shot1.jpg

2. Thunder Force IV

tf4-5.png

Mupod

In no particular order:

Blazing Star: Pay attention to backward! Beautiful 2D, varied ships offering different styles of play, and gameplay that's a bit like if R-Type had started to consider becoming bullet hell.

R-Type Final: I don't know if I could put up with its technical issues (loadtimes, framerate) nowadays but the game's atmosphere is like nothing else. Bazillions of ships and secrets to unlock give it plenty of life if you're not the type to just play these games for score and such.

Tyrian: Hardcore shmup fans hate it almost as much as I love it. The sprites were nice, the music was amazing, the gameplay was fun and relaxing if not terribly challenging. Hunting down those datacubes to get glimpses into its Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy-like crazy-ass universe, upgrading your ship with all kinds of batshit special weaponry, the DESTRUCT minigame, it was just a huge part of my PC gaming childhood.

Bangai-O (Dreamcast): Later games in the series adopted more of a puzzle game format, but this one was more on the action game side. And it's still great. Insane Treasure dialogue, countless on-screen explosions, and extremely unique gameplay.

Gunbird 2: Easily my favorite vertical shooter, bought it on a whim at a pawn shop and ended up being one of my most-played Dreamcast games. Great characters, TONS of funny endings (including endings for character pairs), and not frustratingly difficult. If nothing else play it for Morrigan's ending outfits, my god.

Is Shock Troopers 2 considered a shmup? I'd give it an honorable mention then in that case.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxU1XU6BEOo

It's sunset and you've descended onto a planet now desolate, devoid of life except a giant crustacean who has adopted a ruined skyscraper as his shell. This was a city once, now a desert. The ship you pilot was part of a secret resistance, a project scrapped near completion as mankind settled for a peace treaty with the alien invaders. Your weapons utilize their technology. All things considered, you've already lost - the factions you avenge are disbanded.

But this WAS your planet, and you've got three lives. So what the hell, right? Might as well make 'em feel it.

gunstarhero

Votes:

1. Battle Garegga (PCB)
21364935.jpg

Probably one of the most criticized shooters ever made due to it's rank system, and realistic bullet designs - but it's these 2 features that place it on the top of my list.

The rank system is what really sets this apart - you need to rethink HOW to play shooters, and that's really why I love it. It creates a more strategic gameplay approach, and adds a strange sense of tension when you have no choice but to hold down the fire button to clear the field, but also knowing you just made the game harder. Pure genius in my opinion.

The aesthetic in this game is fantastic - a great mix of military and steam punk. Everything is super detailed, explosions animate in a seemingly random fashion, ships break into pieces, etc.

And the bullets. Yes - those bullets are awesome and 100x better than the pink orbs we have to deal with in most shooters. They are suppose to be a little hard to see - because THEY'RE BULLETS.

The music is the only thing that keeps this shooter from being perfect imo. It's not bad by any stretch, but it's not in the same league as everything else in the game.

Essential because: Rank system forces you to learn that not all shooter play the same. Stop firing your gun stupid.

2. R-Type (PCB/Xbox360)
rtypek.jpg

The mood that this game invokes has never been matched in the genre - it's sort of the Resident Evil of shooters imo. The slow pace and H.G. Giger-esque designs give it a horror meets sci-fi vibe that I absolutely love.

Gameplay is amazing - bringing strategic elements like the charge shot and invincible orb allow you to plan ahead with your assaults on the Bydo, and are necessary to beat the game's awesome bosses.

It also has on of those most classic scenes in the genre - Stage 3 spans the length of a huge battleship. At the time, this was jaw-dropping as you took the ship down piece by piece. And it still holds up today.

Rtype is actually the first shooter I ever completed (Sega Master System version) and is one of the titles that will always be in my top 5 just because it's one of those pillars of gaming for me.

Lastly, this game's Stage 1 music is embedded in my brain forever.

Essential because: Still one of the most strategic and atmospheric shooters to date - and it's important to respect your elders

3. Mushihimesama Futari (X360)
futari.jpg

Futuari is responsible for rekindling my addiction to shooters.

My first Cave game, and the one that introduced me to "bullet hell". I bought this for the X360 after I realized my interest in shooters was at an all time low. The scene sort of dried up for me for quite some time, and the hype this game was getting grabbed my attention.

After dying 100 times, I realized I have to re-learn how to play shooters yet again. When I finally could get to Stage 3 without dying, I was hopelessly hooked. I was doing things in shooters that I've never thought I was capable of, and it also made me play shooters for score versus survival.

The graphics and music are amazing - and a welcome change from the dark, gritty worlds of most shooters. The worlds they crafted in this game are just unbelievable - and have are Cave's best imo.

Essential because: A great introduction to Cave bullet-hell type of shooters. And it's one of the most gorgeous game ever made... and that's coming from someone who is not comfortable using the word "gorgeous".

4. Dogyuun (PCB)
dogyuun.jpg

Toaplan's finest game - and probably least-known.

There is something about the look and feel of Toaplan games that I LOVE. Truxton, Truxton 2, Grind Stormer (V-V), Outzone , etc. all have a similar thing going on, but Dogyuun perfects the formula.

The level design is very varied - you have some typical, slow paced levels, a crazy fast medal collect-a-thon in level 3, and a level where you pilot a mech! The music is easily one of my all time favorite soundtracks in ANY game genre, and the graphics are amazing - super detailed "Toaplan-style graphics with some of best boss designs in their catalog.

It also sports a strange 2-player transformation-combo that is great fun in 2 player games. You can combine with the 2 player to form a super-strong ship, and makes it much easier to 1cc the game.

It's likely you never played this one before - since it got no home port of any kind. I'm not sure about MAME, but if you ever come across the PCB, grab it and thank me later. :)

Essential because: Toaplan shooters have a look and feel all their own - and Dogyuun is the pinnacle of the this... before they went all bat-shit cray cray with Batsugun (but that's great also).

5. Ginga Force (X360)
ginga.jpg

A new challenger!

I hesitate to put such a new game in my top 5 of all time, but this game deserves it.

The best thing it does is brings a huge RPG-esque equipment system to the genre. You can purchase an insane amount of upgrades and weapon types, crafting your ships design to match the unique levels. For example - Stage 2 features spotlights that set off alarms - making the game much harder. So instead of going through the trouble of dodging the spotlights, you can just purchase a jamming device that renders the alarm useless.

The number of weapons, shields and odd devices are staggering. Just be prepared to have the translation near by if you don't read Japanese.

Level design is another highlight - very varied and well thought out. It features on the my favorite level designs in a shooter ever: Stage 6 has you chasing a boss underground - the boss is equipped with a drill, and you need to stay on his tail throughout most of the level or you'll be buried in the rubble. Amazing stuff and has to be played to truly appreciated.

Only thing I didn't like was the constant chatter going on during gameplay - but you can shut it off in the options, so no real worries.

Essential because: Every level is a exercise in preparing your ship with the optimal equipment - and it teaches you to concentrate with high pitched Japanese being screamed in both of your ears.

Honorable mentions:

Honorable Mention: Akai Katana Shin (X360)
shint.jpg

Love the scoring system in this game - once you get the hang of it, it's amazingly satisfying.

Honorable Mention: Choplifter (SMS)
chope.jpg

An all time classic - rescuing hostages has never been more fun.

Honorable Mention: Thunderforce 3 (Gen)
14783098.jpg

Another staple of gaming for me - I was hopelessly addicted to this game when I was younger, and it still holds up today.

Honorable Mention: Super Fantasy Zone (MegaDrive)
33954889.jpg

One of the most fun shooters ever made - Opa Opa is your real god.

Honorable Mention: Omega Fighter (PCB)
omegap.jpg

Little know shooter from UPL - which is a shame. The whole game spans you fighting 1 gigantic mothership, taking it apart piece by piece.

I don't feel right listing run 'n gun or 3D shooters in a thread like this - they just aren't shooters.

That said - Long Live Space Harrier.

Damn, just 5 games plus two mentions... this will be hard...if i manage to make up my mind, i´ll post my choices tomorrow, but i agree with Himself and AlphaProspector, 10 or even 8 choices would be better

japtor

I was referring to pretty much any DDP game. I find that they have immaculate controls and art style, regardless of the scoring mechanics.
I was referring to the series too. DOJ in particular does nothing for me outside of hypers, the music and aesthetics turn me off, and even if they didn't, the levels and bullet patterns don't do much for me. They're totally solid but kind of boring compared to Ketsui personally. Haven't played DFK enough to judge it (other than the iOS version) and still waiting on SDOJ.
I feel you on this, as I'm not huge on either scoring system. However, the reason I think Ikaruga's scoring hurts the game so much is that it's completely unnatural and unenjoyable. You have to perfectly memorize stages, but in a way that's completely counterintuitive to how you would play the game otherwise. Dodonpachi, on the other hand, is all about using your rapid shot on small enemies and your stronger laser on bigger enemies, and taking them out quickly. For the most part, you're going to play Dodonpachi in a similar way whether you're chaining or just going for survival. Yeah, there are some things you'll do different. But if you compare the chains you'd get naturally in Dodonpachi versus those you'd get naturally in Ikaruga, it's a world of difference.
I think the key difference for me is just the tolerance. With Ikaruga you can skip a few enemies and resume a chain if you fuck up somewhere, with DDP you have a small window and if you screw up by killing an enemy too quickly or using the shot or laser inappropriately the chain is gone. That said SDOJ seems to have more tolerance about chain breaking or something so I'll be interested to see how that plays.
Yep.

And what the heck, name 10 if you like. The last five will only be counted as honorables though.
So 5 main + 5 honorables I guess. I'll edit my first post to fill in the honorable spots left.

Coxy

1: Thunderforce IV
For me, as far as shmups go this is nigh on perfection. The first few times I played it I arsed around the first 4 selectable stages and didnt think it was that great, but later on I put some effort in and when you get to stage 5, oh man, so good.
Metal Squad
Stand Up Against Myself

2: Gleylancer
I really loved the presentation of this game and the options were really unique at the time so it stuck with me.
Stage 2

3: Gaiares
Another one with a really cool style and option system, more shmups need something like this
Mission 4

4: Sol-Feace
Shmup fans have probably noticed a pattern, yes I love Wolf Team and Masaya games
Stage 4

5: Panzer Dragoon Zwei
This game had such a fantastic mysterious world I really longed to explore it, finding all the alternate routes just to see a little more of it was awesome and I was blown away the first time I got the other final boss fight
Ruins

HM: Dead Nation
HM: Assault Suits Leynos

oneida

Sorry, but NOPE!

Sorry but YUP

Please tell me how run n' gunners aren't shmups. Is it because you're tethered to the ground, as if horizontal shooters didn't restrict traversable screenspace all the time? Is it because the screen doesn't auto-scroll, as if that weren't the case in some of the first shmups to exist?

Tain

Your first point is kinda nonsense, since "being tethered to the ground" and "having restricted traversable screen space" are not the same thing. It's an awfully simple way to dismiss gravity, pitfalls, that sort of thing.

Contra has more in common with Mario and Mega Man than Progear. I'm totally fine calling Progear an STG and Contra an action platformer.

I'm not fine calling anything a "shmup" because that's silly.

gunstarhero

Sorry but YUP

Please tell me how run n' gunners aren't shmups. Is it because you're tethered to the ground, as if horizontal shooters didn't restrict traversable screenspace all the time? Is it because the screen doesn't auto-scroll, as if that weren't the case in some of the first shmups to exist?

This is a tough one - and one I try to avoid.

I actually didn't include Space Harrier, which is one of my all time favorites. But it can be argued it isn't a true shooter either. I just except they are in a weird sub-genre called 3D shooters. (Panzer, Rez, etc.)

Run n' Gunners have some differences that can be disputed whether or not they are shooters. A lack of auto scrolling is one of them, then there's the case of the platforming (jumping).

Ask yourself this: If they WERE shooters, then WHY are you referring to them as "run n' gunners"? ;-) jk

The only fact on the matter is that this is going to seriously derail the voting if we don't have a stance here on GAF. Lol.

I say we keep the R&Gs out of it. I'm actually a little surprised to see some Panzer votes in here! :)

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Your first point is kinda nonsense, since "being tethered to the ground" and "having restricted traversable screen space" are not the same thing. It's an awfully simple way to dismiss gravity, pitfalls, that sort of thing.

Contra has more in common with Mario and Mega Man than Progear. I'm totally fine calling Progear an STG and Contra an action platformer.

I'm not fine calling anything a "shmup" because that's silly.

I agree with this. Once you start calling Contra and Metal Slug shooters, you might as well start including first and third person shooters in the mix. It gets messy. Personally I'd say any game that allows largely unrestricted movement across the screen space which focuses primarily on projectile and enemy avoidance over accuracy would be classified as a shooter. This means something like Kiki Kaikai could be in, but Contra is definitely out. Panzer Dragoon is a tough one because it's more about prioritizing targets than reactively avoiding attacks.

Genre semantics are always a difficult thing, but we should try to keep the list as focused as possible.

I wouldn't include rail shooters (Panzer Dragoon and co.) on my own list but I'd completely understand them being allowed because they're like the other shmups but from a behind the back perspective. They still allow free movement over the general screen real estate. I think there's some decent reasons to argue against them as well but I still don't fault them for being included and think the majority of people won't include them in their votes so there's no real reason to worry about them ranking all that highly.

I agree with all the sentiments against including run 'n' gunners or whatever the general name is being called (action platformers sounds more like something I'd call them, as I saw one other mention).

braves01

Banned
Not a huge shmup player, but my favorites are

1. Espgaluda II - really fun "bullet time" mechanic that can make navigating complex bullet patterns more easily if you need to, or used to pump up your score once you get the hang of it and are ready for homing bullets,

2. Mushihemesama Futari - Really colorful, great music

3. Dodonpachi Resurrection (that's the iOS name, I forget the real name)

4. Ikaruga - everyone else has already said what's great about this one

5. Mushihemesama

oneida

movement in In the Hunt is often restricted to < 20% of the screen and it is unquestionably a shmup. Run n' gunners are so obviously a sub-genre that they are included in every shmup discussion without pause. Contra III resembles a conventional shmup d far more than Panzer Dragoon does.

Any genre has some give-or-take with how it's placed, but I think it's useful to look at what a work is actually doing. In this respect, run-and-guns are much more similar to shooting games / shoot-em-ups than they are to platformers. There's very little platforming going on, and jumping is typically a means to move about the playspace in a way that avoids gunfire while maintaining fire on enemies.

At its heart, Metal Slug is very much a shooting game and not so much a platformer. I can only recall very few instances of actual, do-or-die platforming in Metal Slug 3, and most jumping is a way to avoid grenade fire, not unlike the sweeping dodges players make to avoid aimed flak in bullet hell games.

The focus is clearly on shooting enemies and avoiding gunfire, not happily bounding from ledge to ledge and head to head. Platforming is minimal, shooting and dodging are everything. If we're saying that player-controlled scrolling is an issue, then what about titles that don't scroll, or where players are bound to one axis? I'd argue that Metal Slug 3 shares closer lineage with a classic hori like Gate of Thunder than Space Invaders does.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
In The Hunt restricting your range of moment is not the same as Contra having strictly lateral movement identical to a 2D platformer.

Any genre has some give-or-take with how it's placed, but I think it's useful to look at what a work is actually doing. In this respect, run-and-guns are much more similar to shooting games / shoot-em-ups than they are to platformers. There's very little platforming going on, and jumping is typically a means to move about the playspace in a way that avoids gunfire while maintaining fire on enemies.

At its heart, Metal Slug is very much a shooting game and not so much a platformer. I can only recall very few instances of actual, do-or-die platforming in Metal Slug 3, and most jumping is a way to avoid grenade fire, not unlike the sweeping dodges players make to avoid aimed flak in bullet hell games.

The focus is clearly on shooting enemies and avoiding gunfire, not happily bounding from ledge to ledge and head to head. Platforming is minimal, shooting and dodging are everything. If we're saying that player-controlled scrolling is an issue, then what about titles that don't scroll, or where players are bound to one axis? I'd argue that Metal Slug 3 shares closer lineage with a classic hori like Gate of Thunder than Space Invaders does.

Eh, I think so the thread doesn't become a large argument it's best to just accept the larger definition and not try to deter people from voting for things like Contra and Metal Slug if they feel it fits the definition. The results will ultimately show how things shake out.

The top indie game thread got pretty cluttered with discussion over what should be considered "indie" and for the purpose of these threads it's better to just focus on discussing game quality and specifics and less on classification.

Also, I'm really glad I voted for Sine Mora after multiple people are making a big deal about it getting votes.

Tain

movement in In the Hunt is often restricted to < 20% of the screen and it is unquestionably a shmup. Run n' gunners are so obviously a sub-genre that they are included in every shmup discussion without pause. Contra III resembles a conventional shmup d far more than Panzer Dragoon does.

well, clearly not "every", as we're demonstrating here and has been demonstrated in countless other enthusiast forum threads since the beginning of video game discussion. Action platformers and STGs are both subgenres of "2D action", rather than action platforming being a child of STG.

I do agree that games like Panzer Dragoon are also another genre, though.

catstronaut said:

But what about all the Metal Slug and Makaimura and Contra games (among numerous others) that do have do-or-die pits? And the very act of jumping behaves like it does in a platformer: you're committing to a movement path, you're getting around things that will kill you, and you need to pay attention to where you land. There's a spectrum of 2D side-view action games that covers the range of focus on "shooting and dodging enemies" versus "navigating platforms", with maybe something like Metal Slug at one end and something like (ugh) Super Meat Boy at the other, but that doesn't mean the entire set of movement and attack mechanics of Metal Slug and how it differs from the movement and attack options in an STG are meaningless.

Yes Boss!

You have some different shmup discussions then, that is for sure. In The Hunt is a terrible example...that has nothing to do with run and gun. I can see maybe if you picked something like Lords of Thunder in which you can run on the ground (but that is just an animation and does not change gameplay).

To quite honest, one of my big pet peeves is when folks call games like Sunset Riders, Nam-1975 and even Shock Troopers shmups.

japtor

I think method of movement is a big one. It's generally along a 2D plane and you're free to move barring obstacles in the level along that plane, vs rail shooters where you're control along a plane but you're also moving through (and shooting into) the third dimension, or run and gunners that have different vertical movement with jumps. Metal Slug is as much a shmup as Deathsmiles is a run and gun.

Forced progression is a harder one but I more or less agree, although I'm not sure it's the best description cause it'd leave out fixed screen shooters like Space Invaders and Galaga and what not (how could I forget Space Bomber!).

...and now I'm wondering what Time Pilot counts as (and I guess newer twin stick stuff), "free roaming shooter"?

Metal Slug is as much a shmup as Deathsmiles is a run and gun.

I object to this reasoning on the grounds that shmup/shooter is a general term and run and gun is a specific term. For example, Gate of Thunder is a shooter, but we might call it a hori. Raiden Fighters Jet is a shooter, but we might call it a vert. These are specific subsets of an overarching genre.

Saying "Metal Slug is as much a shmup as Deathsmiles is a run and gun" is like saying "Pestilence is as much metal as Black Sabbath is death metal." Even though Pestilence *is* metal, it reads like a foolish statement because you're applying its specific subgenre to Black Sabbath instead, which falls under another segment of the genre as a whole.

Just because Pestilence is death metal doesn't mean it isn't metal. Just because Metal Slug 3 is a run and gun doesn't mean it isn't a shooter.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Ante-script 1: I haven't played Ketsui, Battle Garegga, Crimson Clover, Eschatos, or Ginga Force. There are many others which I haven't played, but I have a feeling that my choices may be altered if I had experience with at least these games specifically.

Ante-script 2: This thread would have been funnier if it was titled "essential shooters" instead but kept everything else intact, so that it would have had as many people who posted in it without reading the OP, as seen here.

On with the nominations. No ranking because it's not required and I'd spend too much time trying to settle it. Also no pretty pictures or YT song links because they'll be redundant within this thread if not already being so as of this post.

Thunder Force V

I initiate discussing this game by stating that this game is proof that this statement is wrong:
Shinriji said:
Sine Mora - the first time that someone tried to make a clever and serious story around shmups.

Before the PS1/SS generation, shooters were something that I liked well enough if I played them, but they weren't something that I felt really deeply interested in. TF5 changed that. The menu system, graphic style, music, weaponry, and even its storyline all formed something which I strongly felt made a cohesive whole. Learning the game entailed mastering Free Range, and the proximity kill bonus system helped to keep an edge to push you into danger at all times. I felt my progress in the game come naturally and soon was able to clear it as a matter of rote. The ending was superb icing to the cake, with the emotionally evocative piano song mixed with the contradictory lines being spoken to you on both sides of the stereo output.

That I was able to clear it with relative ease, and the nature of the Free Range weapon itself, shows TF5 to be a very easy game. It's been many years since I've last played it. But simply hearing the music still puts a smile to my face and immediately brings memories of playing back to my forefront.

Thunder Force V changed my relationship with this genre.

G Darius
This game marries the Darius's series hallmarks of enemy style, stage layout, and BGM with the "every enemy can be a powerup" concept of Gaiaries, and does so with excellence. The necessity to experiment with different enemy captures combined with the branching paths which the game allows you to take allows a strong initiative to continuously replay it.

I played this first on PS1, and the screen-filling boss laser battles which sent the controller into a minute-long vibration session was such an incredible sensation.

I felt very accomplished to clear it on the console, but I did recall reading about the port having severe slowdown issues, so I never took my accomplishment to mean much and long awaited to play the game as intended some day. That day came with the PS2 Taito Memories collection, and my realization as to what the game's real speed and difficulty was became something of having a dream collapse into a nightmare. I hope to find some future time to see if I can ever obtain skill at the proper game and maybe even clear it, but its sheer true difficulty is something for which I'll need to make a special accounting.

Espgaluda II
On the subject of difficulty, there's this game.

The dual layers of bullet time manipulation found in the vanilla version of the game makes for a compelling experience on its own. Black Label's additional twist in respect of bullet splitting compounds the game's system with another layer. Few things feel more gratifying in any shooter than bullet canceling, and this game demands the player to do that in a way which no other shooter provides.

There's a few aesthetic aspects to Espgaluda I which I prefer, like its interface and music, but I cannot consider that to be enough for me to favor it over this game. Espgaluda II is strong enough in visual and audio style regardless, and it is definitely a game which I consider to be amongst the most engaging of all video games to play from start to end. Basically every frame of action in this game demands your complete control and attention.

While this is the Cave shooter which I would state to prefer the most, it's the Cave shooter which I also have probably played the least - I attest that to my desire to not be burned out on it.

Mars Matrix
I find it baffling that basically no other shooter (or at least console port) barring exceptions like Ginga Force, much less most any score-based game in general, has no kind of shop system like Mars Matrix has. Giving players a reason to earn points and do something with earned points seems like a no-brainer, and I haven't read a complaint about the concept. Asking for players to earn their way to use more credits or have more expansive options seems to be directly engaging to all players.

Meanwhile, the actual game itself is rather good. The total lack of physical obstacles combined with the one-button-does-all concept makes for very accessible play and allows the player to clearly focus on dodging bullets and maintaining chains. The allowance to direct bullet deflection is very satisfying. The fact that reflection and bombing comes from an ever-repleting gauge gives the player encouragement to use both frequently. Combine these good mechanics with strong art and music, and a healthy splash of too-fast-to-read text flying around everywhere, and it makes for a good game in all aspects.

Muchi Muchi Pork
I definitely prefer shooters which give players optional firepower that can be used at-will or very frequently rather than relative one-time invincibility toggles; and this game is structured very well to provide the player with the kind of former ability, both in terms of its frequency in use as well as rewards for executing it properly.

I have taken a particular liking to its Manpuku mode. For me, it initially came across as being ridiculously difficult, but practice revealed it to be a mode which augments the normal game's weapon and medal-collection system with point-blank killing that becomes a fundamental requirement, lest the screen becomes impossibly filled with enemy bullets.

Honorable mentions:
Border Down
The crisp look and BGM are lovely, and the stage branching on the basis of life stock is a very interesting twist.

Einhander
There are a few times where the game's dynamic manipulation of perspective and zoom makes for a play field which is too restrictive and difficult to determine areas of danger, and there are a few times where there is nothing going on in the game but background scrolling by. Past rough edges like those, Einhander's art assets, weapon system, and music make for an excellent game.

very late third mention edited in -
Pink Sweets (Arrange)
This specific mode of this shooter is unique in how it handles maintaining multiplier bonuses, extra lives, and player death. Getting up to 64X score multiplier is relatively easy enough, and the score threshold for an extra life is a low amount. However, there is a fixed limit of lives allowed to the player, and the time allowed to keep a chain up without something to hit is rather small. Besides the limited bomb-type of shot, player death also allows to hold the timing window of the score multiplier. What this all combines to provide is a game where every bomb and every life must be expended, particularly at precise times, to achieve maximum effect (especially to carry 64X multiplier through boss fights). The constant flow of player life stock makes for the game to not be as challenging as other Cave games, but the combination of these mechanics is unique for the genre and very engaging. I wonder if I should see about playing Every Extend Extra Extreme.

Honorable not-mentions:
Twin stick shooters
Games like Geometry Wars 2 or Robotron 2084 don't come to my mind when I think of "shooters".

Platform shooters
Likewise, I will not refer to Metal Slug 3 as a "shooter".

Then again, I'm always rigid about my use and definition of genre titles.

shaowebb

Yep.

And what the heck, name 10 if you like. The last five will only be counted as honorables though.

Oh wow...you see thats the thing about shmups. There are SO many good ones its hard to limit yourself. Heck if Tatsunoko vs Capcom on Wii had an unlockable shmup in it!

This thread is gonna be so fun. I had no idea there were so many Cotton games! <3

Tain

Thunder Force V

Before the PS1/SS generation, shooters were something that I liked well enough if I played them, but they weren't something that I felt really deeply interested in. TF5 changed that. The menu system, graphic style, music, weaponry, and even its storyline all formed something which I strongly felt made a cohesive whole. Learning the game entailed mastering Free Range, and the proximity kill bonus system helped to keep an edge to push you into danger at all times. I felt my progress in the game come naturally and soon was able to clear it as a matter of rote. The ending was superb icing to the cake, with the emotionally evocative piano song mixed with the contradictory lines being spoken to you on both sides of the stereo output.

That I was able to clear it with relative ease, and the nature of the Free Range weapon itself, shows TF5 to be a very easy game. It's been many years since I've last played it. But simply hearing the music still puts a smile to my face and immediately brings memories of playing back to my forefront.

Thunder Force V changed my relationship with this genre.

I have a similar soft spot when it comes to this game. It was, if I remember right, the first import game that I owned, and the music is burned into my brain. I've heard people call it ugly before and think they're insane.

JoeFenix

I don't feel comfortable making a top 5 because I'm currently exploring certain series that I haven't spent enough time with but I can safely say that my absolute favorite is Gradius V, I don't think anything can dethrone that one for me!

250px-Gradius_V_cover.jpg

The entire OST is a masterpiece, hard to list favorites but Stage 7 tracks are probably tops for me!

Stage 7 part 1

Stage 7 part 2

I can just get lost in this game for hours. The more I play it the more I love it!

Also have to nominate Life Force as a runner up because it's a really special game to me.

First game my dad bought me and first Shmup I've ever played, it's a fantastic game and still holds up incredibly well to this day. Giant face boss heaven!

life-force-nes-cover-front-73970.jpg

images

hqdefault.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Lifeforce-Boss.png

OST was also absolutely mind blowing, it's all fantastic but Stage 3 made a big impression on me.

Crisium

1. Radiant Silvergun (Arcade / Saturn)

Seven different ways to attack? All from the first screen, no powerups required? Oh god yes. To be honest the chaining system is worse than in Ikaruga, but that game was always the simpler Treasure shooter. There is beauty in simplicity, however, so moving on:

2. Ikaruga (Arcade / DC)

This game is art. Two colors, one fun game.

3. Galactic Attack / RayForce / Layer Section (Arcade / Saturn)

Rayforce_gameplay.png

Music!

Attack enemies in the foreground like any other shmup... but you can always lock onto targets in the background with homing lasers a la Panzer Dragoon. I like it 'cause your ship actually has a big hitbox and it's NOT a bullet hell.

4. Soldier Blade (PC Engine)

soldier_blade.gif

My favourite PC Engine shmup. I prefer it to Super Star Soldier. You get a little companion ship, and the power system is simple. It's not a bullet hell, so I approve.

5. Radirgy (Arcade / DC)

radirgy.png

I love the graphics. You get a little sword that reminds me of Radiant Silvergun. I overrate this game, but the charm makes it very non threatening and non frustrating to play (but it's not easy, it's just that most shmups make me too tense).

Honorable Mentions:

1. Batsugun (Arcade / Saturn)

Gotta give some love to bullet hell. This game, a pioneer, is still my favourite.

2. Ai Cho Aniki (PC Engine)

aiChoAniki_01.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5HwtewqLXI

It's like Paridius. But manlier? Manly... yeah let's say that.

It's a bad shmup probably. But it gets a point from me just so I can subject you to it.

Rayven

aka surume
I haven't played these in a long time, but here are my recollections and the systems I played them on.

1. DoDonPachi (MAME version) - The perfect standard vertical shmup. Everything just feels right about the controls, level design, boss battles. No real frills, just solid shooting and dodging.

2. Radiant Silvergun (Saturn/XBLA versions) - The level and boss variety in this game cannot be overstated. Between the xp system, varied locales, and narrative, it can feel at times like an adventure game in shmup clothing - there's just so much to do throughout. Also, despite the puzzle style scoring, it's a shooter at heart unlike Ikaruga :p

3. Gradius III (SNES) Sunk many hours into this as a kid.

4. Gradius V (PS2) More polished than III, but I didn't stick with it for some reason.

5. 1943 (NES)

Honorable Mentions:
Dangun Ferveron (MAME)
Guwange (MAME/XBLA) For the presentation.
Gunsmoke (Arcade/NES)
Soukyugurentai (PS1)
Border Down (DC)

cj_iwakura

1) Shikigami no Shiro / Castle Shikigami II (PS2/DC/GC/etc.)
7I2mdCx.jpg

Flying (Stage 1)

vXFVN5a.jpg

I picked up this game because of the US version's random anime cover, and it's still my favorite in the trilogy. Ridiculously convoluted plot with just enough mysteries to keep you interested, a varied cast who play completely different from the others, and some extremely fun boss fights. The legendary bad voice acting in the dub is bonus.

2) M.U.S.H.A. (Gen/WiiVC)

M.U.S.H.A._Coverart.png

Opening

hqdefault.jpg

One of my first shmups, a mind-blowing opening for its time, and some amazing music.

3) Touhou 08 - Imperishable Night (PC)

256px-Th08cover.jpg

Maiden's Capriccio - Dream Battle

imperishablenightyp7.jpg

This wasn't my first Touhou game, but it remains my favorite.
Awesome OST, silly but engrossing story, replay value in spades.

4) Radio Allergy/Radirgy (GC/Wii/PS2/etc.)
radirgy-f.jpg

Bitcrush

hqdefault.jpg

I waited a eternity to finally play this game, and I wasn't disappointed. Jet Set Radio in shmup form, lots of charm and style.

5) Silpheed (Sega CD)
256px-SilpheedSegaCD.jpg

There isn't a game quite like Silpheed, and it was a pretty impressive feat at the time.

Stage 6

hqdefault.jpg

Honorable Mentions

1) Gleylancer (Genesis/Wii VC)
Stage 2

578841_19018_front.jpg

I was way late to this, but I enjoyed it a lot.

gfs_19018_2_1_mid.jpg

2) The Super Dimensional Fortress Macross (Saturn)

575994_15676_front.jpg

Do You Remember Love?
gfs_15676_2_2_mid.jpg

I'm new to the series, but I still loved this game to pieces. Great A/V experience compared to the film, and works well on its own too.

Also has some gorgeous parallax scrolling later on.

I'll probably add three more if I think of them(probably Bangai-O and Deathsmiles among them), but this is good for now.
Gotta add Under Defeat as well, maybe.

ban25

1. Sengoku Blade - Saturn
sengokublade-f.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ISwYItXAjs

Psikyo's follow-up to Sengoku Ace is definitely my favorite shooter. Great action, fun characters and story, and great multiplayer.

2. M.U.S.H.A. - Genesis
MUSHA_GEN_ScreenShot1.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9U5Slq-Bc

My favorite game in the Aleste series, from Compile. Incredible game on the Genesis, which leads into my next pick:

3. Space Megaforce - SNES
spaceMegaforce_(10).jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWvlT0aO_Ng

Aleste appears on the SNES with Super Aleste / Space Megaforce!

4. U.N. Squadron - SNES
1181242184172.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Fsmcvt8ftk

Known as Area 88 in Japan. Killer soundtrack, multiple plans and pilots, one of the best early shooters on the SNES (especially before Space Megaforce and Axelay).

5. Thunderforce III - Genesis
tforce03.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnviiwAVaoQ

One of my all-time favorite series on the Genesis, along with Lightening Force [sic] (though not a big fan of TF2).

Honorable Mentions:

Parodius
Gunbird
Darius
Lifeforce (Gradius II)

Question guys, working on my list at the moment, would Bangai O Spirits on the DS be considered a SHMUP, not really sure if its a SHMUP in the true sense of the word of if its more of an action game?

Question guys, working on my list at the moment, would Bangai O Spirits on the DS be considered a SHMUP, not really sure if its a SHMUP in the true sense of the word of if its more of an action game?

The OP says post whatever you want, so post whatever you want ;D

I'd say yes, anyhow.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Thanks to those people listing the platform next to the title of the game (shame on you lot who didn't. Not all of us have heard of them ;^) ). I haven't heard of a lot of these. Really wish a few of these horizontal shmups were on the Vita (not port begging btw).

I'll submit a list when I get home.

Teknoman

this thread has me shopping around for Radirgy on GC now, thanks guys

lol i'm probably going to try and go for the DC version...especially since i've got the boot disc.

Also now i've got my eye on Ginga Force and Eschatos, which I guess both are region free?

Top Bottom