• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Cerny speaking on stage about the PS4

Zoator

And here I thought Cerny had used some voodoo magic to cut production time. =[

It will reduce the up front cost required to develop an engine for the new platform significantly, so we'll see more high quality titles sooner than we did on the PS3. On the PS3, it took about 2 years before developers really started to get into a rhythm, which was an absurdly long period of time.

The PS4 has been out for what, 7 years now? I'd think third party studios have had enough time to do what first parties did 3 ou 4 years ago. Yet Black Ops 2 (as just and example) was so much worse than the 360 version

Just because they've theoretically had the time doesn't mean it would be worth the effort and expenditure for them.

DICE has the time to figure out how to make Frostbite 3 work on Wii U but they won't bother.

So you're just going to ignore the fact that they only had to program for PS3 all the time? That's fine, it just means that you're talking past my point.

Development teams are split up into sub teams to program for each platform. If you saw the presentation, you could see that the ICE team that started the development tools were only just about 5-6 people. By now ways those people were programaing the game for PS3 and also developing the tools for PS4 at the same time

Just because they've theoretically had the time doesn't mean it would be worth the effort and expenditure for them.

DICE has the time to figure out how to make Frostbite 3 work on Wii U but they won't bother.

That is because EA doesn't see as financially viable on Wii U. EA calls the shots, not DICE

So you're just going to ignore the fact that they only had to program for PS3 all the time? That's fine, it just means that you're talking past my point.

Your argument only holds water with early PS3 titles and even then that area is murky. Oblivion on the PS3 ran better than the 360 version yet Skyrim was a piece of shit on the PS3. So how does that happen? It's a combination of both. You could say that earlier in the PS3's life cycle third parties didn't have a handle on the complexity of the Cell and that would be true. But six, seven, eight, etc. games later? That was complete laziness on their part. The real reason is that they didn't want to take the time on PS3 titles because the 360 had more consoles out there. It simply wasn't worth their time. So it's even worse: it was a combination of apathy and laziness.

Btw I feel like the dumbest person alive. I was unaware that gamelab was these days. I'm from Barcelona and I missed the chance to see Cerny in person, and maybe even be able to talk to him briefly (doubt it but hey there was the chance).

:(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
how about 256bit GDDR5 at 176GB/s *and* a small pool of EDRAM at 1TB/s?

all that'll go away in the next few years with stacked memory I guess?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Your argument only holds water with early PS3 titles and even then that area is murky. Oblivion on the PS3 ran better than the 360 version yet Skyrim was a piece of shit on the PS3. So how does that happen? It's a combination of both. You could say that earlier in the PS3's life cycle third parties didn't have a handle on the complexity of the Cell and that would be true. But six, seven, eight, etc. games later? That was complete laziness on their part. The real reason is that they didn't want to take the time on PS3 titles because the 360 had more consoles out there. It simply wasn't worth their time. So it's even worse: it was a combination of apathy and laziness.

But hasn't PS3 sold more than 360?

[edit]Skyrim wasn't because of Cell anyway; it was because of the split memory pools.

SappYoda

Btw I feel like the dumbest person alive. I was unaware that gamelab was these days. I'm from Barcelona and I missed the chance to see Cerny in person, and maybe even be able to talk to him briefly (doubt it but hey there was the chance).

:(
Yep me too. I can't believe I missed this.

Ploid 3.0

Having the EDRAM took away their goal of making the memory unified, which is something the devs wanted. It made things more complex, you get more bus but it'll take more time to develop for since you have to manage memory with the edram, just like his example with the graphics card that could do sophisticated ray tracing.

Having the EDRAM took away their goal of making the memory unified, which is something the devs wanted. It made things more complex, you get more bus but it'll take more time to develop for since you have to manage memory with the edram, just like his example with the graphics card that could do sophisticated ray tracing.

Wouldn't this mean that developing for the Xbone now is going to take longer/be more challenging?

Afrikan

well that was a nice bedtime story to hear before passing out. Thankx Mark!

also, I guess I was the only one who liked that Ken Kutaragi CELL pic with the Obama Change colors..lol.

I'd sport that as an avatar because I'm a fan of Kutaragi, but I'd get bashed in every thread by both sides of the fence. :eek:

Ploid 3.0

Wouldn't this mean that developing for the Xbone now is going to take longer/be more challenging?

Yes, it's one of the flaws. MS had different goals than Sony. It's great if you take the time to work with it, but it's extra work. It'll probably not be that much work though, I have no idea.

How does Xbox One's memory bus compare to PS4's? MS is also using cheaper memory so they probably didn't catch up I suppose.

CoG

My guess is devs will lead on the PS4 this time around then figure out how to get their engines working on the Xbox One. Complete turnaround from last gen.

Theonik

That eDRAM would have to take space on their die which means a) A more expensive APU. or b) A weaker APU like X1. The benefits aren't that great tbh and it runs counter to their design goals anyway.

Yes, it's one of the flaws. MS had different goals than Sony. It's great if you take the time to work with it, but it's extra work. It'll probably not be that much work though, I have no idea.

How does Xbox One's memory bus compare to PS4's? MS is also using cheaper memory so they probably didn't catch up I suppose.
The Xbox One uses DDR3 so a bandwidth beast it is not. Don't recall exact numbers, I think they do something like 50-60GB/s? Someone might like to correct me.

That is because EA doesn't see as financially viable on Wii U. EA calls the shots, not DICE

That was my point. It's not worth it to them, just like it wasn't worth the effort for developers to learn to program for the PS3. Using the CoD example, the developer clearly felt that the extra effort required to match 360 performance wasn't going to sell enough extra copies to be worth it.

Any way you slice it, PS3 was at a disadvantage programming wise. Laziness can only ever be a part of it and not the sole reason for uneven ports.

smik

Great Show by Cerny!

i found this super entertaining, the history of cerny's life and job positions and the incredible talent he has at explaining things,
watching this really felt like e3 as the juicy ps4 details came out.

The power of the ps4 seems to be its simplicity, yet very deep mature integration while delivering great graphical performance.

My guess is devs will lead on the PS4 this time around then figure out how to get their engines working on the Xbox One. Complete turnaround from last gen.

This is exactly what will happen and it may be as drastic as the PS4 versions of the titles running at 60 fps whereas the One titles running at 30.

CyberChulo

Dammit! I missed and I am frantically searching everywhere on the net. How long do you think before someone uploads it?

I-hate-u

Takeaways for me:

-Shu Yoshida was a boss even back in the day.
-If it wasn't apparent before, Naughty Dog is the most important developer at Sony.
-Mark Cerny is technically not a Sony employee.
-Mark wants to build a Playstation legacy of key members similar to Nintendo Japan.

My last takeaway and one that I would love if it was touched upon in the future by the involved parties:
Why did Insomniac stray away from Sony? Them and Naughty Dog started pretty much from the same place. Both were talented. But why did ND agree to get bought out by Sony while Insomniac refused? And what happened that caused the great disparity between the quality output of the studios these days? Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games were on even ground in the PS2 era.

Sorral

Looks like I have to watch this after my final. The thread was fun/good to read. Makes me wonder how you guys will be if Cerny got an account here. :lol

Why did Insomniac stray away from Sony? Them and Naughty Dog started pretty much from the same place. Both were talented. But why did ND agree to get bought out by Sony while Insomniac refused? And what happened that caused the great disparity between the quality output of the studios these days? Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games were on even ground in the PS2 era.

ND and Insomniac was also started by Cerny in a way. He hired them to make Spyro and Crash Bandicoot when he was president of Universal Studio's head of game publishing when they consisted of just one or two guys for the whole company.

Insomniac I guess just wanted to become a multiplatform superstar I assume and felt their games are better served towards everyone. Thus souring their relationship with Sony in a way.

I-hate-u

ND and Insomniac was also started by Cerny in a way. He hired them to make Spyro and Crash Bandicoot when he was president of Universal Studio's head of game publishing when they consisted of just one or two guys for the whole company.

Insomniac I guess just wanted to become a multiplatform superstar I assume and felt their games are better served towards everyone. Thus souring their relationship with Sony in a way.

My initial guess was that they wanted to own their IP. I would love to know why that is so valuable to them. Is it because it gives them value in the off chance they get bought?

Sorral

My initial guess was that they wanted to own their IP. I would love to know why that is so valuable to them. Is it because it gives them value in the off chance they get bought?

It is Ted Price's vision(as the founder of insomniac if I am not mistaken). Have to consider that both Andy Gavin and Jason Rubin (founders of ND) are no longer with ND hence ND being OK with being bought by Sony while Ted said no.

Ted has a lot of control and I guess he wants to keep it that way vs someone else controlling the company and maybe shutting them down in the future.

Sales of Ratchet and Clank was getting less and less with each new sequel and the Resistance franchise wasn't a big hit like they want to be. I don't blame them. I think they were bleeding money after all of that and the best way to ensure their survival is to go multi-platform.

StuBurns

Banned
I enjoyed the presentation, I've heard him cover a lot of that stuff before, but he's a compelling speaker.

It seems odd he'd give what seemed like such a direct nod towards MS's technical approach. He made it seem like they'd have a long term advantage, which is strange.

Top Bottom