• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Nintendo tell me that you can watch twitch.tv in the WiiU browser?

kadotsu

Banned
I just finished playing some NSMBU and I wanted to look if the International games started on twitch. Twitch never worked well on devices outside of my PC and I don't want to pay for Gold just for one app. It works pretty well, better than the iPhone IMO.

Now I have a low power consumption twitch box. Next test: saltybet (secret WiiU killer app?)

Did I miss the announcement? Maybe I missed a thread so lock if old.

Frolow

Banned
Wait, twitch works on the browser? I thought twitch was set up with Flash, which isn't supported by the browser.

I just finished playing some NSMBU and I wanted to look if the International games started on twitch. Twitch never worked well on devices outside of my PC and I don't want to pay for Gold just for one app. It works pretty well, better than the iPhone IMO.

Now I have a low power consumption twitch box. Next test: saltybet (secret WiiU killer app?)

Did I miss the announcement? Maybe I missed a thread so lock if old.

You can? I honestly thought you couldn't.

Now I don't even have to get out of bed for fighting game tournaments.

Cartman86

Banned
Saltybet website doesn't work. The Twitch site defaults to an HTML5 stream if you go to the website, but I've never seen any embedded videos like on Giantbomb or Saltybet work.

Tan

I literally tried just this past weekend to watch saltybet and it didn't work. Twitch runs in flash so how could it work on your WiiU?

Saltybet website doesn't work. The Twitch site defaults to an HTML5 stream if you go to the website, but I've never seen any embedded videos like on Giantbomb or Saltybet work.

I could've sworn I tried this! :( maybe not.

cloudyy

You can watch twitch without the need of flash if you set the user-agent to something like iOS. Until today (?) you weren't able to watch twitch on wii u because the website doesn't switch over to the html5.

Cartman86

Banned
Got Salty working in an interesting way. Looks like you could go to the twitch.tv salty stream and then send it to the TV, and on the gamepad go to the salty site to do the betting.

Cuburt

The browser seems pretty well optimized for HTML 5 video, or rather whatever standard format HTML5 uses that is supported by the Wii U (MP4 H.264?). I enjoy YouTube videos on it more than any of my other devices/apps.

As more sites support HTML5, it will probably be my go to browser for all video/streaming.

cloudyy

If it works to watch twitch on the wii u now, it has nothing to do with the wii u itself, but rather that twitch now detects the wii u's user-agent and switches the video to html 5 rather than flash.

El Sabroso

Because TwitchTV does not work in WiiU browser but Ustream on the other hand, works.

forget it now works, that's amazing, before just Ustream and now Twitch TV, we in there.

I've watched this last Direct and a few others on the Wii U gamepad. Wake up. Watch. Sleep.

edit - Was thinking Ustream not Twitch.

kunonabi

crap you guys are right. now i can watch vgcw without hooking up my laptop to the tv. freakin megaton for me.

Darryl

Banned
Got Salty working in an interesting way. Looks like you could go to the twitch.tv salty stream and then send it to the TV, and on the gamepad go to the salty site to do the betting.

whoa. this doesn't fix betting in bed tho cuz you wont be able to watch stream at same time, no?

vgamer1

Saltybets is introducing many people to the real problem of gambling addiction. Thankfully it's all fake money though.

Cartman86

Banned
whoa. this doesn't fix betting in bed tho cuz you wont be able to watch stream at same time, no?

You can.

1. Go to browser on Wii U gamepad
2. Go to twitch.tv/saltybet
3. Press the play button on the player on the page.
4. The video will now be full screen on your gamepad.
5. Send the video off the gamepad and onto the TV using the send to tv button on the lower right
6. Go to saltybet.com on your newly freed Wii U webrowser and login to bet! New tab or not it still works.

When you send a video to the TV on the Wii U it still lets you go to other websites while the video continues to play.

NOTE: There is a slight delay with the stream and betting that cuts probably half the betting time down. The betting period shows up earlier than the video. The chat also does not work.

Does Twitch encode all its media streams to html5 or just certain ones/certain quality?

fake edit: Certain quality, up to 360p It looks like? But they are in the process of improving it according to forums.

Cartman86

Banned
Boom! Excuse my shitty camera.

IMG_20130807_114257.jpg

it lags a bit and there's no chat. works for me though since i'm a little burnt out on fgc chat when the joke-of-the-day has run its course.

Top Bottom