• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why didn't Nintendo tell me that you can watch twitch.tv in the WiiU browser?

Never even been to this site. Watching someone do a mario 64 speed run on my wii u. No text chat box, tho. Works good, smooth stream.

zroid

Banned
Got Salty working in an interesting way. Looks like you could go to the twitch.tv salty stream and then send it to the TV, and on the gamepad go to the salty site to do the betting.

figured it would work this way

that's good to know!

Jacan

Neo Member
I just finished playing some NSMBU and I wanted to look if the International games started on twitch. Twitch never worked well on devices outside of my PC and I don't want to pay for Gold just for one app. It works pretty well, better than the iPhone IMO.

Now I have a low power consumption twitch box. Next test: saltybet (secret WiiU killer app?)

Did I miss the announcement? Maybe I missed a thread so lock if old.

Perhaps Nintendo didn´t consider Twitch to be so big or interesting that they have announced something like that.

Its not until MS and Sony each taking sides in the Twitch vs Ustream battle that both have come into the more main stream media eyes.

zroid

Banned
jbnsbbKWM64qAw.jpg

Revven

Literally amazing. I gotta try this on one of the streams I watch very often. This could be HUGE for watching speedruns on the big screen :D

Cartman86

Banned
Literally amazing. I gotta try this on one of the streams I watch very often. This could be HUGE for watching speedruns on the big screen :D

To clarify. Twitch only streams in HTML5 if the video is live. Archived stuff streams in flash which won't work on the Wii U :(

I was sure it did not work in the past, but perhaps I had just assumed that twitch used flash because justin.tv needs flash.

I really like the Wii U browser

Siegmeyer

I tried Twitch months ago when I got my Wii U and was gutted when it didn't work. This changes everything, thanks OP.

seems to work for livestreams. Did not work for my attempt to watch a recording of Quakecon. This requires flash still. That's what it said when I last tried on streams as well.

Haines

Banned
hmm not much i watch on twitch would be good on that small of a screen. in only tend to watch starcraft

Snakeyes

That's awesome. Imagine the possibilities if Nintendo were more aware of all these online features/communities.

Watching a Smash stream and Salty Betting on FFAs.

30-player F-Zero races with spectator mode and Salty Bet integration. Redline anyone?

blamite

Woooooooow this is really good!

If only you could play Virtual Console games on the gamepad while watching streams on the TV this would be absolutely perfect.

El Sloth

Banned
How are you guys getting the browser to play the video? My brother says the video is all black with a play button in the middle that has a big slash accross it. He says he presses it and nothing happens.

Siegmeyer

How are you guys getting the browser to play the video? My brother says the video is all black with a play button in the middle that has a big slash accross it. He says he presses it and nothing happens.

I get the same but then the slash disappears after a few seconds and you're good to go.

Kunan

Holy shit it works now?! This is seriously gamechanging for me. I love watching streams, but would like to offload them to my TV leaving me free to do other things on my computer or watch from the couch.

Also I've just learned of the existence of salty bet.

EDIT: WTF HIS MOVES LOL

Exile20

This shit works great. Watching the dota 2 tournament now. Amazing. Just wow. So smooth. Honestly this could be a gamechanger.

VariantX

Bah the stream is way behind the pc stream can't bet with that , good try though wii u.

It's the price paid for smoother performance probably. I almost watch twitch exclusively on my xbox now. If the chat functionality works on the wii u, it'd be the superior experience on the consoles currently out right now though.

Fuck yes! One last reason to hook up my pc to TV. I was already using wii u as the perfect giant bomb device.

I actually am fairly impressed with the video output of the wii u for Internet stuff. I might have an untrained eye, but it's better than video on ps3 which was already ahead of the Xbox by a mile.

Boo. Still no luck with past streams.

This is awesome and definitely new (I had tried as recently as last Saturday).

Unfortunately my wifi doesn't seem to cut it for the highest quality video. Has anyone found a way to change the video quality down like you can on the desktop?

Top Bottom