• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption Official thread of HOLY FREAKING CRAP

Nicko

CURRENTLY A RUMOR

Metroid sold over 400,000 units in first week

go nintendo dot com (can't post link for some reason)

Umm, holy freaking a! If this is true, then it is pretty much guaranteed we will get more hardcore-oriented games for Wii!! Heck YEA!!!

jman2050

Just beat the game.

GOTY so far, and by a country mile. The wiimote aiming adds so much to the game it's ridiculous, and Retro was able to utilize it greatly. You can really feel the progression of your skills as you move along.
I struggled mightily against the boss of Brryo (Moreglath was it?) because of my inability to aim at his weakpoints consistently, but by the end of the game I was able to snipe even the smallest enemies and targets at will.

I'll expound on the game tomorrow, I'll just say that it's the best Prime game yet, and one of the best games of the year.

BTW, my final time was 11:42 with 81% on Veteran.

Sharp

Nicko said:
CURRENTLY A RUMOR

Metroid sold over 400,000 units in first week

********** dot com (can't post link for some reason)

Umm, holy freaking a! If this is true, then it is pretty much guaranteed we will get more hardcore-oriented games for Wii!! Heck YEA!!!
Okay, let's see. You're posting a rumor from a banned site using data from another banned site and fucking ridiculous logic to arrive at this conclusion. You don't see anything wrong with that. Am I correct so far?

(Also thus far TP > MP3 but I haven't gotten that far yet).

benjipwns

Banned
Thaedolus said:
It's a style that was in Empire Strike's Back, and continues today with shows like Battlestar Galactica. I don't know if it's a specific homage to Firefly, but I do like it...
Oh, that's right. Completely forgot. Haven't seen Empire in a long time and don't watch Battlestar. Firefly was where I first really noticed it because it was every single shot of the ship or space. Little touches like that are why I've loved this series.
Give it time. We didn't see backlash in full force for TP until January.
If anything it might get buried in Halo hype...TP was the Wii's big game against Resistance and Gears so I think people were quicker to move against it. Isn't Galaxy the big Wii game for everyone else?

missing some lore can someone tell me the name of these so that I know where to find them

lore:

Galactic Federation: Third lore

Space Pirate: Next to last

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Sharp said:
Okay, let's see. You're posting a rumor from a banned site using data from another banned site and fucking ridiculous logic to arrive at this conclusion. You don't see anything wrong with that. Am I correct so far?

(Also thus far TP > MP3 but I haven't gotten that far yet).
sorry man, I enjoyed TP a lot back then (and still do actually) and I have defended whenever I could but it doesnt come close to MP3 in any way.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
As some of you know I have written & brainstormed several "fanfic" for the Metroid universe and I've always stayed true to the orignal 3 stories (Metroid, II & Super) without going too far. The main sources I have for this are of course the original instruction booklet stories & enemy descriptions...as well as the official Manga/comic stories.

With the Prime series (taking place between I & II) it's stayed consistant, but as some of you are worried about the timeline of Metroid Dread being after the Prime series & before II it seems to have *dragged* the story/universe of the Metroid series without letting it grow beyond Super & Fusion. Particularly, I don't like how Phazon is such a focus in the series while the *true threat* (the Metroids) seem secondary.

Reading the instructions yet again to refresh my memory of the original story in Metroid II it says:

---Samus, by order of the Galactic Federal Police, successfully and singlehandedly penetrated the space pirates' natural fortress on the planet Zebes. After a series of intense battles, Samus destroyed all the Metroids she encountered. Her destruction of the reactivated Mother Brain at the center of the fortress crushed the pirates' evil plans.---

These were the events that led up to Metroid II...it implies and justifies the Prime series as it suggests there was plenty of battles AFTER the initial fight on Zebes (in Metroid). Also it says that the "Mother Brain" was "reactivated" but then destroyed again by Samus (in Metroid Prime 3) before Metroid II even took place. So yes...in between Metroid & Metroid II there was a lot going on...you have to imagine that YES, the Metroid's were the true threat, but that especially in the wrong hands (Mother Brain/Ridley/Space Pirates/The Ing/Dark Samus (who is Metroid Prime) and thusly the Phazon threat had to be dealt with too since they augmented & mutated Metroid's in a volitile way) the Metroid's had to be dealt with accordingly.

If you were the Space Pirates and you had a master weopon (the Metroid's) would you put them all on one place/planet...or would you multiply it and hide it in several locations so as to always be one step ahead? Or maybe they just kept going back to SR388 to get more...who knows? But in each game in the Metroid & Prime iterations...and even later in Fusion it seems that either the Pirates or the Federation are keeping a secret stash of Metroid's somewhere just when Samus thinks she has gotten rid of them all. It would make sense for Samus (if it was her goal to eliminate the Metroid threat) to first get rid of all traces of them around the galaxy (in between Metroid & Metroid II) THEN go to their homeworld and destroy the source of them (the Queen).

Going into Super Metroid they state the last Metroid is in captivity...but that doesn't explain fully their existance in Metroid Fusion...what we know best about it is that the federation (not the Pirates this time) were keeping that secret from the Galaxy...which lays down an interesting plotline of a triangle of power (pirates<>feds<>hunters) in the Metroid Universe. Metroid Dread could totally be the set-up for this...Samus questioning the Federation itself, and her involvment with them.

I'm sure the story for these games was never thought out like that as Nintendo has always left a huge amount of mystery to a lot of their characters (for instance, not giving a voice to Samus or Link) so that players feel they are these characters and leave the loopholes up to their imaginations. In my imagination Samus is a person who has a deep reason beyond money/revenge for what she does and that she prefers to do these missions alone and that even before Metroid's were discovered she made a name for herself as such a warrior without the help of the federation and beyond just mere revenge against the space pirates.

Sharp

Error said:
sorry man, I enjoyed TP a lot back then (and still do actually) and I have defended whenever I could but it doesnt come close to MP3 in any way.
I think I must have yet to get to the best parts of MP3. It's a great game but it's not blowing me out of the water like some games have in the past.

Edit: Also I can't believe how much some of you are worrying about the plot here.

Sharp said:
I think I must have yet to get to the best parts of MP3. It's a great game but it's not blowing me out of the water like some games have in the past.

Edit: Also I can't believe how much some of you are worrying about the plot here.

because we love metroid and don't want metroid to become like zelda where the storylines have no relation between each game

Sharp

RENESISfreak said:
because we love metroid and don't want metroid to become like zelda where the storylines have no relation between each game
I honestly wouldn't mind that. I don't really care about the storyline in Metroid to nearly the same extent as I do that of Zelda.

Sharp said:

Did TP really blow you out of the water, though? Seriously? It was a totally by-the-numbers spiritual successor to OoT.

Edit: the best aspect of TP was Midna. Everything else was pretty routine for a Zelda game.

Thaedolus

Sharp said:
I honestly wouldn't mind that. I don't really care about the storyline in Metroid to nearly the same extent as I do that of Zelda.

Metroid started with a coherent storyline, though, while Zelda had one for maybe two games before it all went to shit. Yeah, there are theories on how all the games fit together, but it's never tied up like Metroid > Metroid II > Metroid III > Metroid IV. The Prime trilogy is a coherent sub unit. If at all possible, Nintendo needs to keep the overall storyline intact.

I think some of it came unraveled a bit with the Prime games, for example, when you have Metroids all over the fucking place when originally their homeworld was SR388 and the Pirates transported them to Zebes. After Metroid II, there was only supposed to be one left. Hopefully it's explained how they go from everywhere to just SR388 again

Sharp

Vyse The Legend said:
Did TP really blow you out of the water, though? Seriously? It was a totally by-the-numbers spiritual successor to OoT.

Edit: the best aspect of TP was Midna. Everything else was pretty routine for a Zelda game.
No it didn't, except for some holy shit moments later in the game. But so far I haven't really had any such moments in MP3 except maybe the
Ridley battle down the shaft
and I already knew about that from previews long ago. Plus, TP was still an awesome expansive game with a huuuuge overworld, and exploration is the number one thing I love about games. I don't really mind the by-the-numbers bit as OoT is my second-favorite game ever and more OoT is welcome in my book!

Rindain

Banned
I read on another board (blasphemy, I know) that there is a special event voucher given if you
keep shooting one of the eyeballs in the Leviathan (where you enter the Pirate Code). It's called "Leviathan Humiliated".

Has anyone tried this?

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
after beating
ridley
, i have to say i'm mildly disappointed that every boss to this point of the game
has taken place in what is ostensibly the same environment.

as much as retro gets heralded for its environmental design, surely this could have been rectified

AniHawk said:
Give it time. We didn't see backlash in full force for TP until January.

I dont understand backlash at all, who plays a game, thinks its excellent, then a month later chages their mind. Do we have people that are just lying to themselves when they play something. If the game is excellent now, its excellent later.

As for TP vs. MP3, I give the nod to TP but then again I generally enjoy the Zelda structure more than the Metroid structure. But its basically choosing between two super models or something, you can't lose either way.

beelzebozo said:
after beating
ridley
, i have to say i'm mildly disappointed that every boss to this point of the game
has taken place in what is ostensibly the same environment.

as much as retro gets heralded for its environmental design, surely this could have been rectified

Yep that bothered me a bit as well. Gave me a bit of Hunters vibe, but at least fights were varied enough.

Rindain

Banned
TP has a backlash because it brought nothing really new to the series (besides Midna).

Corruption brought the well-implemented Wii controls, using the ship, multiple planets, NPC interaction, a more cinematic presentation, voice acting, special event vouchers, etc.

I don't think we'll be seeing a backlash, or at least not one nearly as big as the TP backlash.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
why are we comparing TP to MP3 anyway? completely different games

MP3>>>>>>>>TP

Rindain said:
TP has a backlash because it brought nothing really new to the series (besides Midna).

Corruption brought the well-implemented Wii controls, using the ship, multiple planets, NPC interaction, a more cinematic presentation, voice acting, special event vouchers, etc.

I don't think we'll be seeing a backlash, or at least not one nearly as big as the TP backlash.

The whole pacing of TP was new, the storytelling was just as improved as it was in MP3, new wolf mechanics, plenty of new items, Zelda TP added as many "new" aspects to the series as MP3 did.

Sharp

MiamiWesker said:
The whole pacing of TP was new, the storytelling was just as improved as it was in MP3, new wolf mechanics, plenty of new items, Zelda TP added as many "new" aspects to the series as MP3 did.
I disagree. Prime 3 is very different from traditional Metroid games, much moreso than TP is different from traditional Zelda games, while apparently Prime and Prime 2 were not.

Sharp said:
I disagree. Prime 3 is very different from traditional Metroid games, much moreso than TP is different from traditional Zelda games, while apparently Prime and Prime 2 were not.

I feel Prime 2 is the weird one of the bunch. Prime 3 is a return to Prime 1 form with better action but IMO not as good exploration factor if you get what i mean. If you are comparing them to the 2D ones, thats a bit different, things change when you jump from 2D to 3D, Prime definetly made Metroid more Zelda like.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
RENESISfreak said:
what intricate storyline is there in zelda...there is none

Not to go off topic, but I've always considered the world of Zelda to be thousands of years old with every so & so generation there being a new "legend"...the story remains the same through the different legends or worlds, but things like Link, Zelda & the tri-Force remain the same. They've tried to put a timeline on Zelda, but it doesn't matter as much in that franchise 'cos not all of them are chronalogically connected like that...as I said they're just different generations of the same legend.

My ultimate Zelda contain multiple generations within one game with different Link's, Zelda's & Gannon's in different versions of Hyrule. The idea is that you can see them in all these different ways (like an elvin child Link, a village sage elder Link, a teenaged shepherd Link, a lumberjack woodsman Link or even a jousting knight prince Link, a darkworld transformed bunny Link, etc.) and that you would fall in & out of these different versions at certain times leading up to the climax ending in where all the versions of Link battle all the versions of Gannon (a wizard, a king of theives, a dark knight, Gannon the pig, etc.). that'd be my ideal Zelda.

Back to Metroid...
My ideal Metroid game would be, as some have stated, where Samus is somehow conflicted or an enemy of the federation. They hire other space hunters to get her...they want her Metroid DNA, she finds out there's a sinister problem in the federations government...that'd be great. Multiple planets is deffinatly cool...more added space travel/ship stuff (and not just remote comand). Also...I like this idea for all types of games...having a mix of 2D & 3D in the same game...idea being that the wide open spaces would be large 3D areas while the 2D areas would be long shafts & corridors/cave systems that connect the larger areas together for the oldschool appeal. Time travel would be a cool element too. Basically I've always imagined that the main power suit Samus has is just a Chozo suit that is upgraded throughout the series for different conditions...having a Zebesian-based suit (with a sheild, claw & blade weopons system) or even an Earth-based suit (with heavier armor & 2 arm cannon's) would be cool.

Rindain

Banned
MiamiWesker said:

I guess MP3 just felt "fresher" to me than Zelda: TP

Zelda is an incredible game too, of course, but I think for some reason most people didn't find it as fresh feeling as MP3.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
Done. 15:55, 84% complete. No desire to go back though the harder modes and the ending was boring, but otherwise amazing. A++. Would Play Again!

Evlar

Banned
MiniDitka said:
G*d Dammit! I'm about ready to throw my F****n controller through my TV! I can't kill that purple bitch to save my life. I've hit her with everything possible and still nothing.
After she stops mimicking Samus, if you can get to that point, she'll start warping in and out between visible and invisible. She always makes the same motion when she switches, a kind of bow and hand movements. When she turns invisible switch to the X-Ray visor and keep hitting her with your beam cannon (missiles work too I guess). When she makes that bowing movement immediately switch back- you won't have much time before the X-Ray goes completely to static. If you do this you can keep her in view at all times, dodge her attacks, and keep a constant barrage of fire on her. It's also possible that she's susceptible to Hyper Mode when she's visible in this last stage of the battle: I didn't use it myself because I was worried about my health bar but that may speed things up.

Finally bought it today and put about three hours and some change into it, up to
the boss fight with the Space Pirate and his mount on Bryyo

Wow. So far it's blowing Echoes away in terms of design, art, music (SOUNDTRACK OR RIP PLEASE), everything. The original Prime holds a pretty soft spot in my heart though, whether it can unseat that is TBD. Only one class tomorrow, so I'll definitely dig in more. Can't wait. :D

Sharp

My ideal Metroid has already been made but that doesn't mean I don't want more Metroid so bring on the crazy ideas!

Tristam

Sharp said:
My ideal Metroid has already been made but that doesn't mean I don't want more Metroid so bring on the crazy ideas!

I think you'll love the last area in Corruption. :)

It's easily the weirdest environment (with some of the weirdest aliens) I've ever seen in any Metroid game.

Vyer

The first Seed boss was something of a pain in the ass. Kinda tedious.

Everything else so far is aces though. Skytown is gorgeous.

I need to get in on the voucher thing. I added a couple people who PM'd me and added AniHawk and am about to add Great Dave...but no one is showing up on my list yet. :(

I want a bobblehead dammit.

aeolist

Banned
Let me just say that the fetch quest at the end is not bad at all. I had 5 of the
cells
just from normal progression through the game, it's impossible to get through without picking them up, and the other two I needed took me all of an hour to get.

RENESISfreak said:

Junior, OoT, MM, TP and TWW are heavily related to each other. The other zelda games not so much, but dont make up crap.

And i love the Metroid-story.

Top Bottom