• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSX (2012) was really a missed opportunity...

2012 is too fast-paced for an SSX game. It plays like NFS on snow.

SSX 3 nailed it. I really hope they revisit the game in that style next gen.

You guys realize this is a common trend with EA this gen and returning franchises not BF or sports games turning to shit right?

A few examples:

Def Jam FFNY, an amazing classic aki fighting/wrestling game. was turned to shit with Def Jam Icon which was a slugglish piece of poop filled with gimmicks.

NBA Street Vol 2/3 are classics while NBA street homecoming was just bargain bin quality.

NFS MW05/Carbon turning to shit with Undercover and every game since then except maybe Hot Pursuit.
well def jam was also made by aki-team (they also made no mercy) while icon was made by a rookie team.

nowadays aki team makes this game btw.
Style_Savvy_Trendsetters_%28NA%29.jpg

kinda makes sense if you think about all the CAW modes.

ScOULaris

I agree on all counts, OP. It seems like SSX3 will forever remain the peak of the series given SSX (2012)'s poor sales. The real shame is that I doubt EA will ever care to look into why it sold poorly despite the series' former popularity. From a business standpoint it was a failed reboot, so the series is likely to be shelved again indefinitely. But from a creative standpoint it was really the fault of the designers for not playing to the series' strengths and marketing it to longtime fans as a true successor to SSX3/Tricky's legacy.

The fact that they didn't even include traditional synchronous racing out the gate and did away with split-screen play altogether clearly shows that their focus was in the wrong place when designing this game. Between that and the gimmicky survival elements, it was like the developers just completely lost sight of what made SSX so much fun in its prime.

That's not to say that SSX (2012) was a terrible game. It's still the best snowboarding game to come out this gen, but it was a missed opportunity to revive a long-missed franchise.

I really missed the characters and rivalries in Tricky. Racing and not getting near someone because they'd probably knock your ass over. Or knocking your enemy over and getting a full boost.

Cheddahz

Banned
700k more than deserved.
Basically

That's not to say that SSX (2012) was a terrible game. It's still the best snowboarding game to come out this gen, but it was a missed opportunity to revive a long-missed franchise.

That's not really a hard title to earn when the only snowboarding games that came out were Amped 3, Shaun White Snowboarding, and Stoked

Amped 3 is still my favorite snowboarding game to come out this gen

Wynnebeck

Banned
So disappointed with this game. Hell, even the mediocre On Tour was a better game than SSX 2012. I'm still shocked SSX3 hasn't been put on PSN.

soultron

Banned
One Step Ahead, y'all. Shit's intense. I wonder how many death pit haters even finished that track.

One of my favourites in the game.

glow

Banned
I loved SSX 3 and Tricky and I loved SSX 2012. Yeah Africa sucked but that's no reason to dismiss the whole game. Death pits and no invisible walls bordering cliffs is part of what made the game fun. And if you don't dig trial and error, use rewind or learn the trails. I thought the game walked a good line between realism and SSX craziness. It's too bad that EA will probably drop the franchise.

I would pay plenty of monies for an PS4 HD port of the PS2 SSX games. Why won't they make this happen?

And yes SSX 2012 is steaming pile of turd.

700k more than deserved.
While that may be the case, do understand that any sort of combination of SSX, Tricky, 3, On Tours or Blur would have done INFINITELY worse this day and age. There's pretty much no way they would have come close to making their money back.

It's not a coincidence that extreme sports, as a whole, died at the halfway point of this generation.

Grisby

First snowboarding game for me since 1080 on the n64. I liked it but there so many death pits and I felt like they got on the way of my enjoyment of the game.

And f that last boss. Neve have beat him.

Top Bottom