• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

There is little to no correlation between wealth and having access to the internet.

My friends parents live in one of the most expensive parts of the UK, in a HUGE house etc and the best internet they can get is 0.5mbps. Fucked up. A gamer wanting a modern console living down that street would be screwed.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I think the phrase we're looking for is concern trolling.
Do you really think this an ideal implementation that anyone should be endorsing? Baseline functionality for every game console that has come before it is OTOB plug and play gaming. How does this improve upon that baseline functionality in any way?

Also, I don't get why it was impossible for them to get at least basic functionally into the production software since their 180 in May.

Clockwork5

Do you really think this an ideal implementation that anyone should be endorsing? Baseline functionality for every game console that has come before it is OTOB plug and play gaming. How does this improve upon that baseline functionality in any way?

Way to reach for the top. Have fun hanging out with that "baseline" functionality of any system released after 2005...

He is full of ish. There is a direct correlation. So much so that it is an acceptable substitute variable for wealth in applicable studies. (much like level of education).

So he just made that statistic up?

Okay never mind. Just looked at his post history. He obviously has an agenda.

Caayn

Oh I don't know maybe a little kid has been saving money for years in preparation of this day. Maybe that kids parents don't buy Internet because poor or old fashioned. Poor kid is screwed.
So the kid as a TV with HDMI support and €499 of savings, but there's absolutely no internet connection whatsoever? Why do I not believe such a setting.

keuja

screenshot2013-11-0816csxf.png

I'm glad you took the time to take a screenshot and host the image. Too bad it doesn't really answer the question.
The article says it requires a day 1 patch. It doesn't say exactly for what nor states that the xbone can do nothing witthout it.

pompidu

Never heard of any device that is completely unusuable out of the box. Embarrassing. Cant even watch a bluray disc.

ClearData

You can't play games on a game console without a day 1 update. For all the flack Sony is getting over the 300mb update they at least got that one right.

Dragon

Banned
I'm glad you took the time to take a screenshot and host the image. Too bad it doesn't really answer the question.
The article says it requires a day 1 patch. It doesn't say exactly for what nor states that the xbone can do nothing witthout it.

Albert Penello says in the article when pressed that the Xbox can do "nothing" without it.

Let me tell you a story.

My friend owns a bar. He had a private party and asked me to rent a movie to play on his PS3 hooked up to his projector. I rented Men In Black 3 Bluray. We put it in his PS3 and it wouldn't play. We had to download an update first but he doesn't have wifi at his bar. I ended up having to get a movie on DVD.

In conclusion, it's 2013, get an internet connection.

The Xbox One does not ship with an OS. The end.

Clockwork5

So he just made that statistic up?

Okay never mind. Just looked at his post history. He obviously has an agenda.

It does depend on the population you study... If you are looking at middle class to upper class, then no, you really can't tell where someone is on that spectrum based on their internet accessibility once you add people who are on the poorer end of the spectrum, there is a definite statistical significance. (stats minor here and used internet accessibility as a variable in a study of voter trends)

besada

Banned

I don't think it's ideal, but I also don't think it's a big deal for the vast majority of users. I'm probably the wrong person for you to discuss this with, as I don't actually care if people without internet connections can play the XB1 or not, and wasn't particularly bothered by the product before they did the 180.

As to "baseline functionality" of game consoles, I don't really give a shit about that either. This console, coming out now, was designed to be used with an internet connection. If you don't have one, or don't want a connected box, buy a PS4 or a WiiU.

Once upon a time, consoles didn't require HD TVs to not look like shit. Now they do. Things change. If you don't like the changes, no one is requiring you to support them.

w00zey

LOL only gaf will bring up old information just to make the xbox look bad. I <3 you people because you make me practice patience and acceptance.

A least with PS4 you will be able to play a game while it updates in the background. Nothing worse than waiting for 15 minutes before you can use your new console on launch day.

pompidu

LOL only gaf will bring up old information just to make the xbox look bad. I <3 you people because you make me practice patience and acceptance.

I was under the impression that you couldnt play games without the update. this is saying it can do nothing. was there confirmation before that it could do nothing?

Clockwork5

I don't think it's ideal, but I also don't think it's a big deal for the vast majority of users. I'm probably the wrong person for you to discuss this with, as I don't actually care if people without internet connections can play the XB1 or not, and wasn't particularly bothered by the product before they did the 180.

As to "baseline functionality" of game consoles, I don't really give a shit about that either. This console, coming out now, was designed to be used with an internet connection. If you don't have one, or don't want a connected box, buy a PS4 or a WiiU.

Once upon a time, consoles didn't require HD TVs to not look like shit. Now they do. Things change. If you don't like the changes, no one is requiring you to support them.

As a proud owner of a wiiu (i really do love it)I would prefer a bricked x1 to the mess that is "baseline" Wii u.

Caayn

I was under the impression that you couldnt play games without the update. this is saying it can do nothing. was there confirmation before that it could do nothing?
No, from the first time that this update was announced Microsoft has always said that this update is "required".

cripterion

I disagree, it's easy to get lost between the shit threads made by haters and the real deal. I for one didn't know about this, I can live with that but I can't sit here and say this stuff doesn't matter.
Also the fact that they are working on this till the last minute isn't reassuring either cause you never know what issues or bugs might crop up in the latest revision.

Ocaso

Similar case.

Not similar at all. The PS4 patch is predominantly for online features, but its main purpose, namely playing games, remains intact offline, so people without immediate broadband access can still play their SP campaigns. On Xbone you've essentially bought a brick if you don't have online access, unless the Day 1 patch was added to the game discs.

komaruR

This basically mean the graphic smoothness (reviews, etc) on games like cod ghost, bf4 are run on dev units?
Still have to see how well the retail unit runs in performance wise

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Way to reach for the top. Have fun hanging out with that "baseline" functionality of any system released after 2005...
I'll reach for what I can as opposed to digging deeper into the muck. I appreciate there's a certain tradeoff here for modern systems with network connectivity but hardware that's essentially bricked in the most fundamental way possible without a day 1 patch is simply not competent system design. Why would you endorse that?
If you don't like the changes, no one is requiring you to support them.
See above. Change is fine, specifically change that results in actual progress - i.e. build on what works and improve it.

Simply trying fob this off as concern trolling is inappropriately dismissive.

Klocker

So what.

I expect and hope for many many updates to the system starting day one and through its lifetime, making improvements.

The days of static offline electronic devices ended with PS1

This basically mean the graphic smoothness (reviews, etc) on games like cod ghost, bf4 are run on dev units?

The update is related to changes that need to be made to the OS after the DRM 180, it's not a performance update.

pompidu

No, from the first time that this update was announced Microsoft has always said that this update is "required".

so nobody questioned what the system is capable of doing without this update? just seems very odd that you cant watch a bluray without this update.

keuja

Albert Penello says in the article when pressed that the Xbox can do "nothing" without it.

Yeah I know.
I was just responding to all the people acting like it's been well known for months that the X1 could do literally nothing without the day 1 patch when it was actually never explicitly stated ( as far as I know) until the article posted in the OP.
Anyways I dont give a shit actually, not planning to get a Xbone.

Aretak

Yeah, I noticed all those horrible anti-Xbox sites like Engadget and IGN have this story on their front pages too. When will this unjustified FUD war against poor Microsoft end?!

Same box if microsoft is to be believed they said every retail unit can act as an debug unit.
Have they disclosed how big the patch size is?

Top Bottom