• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

who said you need to open the box? just ship a bunch of discs in cheap sleeves and hand them out if people require them.

Costs a lot of money, and there is no way that MS would be able to ship them to every retail location in time. Both Sony and MS drop the consoles at the retail distribution centers and let them handle the distribution. PS4s are already enroute to the retail locations and the DVDs with the patch would have already had to be printed a few weeks ago.

Its just not logistically feasible.

b0neshank

Banned
MS really needs to have an official disc they can hand out on the launch day with this already on it. I understand the need for a patch, but if it is the 1.3gb I have seen rumors for....that is going to be brutal for some people.

I played Diablo 3 at launch; time zones didn't matter, I couldn't even get logged in.

Problems are always going to happen when you have millions of people trying to connect at once. I imagine the problems will be amplified as they're all trying to download a mandatory update.
I wouldn't really say the amount of people buying the Xbox One (and downloading the update at once, and same with PS4) will be millions. :p Maybe 2.5 Million at best. With probably half of that downloading the update at Midnight (for their TimeZone). For example, in America, Eastern will go first. Probably a couple Hundred Thousand. They should be done in 30 minutes top. Most of them will be done by the end of the hour, and what time Central will go, repeat for Mountain and Pacific.

I don't have any problems downloading 50 MB updates for Call of Duty at midnight, and there ARE millions at that moment.

Good thing everyone in the world is downloading on a set schedule.

Come on man.
Its not a set schedule, it's just that's how it works. Everyone is an hour ahead, they just have to deal with the Hundred or so thousand in their area, instead of dealing with millions all at once. Some will be done at Midnight, and then the rest of the day will be random, but should still be maintainable.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I played Diablo 3 at launch; time zones didn't matter, I couldn't even get logged in.

Problems are always going to happen when you have millions of people trying to connect at once. I imagine the problems will be amplified as they're all trying to download a mandatory update.
Don't compared MS's online infrastructure with ActivisionBlizzard's. They're in an entirely different ballpark.

What was Apple like with iOS7? That would be a better idea of how it will play out.

1.3 gb huh, well i'll be sweating when i try to download the update, this is gonna be wii u all over again, i was so scared i was gonna brick the system lol

:/

whitehawk

Banned
This is going to make headlines. I can see many people just putting their games in hoping to play, and finding out they can't. Especially so if they have no internet.

Used-ID

Just to make things clear:

Company sells an item then cannot be used either for its primary purpose, or secondary ones, out of the box.

People defend this.

People are stupid.
...or are lousy at astroturfing.

MS really needs to have an official disc they can hand out on the launch day with this already on it. I understand the need for a patch, but if it is the 1.3gb I have seen rumors for....that is going to be brutal for some people.

I might be brutal for people with good ISPs. I don't remember MS ever having trouble with people getting patches but this is a special case. the 22nd might prove to be a clusterfuck

what MS and Sony should to us allow us to pre-download our patches so we're not all hammering their servers day one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Double standards, wow.

The PS4 can't do much out of the box either without an update. But far fewer people were complaining about that in that respective thread. The PS4 can't even play a bluray without the update!!!

And people saying, yes but the PS4 can play games out of the box. Well so you're telling me that you won't be updating your PS4 immediately? You'll play all the games first? Sure, if the games you're playing don't require an update before playing!

Mountain out of a molehill indeed

PS4 can play games.
You can download the update onto a USB stick and use that - so download at work, or at Starbucks or something.
Sony will send you a disc if you want one.

Xbox does nothing without Internet.

MS could have at least patched it to allow updates from USB or disc

Company sells an item then cannot be used either for its primary purpose, or secondary ones, out of the box.

People defend this.

People are stupid.

The product of pre-launch strategy shift. But hey, defend everything by referencing cell phones, Steams, the Third Reich, etc.

People defend this.

People are stupid.
or people understand that the product, at launch, is directed for a market that has Internet available. I'm sure the Day One Patch will start being included on the system within a few months, just now, it needs to be downloaded. Lets be honest, who is buying a system at launch, but doesn't have Internet?

Although I agree it's a shitty thing, and Microsoft/Gamestop/BestBuy BETTER be up front to people and say "The PS4 and Xbox One both require Internet Connection to download a mandatory update. Are you capable of downloading an update?" Don't want people to get fucked over and buy something they can't use because they weren't aware.

Don't compared MS's online infrastructure with ActivisionBlizzard's. They're in an entirely different ballpark.

What was Apple like with iOS7? That would be a better idea of how it will play out.
http://www.businessinsider.com/cant-download-ios-7-2013-9
Apple just released its new software for iPhones and iPads, iOS 7.
However, we're seeing scattered reports on Twitter and elsewhere that the update isn't going through for a lot of people.

Some people are getting messages that the download has failed. Others are getting messages that the update isn't available yet. Still others are complaining about very slow download times.
I couldn't download it for the first day; I ended up waiting till the day after and it still took a few tries.

Ouroboros

They should have the update on their site a week before the console comes out so users can put it on a USB drive and install it. Boom no download time wait. You're welcome MS

Slayven

All this tells me is there will be tons of open box specials on XBones after Christmas. A lot of people will not put up with that shit and take it back with a quickness.

Oppo

People defend this.

People are stupid.

Apple TV

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I wonder if any launch games on PS4 or XB1 have the day one patches patch on the disk.

Dopeyfish is a longtime MS plant and says it's not possible.

BibiMaghoo

Sony are offering discs with the day one update on, to those that have no internet connection. They just need to call up CS and ask.

Can MS not offer this? Pretty sure the cost would be minimal.

Ishan

err people saying they can handle 1 million easily because they have 70 million 360s out there need to realize. 1 its not a 1 gb patch everytime the 360 updates. Also not every 360 tries to update around the same day/time frame. There is a reason launches are more problematic. Its everyone trying it together.

commedieu

Banned
They should really just mass-ship the discs to pre-orders and retail stores. Like AOL discs, that have the patch. I have a feeling this is to get people to sign up for XBL though, so thats a solution to a problem MS isn't considering.

Day 1 anything online is always bad, why is everyone forgetting this.

Akai__

I still don't understand, why this isn't installed from the beginning. They had plenty of time, when they did the 180. They could do the upclocks too in that time.

statham

All this tells me is there will be tons of open box specials on XBones after Christmas. A lot of people will not put up with that shit and take it back with a quickness.

and PS4 when they try to play 'a christmas story' dvd while timmy unwraps gifts and nothing happens. returns it as defective.

I am always open for the possibility of Day One patches. Because it just gives devs more time instead of releasing an unfinished software under pressure.

However, it is not ok to sell a product that is virtually worthless unless you download a 1+ GB patch. I believe, even though some people in here are already conviced that they won't, that Microsoft also will make the update available for download on the net and patchable via USB or another smart customer "friendly" solution.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
They should really just mass-ship the discs to pre-orders and retail stores. Like AOL discs, that have the patch. I have a feeling this is to get people to sign up for XBL though, so thats a solution to a problem MS isn't considering.

Day 1 anything online is always bad, why is everyone forgetting this.

If it has the original, online-required OS, then maybe it simply doesn't support updates from disc, as it assumes it'll have free access to the Internet?

That'd be shortsighted but possible. Just because you have Internet, doesn't mean you have fast Internet. A 1-2GB update can be painful

Wynnebeck

Banned
or people understand that the product, at launch, is directed for a market that has Internet available. I'm sure the Day One Patch will start being included on the system within a few months, just now, it needs to be downloaded. Lets be honest, who is buying a system at launch, but doesn't have Internet?

Although I agree it's a shitty thing, and Microsoft/Gamestop/BestBuy BETTER be up front to people and say "The PS4 and Xbox One both require Internet Connection to download a mandatory update. Are you capable of downloading an update?" Don't want people to get fucked over and buy something they can't use because they weren't aware.

Sweet Billy, is that you?

Slayven

and PS4 when they try to play 'a christmas story' dvd while timmy unwraps gifts and nothing happens. returns it as defective.

And completely forget that 19 dollar blu ray player they knocked an old lady out for at Walmart on Black Friday?

Perkel

Banned
All those people downloading update day 1

What can go wrong ?

Can't they just put it in games like ps3 games did it ?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
err people saying they can handle 1 million easily because they have 70 million 360s out there need to realize. 1 its not a 1 gb patch everytime the 360 updates. Also not every 360 tries to update around the same day/time frame. There is a reason launches are more problematic. Its everyone trying it together.

Time zones man, time zones.

Time zones have no bearing on this matter what-so-ever

I love how people are equating playing movies to playing games on gaming consoles. Good lord.

I expect this to have the PS4 FW 1.5 soon. MS should do the same
xa85.png

Both companies customer service hotlines are gonna be busy on Xmas day.

All the parents buying these for their kids and ignoring the instructions.

Mung

FFS it should at least be able to play games.
This is a clusterfuck waiting to happen.
Why do they put themselves in these positions? I don't understand how the DRM reversal, which happened a long time ago now, can't be put into the initial firmware.

Flo_Evans

Costs a lot of money, and there is no way that MS would be able to ship them to every retail location in time. Both Sony and MS drop the consoles at the retail distribution centers and let them handle the distribution. PS4s are already enroute to the retail locations and the DVDs with the patch would have already had to be printed a few weeks ago.

Its just not logistically feasible.

What? How is it possible to ship out millions of game discs but a patch disk is impossible?

Top Bottom