• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One practically unusable without day one update

who cares? the update is there day one, so no one has to use it in its "unusable" state

I care - if you have to sit through it for an hour. It really was a downer for me and the Wii U. I was so excited upon the machine being delivered, but after hooking it up and then having to wait for about an hour I was so deflated I nearly didnt bother actually proceeding and firing up Nintendo Land.

I think the first initial user experience is pretty damn important. I mean the Wii first play was incredible!

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Lets be honest, who is buying a system at launch, but doesn't have Internet?
Still not the point. You buy a game console, you buy a game with a big, standalone, single-player component like Ryse or Forza has - why does the internet have to be involved at all in just getting to play those games? Worse, why is it actually a deterrent?

I mean seriously, what's the first thing you want to do with brand new console hardware, see how much better the games look and play, or see how well it downloads files?

Statham said:
and PS4 when they try to play 'a christmas story' dvd while timmy unwraps gifts and nothing happens. returns it as defective.
Statham, stawp. Who's really buying a $400 or $500 device just to play DVDs or even BluRays at this point?

Valnen

Not everyone has Internet access

Someone without any internet access shouldn't be buying a next gen console. At least not at launch. That goes for the PS4 too. There's gonna be a lot of updates fixing a lot of things the next few months. It's pretty much a guarantee. For your own sanity it may be best to hold off on a purchase until everything in the OS is more finalized on both consoles.

patapuf

As far as I know, after the update you don't have to have the XBO connect. So yes, they did back away from it.

I meant that you need to connect your box to the internet, it's only once now, but you still need to do it.

If you want a (working) Xbox one, not having access to internet was never an option

and PS4 when they try to play 'a christmas story' dvd while timmy unwraps gifts and nothing happens. returns it as defective.

Honestly I expect some returns or questioning parents at gamestop because of this for PS4

That being said I expect less than XB1 parents

Sean*O

To everyone saying "old" "not news" etc.

It is news and will be news to a great number of people who have no idea their $500 console will be a brick without an internet connection. This is going to be so damned huge when people start getting these home and figure this out for the first time.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Two things are going to happen.

1. The hardcore Xbox One fans are going to buy the console and are 100% aware of the day 1 patch needed.

2. Parents who are buying their kids these consoles will for the most part in my opinion be confronted with a problem.

2 is too wide a range of reactions to predict beforehand but I have to assume CS at microsoft is going to be on fire day 1.

Jeels

I hope for PS4 at least the day one patch will easily download in the background while I play Assassins Creed or am messing around in the menus.

Valnen

Honestly I expect some returns or questioning parents at gamestop because of this for PS4

That being said I expect less than XB1 parents

Best Buy: "Geek Squad can install your firmware update for the low low price of $29.99!"

Dumb parent: "...Take my money!"

PKrockin

Someone without any internet access shouldn't be buying a next gen console. That goes for the PS4 too. There's gonna be a lot of updates fixing a lot of things the next few months. It's pretty much a guarantee.
What about me? All I've got is a mobile connection out here at my work site where I live for a week or two at a time. I can get online but I certainly can't download a 1gb patch on it with how often the connection drops. There is slow satellite wifi provided, but it's strictly work use only. You gonna tell me I shouldn't buy a next generation console?

It's not the end of the world or anything, but this is so rock-stupid and I have no idea why this issue has to exist.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I hope for PS4 at least the day one patch will easily download in the background while I play Assassins Creed or am messing around in the menus.

It's 300 MB and if you can download it off the internet onto a USB stick beforehand. Not sure why MS is not doing this (though the USB ports may not work without the update).

What about me? All I've got is a mobile connection out here at my work site where I live for a week or two at a time. I can get online but I certainly can't download a 1gb patch on it with how often the connection drops. There is slow satellite wifi provided, but it's strictly work use only. You gonna tell me I shouldn't buy a next generation console?

And it is situations like this that make me just shake my head at people who say you shouldn't buy a next-gen system. They are being fucking idiots, plain and simple.

Valnen

You gonna tell me I shouldn't buy a next generation console?
Not at launch you shouldn't.
It's not the end of the world or anything, but this is so rock-stupid and I have no idea why this issue has to exist.
Because people are expected to have an internet connection in 2013, much like people are expected to have running electricity or water. It's considered a very basic utility.

Pillville

Someone without any internet access shouldn't be buying a next gen console.

As it stands now, you're right, but that's what everyone is complaining about.

These consoles may have internet features, but we've been through 7 previous generations without internet requirements. That's what people have come to expect.
Internet should be a BONUS, not a requirement.
They are doing nothing different. They have the box hooked to TV, they have the physical disc in the box, why can't they play?

DieH@rd

Banned
Someone without any internet access shouldn't be buying a next gen console. At least not at launch. That goes for the PS4 too. There's gonna be a lot of updates fixing a lot of things the next few months. It's pretty much a guarantee. For your own sanity it may be best to hold off on a purchase until everything in the OS is more finalized on both consoles.

Bullshit. Both consoles are supporting off-line gaming [one after heavy pressure of public], and those console at least need to be FUNCTIONAL for gaming at launch.

Do we know MS is not doing this?

They haven't clarified if you could do it via USB. For those without internet, this is an option. There is always tethering which MS said back in June.

All prior updates could be done via USB so it would be odd if this one couldn't.

ced

I see the "if you don't have an internet connection you don't need to be buying a console" argument is still being used.

Talk about missing the point.

Enjoy your $500 brick in a box.

Psi

I expect launch day will be entertaining when the servers get overloaded and a bunch of people complain that they took the day off work and can't play anything.

chemicals

I'm not one to bash Microsoft, but this is unacceptable. You should be able to buy a console and a couple of disk games and go somewhere without wifi an be able to play your games.

Valnen

Bullshit. Both consoles are supporting off-line gaming [one after heavy pressure of public], and those console at least need to be FUNCTIONAL for gaming at launch.

The OS built into the console will not be finalized at launch. This is a fact. If you don't like that and can't work with it, don't buy the console.

Both consoles are functional at launch (as far as we know) if you have an internet connection, which most people buying these things at launch do.

And people saying, yes but the PS4 can play games out of the box. Well so you're telling me that you won't be updating your PS4 immediately? You'll play all the games first? Sure, if the games you're playing don't require an update before playing!

I think the bigger concern is that as we've seen with basically every major video-game related launch requiring a large amount of server capacity (Diablo 3, GTA V, Sim City, etc etc etc), every single company falls completely flat on it's face. So now we've got two massive console launches coming up where a massive flood of people are going to be simultaneously going online and demanding 1+ gig system updates, all essentially on launch day. Do we really expect the servers to be able to handle the strain? Or will be sitting with pretty black bricks on launch day, desperately trying to get the download we need?

patapuf

I see the "if you don't have an internet connection you don't need to be buying a console" argument is still being used.

Talk about missing the point.

Enjoy your $500 brick in a box.

It's not really an argument.

If you don't have internet, don't buy an Xbox one since you won't be able to use it.

And waiting a bit for the first few updates to make it into the retail boxes might be a good idea even for the PS4.

Is it shitty? yeah, but it is how it is and it won't change until launch.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Both consoles are functional at launch (as far as we know) if you have an internet connection, which most people buying these things at launch do.

And only one is functional for its primary use out of the box without an internet connection. That is the ridiculous part.

Valnen

Great advice that I plan to follow.
The problem is that most consumers won't know about this until they already bought it.

If they're buying the latest gadgets on launch day, chances are they know about it. It's mostly enthusiasts that buy these things at launch.

And only one is functional for its primary use out of the box without an internet connection. That is the ridiculous part.

Or so it's claimed. I wouldn't want to chance playing games on a half baked OS, even if they do boot up.

I believe he says the day one update is delivered on most launch game discs so even if you live in your grandma's cabin at the bottom of the ocean you don't need to have Internet access to get the update. Not sure on this though, maybe you do need Internet like they said many months ago.

This deserves at least 50 pages of hand wringing and fist shaking at our evil corporate overlords, because how dare they continue to code the OS up til the last minute and beyond.

Now lets get nostalgic about how great it was when you'd buy a Dreamcast and the OS never got updated; all you got was CD playback and you were happy and your web browser was delivered on a GD-ROM that you had to boil in hot water to get working. Ahh "the good ol' days"

VaizardNL

Banned
Seriously, this again? Don't people get tired of pulling 'bad' news from months ago and making a problem out of it? You sound like certain girls that grab stuff from ages ago during a heated discussion just so you can bitch some more even if was no longer an issue and had nothing to with the discussion at hand.

People had plenty of time to cancel their pre-orders if they thought this was such a big problem. No point in giving MS hell over something like this. Otherwise just wait till the next batch that has the patch installed.

I believe he says the day one update is delivered on most launch game discs so even if you live in your grandma's cabin at the bottom of the ocean you don't need to have Internet access to get the update.

If the OS update is available on launch game discs then this is great and honestly seems better than Sony's approach kind of

However I haven't seen it said anywhere. Can you provide a link?

I believe he says the day one update is delivered on most launch game discs so even if you live in your grandma's cabin at the bottom of the ocean you don't need to have Internet access to get the update. Not sure on this though maybe you do need Internet.

This deserves at least 50 pages of hand wringing and fist shaking at our evil corporate overlords, because how dare they continue to code the OS up til the last minute and beyond.

Now lets get nostalgic about how great it was when you'd buy a Dreamcast and the OS never got updated; all you got was CD playback and you were happy and your web browser was delivered on a GD-ROM that you had to boil in hot water to get working. Ahh "the good ol' days"

Yes, if people expect their $500-plus investment to actually function, they're clearly being disingenuous. What else could explain it such a strange, nonsense demand?

FuturusX

Thanks to the "internet" we can all enjoy half finished / working in progress / hastily modified products as early as possible.

Top Bottom