• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Console games: Physical still dominant despite growing digital market (UK MARKET)

ZhugeEX

Banned
It really comes as no surprise to those familiar with the console market that phyiscal sales at retail are still very much higher than digital sales. Unlike the PC market where the majority of sales are now digital, the UK has seen physical maintain its high market share with console games but there are some signs that digital is getting larger and larger.

According to this MCV article, GfK Chart-Track data when combined with SuperData digital estimates show that around 80% of a games sales come from the physical market. The number of digital sales is set to continue growing over the next few years though as digital download becomes more popular and viable for consumers.

It's worth noting that GfK and SuperData have very different methodologies for arriving at their final sales figures and therefore the combined sales graphs below are by no means a 100% accurate representation of each game but is able to show us a general trend with console games when it comes to physical Vs digital.

Chart-Track’s March chart, for instance, included sales up to March 26th, which means Bloodborne was only on sale for two days when the physical numbers were counted. This may explain why Bloodborne’s digital sales (which include all sales up until March 31st from SuperData) are proportionally so high.

But it still provides an insight into the scale of the move between digital and physical. Big triple-A titles such as Battlefield Hardline are primarily bought in boxes, while the split is more even for digital-first titles, such as Minecraft.

The charts below show the physical/retail split between the UK's top 8 console games for March and April. MCV plan to include digital sales in their charts moving forward and SuperData are working hard to have their digital sales charts ready for public release in Q4 2015. SuperData compile their charts based on data they collect from payment service providers and participating developers.

Screen-Shot-2015-05-28-at-16.36.28.png

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Surprised by Bloodborne ratio, can't see any benefits with Digital.
they cost more, usually £15-20 more, they are locked till day of release while everyone with physical is likely playing it already and I really don't understand the Digital Limited editions.
How is digital limited edition in anyway?

Kucan

Minecraft selling more physically than digitally is pretty surprising, considering it's just a code.

I'm old school I guess but I really really love physical copies of my games, having them in my shelves is part of what I love about gaming.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not surprised as digital prices is a rip off compare to physical, which at least has resale value compare to digital.

Compared to retail digital prices in the UK are a joke.

Considering what the user gives up for digital (ownership, ability to sell) they ought to be much cheaper

edit personally I'm glad of this situation since I'll like for physical to stay as long as possible.

Frog-fu

Banned
I actually prefer buying digital but I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices. £55 for a game six months after release that I can find on for £15 brand new on a physical disc is insulting.

Kayant

“Our UK digital console rankings are compiled based on data we collect from payment service providers and participating developers. On a monthly basis, approximately 5.1 million UK gamers spend money on digital games across all platforms and devices.”

So how would they estimate Bloodbourne numbers for example given Sony doesn't provide them data??

it'd be cool if you could somehow still get the digital aspects (not needing a disc inserted to prove you own the game) while retaining some of the physical benefits (installing more quickly from disc, cheaper retail prices, possibly some type of limited trade-in program). Some people could save some money that way and still "go digital" without having to depend on a single console storefront and not having to wait for that one storefront to drop their prices.

teehee

Kieli

#1 - Without console disk, you are at the mercy of the policy of company because you're only purchasing a license to use said content. Unless the game has online DRM.

#2 - Prices on digital do not depreciate nearly the same rate as retail.

#3 - Very poor internet infrastructure with crippled download and bandwidth limits for much of NA.

score01

I see the prices for the digital copies of games in the store and think who in their right mind would pay these prices? Obviously someone I guess else they wouldn't be so sky high.

Nzyme32

#1 - Without console disk, you are at the mercy of the policy of company because you're only purchasing a license to use said content. Unless the game has online DRM.

#3 - Very poor internet infrastructure with crippled download and bandwidth limits for much of NA.

I'd disagree with the first one. You practically still have no control even with the disc. You are entirely at the behest of the developers and publishers. Day one patches, major bug fixes, balancing issues etc etc, all change your original disc based product which can be in a state that is awful without updates. Even reviewed games end up often appear in an altered state when publicly released. On top of this there is the likelihood of components of the game going "out of service" whenever the devs or publishers decide it is not beneficial to them to keep them going. This is ever increasing as the case for retail games.

Wasp

I'm surprised digital sales are that high considering the cost of them.

Foe example right now Bloodborne is £33.95 physical or £49.99 digital. Yet 25% of people are choosing digital? That's crazy.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Well of course digital is growing. It couldn't get much smaller, and the sales help. I don't see it ever topping physical though. Consumers enjoy the freedom of reselling old games.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
why arent digital games cheaper than physical yet? Why don't they do like a steam thing and offer it at a lower price?

Edzi

As already mentioned, your first point doesn't really apply anymore, which is the primary reason I switched to all digital for my PS4. It just makes the most sense for me, since either way the games are going to fully install so physical no longer means I'm saving memory. Also, if you're buying a game day one, it usually means you get it slightly cheaper in some areas (since no tax) and you can play it earlier depending on when it unlocks. The only thing I still really miss is the collectable aspect, and having a wall full of game boxes... Though I've started to fill that void by buying collectible art/guide books instead. I've never really understood selling/trading your games in, so that was never really a factor for me. As far as download speeds go, I've never had any problems on my PS4 as of yet. I buy most games from work, and by the time I'm home they're already up and ready. If I don't buy it ahead of time, it still only takes about an hour (usually less) to be playable.

Dizzy

Banned
As others have already said, higher price and DRM. You'll pay more for digital than physical, sometimes a LOT more...and for what? You can't take it to a friends house conviniently, you get no box or anything.

For consoles I'll stick to physical games.

Nzyme32

why arent digital games cheaper than physical yet? Why don't they do like a steam thing and offer it at a lower price?

The usual guess is that it has to do with pleasing the retailers that still have the brunt of the sales. Reducing prices too far would challenge retail and risk them pulling out altogether.

sja_626

One aspect of digital games in the current gen that's often overlooked is that a digital purchase is essentially two copies of the game. This is not "game sharing" or anything dodgy. It's how they are designed to be used. We have 2 PS4s in our household and my spouse and I can both play the same game, at the same time, using our own profiles. We can even play online together.

That's worth going digital alone for me, especially for games we're both very interested in. I'd hate to have been sharing time on a Witcher 3 disk these past couple of weeks.

ZhugeEX

Banned
One aspect of digital games in the current gen that's often overlooked is that a digital purchase is essentially two copies of the game. This is not "game sharing" or anything dodgy. It's how they are designed to be used. We have 2 PS4s in our household and my spouse and I can both play the same game, at the same time, using our own profiles. We can even play online together.

That's worth going digital alone for me, especially for games we're both very interested in. I'd hate to have been sharing time on a Witcher 3 disk these past couple of weeks.

Wait... what?

This is possible?

LAM09

Can't see it changing until digital prices are cheaper than physical.

Mostly likely never, then.

Undead

Who would be stupid enough to buy digital in uk for £60?, buying digital games from the US or Canadian PS stores work out cheaper at around £38 (depending on currency rates).

ZhugeEX

Banned
Yep. The limitation is that the other people (who didn't purchase the game) will only be able to use the primary console, whereas the owner will be able to use any console. But it works well.

Ah cool.

That's good to know actually. Thanks for explaining that.

Top Bottom