• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scalebound: Controlling and switching between Drew and Thuban in combat

Many outlets have seen new footage of Scalebound behind closed doors at Gamescom 2016 and it seems that it made some people more excited for the game. They showed how you can shape your dragon to fit your playstyle (Dragon's DNA) and showed them for the first time how you can switch back and forth between Drew and Thuban to create some cool looking combo attacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H-ZUkFdUHU

I really want to see the footage.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Why are Microsoft seemingly deliberately shitting the bed with showing this game? Kamiya must be pissed.

prudislav

Sounds cool ,hope that on PC the UWP exclusivity is only timed, especially when Platinum is on such a good note with Valve

Ushay

They are probably still working on it, the last demo they showed at E3 was heavily scrutinised. So makes sense they don't want to show it yet.

Don't forget a Scorpio version is most likely in the works.

w0s

Show now: majority of neogaf in the thead "man that looks like shit and is rough."
Show later: majority of neogaf in the thread "man Microsoft is fucking this up."

I'm not sure how the majority can speak on both sides of the coin but this certainly seems like what happens.

I'm all for showing when they are ready to show. Quite honestly I'm getting tired of seeing so much of games before release.

Hopefully, after the holiday season we will start receiving proper marketing coverage with more info, not only twice year.

On topic, the possibility of controlling the dragon is soooo cool

Ushay

Show now: majority of neogaf in the thead "man that looks like shit and is rough."
Show later: majority of neogaf in the thread "man Microsoft is fucking this up."

I'm not sure how the majority can speak on both sides of the coin but this certainly seems like what happens.

I'm all for showing when they are ready to show. Quite honestly I'm getting tired of seeing so much of games before release.

Exactly, a polished games stays that way. A poor release will be stained permanently.
INSIDE took ages to release, but ended up being a great game as a result of that.

I'm ok with show when it's ready, but Platinum and Microsoft should show more interesting stuff about the game. They have to show the game's world (I think it will make people more excited) and the switching between Drew and Thuban sounds interesting and might make fans of Platinum games action games more excited.

cheesekao

Sounds cool ,hope that on PC the UWP exclusivity is only timed, especially when Platinum is on such a good note with Valve
Am I unaware of a game of theirs? When has Platinum had any working relationship with Valve unless you consider releasing their games on steam as "being on a good note with Valve"?

EDIT: Just checked and they don't so you probably meant the latter but it's still an awfully strange statement to make.

Fuck MS, i want to see that video , i dont know why are they keeping all those footage in secret, the best i've seen of scalebound whas this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFFK3BXuBo) and it's not official :/

That video was the first time I was interested in Scalebound. The E3 showings makes this look like a bland, character action game instead of the expansive open-world rpg it is (which are always the sum of their parts).

Whompa02

Last time I saw a game behind closed doors was Splatterhouse for ps3/xbox 360...not necessarily a good sign :p

Because journalists will buy this game, not gamers.

Yes. Freelance journalists that have to buy their games. Not really a market I'd be shooting for there If I was Microsoft.

Sounds like they have a pretty strict deadline for this game. Hope it's not terribly rushed.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Or the game might be in a state where if it was shown publicly people would freak out and call it shit.

This may come as a shock but if it's not ready to be shown... don't show it. Don't beat around the bush behind closed doors.

RoKKeR

Disagree with the "show the game" sentiment in this thread. Scalebound, frankly, had a terrible showing at E3; they need to go away for a while, polish and flesh out the game, and then finally bring it back to the public when it is ready to be shown.

Bringing out half-baked or poor looking demos constantly isn't doing the game any favors. I personally don't want to see anything from Scalebound until it is close to coming out.

When all is said and done, this will be another Kamiya belter. I'm pretty confident. A Dutch journo who saw this GC demo said "Forget the lacklustre E3 showing, Scalebound is the real deal." And he has a good taste in gaming.

RulkezX

Because

"It looks like shit"
"Technical mess"
"That demo was garbage"

Maybe they wanna play it safe this time.

Oh but it's OK that they can show the press in the hope of them writing positive fluff pieces ?

Is either good enough to show or is not, if it's the later then any positive impressions should be dismissed out of hand.

Loved the footage bcd and it sure made me feel PG has yet another hit

You mean another game Gaf loves but no one buys? When did they last have anything resembling a hit ?

Zeta Oni

There's quite a few articles going even more in depth than this video, for those interested.

Engadget has the most detailed impressions so far imo:

Engadget just dropped an article a few hours ago covering Scalebound at Gamescom this year, and while it is info that was revealed yesterday, it goes into a lot more detail about what was shown behind closed doors:

For starters, there are three core dragon types to consider: the "rex," a two-legged all-rounder that's been shown in most of the trailers; a stout "tank" class that shuffles around on all fours; and a "wyvern" type that's particularly agile in the air.

These sets are human-made and purchased with a currency that's picked up from fleshy foes and completing side quests. Jean Pierre Kellams, creative producer at Platinum, said you'll use these to "cover up" any remaining weaknesses that your dragon might have. Most are defense oriented, but a few will also have offensive capabilities, adding more complexity to your build.

More importantly, they look totally badass. The different armor styles include some samurai-inspired plates and a traditional, high-fantasy knight set. You can apply this armor to five different places on your dragon, and Platinum says you're free to mix and match the parts. The downside is that armor will slowly degrade in combat. If you like a particular set, you'll need to watch its durability and make repairs when necessary.

To demonstrate, Kellams showed some gameplay footage of Thuban and Drew battling a large, gorilla-type enemy in a dungeon.

Like a difficult raid in Destiny or World of Warcraft, your chances of success will improve if you have different dragon types. A wyvern can keep a boss occupied for instance, and aim for precise weak points, while a tank-type dragon takes the brunt of its most devastating attacks. Kellams says the game will ensure that you're matched with players that have chosen a different path for their dragon. Even if you team up with friends, however, you should find variety in both your dragons and the way you play.

"It's unlikely your three other friends are going to have the exact same dragon," Kellams explained. The subtle, incremental shifts that you make between the three forms should ensure that your creature is unique. "If you happen to be identical twins with very similar interests -- I suppose it's possible to hit the scenario that you're thinking of, but we want to make that a very, very rare case."

Oh but it's OK that they can show the press in the hope of them writing positive fluff pieces ?

Is either good enough to show or is not, if it's the later then any positive impressions should be dismissed out of hand.

What a load of bollocks. They can show the press because they've seen enough early builds to understand why certain parts of a game look rough and janky, when showing that same build to the public would lead to people declaring it to be shit even if the game is 12 months from release.

You mean another game Gaf loves but no one buys? When did they last have anything resembling a hit ?
Dunno I just love their output so for me it is a hit.

Tell us more!!!
It is already all over the internet but for me it just felt like their biggest project yet. They have a clear goal with the dragons and the footage I saw looked very good. It isnt your Bayonetta or Okami but I do think the world and options this game have can make it very fun. For impressions for the dragon link you are better of searching Google though. Also kamiya clearly gives a lot of love for the game when I saw him giving the presentation

Shin-chan

People saying that they shouldn't show it because it's rough and will be scrutinised... Well then why the hell did they show all the previous footage? That had poor frame rate, boring looking combat, bad animation etc yet they didn't mind showing it off then.

Hopefully there will be some official stuff put out after the press have their "exclusivity" window over the new information.

People saying that they shouldn't show it because it's rough and will be scrutinised... Well then why the hell did they show all the previous footage? That had poor frame rate, boring looking combat, bad animation etc yet they didn't mind showing it off then.

Hopefully there will be some official stuff put out after the press have their "exclusivity" window over the new information.

Maybe they gave the general public more credit than we deserve?

Still a little worried this will be another Quantum Break and not be as good as it should have been. Platinum can be hit or miss and the delay doesn't make me feel better about it either, also why not show us the progress they have made ? its not like this game is a secret now.

Menitta

This was my one concern about the gameplay. I was worried that you'd just be running around while the dragon is doing cool stuff. The fact that you can switch between the two is good.

Can't wait to see more of this game.

well because last time they showed it in public it got dragged to hell and back

Because what they showed wasn't representative of the game, if the description of this footage is accurate.

It's a combat focused game and here were are, wondering how the combat works.

They are probably still working on it, the last demo they showed at E3 was heavily scrutinised. So makes sense they don't want to show it yet.

Don't forget a Scorpio version is most likely in the works.

I would not be surprised if this game launches late next year alongside Scorpio.

Maybe they shouldn't reveal the game until they can show actual gameplay which won't paint the game in a bad light?

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.

Rather the general public gave them more credit then they deserve.

You think it's our fault what they showed was so boring or was it the company's.

lazyguy

I saw the closed doors presentation and gameplay-wise there is not enough footage for a trailer. It was a battle with a big monster and it showed of what could do in the game with both Thuban and Drew and was described as a combo video. Altough not in the traditional sense. More like how to keep the enemy from actually doing anything rather than something like a Devil May Cry combo. Other than that it was mainly costumization RPG-stuff.

RulkezX

Maybe Vidya Gaemz shouldn't be treated like state secrets with friendly media controlling the messaging around the game.

IF you don't think there is any problem with the game going dark after a poor showing ( but totally trust these journos guiz , the game is great , promise !!!!) then you deserves whatever crap is coming your way.

Press impressions of pre release games are always questionable

Top Bottom