• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.
welp i knew it here we go...

DAT BLUE PIC, now i got a red but i KNEW the instant i was getting it was gonna regret it and want a blue...

:(

now of course had i gotten a blue i'd want a red really bad so... ;)

Been reading through the thread and I don't get all the negativity. Sure, it's definitely not perfect, but it's so so much better than the "old" 3DS. I for one hasn't been this satisfied with a hardware revision since the GBASP. I totally love the matte look and feel. Some say it makes it look cheaper but personally I think it's the opposite.

nkOAs.jpg

d4Oba.jpg

nGl29.jpg

Bad pic, but DS games looks absolutely wonderful on this!

What color blue is the right shade of blue?

In your pics they seem deeper and more vibrant; elsewhere, lighter and washed out....

Examples:

2262fe0a.jpg

3be26e6d.jpg

ec041d05.jpg

So confused. I had red preordered (never had a red electronic). Saw red pics and switched to blue a week or so ago (I like blue in general, more than red). Saw red pics and unboxings (on the fence). Saw blue pics and unboxings (color varies wildly). Considering going back to red.

I just want a true color representation of blue :(

-GJ-

What color blue is the right shade of blue?

In your pics they seem deeper and more vibrant; elsewhere, lighter and washed out....

Examples:

So confused. I had red preordered (never had a red electronic). Saw red pics and switched to blue a week or so ago (I like blue in general, more than red). Saw red pics and unboxings (on the fence). Saw blue pics and unboxings (color varies wildly). Considering going back to red.

I just want a true color representation of blue :(

The blue is a little more aqua than those pictures. Not much though, just a little bit.

edit: I think the colors in this pic are the closest to the actual thing;

vc8Oe.jpg

Yuterald

I have a few questions/concerns about transferring content/games/data from an original 3DS to an 3DS XL. I apologize if these questions have been answered already, but...

1. Do you have the option to transfer your Activity Log from your original 3DS to the 3DS XL? The Activity Log is one of my favorite features on the 3DS and I'd hate to lose this information in a transfer.

2. What happens when you transfer downloadable games? Is it like what happened when you transferred digital games from a DSi to a 3DS where all saved data tied to the digital titles was lost? What if you put significant time into one of the Ambassador GBA titles? Would everything reset when transferred? I think I know the answer to this question already, but I'd like some clarification.

I'm probably not getting an XL at launch, but it's certainly something I'd like to "upgrade" to at some point. These two issues would make me hesitate though.

dc89

I have a few questions/concerns about transferring content/games/data from an original 3DS to an 3DS XL. I apologize if these questions have been answered already, but...

1. Do you have the option to transfer your Activity Log from your original 3DS to the 3DS XL? The Activity Log is one of my favorite features on the 3DS and I'd hate to lose this information in a transfer.

2. What happens when you transfer downloadable games? Is it like what happened when you transferred digital games from a DSi to a 3DS where all saved data tied to the digital titles was lost? What if you put significant time into one of the Ambassador GBA titles? Would everything reset when transferred? I think I know the answer to this question already, but I'd like some clarification.

I'm probably not getting an XL at launch, but it's certainly something I'd like to "upgrade" to at some point. These two issues would make me hesitate though.

I think with the transfer and by putting your original SD card in your new unit you get an exact clone.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Robso

They all use a warmer screen. If you don't like it in pictures, don't bother buying one.

Personally unless it's a white screen it's unnoticeable.

I didn't mean to come across as though I was moaning. I already have one. I've just seen some people make it out to be really bad at some places that's why I was asking.

FatCat

Not sure if someone has noticed but with the XL the yellow tint can be more or less eliminated by switching power-save mode off.

Honestly can't see much difference with original 3DS anyway.

On a second note: I love my XL. Really happy that I went through with the purchase, it really breathes new life into games I've left on my shelf.

Special mention for starfox which looks stunning on this machine.

Link83

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40214015&postcount=3674
Hori has announced some officially licensed screen protectors in Japan, and has two types available:-
http://www.hori.jp/products/multi/3dsll_top2/
The first is Hori's standard 'two layer' filter design which you apply manually:-
http://www.hori.jp/products/3dsll/3dsll_filter/
The second uses Hori's 'Wow So Easy!' or 'Pitahari' design which should make it easier to apply the filters without getting dust stuck inbetween, and the top screen filter also features an extra anti-reflective layer over their standard filters:-
http://www.hori.jp/products/3dsll/3dsll_pfilter/

Both types available for pre-order at Play-Asia:-
http://www.play-asia.com/Liquid_Crystal_Protection_Filter_3DS_LL/paOS-13-71-1jn-49-en-70-53av.html
http://www.play-asia.com/Pitahari_Filter_for_3DS_LL/paOS-13-71-1jn-49-en-70-52fx.html

MYE

Guys quickly, how good is Mighty Switch Force!?

I want to buy something on the eshop and this looks pretty sharp. I kmow nothing about it though.

Edit: I already have Pullbox and Super Mario Land 2, if it helps

Pharros

Fredrik's pictures of the blue unit make it look amazing... But then those washed out ones make me second guess getting the blue :(

I can see my choice being a last minute decision at this rate.

Robso

Yes they are...

Thanks for the info! Must have missed that post. Looks like the Pitahari ones are the ones to get then, since I really hate working with screenprotectors, lol.

Sorry, I didn't think they were as the first link only said 3DS and not XL.

I want to buy something on the eshop and this looks pretty sharp. I kmow nothing about it though.

It's a soild 2D platformer with an awesome soundtrack. It was a little short on content first but they added free dlc in form of new missions later. Totally worth the money imo.
But get Mutant Mudds first. Also great music and the gameplay makes more use of the 3D. I love this game!

BlueMagic

Oh man should I wait for this or get an original 3DS?
The bigger screens and therefore more pixelated images (along with the yellower screens) are making me seriously consider not buying this.

Peru

The bigger screens and therefore more pixelated images (along with the yellower screens) are making me seriously consider not buying this.

The bigger screens are purely a positive. Looks great, looks better. Only way to play Zelda, other 3D epics.

bitoriginal

Did my transfer yesterday;

1. Everything should be transferred, including stuff like the Activity Log and Swapnote. You won't lose any of that information.

2. All of your downloadable games from the Eshop keep their save. The Ambassador Games definitely do. I'm not 100% on downloaded DSI stuff though. It will move DSI downloaded games to the SD card though, so they may potentially lose their saves, I can't confirm.

Also, hugely important, when you get the 3DS XL, it comes with a 4 gig card. OG 3DS only had 2 gigs. So what happens is when you do your transfer, once it's complete, it asks you to put your old card into the new unit. I copied the info from the 2 gig card to my PC, then copied that info onto the 4 gig card. Put it in the XL and you're good to go.

Kouriozan

I had to redownload everything and lost my save for ambassador games after the transfer.
Maybe because I had an error in the very last step, just after transfering eShop data.
And of course, I copied everything from the 2Go SD card to the 4Go one after the transfer.

Mario Kart is so much more intense!
For all the niggles (which are legitimate, the speakers really are dog shit) I love this machine. Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mighty Switch Force, ALL 1:1 VC titles, they all seem hugely improved by the bigger screen :)

BlueMagic

Mario Kart is so much more intense!
For all the niggles (which are legitimate, the speakers really are dog shit) I love this machine. Star Fox, Mario, Mario Kart, Zelda, Mighty Switch Force, ALL 1:1 VC titles, they all seem hugely improved by the bigger screen :)

Are they worse than the original 3DS ones or are they about the same? ie, are they really noticeable?

IrishNinja

like every page, there's the same questions about account transfers. are we gonna do an |OT| for these things? cause it should be in the OP, if not the title - YES, EVERYTHING TRANSFERS, RTM

Are they worse than the original 3DS ones or are they about the same? ie, are they really noticeable?

At low volumes they're not that much noticeably different honestly, but once you get near maximum volume any higher pitched noises result in the speakers crackling which sounds dreadful.
Taking off in Mario Kart where everybody gets a boost start and cheers is painful to hear.
I use headphones for the majority of the time so it's not a huge deal personally but they are most definitely worse than the OG 3DS speakers. Without doubt.

What's so great about Mutant Mudds though?

Honestly, to the untrained and possibly ignorant eye it just looks like a second rate, generic retro 2D platformer... only judging by screenshots here of course, but i keep hearing it mentioned all over the place as one of if not the greatest downloadable game for 3DS hmm?

Honestly, to the untrained and possibly ignorant eye it just looks like a second rate, generic retro 2D platformer... only judging by screenshots here of course, but i keep hearing it mentioned all over the place as one of if not the greatest downloadable game for 3DS hmm?

It doesn't look too hot judging by the trailer on eShop... Second rate, generic retro 2D platformer seems to sum it up.

Drago

It's just a very fun and challenging platformer with a good amount of levels (40?). Most people (myself included) beat it in around 6 hours. Great spritework and 3D too.

It's worth it, I would say, and there's a sequel coming next year.

Apparently it's a lot more expensive in Europe though so I don't know... $9 is a good price for it I think. There's a demo coming too if you want to wait for that

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Slim pickings on the eShop.

No way would I pay $10/£8 whatever it is. The demo was enough for me.

It's pretty mediocre, but by e-shop standards its pretty good.

MYE

I just want snes games on the thing. Give me Demon's Crest goddammit! Pal cartridges of DC on ebay are ridiculously expensive

I just want snes games on the thing. Give me Demon's Crest goddammit! Pal cartridges of DC on ebay are ridiculously expensive

yeah that and/or GBA games finally damnit!!!

For new owners like myself/non-ambassadors this really sucks, i'd LOVE to play games like Yoshi's Island for the first time and what better place to get it than this nowadays?

dyergram

It's wayyyy better than the og 3ds screens look great to me. Mario 3d land looks beautiful.

Nice graphics and music, too hard for my tastes though.

NeoRausch

Action puzzle with speed run action. If you like that sound, buy it. It's awesome.

Can any ambassadors put up some more shots of GBA titles on the XL? Stretched and 1:1 would be great.

What game do you wanna see?

edit:

in the meantime till you decie let me requote myself for some 1:1 XL action.

wDyFn.jpg

NES

wX5Aj.jpg

GameBoy

aqdND.jpg

GameBoy Color

eFCPL.jpg

GameBoy Advanced feat. random Yoshis

NTCLe.jpg

Game Gear

IaK1s.jpg

DS

yVbFj.jpg

DSi Ware

My 2nd XL has the same dot-scratch issue. But for now I'm fine with that.

But I'm still not satisfied with the sound. Some times it starts to crack (like at the beginning of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney).

I guess I need to replace it a second time.

MarkusRJR

But I'm still not satisfied with the sound. Some times it starts to crack (like at the beginning of Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney).

Have you been putting it in your pocket? I used to do that with my older 3DS and got scratches, but I started putting it in a bag (after I got a refurb with no scratches from Nintendo) when I'm on-the-go and I haven't seen any scratches since. Is this just from putting it in your pocket or is it from just leaving it on the table, charger, etc?

Also, why the hell is the Game Gear VC background yellow? WTF?

Rich!

Replacing it won't fix that sound. The XL's speakers are shockingly bad.

NeoRausch

Also, why the hell is the Game Gear VC background yellow? WTF?

That's because (for whatever reason) the game gear vc is the best out there.

you can configure everything. On the fly you can change the ration, buttons, backgroung colours, filters etc....

ever vc game should be like that!

Chanser

Change the sound setting?

Robso

So would you guys say it'd be best to import the Hori screen protectors from Japan?

I considered some from Amazon and eBay but it appears both are too small, really poor production it seems.

Do screen protectors need replacing often?

Thanks.

-GJ-

Get the 3DS XL. Rainbow Road on the XL with 3D on max is pure magic. It's amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom