• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS XL First Impressions/Previews

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragus

Banned
IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

Even if you can't see it so clearly on those photos, this game looks amazing on XL. I'll surely replay it on XL.

No, they sound great. The guy saying the sound is "shit" might have defective speakers.

My XL and my friend's XL both have shitty speakers. Maybe just a coincidence, but I don't think so. There is NOTHING great about those speakers.

RPGCrazied

All these screens look amazing, but screens give 3DS free AA. :p What about videos of these games on the XL? I bet uprising has lots of jaggies, but that's okay.

HNNNNNNGGG... KIU, so good!

I'm just like 4 hours into the game and now I feel like I'm playing the gimped version.

But I don't want to buy one of those those colors and I need to safe money for day one WiiU.

Dat dilemma...

smbu2000

I picked up a White LL along with nsmb2 on Saturday. Damn, the screen is really great. I was surprised at how nice it is. I spent a few hours playing DQM: Terry. Really nice!

Speakers sound about the same as the regular 3ds.

White seems to be popular. At the store I bought mine at they sold out of White. Still had Silver and Red.

So which pic shows the blue 3DS to its most accurate color? I've seen like four different shades of that thing :^/

If it's that, then I might buy one. Don't care about the speakers being terrible, because I thought the ones on the vanilla 3DS were kinda bad anyway. Headphones at all times.

mmxzero

Loving all the pics and impressions, but I think I'm going to wait for colors other than red or blue. I had thought the original DSiXL was a bad idea until I had saw the impressions and got my hands on it. I never bought it, but I did like the slightly larger screens on my DSi over the lite.

I think maybe you have defective ears.
To call them 'great' would be the biggest overstatement since that guy who said Kid Icarus' controls were 'great'

KUI controls are great once you turn up sensitivity to max and you learn them, which allow for quick actions that the game requires. So I'm not seeing the comparison to mediocre built-in handheld speakers. Also, use headphones. /offtopic

donny2112

I just googled embassador games... Why ... didnt they give me the option to BUY these games if I'm not an early 3DS owner?

They said when they announced the GBA games that they had no plans to ever make them available for purchase on the system. It's one of the reasons I jumped in when Wal-Mart had it for the reduced price, but still had time to get online and get the ambassador games. If you weren't following the news around then, yeah, it stinks, but you could always buy an Ambassador 3DS online, transfer over the games to your system, and then sell off the unneeded 3DS, if you really, really wanted to buy them.

And why was 4Swords a limited release on the eshop?

Because, again, they said it would be a limited release. Again, you could buy a system online that had it (DSi or 3DS), transfer it over, and then sell the unneeded system, if you really want it.

Nintendo made their plans known well in advance in both cases, so it's not like they tricked anyone with their actions. Whether you agree with their actions is another issue, but you can't fault them for following through on what they said they would do.

They said when they announced the GBA games that they had no plans to ever make them available for purchase on the system. It's one of the reasons I jumped in when Wal-Mart had it for the reduced price, but still had time to get online and get the ambassador games. If you weren't following the news around then, yeah, it stinks, but you could always buy an Ambassador 3DS online, transfer over the games to your system, and then sell off the unneeded 3DS, if you really, really wanted to buy them.

Because, again, they said it would be a limited release. Again, you could buy a system online that had it (DSi or 3DS), transfer it over, and then sell the unneeded system, if you really want it.

Nintendo made their plans known well in advance in both cases, so it's not like they tricked anyone with their actions. Whether you agree with their actions is another issue, but you can't fault them for following through on what they said they would do.

They'll sell those GBA games sooner or later. If not on 3DS, then most definitely on their next handheld. It might be a long wait though...

Also, I thought that 4 Swords is still up on eShop but that it costs money now. Or did they decide to remove it completely?

donny2112

They'll sell those GBA games sooner or later. If not on 3DS, then most definitely on their next handheld. It might be a long wait though...

They may also decide to include it as a bonus with a retail game (since it wouldn't then be "bought" on the eShop), but with MK7 already out without MK:SS, that's looking less likely. Next handheld's a good bet for a more robust GBA VC environment, yeah.

Also, I thought that 4 Swords is still up on eShop but that it costs money now. Or did they decide to remove it completely?

Gone completely.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Any decent pics/impressions from this thread about DS games on this thing? Is it still like the regular 3DS where it looks ass unless played 1:1?

I'm guessing the regular DS XL is still the way to go for DS games right?

Any decent pics/impressions from this thread about DS games on this thing? Is it still like the regular 3DS where it looks ass unless played 1:1?

I'm guessing the regular DS XL is still the way to go for DS games right?

It's still being stretched, so it will still look bad if you don't play it in the native resolution.

Eusis

I'm expecting this time it'll at least be a trade off that may be worth making since only one model (DSi XL) has that same size advantage, whereas with the 3DS so long as you have ANY DS (well, maybe arguably not the original) there really wasn't any visual advantage the 3DS could claim to make. I only ever played DSi Ware stuff on my 3DS since that actively had to be bound to a system and it was better to leave it on the newer one.

-GJ-

Thanks, some of the pics posted made me think otherwise, but guess you can't thrust photographs too much :(

Games with 3D graphics look a lot better than games with 2D graphics though. That being said, I spent this afternoon playing Professor Layton stretched and it didn't bother me one bit. It's a little more blurry, but I prefer full screen at this game rather than a smaller screen that's sharp. Pokémon on the other hand...

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Not sure if this was linked yet or not:

How do classic games look on a 3DS XL?
The conclusion about sums it up

The best format for playing 3DS games: 3DS XL
The best format for playing DS games: DSi XL

I was hoping for a different conclusion, but I wasn't gonna part with my DSi XL yet anyway

Games with 3D graphics look a lot better than games with 2D graphics though. That being said, I spent this afternoon playing Professor Layton stretched and it didn't bother me one bit. It's a little more blurry, but I prefer full screen at this game rather than a smaller screen that's sharp. Pokémon on the other hand...
It was actually prof layton that put me off playing full scaled on the 3DS. I can imagine pokemon doing some freaky things on a big screen

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The conclusion about sums it up

The best format for playing 3DS games: 3DS XL
The best format for playing DS games: DSi XL

I was hoping for a different conclusion, but I wasn't gonna part with my DSi XL yet anyway

I'd like one DS super solution, but I'm ok with that.

I forgot all about Super Mario 64 DS. I hated the DS game because of the lousy control options. This story reminded me that its now playable with the analog slider. Time to buy it again.

PhantomR

Banned
It will be very, very, VERY difficult. But I'm going to do everything I can to wait for that white XL to make it over here. I know it's going to happen, and you all know it's going to happen as well. I just need to exercise extreme patience.

Eusis

I'd like one DS super solution, but I'm ok with that.
The perfect solution would be a display with a resolution that's an exact multiple of BOTH the 3DS and DS resolutions. And most likely any such display would make the retina display look like a blocky mess.

Although that may be the most legitimate reason for a resolution bump: you have a high enough resolution you can easily fake it and make it look nice anyway, or at least not as off as a bump like DS to 3DS, and likely something in the 480p range would've done the trick. Too bad you couldn't make 3DS software really take advantage of that, and it'd end up making those games look blocky unless a filter's slapped on.

Drago

It will be very, very, VERY difficult. But I'm going to do everything I can to wait for that white XL to make it over here. I know it's going to happen, and you all know it's going to happen as well. I just need to exercise extreme patience.

Just do what I'm doing and avoid all demo units, as hard as it may be.

Lucky for me, the pics are doing absolutely nothing to tell me that the screen's are that much bigger. I need comparisons of games to tell me how much bigger they are.

I really hope White is here before Spring 2013... maybe market it as a Winter White color? ;)

yeah that and/or GBA games finally damnit!!!

For new owners like myself/non-ambassadors this really sucks, i'd LOVE to play games like Yoshi's Island for the first time and what better place to get it than this nowadays?

They did make Yoshi's Island for DS, if you're realllllyyyyy wanting to play it. Yoshi's Island is a really good game.

Can't wait to continue it on the XL. I stopped playing because I'm waiting for the bigger screen to enjoy it more.

Haha, I did the same thing. I stopped playing KI about halfway through and put all my other 3DS games on hold because the small screen and hand cramps of the OG 3DS were literally killing me.

I didn't know at the time that the 3DSXL was coming but I figured Nintendo would make their next 3DS with larger screens and I had enough games on other systems to hold me over until the revision came.

Thank goodness my wait wasn't too long :)

matt360

Quick question about the 3DS in general. I know that the system is region locked
for 3DS games, but what about for regular DS games? Will I be able to play my
JPN region DS games on a US 3DS XL?

I can test this easily enough when I get home from work on my wife's XL, but I'll
be working late tonight and figured I'd throw the question out there.

Drago

Quick question about the 3DS in general. I know that the system is region locked
for 3DS games, but what about for regular DS games? Will I be able to play my
JPN region DS games on a US 3DS XL?

I can test this easily enough when I get home from work on my wife's XL, but I'll
be working late tonight and figured I'd throw the question out there.

All non-DSi enhanced games are region free on any 3DS

donny2112

I'm going to get the 3DSXL at/near launch because I've been wanting an XL version since before launch to watch 3-D movies (they have to be coming, eventually). However, the build quality (e.g. cheap feeling from hand-on reports) makes me think that this could be a system that I end up needing to get a replacement for from Nintendo a few years down the line. We'll see how it goes. Just hope the unit I get doesn't have any first day/month issues. :(

Phoenixus

No problem. :)

I do believe Black and White are region free though (maybe BW2 too?) and those are the only DSi-enhanced games that are

Bought a US copy of Black a few weeks ago and it wouldn't show up on my PAL 3DS screen, the seller even booted it up on a store DS Lite to make sure it wasn't a dud. I'm guessing the reverse holds true.

Mercutio

Btw, is it hard to get through the game with less than 4 characters? The framerate is terrible when you have 4 guys running around.

I'm playing this right now and I adore it EXCEPT FOR THIS SAME PROBLEM. I remember that one awesome second when I was like "I get to see all my guys? Aweso- DAMMIT FRAME RATE!"

If there's an option to hide other party members, someone please share it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom