• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Crew PC Beta Starts Monday July 21st

farisr

I wish they could implement a system, instead of using solid blue lines on maps and what not, the turns you need to make will have arrows (like the blue or yellow translucent ones during races) when you set waypoints. I'd much prefer that, then to have to look away from the scenery when driving.

It's one of my most common gripes with open world car games (The Crew became so much better to me for having those arrows during the races at least).

drotahorror

Yeah I love the yellow arrows. For once I don't have to look at my map every 2 seconds in an open world driving game during a race. I know other racers have them but they are very noticeable in The Crew and standout well.

There was me free roaming; it was the closing moments of a beautiful afternoon. The scenery was really nice, and some chilly music was playing on the radio. I love this kind of stuff. It's like a meditation for me. But then I started to hear some... noises. Random freakin' noises. For like twenty or thirty minutes. The sun was setting, and I was climbing Pikes Peak. The scenery was beautiful; the high altitude, the mountains, some big ass antennas, a fantastic chilly song playing on the radio, and the random noises. It lasted something about 20~30 minutes. Irritating freakin' noises from someone's microphone. Then, after seeing everything there on Pikes Peak, I started descending the mountain. Suddenly, *LOUD RAP MUSIC*. I looked in the options, but I couldn't find anything to mute the other players on the map. It was ruining the pleasure of the free driving. Random noises, screaming engines, loud rap music, little kids voices, STAHP!

If you're using a 360 controller, click the right stick to bring up the player cards, then look for the one with the fluctuating icon to find the mute button, or I think you can just click on your own card to mute voices altogether. Definitely my biggest annoyance with the beta, especially since you seem to be popping in and out of different groups at random.

DD

If you're using a 360 controller, click the right stick to bring up the player cards, then look for the one with the fluctuating icon to find the mute button, or I think you can just click on your own card to mute voices altogether. Definitely my biggest annoyance with the beta, especially since you seem to be popping in and out of different groups at random.

Hmm, didn't knew that. Thanks! I'm gonna try it.

Phinor

So, after three days with the beta, here are my two cents about the game. As it was said before, this game's IQ is really really messed up. It's ugly, and I understand that this is a beta, but I hope they improve that.

The game spends two much time with storytelling and tutorials at the beginning. This and the bad IQ caused a really bad first impression on me.

The good part is that the map is really, REALLY great. Love it!

So, I have a question: this game only works with a permanent internet connection, right? I ask that because for me this is clearly a single player game with a online integration used just to justify this crappy and sad freaking monstrous DRM, and that's not nice. This online portion really ruins the game for me.

Completely agree with your whole post. Before this week, The Crew wasn't even on my radar and the initial impressions were really quite bad. They need to do something to clean up the IQ and the UI needs some refining. Didn't care about the story or the characters at all. However, after I found how to mute other players, my enjoyment of the game went through the roof. No more constant crackling and humming, or terrible music. Or better yet, language I don't even understand. Anyway, I ended up visiting many major locations, just cruising around for hours. The world map is the game for me. Sure, it gets quite rough if you look into details in cities etc. but even as it is, the map is very impressive. This is singleplayer all the way for me as well, with the exception of LAN parties. Obviously the game won't support LAN though so that dream is already dead.

I know this won't happen but I hope they remake all the racing tracks. Currently they have almost no resemblance at all to the real tracks. The corners turn the correct way and that's about it. I noticed a lot of objects clearly floating in air around race tracks so maybe, just maybe the tracks are still WIP. Also this won't happen either but I hope they improve the driving model/physics because as it is right now, a driving wheel is almost pointless. There isn't enough there to warrant using a wheel. Another thing I'd like to see changed is barriers in cities. There's a lot of places and locations that are surrounded by barriers and walls so that you can't drive there. Those barriers just seem unnecessary and restrictive.

But all in all, this went from "I don't care" to definitive buy as long as they don't bombard the pre-orders with DLC and season passes. It's a new high standard for open world maps, the vastness of it all. And it's not just an empty world, there's stuff all over the place. It's not interactive in any way, but it just adds to the experience.

drotahorror

Fast travel is free in the beta and auto repair is on by 500% speed. Nice. Players won't riot just yet.

I meant to say something about this.

Are you implying that fast travel in the final version will require their special currency? Forgot what they're called but you couldn't get any in the beta.

The Cowboy

I meant to say something about this.

Are you implying that fast travel in the final version will require their special currency? Forgot what they're called but you couldn't get any in the beta.
No, what he's stating is that in the full version fast travel with cost regular game money (the money you earn from missions etc).

DD

Being able to mute everybody really improved the game for me. Thanks for the tip, Bloodworth! Now if only I could make everyone else disappear, or at least turn off those damn icons...

I'll wait for a big discount though. A single player game that won't work if my internet connection is down don't deserve a $60 price tag.

Seattle is so cool. I wanna go there in real life. ;_;

Fast travel is free in the beta and auto repair is on by 500% speed. Nice. Players won't riot just yet.

there should be a mode where the AutoRepair stays at that speed when you're just cruising around without a mission or something, idk... it was super nice not having to worry about a busted hood ruining a cross-country drive and having it repair itself slowly in about a minute as I drove, improving my visibility, jaja.

dex3108

New beta this month

BucFMfQIIAA0NHV.jpg:large

Yeah, after playing the beta, I see no justification for this being an online-only game.
Their reason for being online only was insulting. It was basically, 'gamers will get confused having two save files, one for offline and one for online.' I don't even know why they'd make you have two save files, but that's what they said. It's the biggest thing keeping me from preordering this game, instead I'll maybe buy it when it hits $20.

Is the Crew really that good? I was hoping to get into either beta but that never happened and I really don't want to drop $60 on a game just to get access to the beta especially if I end up not liking it.

shakanico

Neo Member
Same client :

Here is everything you need to know about this second phase:

- Players will be granted guaranteed Day One beta access if they pre-purchase The Crew before August 25th at any one of our participating retail partners.
- Players who had accessed the game or simply redeemed their key on Uplay PC, during the first Closed Beta, will automatically have access to this second Closed Beta.
- All keys sent for the first Closed Beta that haven’t been redeemed on Uplay PC, and thus never activated, will not give access to the second Closed Beta.
- All content (XP, Levels, money, parts) earned during the first Closed Beta will be wiped for the second one.
- There will be no NDA for this second Closed Beta.
- The Closed Beta will end on Friday, August 29th.

http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/....aspx?c=tcm:152-162893-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

DD

- Players who had accessed the game or simply redeemed their key on Uplay PC, during the first Closed Beta, will automatically have access to this second Closed Beta.

Nice. Too bad I'll have to download it all again though. ;_;

Valkrai

Is there any way to sign up for the beta or are we screwed unless we preorder?

Sorry, I don't want to derail the topic into begging but I'm curious.

You can unlock it, was posted in this thread before how to do it. Now just to find it.

Indeed. I hope they won't be silly enough to lock the game at 30fps on PC.

Put the answer in my last post guys :)

Is there any way to sign up for the beta or are we screwed unless we preorder?

Sorry, I don't want to derail the topic into begging but I'm curious.

Yup, just go on the crew.ubi site and under the tab "Beta". You can sign up for PC or the console beta coming later.

Anyone try the new build yet? Does it still look as rough as the last build?

It's exactly the same haha. Well, I can't see any differences anyway, there might be some behind the scenes stuff that's squashed bugs etc.

Just to clarify, it's under 'My documents -> The Crew'. Going to work now, will fiddle around later.

Yea, that's the one! You should be able to sort it no bother, it literally is a bit that's like FPS: "30". You just need to open the file as a notepad, alter it to "60" and save and your done.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Yea, that's the one! You should be able to sort it no bother, it literally is a bit that's like FPS: "30". You just need to open the file as a notepad, alter it to "60" and save and your done.

AH, thanks for that.

Tried the first beta of The Crew and being 30FPS really didn't help the experience.

I'll get it sorted with 60FPS and hook up my DFGT this time and test it properly this week.

Denton

It is just so bizzare that you even have to do that, even in beta. I mean games should just not, ever, default to 30 on PC. So weird.

That said I am looking forward to this game a lot, love the cockpit views and open world.

dmr87

It is just so bizzare that you even have to do that, even in beta. I mean games should just not, ever, default to 30 on PC. So weird.

It's probably just a beta thing and to minimize technical difficulties, game's not fully optimized etc.

Anyone try the new build yet? Does it still look as rough as the last build?

Visually, it's no different in my experience. I'm unsure about the level cap. But as expected all progress from the last beta is wiped.

On the plus side, it seems the ridiculously bad memory leak I was having in Beta 1 is mostly gone. Still occasional hitches though.

That said I am looking forward to this game a lot, love the cockpit views and open world.

Haha yea I got nothing. Perhaps they expected the build wouldn't be stable enough for people to reach 60, so they capped it? I have no idea.

As far as the game goes, I really like it. The visuals are a little bland and none of the AA options seem to be any good, but like others have said, the sheer size. it's great fun just driving around doing the random challenges you come across, and it's nice they've made an attempt at a genuine story. I told my kid (who is six) how big the map is, and it blew his mind. We live in Scotland and he imagines America to be some sort of holy paradise everything cool comes from. First question was "is the statue of liberty even in it?" and "can I have a shot?" haha.

Fixes

Fixed an issue when missions could not be completed if the game was running with low FPS.
Fixed an issue when missions could not be completed due to multiple devices plugged-in affecting the controls.
Fixed a loading queue issue when a high amount of players were entering the game at the same time.
Improved the sessioning system.
Fixed an issue when players could not see anybody around them.
Fixed an issue where “new game” was not present in the main menu.
Fixed various rendering issues.
Fixed graphical issues with SLI enabled.
Fixed graphical issues that occurred on certain graphic cards.
Fixed antialiasing on the nav-ribbon.
Fixed video settings auto-detection.
Fixed an issue when the voices were reactivated automatically when transitioning to a PvP lobby even if they were previously disabled.
Fixed an issue when using ALT+F4 didn’t close the game.
Fixed an issue with the clutch setting on generic devices’ keymapping.
Fixed some missing vehicles in first chunk, for skill ghost and also some parts.
Fixed a cursor issue when opening the map.
Fixed cockpit camera control with the mouse.

Changes

Improved the voice chat quality.
Voice chat is now off by default.
Added mute player voices option in the Audio menu.
Changed the looping sound from intro loading scene.
Tweaked various skills.
Removed CGI trailer in login state.
Removed NDA.

Anyone knows if you are still limited to lvl 10?

My game just finished downloading and im getting this error. Is anyone else experiencing this? I tried doing a verify game files and nothing. Still with the error. :(

ibvM9q7en5JqIN.jpg

Top Bottom