• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Limited Run Games - Putting digital games into your hands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't get one because I had to be on the train and at the docs getting a phlebotomy from 8AM til about 10 minutes ago, and I don't own a smart phone. Went on sale at 9:30 my time, and it was sold out 26 minutes before I sat down at my laptop.

So, yeah, my whole Vita collection is pointless now.

I hope this proves the Shovel Knight devs that Vita fans will buy a physical release. If an unknown game like B&C (no offense LRG) sells out in a day, imagine highly acclaimed Shovel Knight. 5000 copies easy. In fact, they should hire Limited Run Games to do it.

I think 5,000 is a good number, but let's let the LRG team build up some money to handle inventory. ;)

I didn't get one because I had to be on the train and at the docs getting a phlebotomy from 8AM til about 10 minutes ago, and I don't own a smart phone. Went on sale at 9:30 my time, and it was sold out 26 minutes before I sat down at my laptop.

Keep an eye on the Vita GAF thread. I will most likely be giving away my copy at some point soon. :)

ihhUTFa.png
Better don't go anywhere now

Better don't go anywhere now

I usually never do lol. This only happened because they rescheduled my appt for the morning and took an hour to get started. Would have been home quicker otherwise.

I'll F5 and watch for later. Need to chill out and cross my fingers.

U2NUMB

One thing is for sure going forward... not gonna just put the date on my calendar but the actual time they go on sale. Cause none are going to last a full day!

Decider

This is reminding me of the farce that ensued when Rose Colored Gaming would put something up on their site.

If I miss out on CSH because I'm in the "wrong" timezone, I'll be annoyed. LRG should do reprints based on demand, instead of willingly lining the pockets of collectors.

This is reminding me of the farce that ensued when Rose Colored Gaming would put something up on their site.

If I miss out on CSH because I'm in the "wrong" timezone, I'll be annoyed. LRG should do reprints based on demand, instead of willingly lining the pockets of collectors.

Calm down, no one expected this to sell out so fast. LRG themselves said they were hoping it would sell out in a week.

This was a run to test demand.

That would be nice actually

I'd be up for that as well.

They announced the date and time well in advance. I think everyone was shocked by how quickly this sold out.

neonglow

I missed out so hopefully I get in on the next batch. On Twitter, they mentioned that they're freeing up copies from big orders.

CSH should be above 5,000 hopefully, would've wanted to buy it in retail or amazon. I see many PS4 physical releases of indie games in my local game store.

Calm down, no one expected this to sell out so fast. LRG themselves said they were hoping it would sell out in a week.

This was a run to test demand.

Hoping they adjust future volume to the growing demand, I doubt the next one will take 2 hours to sell out. Last we want is create another market for hoarders and scalpers. RCR DX unsurprisingly commanding a high price with Ebay scalpers.

Torpy

Neo Member
Just woke up for work at 6am in Australia for them to ask be sold out :( hoping I can get one of the 90 copies later.

Varth

So whats gonna happen now for multiple copy orders?
Limit all orders to one and put back all exceeding copies back online, I guess, but its gonna be over in mere seconds anyway now that it has a HIGH VALUE sticker all over it.

Can't lie, Im kinda sour. If I could easily predict this being over in less than a day, was it really that difficult to predict for you guys?

That said, good job and good luck on future endeavors.

autoduelist

Limit all orders to one and put back all exceeding copies back online, I guess, but its gonna be over in mere seconds anyway now that it has a HIGH VALUE sticker all over it.

Can't lie, Im kinda sour. If I could easily predict this being over in less than a day, was it really that difficult to predict for you guys?

I mean, they call themselves 'limited run games'... not 'everybody gets one games'.

More importantly, they're the ones that had to front the money for all the initial copies. Even if they suspected they might sell more, that's a lot of risk to take on and capital to front. People are famously all talk until they have to open their wallets, so some level of caution is in order for their first release.

I mean, they call themselves 'limited run games'... not 'everybody gets one games'.

Pretty much. The window was definitely too short this time, but I wouldn't have a problem with it when every future release sells out in one day.

They're announced in advance and if you're interested you just have to keep up with the news.

Kind of disappointed that there are some negative undertones in here after this was such an amazing success.

Varth

Between "over in hours" and "everybody gets one" theres a LOT of room. And while I can of course understand them going for a safer way, I cannot help but think the production run should be set to have a littLe copies left after the first "hit" is absorbed. If you print 1000 copies of a mag and sell all of them its not a success. It's a warning you had wrong estimate of demand.

And I was pretty clear on both being sour for not havi g the chance to get one and wishing them all the luck for the future. Just bope they have a better handle of demand next time.

If you print 1000 copies of a mag and sell all of them its not a success. It's a warning you had wrong estimate of demand.

I doubt LRG see it that way. This was a run to show that there is demand, so they can get other devs on board.

I'm pretty sure they succeeded. When CSH gets a run that is too small and is sold out in minutes, THEN you can complain.

hawk2025

Between "over in hours" and "everybody gets one" theres a LOT of room. And while I can of course understand them going for a safer way, I cannot help but think the production run should be set to have a littLe copies left after the first "hit" is absorbed. If you print 1000 copies of a mag and sell all of them its not a success. It's a warning you had wrong estimate of demand.

Yes, and this is their first print, of a game that was unceremoniously released on PSN already.

There's no way to estimate demand properly without data. They did the right thing by being conservative with the printing numbers -- there was absolutely no way to know that it was going to sell this fast.

They already said they will be exploring ways to sell and updating print sizes for future games as it goes on, and that's the best they can do.

They were cautious with their prediction because if they weren't and overproduced, they could stand to lose a large amount of money.

AND immediately kill the idea before it was off the ground by having excess stock forever before a second release is even out. "lol, remember Limited Run Games? More like Eternal Run, am I rite?".

Dealing with print runs in boutique highly specialized markets is extremely tricky. They've hit the rollout out of the park so far.

I cannot help but think the production run should be set to have a littLe copies left after the first "hit" is absorbed.

They did that. They reserved 90 copies to put up later for people in different time zones PLUS they're going back and freeing up copies from any resellers/scalpers who ordered a large number.

Olengie

Seems like a lot of people forgot this was a trial run.

Theyll eventually hit the sweet spot in terms of numbers

zulux21

They did that. They reserved 90 copies to put up later for people in different time zones PLUS they're going back and freeing up copies from any resellers/scalpers who ordered a large number.

90 really isn't that meaningful of an amount.

I mean I was up and could have easily gotten one if I wanted one (no interest in this game) but I am always more of a fan of open orders for a day and then place the order for this type of thing, or release 10% of them each hour for 10 hours so people who work 8 hours will at least have a shot at them.

very few video game related things make me sadder than finding out that I missed out on my only chance to get something because I had to work :(

Seems like a lot of people forgot this was a trial run.

Theyll eventually hit the sweet spot in terms of numbers

demand will vary so much for games, especially depending on if they have been released or not.

I really enjoy something like rogue legacy, but I am doubtful that I would pay $25 for it since i bought it digitally years ago. But if there was a rogue's legacy 2 for $30 physically I would buy that in a heart beat.

just like I have to sit here and debate how much cosmic star heroine is worth to me as I already backed the kickstarter and paid for a digital copy, and now I have to debate about if I want to spring for the physical version now (which I would prefer to own over digital) and just sell my digital version at a loss.

I also wish I could remember which digital version I chose lol. ps4/vita version (which I think I got) will be easier to sell at near retail price than the steam key just because sites like green man gaming do constant discounts.

hawk2025

They said on Twitter that they will be asking the community eventually if they would be ok with a reprint with a different cover for Breach & Clear, to make sure that other people have a chance, while still keeping the first run unique.

...the trouble is, I'd want to buy the one with the other cover as well :p

To be fair this appears to be a very small operation being run out of someone's apartment. it is easy to say that they should have printed another 1500 -3000 units, but with what money? This whole thing could be over in a heartbeat if they spend $30,000+ on carts of a game that simply doesn't sell.

zulux21

To be fair this appears to be a very small operation being run out of someone's apartment. it is easy to say that they should have printed another 1500 -3000 units, but with what money? This whole thing could be over in a heartbeat if they spend $30,000+ on carts of a game that simply doesn't sell.

it should be theoretically possible to line up a manufacturer, line up the deal with the game makers, and then do an open preorder to get the numbers you need for a run and the money up front.

I mean if you are worried as the game maker or manufacturer that if you allow this you won't get any money if it flops, you could require a payment up front around the lines of the 1,500 games and then leave an option open to make more as needed.

the only real difference would be timing for payment vs orders received. as if they already have 1500 in their office those will obviously go out to people way faster than if they still needed to be produced.

personally I think kickstarter has proved time and time again that people are willing to wait a bit for products they want. (as long as you don't miss your product window by more than 6 months and stay in contact)

Shinriji

They said on Twitter that they will be asking the community eventually if they would be ok with a reprint with a different cover for Breach & Clear, to make sure that other people have a chance, while still keeping the first run unique.

If this is true, I don't like that. I know that the launch was a success, but they can't get greedy to the point and bring up the possibility to backpedal their motto of "limited, no reprints" so soon. They can try again later with Breach and Clear 2, DLC or other vita games in the future.

Shizuka

Yeah, no. I'm sorry, but if it's a "limited run", it's a limited run. Otherwise, why call it so? I'm not okay with one, particularly.

zulux21

Yeah, no. I'm sorry, but if it's a "limited run", it's a limited run. Otherwise, why call it so? I'm not okay with one, particularly.

yup, gonna have to agree here. Despite my talks in here about open preorder for a day and what not, if you say something you should stick with it in cases like this.

I'd still prefer a limited run order ect (as limited doesn't have to mean small amount made, but merely limited time to get it), but if you said limited to 1500 and won't print any more, you better stick to that as a number of collectors enjoy owning something rather limited.

That being said my class of heroes 2 game on the psp was open for a month and still ended up being very limited (I think like 3k were made) and I am happy with it. It's not like vic could justify printing more anyways but if he did it would make me very unhappy with him and likely not buy his future limited runs because I am petty like that :p

Varth

Totally not ok with this, even If I didnt get a copy. This is not how it should be run. If run was too small do better for next game.

Yeah making another run of the game later wouldn't be good. People need to know that it's now or never if they want a game. You shouldn't make an exception with your very first release already.

The only issue I see is that since many people will probably want to own a complete set, so making the first game much more rare than the rest could be problematic and a disincentive. So if LRG were to announce now that they'll print another x copies and put them up as soon as possible, since demand was clearly underestimated, that would be okay I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom