• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portal 2 on PS3: Redeemable Steam Play copy explained

Hixx

In the interview the topic was created for, this is said:

GZ: There seem to be big differences in functionality across each of the platforms. A PS3 user with a code can access the features of Steamworks and play cross-play co-op, but only access PS3-to-PS3 co-op without. Meanwhile every PC gamer is given the ability to play with their PS3 friends, while the 360 user is restricted solely to their console. Is there a worry that the current integration of the tech could confuse some players?

JB: Yes, it is confusing and it's kind of scary that it's come to this point and how isolated all these different platforms are. Everybody's gamers, everybody wants to play the games and everybody wants to play them together, and we're just trying to facilitate that. It is a little tricky trying to explain it and there are a lot of these little 'what if' situations.

This is what is making me think you won't be able to use the one copy to play on both platforms at the same time. But the way its described by the interviewer makes it seem like the code gives you access to Steamworks features (which cross-platform co-op falls under) rather than just the extra PC copy. Which would make sense. But then again its the interviewer saying that, yet its not refuted.

Which is quite annoying as I want to pre-order the game but want the PS3 version if you can co-op on the same copy and if its not possible I'll just get the PC version.

Facism

HixxSAFC said:

This is what is making me think you won't be able to use the one copy to play on both platforms at the same time. But the way its described by the interviewer makes it seem like the code gives you access to Steamworks features (which cross-platform co-op falls under) rather than just the extra PC copy. Which would make sense. But then again its the interviewer saying that, yet its not refuted.

Which is quite annoying as I want to pre-order the game but want the PS3 version if you can co-op on the same copy and if its not possible I'll just get the PC version.

im sure they'll clear it up soon enough. still going with ps3 version as it's the same price as the PC version here.

StuBurns

Banned
HixxSAFC said:

Right, he says one thing, and Valve's FAQ says something completely different.

HixxSAFC said:
Yeah, and the interviewer's question doesn't seem to make sense. So, playing on the PC, I can see all PS3 players, but not all PS3 players can see me? So, my wife creates a new account without using that activation code. I can play with her but she can't play with me? I don't understand the phrasing of the question.

Rengoku

HixxSAFC said:
Is this the Valve FAQ I copied and pasted out of?

According to Valve's FAQ, the actual process of linking your PSN to your Steam account does not require you to enter the code. Its only after you link the accounts that you go to steam to activate the PC copy with your code. One would assume that all the features of Steamworks - friendslist, co-op etc are available right after you link your account, and not after you enter your code.

L00P

gregor7777 said:
Valve games run on pretty old PCs. Someone links their account, decides to take a look, buys a low end game for cheap on a sale, and the addiction begins.

A sound plan, IMO.

That's exactly what happened to me X)

Steve Youngblood said:
Yeah, and the interviewer's question doesn't seem to make sense. So, playing on the PC, I can see all PS3 players, but not all PS3 players can see me? So, my wife creates a new account without using that activation code. I can play with her but she can't play with me? I don't understand the phrasing of the question.

A PC can only see players on Steam, so obviously not the PS3 players who don't have Steamworks. At least that's how I understood it.

Valve clearly isn't worried about PS3 console discs being sold off used.

Oppositely its an excellent Trojan horse recruitment tool for new Steam customers. Frankly, I think its a good solid plan which will work in their favor.

Graphics Horse said:
A PC can only see players on Steam, so obviously not the PS3 players who don't have Steamworks.
But to be online, it has to have Steamworks. There is no option to just hop online and play via PSN only.

Interfectum

Graphics Horse said:
Really? So you need a steam account to play on PS3?

Well... uh, yes and no?

GZ: Do you need the code to access co-op in the PS3 version, or can you simply play through PSN without touching Steam?

JB: You have to create a Steam account, which again can be via that quick create where all you're doing is clicking a button saying 'hey, I wanna play'. You don't need to input the code. You don't even need to have a full Steam account.

This thread is truly disheartening. Why are so many people out to make a quick buck in such a manner? Honesty in society is lost, probably never even existed.

see5harp

The steam overlay is basically cross game chat/invite/join. I can only dream of a world where that is standard for every game.

StuBurns

Banned
Interfectum said:
The word 'full' in there is clearly there for a reason.

It's more likely there will be two sorts of Steam account, one only for Portal 2 on PS3, which you can choose to make if you only care about playing with other PS3 users.

EDIT: You reworded, my mistake.

ARXIN said:
Hopefully it doesn't make Valve rethink their stance on this and the future of this type of deal.

Valve's getting what they want. An in-road to get the PS3 audience to try/use Steam and thereby bypass Sony with direct sales in the future on both their games and many 3rd party efforts. It's a sweet deal for them and Sony is happy to give away the potential business (I guess?).

Interfectum said:
Well... uh, yes and no?
My assumption is that although this "quick account" could function as a full-on account, they probably aren't requiring all the standard information for registration to get up and running. I'm thinking it won't require name, address, or even a valid email address. It'll still be a real Steam account I think.

I'm just making guesses though.

Hopefully it will turn out that my roommate can play on the PC while I rock the PS3 in the living room. That would be ideal but these explanations are coming off as a bit vague.

androvsky

Steve Youngblood said:
My assumption is that although this "quick account" could function as a full-on account, they probably aren't requiring all the standard information for registration to get up and running. I'm thinking it won't require name, address, or even a valid email address. It'll still be a real Steam account I think.

I think they said it'll use the same email address as the PSN account you use to create it with. Expect an email extolling the virtues of Steam on the PC after you do that. :)

The amazing thing is Sony's letting Valve promote a competing gaming platform on the PS3 just so they can get the PS3 noticed.

Steve Youngblood said:

Yeah I missed the bit where he said you didn't even need a code.. It is confusing.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I just want to avoid playing this game using split-screen. I have a PC and a PS3 and was planning on using the PS3 version to allow me and my wife to play co-op using both machines. I love that Valve is giving away a copy of the PC version with the PS3, but why I can't play co-op with just one copy on two machines almost seems anti-Valve/Steam.

StuBurns

Banned
Someone should just email Valve and get them to clarify. If the FAQ is right, you almost certainly can play co-op with a single game, but if the Valve guy who was interviewed is right, you can't.

DenogginizerOS said:
I just want to avoid playing this game using split-screen. I have a PC and a PS3 and was planning on using the PS3 version to allow me and my wife to play co-op using both machines. I love that Valve is giving away a copy of the PC version with the PS3, but why I can't play co-op with just one copy on two machines almost seems anti-Valve/Steam.
The popular belief right now is that you'll be able to. They're just not playing up that you can. When you think about it, the reasons are fairly obvious as to why. Sure, the specific use case of playing the game co-op with my wife sounds plausible, but it runs contrary to how Steam already works. As it stands, not only can my wife and I not play Portal simultaneously on my PC and my laptop via my one Steam account, but we can't even play different games at the same time via my one Steam account. Furthermore, they probably don't want to encourage the use case where any two random people realize that, by purchasing one copy of the PS3 version, one can keep the PS3 version and one can keep the PC version netting essentially two copies for the price of one.

StuBurns said:
Someone should just email Valve and get them to clarify. If the FAQ is right, you almost certainly can play co-op with a single game, but if the Valve guy who was interviewed is right, you can't.

You can't, it's on the Steampowered FAQ.

Steam said:
Only PlayStation®3 split-screen co-op can be played using a single copy of the game. When you purchase a new copy of Portal 2 for PlayStation®3, you will receive an in-box code which provides your linked Steam account with access to your copy of Portal 2 on your computer. The game is still owned by only a single Steam account--another copy will be required to play online co-op with a friend.

As posted before, see the full FAQ here

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
If Valve is lurking in this topic, you secured +1 PS3 sale from me thanks to this deal.

Is there ANY precedent for a console game save syncing with a PC game save? To me it truly seems like something out of the future. I can start Portal 2 on my Mac, and pick up right where I left off on my PS3. Nutty.

360 is my console of choice, so hopefully the PS3 release sells like gangbusters, opening MS's eyes on this issue.

DenogginizerOS

It sounds to me that the code you get to play on PC can be used once to link a new or established Steam account to a PSN account and that in order for someone else to play me while in my house on either PC or PSN, they would have to have a new code for their specific PSN/Steam linkage or we use split-screen.

StuBurns

Banned
Big Chief Crazy Cone said:

I know they claim you can't, but the FAQ itself, in the way it describes the process, implies you can.

GDJustin said:
If Valve is lurking in this topic, you secured +1 PS3 sale from me thanks to this deal.

Is there ANY precedent for a console game save syncing with a PS3 game save? To me it truly seems like something out of the future. I can start Portal 2 on my Mac, and pick up right where I left off on my PS3. Nutty.

Sorry, saves are not cross-platform. So if you play on the PS3, you can pick up where left off any other PS3 ONLY. Same goes with PC, and the same with Mac. Saves are stored in the cloud, but can only be re-synced with the platform they were created on.

Valve has said they wanted to implement cross-platform saves and that its achievable, but they didn't have enough time finish it for Portal 2.

andshrew

The FAQ contradicts itself... while saying that it also says that you can link your PSN account to a Steam account in game without entering any code which gives you access to:
If I already have an existing Steam account said:
Using your current Steam account provides you with several benefits:
• Your Portal 2 gameplay stats and any earned achievements will appear on your Steam community profile. Additionally, any Steam achievements earned in Portal 2 on PS3™ will be unlocked on your Steam profile.
• You will have access to both PlayStation Network friends and Steam friends to play Portal 2 co-op games with.
• Your existing Steam friends list will be available for you on your PS3™ to chat with in the Steam Overlay..

So reading would imply that if you used a second PSN account and linked with a second Steam account you could then play online co-op with one person on PC and one on PS3 using a single PS3 copy.

StuBurns said:
I know they claim you can't, but the FAQ itself, in the way it describes the process, implies you can.

In what way? Steam has always functioned so that you can't be logged in from more than one place at the same time. That seems to be the case here; if you're playing on PS3, you are logged into your steam account, and thus cannot log into it from your PC at the same time in order to play co-op. At least thats how I interpreted it.

Edit: Yeah, that bullet point implies you can play with any Steam friend... I think its just an oversight though. I think they want to point out that your PSN friends are also Steam friends if they have linked their accounts.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Sorry, saves are not cross-platform. So if you play on the PS3, you can pick up where left off any other PS3 ONLY. Same goes with PC, and the same with Mac. Saves are stored in the cloud, but can only be re-synced with the platform they were created on.

Valve has said they wanted to implement cross-platform saves and that its achievable, but they didn't have enough time finish it for Portal 2.

Aww.

Well, bought anyway.

DenogginizerOS

StuBurns said:
The more I think about it, the more unsure I get. According to Valve, the code allows for a one-time linkage to a Steam PC account allowing it to be downloaded on PC for that one account and to be shared only with a single PSN account. Then once this code is used, it cannot be used with another PSN account to link up with a Steam account. I am assuming that the code is tied to the disc. Thus, if one sells the disc, another PS3 player could play it offline or splitscreen, but they would not be able to get a free copy of the game for PC. But would they be able to play online against other PSN players or even PC players? Will they have to buy a code similar to an EA online pass?

DenogginizerOS said:
The more I think about it, the more unsure I get. According to Valve, the code allows for a one-time linkage to a Steam PC account allowing it to be downloaded on PC for that one account and to be shared only with a single PSN account. Then once this code is used, it cannot be used with another PSN account to link up with a Steam account. I am assuming that the code is tied to the disc. Thus, if one sells the disc, another PS3 player could play it offline or splitscreen, but they would not be able to get a free copy of the game for PC. But would they be able to play online against other PSN players or even PC players? Will they have to buy a code similar to an EA online pass?

The code is strictly for redeeming the PC/Mac copy. It is redeemed on the PC. You can link your Steam and PSN accounts without a code and play online for free. This implies that used copies will be able to play online for free, they just won't get a free copy for PC.

In fact, the way its worded, I think you're REQUIRED to link accounts to play online, its just that if you don't already have a Steam account, one will be created for you with your same PSN credentials. It doesn't seem to say that there's any way to play without linking, just that it's a really simple and easy process to do so. What a boon for Valve, if true.

StuBurns

Banned
In what way? Steam has always functioned so that you can't be logged in from more than one place at the same time. That seems to be the case here; if you're playing on PS3, you are logged into your steam account, and thus cannot log into it from your PC at the same time in order to play co-op. At least thats how I interpreted it.
This is unlike any other Steam game though because according to the Valve FAQ, you do not need the activation code to play online. Yes a single Steam account can't 'play against themselves', but you can make as many Steam accounts as you like it would seem.

Psi

I thought I understood this whole thing and now I'm confused as hell again. Whatever, I'm buying it anyways.

chewydogg

StuBurns said:
This is unlike any other Steam game though because according to the Valve FAQ, you do not need the activation code to play online. Yes a single Steam account can't 'play against themselves', but you can make any many Steam accounts as you like it would seem.

But only one of those accounts (the one tied to PSN) would have the free copy of Portal 2...

StuBurns

Banned
chewydogg said:
But only one of those accounts (the one tied to PSN) would have the free copy of Portal 2...
Only one needs to.

Let's say I do this...

Portal 2 on PS3 comes from Amazon.

I put it in, link my PSN to my Steam account.

I log on to Steam on my laptop, enter my activation code and get Portal 2, download it.

Then use a second PSN account and second Steam account to play my PS3 Portal 2.

I should be able to play Portal 2 on my computer while playing it on my PS3, and play with myself.

Lyonaz

Are there any other developers that are planning to use steamworks for their future games?

I would love to play more cross platform PS3/PC multiplayer-games and take advantage of steam-cloudsaving and all that jazz like Portal 2.

The code is strictly for redeeming the PC/Mac copy. It is redeemed on the PC. You can link your Steam and PSN accounts without a code and play online for free. This implies that used copies will be able to play online for free, they just won't get a free copy for PC.

In fact, the way its worded, I think you're REQUIRED to link accounts to play online, its just that if you don't already have a Steam account, one will be created for you with your same PSN credentials. It doesn't seem to say that there's any way to play without linking, just that it's a really simple and easy process to do so. What a boon for Valve, if true.

I think it is correct that have to link your PSN account and a Steam account: you have to log into a Steam account to play online. But what is stopping you from creating another PSN/Steam account, one that is not linked to the PC version? Does the game only allow one PSN account to be a Steam account per system? In the FAQ, they never say that only one Steam account per PS3 system is allowed. Although it does give a figure where it says: Please be sure that the current PSN account that is logged in is your account.

Psi said:
I thought I understood this whole thing and now I'm confused as hell again. Whatever, I'm buying it anyways.
Well, the confusion is just due to Valve's clarification. The question is are they saying that to discourage people from viewing the PS3 version and the "free" PC version as separate titles, or because there are actually safeguards that prevent you from doing it? My understanding is that it's the former. You probably can, but only as an unintended side-effect of how they've implemented Steam support on the PSN.

traveler

Not Wario
For whatever it's worth, I just emailed Gabe straight up asking if its possible to do coop between your PS3 copy and linked PC copy since there doesn't seem to be a clear cut answer. Hopefully either Valve will come out and confirm/deny it one way or another in response to the discussion on the matter or Gabe will actually respond and get us a final answer. Dunno how much to expect and I'm sure his email box is pretty full at the moment anyhow, but I figured it was worth a try.

Edit: Wow, beaten by a post by what is probably a better solution.

Yeah, it does seem it would work in that scenario. As long as the Steam account is linked to the PSN ID and not the console, which appears to be the case, there's no reason that shouldn't work.

Top Bottom