• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

wouwie said:
I love platform games but never played Sonic back in the days. So playing the demo was my first Sonic game experience (played the demo on ps3).

It felt like being on a rollercoaster ride. Which is good and not good. I like the level design a lot but the game is so fast that i often have the impression that the game plays itself. It's so fast that half of the time, i don't know what i'm doing or where i should be going.

So i was wondering: is this something that needs "getting used to". Are you experienced Sonic players feeling "in full control" of what's going on at all times? Is the main purpose of the game to go as fast as possible. Or is there a way of playing the game in a bit slower pace?

Other than that, enjoyed the demo. Looks fun and joyful.

Tip: You still haven't played Sonic based off this game.

JonCha

In the later levels you won't be going as fast as you do in Green Hill Zone, because there will be lots more platforming that is more precise (watch the videos in the OP to see this).

Truthfully, GHZ isn't a fair stage to judge the game on besides mechanics because it's super easy and just a tutorial effectively. If a later stage had been in, things would have been different.

I really hope we get another short movie like Night of the Warehog excpet this time with Classic/Modern Sonic doing something like racing, eating chilidogs, abusing Tails to avoid water pits etc. :D

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
wouwie said:
So i was wondering: is this something that needs "getting used to". Are you experienced Sonic players feeling "in full control" of what's going on at all times? Is the main purpose of the game to go as fast as possible. Or is there a way of playing the game in a bit slower pace?

Other than that, enjoyed the demo. Looks fun and joyful.

Personally I thought the controls, especially for Modern Sonic, felt a bit 'sloppy'. Not bad, but not as tight as they were back in the 16-bit days. Just takes a bit to get used to, I guess.

The main purpose of the game isn't really to go as fast as possible. At least not for the Classic Sonic levels, and the 2D parts of Modern Sonic, which encourage slower gameplay and exploration, I'd say. The 3D parts of Modern Sonic lean a bit more towards the 'gotta go fast' boost-encouraging gameplay (which is why I'm lukewarm towards the 3D parts). Generally, if you want to play the game slower, just take your time and explore the different paths of the levels.

That said, you should really play Sonic 1-3 & Knuckles. Those games are all-time classics.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Upsidedown Fuji said:
I really hope we get another short movie like Night of the Warehog excpet this time with Classic/Modern Sonic doing something like racing, eating chilidogs, abusing Tails to avoid water pits etc. :D
CHILI DOGS ARE NOT JAPAN CANON (except those couple times) -- point is NO

wouwie

Thanks for the answers.

All of a sudden, i'm excited at the prospect of buying and playing a new platform game :) (i'm also getting Rayman Origins). Might buy day one if reviews are good.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Heroes, Riders, and [the original 2004 port of] SADX were all pretty good, definitely not "terrible".
I beg to differ. SADX was one of the worst ports I've ever seen (so many visual errors compared to the DC and GC versions). Heroes and Riders weren't great either.

Heroes was one of those games where you could still see a good game beneath all the crap, though. The franchise wasn't a lost cause at that point, it was just mediocre. Outside of control issues, the most egregious thing about Sonic Heroes was simply how padded the game was. Most levels involved doing the same set piece 2 or 3 times each. Add on top of that the fact the game demanded you play game to completion a total of four times in order to see the "true ending", and yeah, that got really, really old.

I personally think the first Sonic Riders game was pretty cool, it just has a really, really steep learning curve, and the game makes very little effort to ease you in to things and teach you the "correct way" to play it. Once you got over that, I thought it was a great, really unique racing game (though one that doesn't really benefit from being attached to the Sonic franchise).

Berordn

Sega1991 said:
I personally think the first Sonic Riders game was pretty cool, it just has a really, really steep learning curve, and the game makes very little effort to ease you in to things and teach you the "correct way" to play it. Once you got over that, I thought it was a great, really unique racing game (though one that doesn't really benefit from being attached to the Sonic franchise).
It's too bad Zero Gravity was so terrible though. I poured about forty hours in Riders and I couldn't tolerate Zero Gravity for a second, the gravity effects never felt right and the courses didn't feel as tight as the first, especially the Sega tribute ones. A strange cycle of self-destruction.

Sega1991 said:
Heroes was one of those games where you could still see a good game beneath all the crap, though. The franchise wasn't a lost cause at that point, it was just mediocre. Outside of control issues, the most egregious thing about Sonic Heroes was simply how padded the game was. Most levels involved doing the same set piece 2 or 3 times each. Add on top of that the fact the game demanded you play game to completion a total of four times in order to see the "true ending", and yeah, that got really, really old.

Yeah, Heroes wasn't fun, super mediocre, average, lame gimmick. However, the real dark turn for the series happened with Shadow The Hedgehog. That game might even rival Sonic 06, in terms of flat-out atrociousness.

The thing about Heroes is, that, at least every other 3D Sonic had a reason to go back and play it. With most bad Sonic games, there's a clear delineation between game-play styles that are good and bad. Sonic Adventure 2 isn't a good game, but a lot of the Sonic/Shadow stages are awesome (metal harbor, green jungle, radical highway, city escape). Sonic 06 is just hilarious to play and make fun of with a group of friends. Heroes is just so banal it might as well not even exist.

Berordn said:
It's too bad Zero Gravity was so terrible though. I poured about forty hours in Riders and I couldn't tolerate Zero Gravity for a second, the gravity effects never felt right and the courses didn't feel as tight as the first, especially the Sega tribute ones. A strange cycle of self-destruction.

Yeah, I played through Zero Gravity's story mode not too long ago on the Wii and I was kind of surprised to see they systematically removed or ruined all of the stuff I thought made the first Sonic Riders fun.

And the weird thing is that Sonic Riders keeps coming back. It was surprising enough to hear they were making Zero Gravity, then they sprung Sonic Free Riders on us for Kinect. It's to the point where I wonder if somebody at Sega owes somebody on the Sonic Riders team a favor.

Apparently Free Riders won some kind of "Best Kinect Game" award in Japan, too, so at this point a fourth Sonic Riders game might not be out of the question.

EchosMyron1 said:
Yeah, Heroes wasn't fun, super mediocre, average, lame gimmick. However, the real dark turn for the series happened with Shadow The Hedgehog. That game might even rival Sonic 06, in terms of flat-out atrociousness.

The thing about Heroes is, that, at least every other 3D Sonic had a reason to go back and play it. With most bad Sonic games, there's a clear delineation between game-play styles that are good and bad. Sonic Adventure 2 isn't a good game, but a lot of the Sonic/Shadow stages are awesome (metal harbor, green jungle, radical highway, city escape). Sonic 06 is just hilarious to play and make fun of with a group of friends. Heroes is just so banal it might as well not even exist.

I don't go back to Sonic Heroes as much as I do SA1 and SA2, but I still occasionally put it in once every couple of years and play a handful of the "best" levels (usually Seaside Hill, Ocean Palace, Grand Metropolis and Egg Fleet).

I find that if you can stomach their voice clips, Team Rose is actually the ideal "team" to play Sonic Heroes as, because their levels are usually less than half the length of everybody else's. A level that may take Team Sonic 10 or 15 minutes to clear will typically take Team Rose 5 minutes or less. Greatly reduces the set piece repetition, and in turn makes the game more palatable.

As an owner of both, Riders > zero G though both are fun to race in and have enough changes to make it worth keeping them.

Zero g's story was very very slap dash barebones, not saying riders was any better but it has more of a plot going on and actual cut scenes not basic flash animations.

RobbieNick

Sega1991 said:
I find that if you can stomach their voice clips, Team Rose is actually the ideal "team" to play Sonic Heroes as, because their levels are usually less than half the length of everybody else's. A level that may take Team Sonic 10 or 15 minutes to clear will typically take Team Rose 5 minutes or less. Greatly reduces the set piece repetition, and in turn makes the game more palatable.

Don't wanna play as a couple of little girls and a big fat idiot thanks. XP

Sega1991 said:
Apparently Free Riders won some kind of "Best Kinect Game" award in Japan, too, so at this point a fourth Sonic Riders game might not be out of the question.
Seriously ? Free riders was a total mess from what i've played ...

SykoTech

Still need to play the demo. This week's finally over, so I should have sometime.

Berordn said:

Agreed. The first Riders was not excellent by any means, but I had quite a lot of fun with it. I particularly liked the turbulence and drifting mechanics. Then Zero Gravity comes along and scraps both of those in favor of shoddy gravity gimmicks. I dropped that one less than a week.

Anth0ny

Sega1991 said:

People here are way too harsh on Heroes. I like it more than Unleashed and Colors.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the boost gameplay. WHICH IS WHY I HATE THE SPECIAL STAGES IN HEROES. Trying to get through them right now... even as team Rose it's fucking hard. Doesn't help that the pinball stage is the most annoying stage in the game, and I need to access the special stage from there...

Anth0ny said:
People here are way too harsh on Heroes. I like it more than Unleashed and Colors.

I guess I'm just not a fan of the boost gameplay. WHICH IS WHY I HATE THE SPECIAL STAGES IN HEROES. Trying to get through them right now... even as team Rose it's fucking hard. Doesn't help that the pinball stage is the most annoying stage in the game, and I need to access the special stage from there...
It's harder with team Rose if memory serves because of their shitty speed that makes catching up to the emeralds tougher than the other teams.

Nocturnowl said:
It's harder with team Rose if memory serves because of their shitty speed that makes catching up to the emeralds tougher than the other teams.

That's easily bypassed, though. If you tap the boost button during special stages, even characters like Big can haul some pretty significant ass - which makes his wide girth the ideal way to collect orbs, and thereby catch up to the emerald.

jman2050

The thing with Heroes is that the game got worse the further you got into it. The first two stages also happen to be the best two stages in the game.

And don't get me started on both railway stages.

FreeMufasa

jman2050 said:
The thing with Heroes is that the game got worse the further you got into it. The first two stages also happen to be the best two stages in the game.

I agree. Although the Jungle level is one of the better ones. Think it was a late stage.

Just played the demo on PS3. Classic Sonic plays pretty well, but I'm not really liking Modern Sonic. I find the reaction time from pressing a button in Modern Sonic is slower than I'd like.

I have Sonic Colors and it plays really well and reacts quickly, so it's nothing to do with framerate.

Is the 3DS version 60fps?

Berordn

jman2050 said:

Egg Fleet gave a tiny glimmer of hope for what could have been an incredible final stage, but Final Fortress manages to completely ruin it. Total bi-polar game.

Mr. Pointy said:
Could just be bad videos, but it doesn't look like it.

nns3d

_56208782_sonic.jpg

Was this posted?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Mr. Pointy said:
Just played the demo on PS3. Classic Sonic plays pretty well, but I'm not really liking Modern Sonic. I find the reaction time from pressing a button in Modern Sonic is slower than I'd like.

I have Sonic Colors and it plays really well and reacts quickly, so it's nothing to do with framerate.

Really? I thought Modern Sonic played much better here than in Sonic Colors (which never really clicked with me).

Mr. Pointy said:

Maybe it's input lag from the image processing on your TV? Have you switched it over to Game Mode, if it has one?

JonCha

Kulock said:
Maybe it's input lag from the image processing on your TV? Have you switched it over to Game Mode, if it has one?
Yeah. Modern Sonic is very responsive, so that's a little odd.

Lopson

Neo Member
I felt the same thing in regards to the responsiveness of both Sonics. Maybe it's my video scaling/processing unit that's not keeping up with the game.

Dark Schala said:
Yuzoboy has been getting some work done already. He sped up the demo version of Mystic Cave Zone and it sounds pretty good. He has a few other videos, I think, but I liked the Mystic Cave one the best.

You can hear Star Light Zone's hi-hats and bass drum clearer in the demo version.

Death Egg Zone also sounds cool.

Man, I can't wait to get my copy and see if there are any liner notes in there. :O
I want a copy of the Sonic 1/2 Collection soundtrack. Where can I buy it?

I mean this right here? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNozuN6DDOU I'm crying manly tears.

vulva

this doesn't really seem like it deserves a full thread or anything, but felt compelled to post this.

I was at an EB Games today and casually asked about the release date on Generations since I couldn't remember it. The conversation went down like this:

Clerk: Same day as Uncharted 3
Me: When's that?
C: Ah, I guess you don't like full games. Nov 1.
M: Wait, Sonic Generations isn't a full game?
C: Well a full experience. Story, different gameplay, cinematics.
M: Oh, I guess cinematic gameplay just isn't for me. I'm not huge on cutscenes.
C: Even then, the gameplay in Uncharted 2 was amazing.
M: I guess it was well done. I just don't really like shooting, it's a bit repetitive for me I guess.
C: How can you like Sonic and say you don't like repetitive things.
M: I guess it's just a different opinion and different preferences.
C: Yeah, I guess I just go for more creative games (to be fair, he didn't say this in a condescending tone. He seemed just... serious)

at that point I just left.

what

[Nintex]

vulva said:
was that a dig at me? =(
No but it sounds like how someone from here would respond. Depending on what he likes...
"Buying Dance Central 2? What, why no Gears of War 3?"
"... Kirby really... no Zelda? What are you 12?"

Anth0ny

Dark Schala said:
An addendum to that-- CD Japan seems like the best bet for this. The last time I checked, they had 22 copies left. Plus they ship pretty quickly.

Play-Asia is currently sold out.

damn it.

Looks like I'm waiting...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Anth0ny said:
damn it.

Looks like I'm waiting...
I've ordered artbooks, manga and CDs from CD Japan multiple times and have had no problems with them. If you want to stick with P-A, that's good too (but the CD ships in 2-4 weeks, apparently). YesAsia seems to charge the most out of all of them.

I'm a little bored, so I decided to translate the story pages for both the JP Blue site and the JP white site. I didn't realize that the story pages for both versions are different. It explains why the Blue Adventure site has less images. Kinda feels like I'm translating strange prose, so I made some changes for better English flow. The way it's written on the site bugs me.

Also, chili dogs are mentioned in the Blue Adventure portion. :p

Sonic Generations: White Time and Space / Shiro no Jikuu (X360/PS3/PC)

Today's Sonic's birthday. A party is about to begin, full of treats which Sonic’s friends prepared.

Or at least, it was supposed to…

A mysterious monster attacks out of nowhere, and Sonic’s friends are absorbed into a vortex. Sonic is left [alone], helpless.

Nothing but a white world in front of his eyes…
What is this place?
Where are his friends?
With everything remaining a mystery, an adventure that crosses both time and space begins!

Sonic Generations: Blue Adventure / Ao no Bouken (3DS)

Sonic is invited to a birthday party which Tails organized. With a chili dog in his hand, Sonic's in a pretty good mood.

But…

A mysterious monster attacks out of the blue, and Tails is absorbed into a vortex! Sonic is left [alone], helpless.

Nothing but a white world in front of his eyes…
What is this place?
Where's Tails?
With everything remaining a mystery, an adventure that crosses both time and space begins!

Edit: decided to add spoiler tags in case people want to go in fresh! :)

Dark Schala said:
I'm a little bored, so I decided to translate the story pages for both the JP Blue site and the JP white site. I didn't realize that the story pages for both versions are different. It explains why the Blue Adventure site has less images. Kinda feels like I'm translating strange prose, so I made some changes for better English flow. The way it's written on the site bugs me.

Also, chili dogs are mentioned in the Blue Adventure portion. :p

I suspect the Blue Adventure summary might be written from Classic Sonic's perspective, since it only mentions Tails.

vulva said:
this doesn't really seem like it deserves a full thread or anything, but felt compelled to post this.

I was at an EB Games today and casually asked about the release date on Generations since I couldn't remember it. The conversation went down like this:

Clerk: Same day as Uncharted 3
Me: When's that?
C: Ah, I guess you don't like full games. Nov 1.
M: Wait, Sonic Generations isn't a full game?
C: Well a full experience. Story, different gameplay, cinematics.
M: Oh, I guess cinematic gameplay just isn't for me. I'm not huge on cutscenes.
C: Even then, the gameplay in Uncharted 2 was amazing.
M: I guess it was well done. I just don't really like shooting, it's a bit repetitive for me I guess.
C: How can you like Sonic and say you don't like repetitive things.
M: I guess it's just a different opinion and different preferences.
C: Yeah, I guess I just go for more creative games (to be fair, he didn't say this in a condescending tone. He seemed just... serious)

at that point I just left.

what

I don't get clerks who dissuade people from buying games at all, I got both pre-ordered but my EB Games can't mess with me because I am customer #20 in their store registry lol

Greektown

Neo Member
hey guys i have played both the 360 and ps3 versions of the demo side by side.
1. the PS3 version is a bit pale while the 360s colours are richer.
2. when looking close at sonics model, the ps3 version seems to have much less jaggies and sonic looks cleaner. the 360 version is more crisp but this leads to rougher edges as they are not "smoothed" out.
3. The framerate of the 360 is more constant and stays at 30 fps. the PS3 version is almost identical but maybe a bit more of a slowdown in some areas like breaking the bridge compared to the 360s slowdown.

I am actually very surprised how similar these two versions are. But the main thing I've noticed is how much more CGI/smoother sonics model is when looking close to the monitor. Man I dont know what system to get it for. I also like 360s controller better for it though.

Teknoman

gutter_trash said:
I don't get clerks who dissuade people from buying games at all, I got both pre-ordered but my EB Games can't mess with me because I am customer #20 in their store registry lol

If someone tries to buy rouge warrior or m&m cart racing, you can bet im going to try and convince them to get mario kart or splinter cell instead. Something like what he experiencwd is a little messed up though.

Top Bottom