• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Generations |OT| What Sonic can learn from Sonic

dock

I'll go back and see if I can figure it out. TBH I hate the unlock structure, and wish there were an unlock all so I could just get on with playing the game.

Make sure you've cleared all the mainline acts, too. IIRC that message only shows up if you haven't completed a given world with both Classic and Modern, well before the mission gates open up to let you get the keys.

Yeah the hub world is horrible.

It's rather have a full open area hub world (like sonic adventure ) but the generation hub world is wayy better than the choose the next area point & click map from adventure 2 or rush 1.. ( or sonic >.< 4 )

Just don't do a SONIC 06 hub world and everyone will keep their sanity ...

Christopher

It's rather have a full open area hub world (like sonic adventure ) but the generation hub world is wayy better than the choose the next area point & click map from adventure 2 or rush 1.. ( or sonic >.< 4 )

Just don't do a SONIC 06 hub world and everyone will keep their sanity ...

The hub world in 06 wasn't bad is was how Sonic could bump into something and fall or die at any moment at least adventure didn't do that to yoi

The hub world in 06 wasn't bad is was how Sonic could bump into something and fall or die at any moment at least adventure didn't do that to yoi

the hub world in 06 was bad in the sense that the transitions weren't fast enough ...

It was :

-too big
-too many loadings to get where you want
-not that fun to explore ...

iavi

And to add to that - Sonic controlled as horribly on the hub world as he did in stage, which led to a ton of running/sliding into walls.

Christopher

I'm still suprised they haven't brushed up on the game or released a fixed version addressing bugs and load times...at least it will be playable.

SimonM7

I think the Unleashed 360/PS3 hub stuff was cool, just the right size and very atmospheric - but I'd like some of the easter eggyness back from Sonic Adventure. I loved that sense of there being some cool hidden stuff if you poked around some, and in Unleashed it's all a bit backdropesque and static.

unleashed was fine .. i'm not a fan but it worked and wasn't that big .. except the city in desert hub ( all of them ) ..unleashed would had been a fine game if not for the "night"

TheOGB

Banned
Unleashed succeeded where every Sonic hub world failed before it, in that its hub worlds were populated with characters that were interesting and not hideous/out of place. I enjoyed doing missions for the NPCs and seeing them "grow", travel and such.

Generations definitely was not in need of anything like that, so the type of hub they had served its purpose well enough, though it could have been done better.

bumpkin

Anybody played the 3DS game?
I actually just picked it up a few days ago and it's better than I was expecting. The Sonic Cycle has been especially brutal in recent years, so my expectations were more or less in the toilet. I'll echo others' sentiments that sudden, unexpected death traps feel pretty prevalent, especially in later stages. But overall, I don't feel "bad" about the purchase. It's hard to say what I expect out of a Sonic game these days -- the last portable Sonic game I played was the second GBA entry -- but Generations on 3DS is good enough that I'll finish it and likely do some of the extra stuff (missions) after.

Something I'm wondering through is how different is the console version? Would I be basically playing the same game if I picked that up on Xbox 360 at some point down the line?

OMG Aero

I actually just picked it up a few days ago and it's better than I was expecting. The Sonic Cycle has been especially brutal in recent years, so my expectations were more or less in the toilet. I'll echo others' sentiments that sudden, unexpected death traps feel pretty prevalent, especially in later stages. But overall, I don't feel "bad" about the purchase. It's hard to say what I expect out of a Sonic game these days -- the last portable Sonic game I played was the second GBA entry -- but Generations on 3DS is good enough that I'll finish it and likely do some of the extra stuff (missions) after.

Something I'm wondering through is how different is the console version? Would I be basically playing the same game if I picked that up on Xbox 360 at some point down the line?
The only things that are the same between versions is that both of them start with Green Hill Zone (but the level layout is different), the rival bosses are the same (but you fight them differently), the last boss is the same (but it's a completely different kind of fight) and the "story" is the same (but with cutscenes in the console version as opposed to static dialogue boxes).
For all intents and purposes they are different games and it's not like the 3DS version is just a watered down version of the console game.

bumpkin

The only things that are the same between versions is that both of them start with Green Hill Zone (but the level layout is different), the rival bosses are the same (but you fight them differently), the last boss is the same (but it's a completely different kind of fight) and the "story" is the same (but with cutscenes in the console version as opposed to static dialogue boxes).
For all intents and purposes they are different games and it's not like the 3DS version is just a watered down version of the console game.
Hmm, that's good to hear... Maybe I'll check out the console version when I get done playing it on 3DS. It's nice when the portable versions are unique from their console iterations. The console and 3DS versions of Skylanders were distinct adventures in terms of story and mechanics. They were different enough from each other that I didn't mind double-dipping.

qq more

You'll love the console version if you like the 3DS version. If you end up enjoying Modern Sonic's 3D gameplay then I do suggest picking up Sonic Colors for the Wii.

Top Bottom