• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Littleberu said:
Is the hive attacked or something?
bioshock.jpg

Huh What was that?

jmd494

jett said:

Ya see...THIS is why screenshots suck for judging games. There is so much more detail , contrast, and sharpeness in this "Deferred composition" picture that most people would look at it and say it was better looking (I mean look at the gun model's detail for fuck's sake!). On top of that, the colors in the "deferred compositon" image are more vibrant and the world looks more "moody" than in the "target" image.

But in motion, that motion blur will look amazing...instead of serving to diminish detail. And I'm betting the washed out lighting/color loss is specific to this area and is a more realistic potrayal of real life than the more colorful image.

Whether I'm right or wrong about which would look better in motion, videos/demos are still the only real fair way to make a judgement.

Ezza

bluheim said:
AI and Physics are done on the PPU, according to the doc. What could the 3 remaining SPUs be used for ?

One spu is always reserved for the OS so that leaves two. Maybe sound and I don't know what else, animation?

And beaten.

KillzoneSPU.jpg

Fascinating, at the very least there is another SPU waiting to be used. I'm trying to figure outside of sound, what's left? Helps assists the rest in general perhaps?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Fucking crazy.

That's all I gotta say.

If only everyone used the hardware that well.

VonGak!

Banned
Mmmkay said:
Am I late to the party?

Said the guy with the liquor.

Haunted One said:
Very nice doc, mmmkay. The post-processing done is really the thing that makes the graphics stand out.

Nah, it's the geometry and lighting.

Luckyman said:
Without post-processing magic it looks like.. Do not want.

Dunno, the game is meant to be seen in motion for the 3D effect generated by the lighting to kick in.

tha_con said:
You guy's should really check out the 'scene lighting' image in the PDF. Even w/out textures it looks pretty freaking impressive!

Yup, seems like the guy who described the lighting some time ago was pretty spot on.

jett said:
Can't wait to see what a closer to final KZ2's gonna look like...those textures better be replaced. :p

Don't get your hopes too high.

There's nothing wrong with the texture resolution but I do not expect the game to use much parallax, normal, bump and so on mapping types due to they gain their 3D feel from pre calculated lighting where as in KZ2 the 3D depth is from real time calculated light cast on actual geometry.

I mean it could seem awkward if the BUMP mapped wall texture doesn't fit with the lighting.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
KillzoneSPU.jpg

Fascinating, at the very least there is another SPU waiting to be used. I'm trying to figure outside of sound, what's left? Helps assists the rest in general perhaps?

According to that pic it looks like there's still a lot of juice to be tapped from the 4 SPUs.
Only ~1/3 is dedicated.

Littleberu said:
Is the hive attacked or something?

Heh

DontStopTheTatakai said:
http://xs318.xs.to/xs318/07326/scenelighting.jpg

!

LOL :D

Wollan

VonGak! said:
According to that pic it looks like there's still a lot of juice to be tapped from the 4 SPUs.
Only ~1/3 is dedicated.

That's a timeline for each frame though from left to right. They're used fully under the rendering process.

VonGak!

Banned
sleeping_dragon said:
2007 E3 trailer +

Still a lot of features planned
‣ Ambient occlusion / contact shadows
‣ Shadows on transparent geometry
‣ More efficient anti-aliasing
‣ Dynamic radiosity

= E3 2005 trailer !? *faint*

Dynamic radiosity should make quite an impact, IMHO.

VonGak!

Banned
Wollan said:
That's a timeline for each frame though from left to right. They're used fully under the rendering process.

Are you sure of that? To me it looks like the dark blue portion is when the SPUs are idle.

EDIT: But I didn't notice that AI and prepare draw was shown two times, so the SPU idle time is less than 2/3.

Wollan

They're idle yes at those times. I have no idea how much more they can stuff in there with future projects and how much more time you can dedicate them to rendering before it goes wrong.

Wollan

I hope so but if something is shown it's most likely not something new. I'm guessing we may see a few new screens and maybe some more info alongside them but I doubt it will be playable or anything like that.

Busty

Banned
Wollan said:
They're idle yes at those times. I have no idea how much more they can stuff in there with future projects and how much more time you can dedicate them to rendering before it goes wrong.

I usually loathe talk of percentages when it comes to processor power. But owing to CELL's 'exotic' architecture it seems alot more interesting and relevant when trying to get all the pieces to work as a whole.

A few weeks ago (before E3 IIRC) on the Fullmoon Insomniac podcast they had one of the head honchos of Naughty Dog (the name escapes me) on as a special guest. In the interview he said that they checked the PPE/SPU usage of Uncharted on CELL using the profiler in the EDGE toolset. He said that Uncharted was using just 30% of the CELLs power.

It seems to me that the PS3 truly is a bespoke video game console. Here we have a unit with massive amounts of raw power that can produce games like KZ2 while it struggles to run 'one size fits all' engines like UE3 without serious optimisation due to the radical nature of it's processor's design.

llTll

Banned
i think i am missing something here. is there a place where i can get the best HD video for this game ? [ not the E3 trailer crap ]

everyone is saying how awesome it look but i cant see it. the only awesome i see here is the animation. i have never seen a better animation in fps game. but i do not see it graphics wise. which is why i am asking for walkthro HD video or something high rez so i can tell :/

Busty said:
I usually loathe talk of percentages when it comes to processor power. But owing to CELL's 'exotic' architecture it seems alot more interesting and relevant when trying to get all the pieces to work as a whole.

A few weeks ago (before E3 IIRC) on the Fullmoon Insomniac podcast they had one of the head honchos of Naughty Dog (the name escapes me) on as a special guest. In the interview he said that they checked the PPE/SPU usage of Uncharted on CELL using the profiler in the EDGE toolset. He said that Uncharted was using just 30% of the CELLs power.

It seems to me that the PS3 truly is a bespoke video game console. Here we have a unit with massive amounts of raw power that can produce games like KZ2 while it struggles to run 'one size fits all' engines like UE3 without serious optimisation due to the radical nature of it's processor's design.

But what does it really mean? It says nothing about memory usage or even GPU power. At least it's clear Cell is not the bottleneck.

JCBossman

Banned
KILLZONE<GEARS OF WAR, Lets be Honest...Say you are being chased by HUGE Monsters,you hit a perpendicular street, you look to your right and their is Fenix, Dom, Coletrain and Brad, you look to the left and their is four (who even KNOWS their names) dudes from Killzone, Question: Which direction are you running for safety? Game Over....:lol

JCBossman said:
KILLZONE<GEARS OF WAR, Lets be Honest...Say you are being chased by HUGE Monsters,you hit a perpendicular street, you look to your right and their is Fenix, Dom, Coletrain and Brad, you look to the left and their is four (who even KNOWS their names) dudes from Killzone, Question: Which direction are you running for safety? Game Over....:lol

Is this supposed to be funny or something?

edit: nevermind it's JCBossman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom