• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Killzone 2 (PS3) Reveal Thread E307 - DELIVERS! (All info in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wollan

OneselfHeader.gif

Kudos to Oneself for creating the header.

INTRODUCTION PRE-REVEAL

Okay. Everyone take a deep breath. The time is now finally here.
On Tuesday July 10th Sony will reveal Killzone PS3 for the first time ever to the gaming press. This will take place at Sushi Roku, Santa Monica at 9:30pm and the event will last until Midnight. When will we hear about it? Most likely the impressions and more will go live the following day during the Sony E3 Press Conference which starts 11:30am but who
knows... Sony's first ever fps franchise returns with a vengeance. Will it be what people want? Will it be what the fans want? The game certainly has some baggage attached to it and due to this emotions will run free. Hopefully we can all keep our cools. Take a deep breath. Take a look at media from other console games and get some perspective. If you want to read up on some info pre-reveal then visit the Killzone PS3 rumors & facts meltdown thread. Okay. Everyone set? Stack up on popcorn & beverage and let the good times roll.

MadeByOneSelf.gif

REVEAL

Press Release:

11/07/2007 09:00
INTRODUCING KILLZONE™ 2, THE ULTIMATE FIRST-PERSON SHOOTER FOR PLAYSTATION®3
Highly Anticipated Follow-Up to the Top-Selling Killzone™ Delivers Next-Gen Gameplay, Stunning High Definition Graphics, and Ultra-Realistic Combat

SANTA MONICA, Calif., July 11, 2007 – Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. announced the 2008 release of Killzone™ 2, available exclusively for the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3™) computer entertainment system. Developed by Guerrilla Games, a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Computer Entertainment, Killzone 2 throws players back into the midst of a hostile and dramatic ongoing battle between the ISA and Helghast army. Following events and action from the original Killzone for PlayStation®2, Killzone 2 sets a new standard for next-gen gaming by delivering intense warfare with incredibly lifelike character animations, highly detailed and destructible environments, realistic physics, and advanced levels of artificial intelligence (A.I.).

Unveiled for the first time Tuesday evening at an exclusive media event in Santa Monica, the Killzone 2 demo awed guests with action-packed sequences full of detail and game variety, sure to draw players right into the heart of battle. Once again set in an extreme post-modern war, Killzone 2 utilizes the power of PLAYSTATION 3 to deliver a striking graphical style that showcases a gritty realism unique to the Killzone franchise.

“There have rightly been high expectations for Killzone 2 since we shared the vision for the title back in 2005,” said Phil Harrison, president, Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios. “Guerrilla have worked hard to focus the power of PLAYSTATION 3 to realize their true vision for the game. With incredible action, drama-fueled gameplay sequences, and a vast array of weapons and vehicles, Killzone 2 defines a new benchmark of our industry.”

Two years after the Helghast assault on Vekta, the ISA is bringing the fight to the enemy’s home world of Helghan. Taking the role of Sev, the battle-hardened veteran of the special forces unit known as the Legion, players will embark upon a mission to the planet Helghan to capture the Helghast leader, Emperor Visari, and bring the enemy’s war machine to a halt. For Sev and his squad, the invasion of Helghan is just the beginning. Tasked with securing Pyrrhus, the Capital City, the team quickly discovers that the Helghast are a formidable enemy on their home planet. Not only have they adjusted to the planet’s hostile conditions, they have also harnessed a source of power from the environment that can be used against the ISA. Sev and his team soon discover the fight is greater than simply addressing the enemy forces; the Legion must also learn how to handle the effects of the fierce enemy planet.

With an extensive, story-driven single-player mode and thrilling multiplayer mode, Killzone 2 offers a host of new elements that caters to both hardcore and casual gamers alike. The game features highly atmospheric environments that respond accurately to weapon fire as players storm through the world of Helghan. The harsh climate and conditions of Helghan are also a factor, forcing players to adapt new tactics to survive. Proprietary tools and technology such as deferred rendering techniques are implemented to create advanced effects, such as ultra-vivid and detailed character animations and environments. Advanced cinematic effects are used to provide unprecedented visuals, including motion blur, internal lens reflections, and depth-based color grading that will let players experience gameplay that is sharp, detailed, and vibrant. Additionally, Killzone 2 supports 7.1 surround with location-specific audio, providing players the opportunity to experience sound and music that are not only dynamic but in context to indoor and outdoor locations.

Game Features & Info:

• Title: Killzone 2
• Release: 2008
• Developer: Guerrilla
• Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
• Details:
Story driven singleplayer campaign. Urban warfare to vehicle focused levels and more. In between missions return to ISA cruiser ship which function as a hub. You're always co-operating with a tight squad of soldiers. First person cover system. The Helghast take use of their homeworld weather as a weapon. Expect a large and varied lineup of enemies (grunts, droids, dogs..etc) and weapons. Story starts media res (in the middle, invasion of Helghast homeworld already taking place). You're playing only a single character this time (special force 'Legion' trooper named Sev) and there will be returning characters with Rico most notably being your squad leader. Multiplayer currently supports 16 players and will support Killzone.com website & PlayStation Home extensively. Game engine is all covering: Destroyable environment, dynamic lighting & shadows, range of filter effects, motion blur, FSAA, huge scale & highly advanced animation, 7.1 location specific audio and more. Much more details to be revealed over time.

Trailer/Videos:

GameReactor ~30min play through and demonstration (Leipzig):
• Right Click and Save, larger Video (part 1) @ GameReactor including interviews with Director & Producer
• Right Click and Save, larger Video (part 2) @ GameReactor including interviews with Director & Producer (co-op confirmed?)

E3:
• Great gameplay video @ Jeuxvideo.tv
• HD Trailer @ GameTrailers
• SD Trailer @ GameTrailers
• Trailer in high quality @ Stage6
• HD Gameplay Section (audio problems) @ GameTrailers
• SD Gameplay Section (audio problems) @ GameTrailers
• If you have IGN Insider then download the one on the top left.
• Audience presentation & reaction @ YouTube
• Interview with Guerrilla staff @ BBC
• Fan made Killzone tribute - Excellent stuff @ GameTrailers

Trailer is now available on the PS Store.

Pics:

HelghastEyes.jpg

Helghastpain.jpg

Goodguys.jpg

KZ25.jpg

HelghastDroid.jpg

HelghanBattle.jpg

Link to page with impressions for full reveal:
Page 43 - It all started here, congrats Guerrilla.

Incase of "500 - Internal Server Error", retreat to the NeoGAF Killzone IRC channel.

Impressions & Previews & More:

• Killzone 2 @ Leipzig Resource Thread

• N'Gai Croal E3 Hands-On Impression (Part 1)
• N'Gai Croal E3 Hands-On Impression Expanded Details (Part 2)

• GamesRadar impression
• BBC Impression
• IGN Impression
• Chris Kohler's impression
• Eurogamer Impression
• Gamespot impression
• Kotaku Impression

• IGN Interview

• KZ2 E3 Presentation - Behind the Scenes @ Killzone.com
• Right Click and Save - Deferred Rendering in Killzone 2 Presentation (PDF) @ Develop Conference
• PlayStation Blog Entry
• USA Today
• www.Killzone.com (Official Franchise Site)
• http://www.guerrilla-games.com/ (Company Site)

KZFooter.gif

Could that pic be something from the GDC demo?

The reason I say this is because of the golden light source on the screen looks like a tool used to demonstrate lighting in the game...

and didn't they demonstrate the lighting of Killzone at GDC?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

deejay8595

my posts are "MEH"
THIS IS INSANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

WE MADE IT 2 YEARS....AHHHHHHHHHHHH

TONIGHT IS THE NIGHT!!!!

OR SHALL I SAY TOMORROWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH...LOLOLOL...LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wollan

I will happily edit if that turns out to be a fake pic but everything seems to indicate that is indeed real. OMG.

We need bigger and more pics. But why is the armor so different? before they wore those cool cloak like things. Now the helghast look generic kind of :(

Give a logical reasoning on why it is fake. It's posted by USAToday, and they usually leak small stuff like this unintentionally. I think they also leaked info on DS Lite or something a few days earlier just like that.

Killzone PS3!

I'm ridin this mutha****in snake to Valhalla! I really hope Guerrilla can pull off the kind of WWII/Jin-roh scope that Killzone should have. It looks like sex so far.

Ploid 3.0

[First page space for sale]

lol at the kermit gif

Omg today is the day, or tomorrow. Anyway, it shall be a awesome day!

CrushDance said:
We need bigger and more pics. But why is the armor so different? before they wore those cool cloak like things. Now the helghast look generic kind of :(
Different kind of helghast maybe? :p I'm sure they will both be in.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I have never seen this degree of anticipation before for a sequel to such a mediocre game!!!

LET'S DO THIS! LEEEEEEEEEEEEEEROY JENNNNNNNNKIAAAYANNNNNNNNSSSSSS!

Come on you ****ers! Give me an excuse to get a PS3 before the gimped EE-less version comes out!

I'm hyped six ways to sunday!!!

Wollan

No indications that this is fake. Both the model and the gun are booth unique and it all totally fits together and the graphics (while OMGBBQ) are still gamey.

The gun doesn't have a scope on it, but other than that it's very similar... and I'm NOT talking about the one the Helghan is holding, I mean the one the player is holding. My eyesight is fine kthkxbye.

Joates

Banned
Wollan said:
No indications that this is fake. Both the model and the gun are booth unique and it all totally fits together and the graphics (while OMGBBQ) are still gamey.

Time will tell soon enough.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Whatever about anything else, I am SURE the picture came from Sony. They even have a quote from a Sony guy with game details, so they clearly have discussed the game with Sony and/or have material on it. USA Today rather naively posts up stuff, and they do get stuff early. As a previous high profile example, they posted a pic of the DS in an article before it was officially announced.

seb

Banned
OK. I FEEL LIKE I'M TALKING TO MY GRAN'MA, BUT FINE.

Anyway, someone could give a time in hours from now please ? I'm not sure about the time zone conversion.

polyh3dron said:
The gun doesn't have a scope on it, but other than that it's very similar... and I'm NOT talking about the one the Helghan is holding, I mean the one the player is holding. My eyesight is fine kthkxbye.

YOU ARE INSANE. THE GUNS LOOK COMPLETELY DIFFERENT. NONSENSE

Aaron

Karma Kramer said:
EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD MUST POST ALL CAPS TO SHOW HOW LOUD AND EXCITED WE ARE! THIS IS NOT A JOKE POST! ****ING DO IT.
YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS GAME VERY MUCH. I WAS ONE OF THE PROUD FEW WHO KINDA LIKED THE ORIGINAL!

Aaron said:
YOU AREN'T THE BOSS OF ME! I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS GAME VERY MUCH. I WAS ONE OF THE PROUD FEW WHO KINDA LIKED THE ORIGINAL!
:(
Karma Kramer said:
EVERYONE IN THIS THREAD MUST POST ALL CAPS TO SHOW HOW LOUD AND EXCITED WE ARE! THIS IS NOT A JOKE POST! ****ING DO IT.
:(

Just kidding with you.:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom