• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

Ranger X

Two weeks without VC games. Wow. Ridiculous.

Nintendo really fucking sucks. I swear this will happen as my worse fear was telling me: they lack updates (therefore will lack sales), they will lack support (because of the lack of interest they did cause) and then they will stop it and say "err, it wasn't really a popular service so we thought we'd stop"

Of course, they won't see that it's THEIR FAULT ALL ALONG that there is no good sales. Way to have your fucking head in the sand. Again, FUCK YOU NOA. I will do my best in order to buy the less games possible from Wiiware. Count on me.

KoffiiKat

Oli said:
Here's a little question for the Telltale fans out there:

Should I get into Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People series? Or Tales of Monkey Island? I'm not overly familiar with either franchise, only visited HSR website a few times in my day and have never played another MI game...

Sooo, just wondering which is the better series of the two.

I think the jokes of TOMI would be more universally accessible - I'd recommend watching a few Strong Bad eps online before trying out the game, to make sure it's something you'll enjoy, while TOMI is easier to get into even if you haven't played any Monkey Island games previously. As for general quality... While I enjoyed the first ep of SBCG4AP, the first TOMI episode is just stellar in my opinion. Your results may vary if you vastly prefer "click-to-walk" over "use keyboard/nunchuck to walk" controls, though.

In either event, you should consider the PC version. It's much cheaper, especially if you get the 5-in-1 season bundle (it's a no-brainer if you live in Europe, really). Not to mention that if you go for TOMI, you'll be at the mercy of NoA/NoE when it comes to release dates, which is just asking to get your hopes crushed on a regular basis.

The Hermit

Lemmy Caution said:
The video quality isn't great, fine, but the frame-rate stutters in the opening, and the sounds quality for dialogue and effects is quite poor. I'm usually not too picky in the technical departments, but this is only time I've felt really perturbed by the Wiiware limitations. I have the first four Strongbad games, and thought they all sounded and looked great.

I don't have the PC version to compare, but I'm really disappointed the Wii Tales of Monkey Island looks and sounds pretty crappy. A little level adjustment helped, and once I get into the story I'll hopefully forget about this, but this game lacks the polish I'd hoped for.

I felt pretty much the same... I played this yesterday and it was the first time I really regretted buying a Wiiware game.
I am far from picky with graphics and such (hey I have a Wii after all), but this time it felt like playing a PC game on a really old PC, with abysmal framerate, stuttering and long pauses before a cutscene.
Also the font of the subtitles are ridiculous!

It shows it was a straight port, with no tweaking at all... quite a shame :(

Ranger X said:

Nintendo really fucking sucks. I swear this will happen as my worse fear was telling me: they lack updates (therefore will lack sales), they will lack support (because of the lack of interest they did cause) and then they will stop it and say "err, it wasn't really a popular service so we thought we'd stop"

Of course, they won't see that it's THEIR FAULT ALL ALONG that there is no good sales. Way to have your fucking head in the sand. Again, FUCK YOU NOA. I will do my best in order to buy the less games possible from Wiiware. Count on me.

:lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Ranger X said:

are you ok?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I suppose it's "too late" for Telltale to enhance the future ports, as I assume the code is mostly done already.

Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other industries where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a gamer over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Wii games, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and continue supporting the Virtual Console or you can kiss your business goodbye.

No, but really, no offense, I personally think that you're getting all riled up over nothing. Nintendo would never stop releasing Virtual Console games without telling people, and besides, most good, old games are available, including many good games most have never heard of, like Star Parodier and other PC Engine games.

Oli

KoffiiKat said:
I think the jokes of TOMI would be more universally accessible - I'd recommend watching a few Strong Bad eps online before trying out the game, to make sure it's something you'll enjoy, while TOMI is easier to get into even if you haven't played any Monkey Island games previously. As for general quality... While I enjoyed the first ep of SBCG4AP, the first TOMI episode is just stellar in my opinion. Your results may vary if you vastly prefer "click-to-walk" over "use keyboard/nunchuck to walk" controls, though.

In either event, you should consider the PC version. It's much cheaper, especially if you get the 5-in-1 season bundle (it's a no-brainer if you live in Europe, really). Not to mention that if you go for TOMI, you'll be at the mercy of NoA/NoE when it comes to release dates, which is just asking to get your hopes crushed on a regular basis.

Was definitely thinking along the same lines. After watching some Monkey Island and Strong Bad stuff, I feel as though MI fits my sense of humor a bit better.

Is there any way to demo the PC version? To see how well it would run on my computer and whatnot.

Apenheul

I downloaded Detana!! Twinbee today which is a blast to play (I just love co-op shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups). I haven't touched the Golden Axe series yet though, is it worth checking out if I really like games like turtles2/3/intime, final fight, streets of rage or do I expect too much?

Devil World came out on the European VC last year. Translating stuff like Famicom Wars and Fire Emblem would take effort and is probably not worth the time from a financial point of view. Though there are probably a lot of easier games they could quickly hack together.

sfog

Apenheul said:
I downloaded Detana!! Twinbee today which is a blast to play (I just love co-op shoot-em-ups and beat-em-ups). I haven't touched the Golden Axe series yet though, is it worth checking out if I really like games like turtles2/3/intime, final fight, streets of rage or do I expect too much?

The Golden Axe series is pretty good if you like the genre, although it isn't quite up to the level of the Streets of Rage trilogy or Turtles in Time. I'd skip the first game (imo the second is better), and get impressions about the third (it's my favorite of the three but it tends to garner mixed reviews overall).

Send in the Clowns said:
Translating stuff like Famicom Wars and Fire Emblem would take effort and is probably not worth the time from a financial point of view.
They are not worth it from a gameplay point of view either. They literilly bring nothing to the table. Famicom Wars isn't required since it the maps have appeared in Advance Wars titles and the gameplay is much more refined (it would be like EA putting up Madden 2000 on XBLA).

The original Fire Emblem is just painful to play nowerdays. How painful? Characters can hold 4 items, there is no trade command (I think there is a give command but the person you are giving to needs item slots free), the only storage is a tent on the map which costs money to deposit and withdraw from (plus ti doesn't have a great deal of space, 40 items I think) and I hav'nt even gotten to crazy loops staff users had to go through to gain EXP. Plus its been remade twice first a cut-down version appearing as the first part of the SNES sequel and the second time is Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon on the DS.

Still, that little point aside if they're bringing over stuff like Smash Ping Pong I can't see what is holding back say, Nazo no Murasame-jo. I have the Famicom Mini verison of it but I wouldn't mind a version I can play without vertical scaling.

HUELEN10

Send in the Clowns said:
Devil World came out on the European VC last year. Translating stuff like Famicom Wars and Fire Emblem would take effort and is probably not worth the time from a financial point of view. Though there are probably a lot of easier games they could quickly hack together.
Like Mother 1...
:(

Somnid

HUELEN10 said:
Altered huh? Will this one those "paid demo" type games, or is it actually something substantial? I am asking because I am not familiar with SimTower.

It sounds like the game was sized down a little to fit into DSiWare space constraints but it should be a full game. I'm not overly familar with Sim Tower either.

Somnid said:
Looks like Nintendo will be putting out The Tower DS Classic (Sim Tower) on DSiWare on August 26th in Japan. It clocks in as the most expensive DSiWare at 1000points and is an altered version of The Tower DS.

http://www.gpara.com/article/cms_show.php?c_id=15058&c_num=14

As my mother and I were fans of the original Sim Tower, we are both disappointed that only Japan is getting these games.

I wonder if it is licensing issues? Even if so, Sim Earth and Sim City are on the Virtual Console.

Even still, it is much more likely that they will release The Tower in America, if it is on DSiWare.

HUELEN10 said:
Like Mother 1...

Ive never played it but going by EB and Mother 3 it strikes me as something that would require quite a lot of translating and editing, especially some of the more quirkier dialog.

Starwolf_UK said:
They are not worth it from a gameplay point of view either.

Even so, their release would generate a little fanfare. There isn't enough coverage and attention paid to Virtual Console for them to be completely shitcanned if they got released. As far I can tell there is only one site that really covers Virtual Console properly. I only use one anyway...

Send in the Clowns said:
Ive never played it but going by EB and Mother 3 it strikes me as something that would require quite a lot of translating and editing, especially some of the more quirkier dialog.

Even so, their release would generate a little fanfare. There isn't enough coverage and attention paid to Virtual Console for them to be completely shitcanned if they got released. As far I can tell there is only one site that really covers Virtual Console properly. I only use one anyway...

Mother 1 has a full and complete official US localisation already, it was just never released on the NES.

HUELEN10

Send in the Clowns said:
Last time I checked, Mother 1 was already in english...

Somnid said:
It sounds like the game was sized down a little to fit into DSiWare space constraints but it should be a full game. I'm not overly familar with Sim Tower either.
Duly noted.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Why would you do that? said:
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about gaming culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in other industries where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw a gamer over, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gamers, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase Wii games, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's products. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Nintendo, publicly apologize and continue supporting the Virtual Console or you can kiss your business goodbye.

:lol I love meta-humour

Huge apologies for the poor maintenance of the thread for the last wee while. Between my honeymoon, my wife discovering she's pregnant and a nasty bout of food poisoning I haven't had much chance to do more than pop up a post or two on the boards. I'll be updating tomorrow, and things should be back on track now!

Hobbun said:
Congratulations! On the pregnancy that is, not the food poisoning. :)

Heh, cheers :)

Worst bit about the food poisoning was that it came just after we found out my wife was pregnant - both of us were feeling like crap, but we were more scared it might cause problems for her. Thankfully all seems OK.

HUELEN10 said:
Damn, pregnant WITH food poisoning. Hope she feels better! Congrats though.

Thanks - she does. Luckily I seemed to get the worst of it!

gerg said:
Mazeltov!

I do hope that it was a happy discovery...

Cheers - and yes, it was a very happy discovery!

gerg

Cosmonaut X said:
Huge apologies for the poor maintenance of the thread for the last wee while. Between my honeymoon, my wife discovering she's pregnant and a nasty bout of food poisoning I haven't had much chance to do more than pop up a post or two on the boards. I'll be updating tomorrow, and things should be back on track now!

Mazeltov!

I do hope that it was a happy discovery...

Apenheul

sfog said:
The Golden Axe series is pretty good if you like the genre, although it isn't quite up to the level of the Streets of Rage trilogy or Turtles in Time. I'd skip the first game (imo the second is better), and get impressions about the third (it's my favorite of the three but it tends to garner mixed reviews overall).

I think I will be getting Golden Axe 2 first then, only 800 Wii Points to gratify my curiosity for the series. Thanks for your advice!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Saint10118 said:
I hope so... I bought this and stutters isn't even the word for how nearly unplayable the first part of this game has been. I don't understand why they didn't just use a setup like in Secret of Monkey Island SE (which had some irritating save/load issues but nothing like this). I'm not sure how much longer I can put up with this (just got to the island and was able to look around).

FUCK.

This one was my most wanted Wiiware game besides Cave Story, no buy confirmed and I even bought another 4000 points in anticipation of the episodes coming out -__-

Netto-kun

Nintendo of Japan added alot of other DSiWare stuffs aside from the G&W and Electroplankton games.

To chain right brain with left brain: Ura no Ura; 200 Nintendo Points, by Tom Create (Not really sure about the games title. It's "Unou to sanou ga rensasuru: Ura no Ura" in Japanese.)
Othello; 500 Nintendo Points, by Arc System Works
Magical Drop Yurutto; 500 Nintendo Points, by G Mode (Yurutto?)
Card Hero Speed Battle Custom; 800 Nintendo Points, by Nintendo
Pocket Rurubu Hokkaido; 800 Nintendo Points, by Nintendo (no idea what "rurubu" means, this and the one below are "travel guide softwares")
Pocket Rurubu Okinawa; 800 Nintendo Points, by Nintendo

And congratulations to Cosmonaut X on the pregnancy.:D

schlew

I'm really confused concerning my feelings towards Tales of Monkey Island.

I think what's causing it is all the people who are saying that they will no longer purchase it.

I bought it, as I had been looking forward to it since its announcement, and I'm happy I have it. The issues it has cannot go without notice, but even when I take that into consideration, I'm still playing Tales of Monkey Island.

It's difficult, because yes, these problems add up and detract from the game as a whole. But, it's still a very fun game. Someone from Telltale said some odd things on the TT forums (the game "had" to come out on WiiWare, an iPhone has more power than the Wii), but they also mentioned that the framerate issues will be ironed out in future installments.

Originally I felt that they should've scrapped the project when it could very well be tarnishing their name, but, in the end I'm happy I got to play the game.

Cosmonaut X said:
Between my honeymoon, my wife discovering she's pregnant
Did she get pregnant on your honeymoon? Thats like a newleyweds nightmare if you weren't planning on it.

Netto-kun said:
Magical Drop Yurutto; 500 Nintendo Points, by G Mode (Yurutto?)
Very interested to hear more about this. I love Magical Drop, its my favorite puzzle game.

schlew said:
I'm really confused concerning my feelings towards Tales of Monkey Island.

I think what's causing it is all the people who are saying that they will no longer purchase it.

I bought it, as I had been looking forward to it since its announcement, and I'm happy I have it. The issues it has cannot go without notice, but even when I take that into consideration, I'm still playing Tales of Monkey Island.

It's difficult, because yes, these problems add up and detract from the game as a whole. But, it's still a very fun game. Someone from Telltale said some odd things on the TT forums (the game "had" to come out on WiiWare, an iPhone has more power than the Wii), but they also mentioned that the framerate issues will be ironed out in future installments.

Originally I felt that they should've scrapped the project when it could very well be tarnishing their name, but, in the end I'm happy I got to play the game.

wat

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
iPhone more powerful than the Wii, can't say I've ever been impressed by the graphics of an iphone game.

CTLance

Oooooh. Telltale PR will not be happy about this.
Backed up in case of edit:

I am honestly considering opening up a thread over this post. I mean, sure, we have the epic Mickey Mouse and the MW2 600p threads, but this would really take the cake.

Today's a good day to be a forumer.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
This forumer/developer/whoever also said that the DS had the power of a toaster. Way to exaggerate.

That said, the ContraNetwork video wasn't as horrible as I expected it to be. A shame that youtube compression + streteching keeps us from seeing the extent to which the game was downgraded for WiiWare.

Also, weren't these issues in Sam & Max: Season 1 too? Not too sure about that one, but how was it in the graphics, framerate and sound departments (especially sound)? I suppose the 40MB limit can be blamed for the sound quality, but S&M was a retail release, so what was the verdict on that game?

Jazzem

I was randomly browsing the DSi store just now and came across an update for the internet browser! Maybe the rumours of the internet channel update were referring to the DSi version? It's downloading right now in any case.

Oli

CTLance said:
Oooooh. Telltale PR will not be happy about this.
Backed up in case of edit:

I am honestly considering opening up a thread over this post. I mean, sure, we have the epic Mickey Mouse and the MW2 600p threads, but this would really take the cake.

Today's a good day to be a forumer.

If the Nintendo haters actually visited this thread there would already be ten pages of, "lawl, harsh but he's actually right."

*sigh*

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Isn't the new GPU in the 3GS iPhone supposed to be the equivalent of Half-Life 2 on PCs?
No game that I know of has made use of the new graphics power yet.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

I like how the thread was about the piss-poor framerate and the dev just shows up to bash WiiWare's size limit. Way to be on topic there.

Jak140

Jazzem said:
I was randomly browsing the DSi store just now and came across an update for the internet browser! Maybe the rumours of the internet channel update were referring to the DSi version? It's downloading right now in any case.

I see no such thing, sir.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Andrex said:

I like how the thread was about the piss-poor framerate and the dev just shows up to bash WiiWare's size limit. Way to be on topic there.
He blames WiiWare's size limit for the "piss-poor framerate".

I don't see anything wrong with that.

DarkWish

Jazzem said:
What region? I'll have to check it out when I get home today if it's in the US.

Top Bottom