• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europe Monthly Charts - July 2023: #1 PS5 (+244%), #2 NSW (-9%), #3 XBS (???%)

Digital summer sales propels GTA 5 back to No.1 across Europe | European Monthly Charts​

The highest charting new game is Pikmin 4 at No.11

Christopher Dring avatar

Data by Christopher Dring Head of Games B2B
Published on Aug. 21, 2023
Follow Interactive Software Federation of Europe

11.6 million console and PC games were sold in July across Europe, up 34% over the same period in 2022.

Digital downloads represented nearly 7.9 million of that (up 60%), while physical was 3.75 million (up 0.2%).

This is according to GSD data, which includes digital sales from most AAA games publishers in every European country. It also includes physical sales of games in the big European markets. For the full breakdown of countries and publishers, see bottom of the article.

Major summer promotions on PlayStation and Xbox have transformed the charts, with Grand Theft Auto 5 back at No.1 and Red Dead Redemption 2 at No.3. Both Rockstar games were discounted on console last month, particularly on PlayStation formats.

The highest charting new game was Nintendo Switch exclusive Pikmin 4 at No.11 (please note, Nintendo first-party games do not include digital download figures). It may not look like a particularly strong debut, but for the first two weeks on the market, Pikmin 4 sales are up 81% compared with what Pikmin 3: Deluxe managed in October 2020.

In terms of hardware, 493,000 games consoles were sold across tracked European countries, which is 62.5% up over July 2022 but 2% down compared with June this year. Tracked markets are missing two key territories in Germany and the UK. UK hardware figures for July can be found here.

PS5 comfortably led the month in Europe, with console sales up 244% over July last year. There were strong price promotions on PS5 in July, and as a result sales were also up 24% over June. Overall, year-to-date PS5 sales are up 203% across the tracked territories.

Nintendo Switch finished the month in second place, with sales down 9% compared with July 2022. Year-to-date, Nintendo Switch sales are flat compared with 2022.

European GSD July 2023 Top 10 (Digital + Physical)​

PositionTitle
1Grand Theft Auto 5 (Rockstar)
2FIFA 23 (EA)
3Red Dead Redemption 2 (Rockstar)
4Diablo 4 (Activision Blizzard)
5Hogwarts Legacy (Warner Bros)
6The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo)*
7The Crew 2 (Ubisoft)
8F1 23 (EA)
9Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (Activision Blizzard)
10NBA 2K23
11Pikmin 4 (Nintendo)*
12Elden Ring (Bandai Namco)
13Mario Kart 8: Deluxe (Nintendo)*
14Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six: Siege (Ubisoft)
15A Way Out (EA)
16Grand Theft Auto Online (Rockstar)
17Civilization 6 (2K Games)
18Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (Activision Blizzard)
19It Takes Two (EA)
20Final Fantasy 16 (Square Enix)
* Digital data unavailable

Last edited:
For some reason, gameindustrybiz did not include Xbox YoY this time around.

2023 Year over Year percentage increases/decreases by enpleinjour from InstallBase

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Q1+369-18-10
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16
June+116-2-1
Q2+118+23+1
July+244-9???

Last edited:

gokurho

2023 Year over Year percentage increases/decreases by enpleinjour from InstallBase

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Q1+369-18-10
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16
June+116-2.3-0.8
July+244-9??
A few people asking on twitter for those xbox yoy percentages, maybe chris just forgot....
You know, Xbox does not revolve around console sales… 🐙 🦐 👺
Just look at engagement👨💍👩

Mr.Phoenix

If I see GTA5..... one more time.

PS5NSWXBS
Jan+202-11-32
Feb+400-28+13
Mar+400-19-13
Q1+369-18-10
Apr+144+38+19
May+81+39-16
June+116-2.3-0.8
July+244-9??
Maybe it's tracking negatively, I mean that literally, more returns than purchases.

I joke I joke!!!!

Last edited:
Damn PS5 is killing it. Spider-Man 2 is going to move some systems for sure.

Unless sales fall off a cliff it should finish thr gen smack dab between the PS4 and PS2.

If that does happen that would mean the Playstation consoles on Avg sell 119 Mil per system. Not too bad

Tsaki

We don't have an article from July 2022, right? Trying to find if there are any forgotten numbers from last year where we can loophole it and calculate the actual 2023 numbers.

Well, it seems Xbox is nowhere to be bought in Europe. There is no hope for the brand here anymore, just like in Japan. The killer is MS and what they did with Xbox One.

Are we getting a Digital Fondry video about that or their main and only problem in their tech expert lifes is just the marketing for the PSVR2 in the USA? 🤡

From awng782 on Installbase

Pikmin 4 vs Pikmin 3 Deluxe retail sales after 2 weeks launch-aligned:
  • Japan: +116%
  • Europe: +81%
  • UK: +57%
  • Spain: +110%
Pikmin 4 is definitely relatively weaker in the UK than elsewhere.

Pikmin 3 Deluxe is currently the best selling Pikmin game with 2.40 million units shipped globally as of December 31st, 2022.

Last edited:

Woopah

GTA being at 1 and 16 is crazy, but good to that Pikmin is growing and that FF16 hung on in there!

PS5 way ahead as expected but great that Switch is flat with 2022 after 7 months. Nintendo shipped 4.73 million Switch hardware units in all of 2022 for the whole of Europe just for context.
PS5 will dominate the holidays once Spiderman comes out, and I expect Switch to be down YoY for the next 2 months. But Mario Wonder could change that.

We don't have an article from July 2022, right? Trying to find if there are any forgotten numbers from last year where we can loophole it and calculate the actual 2023 numbers.
Indeed we do! https://www.gamesindustry.biz/video...ase-schedule-dries-up-european-monthly-report

Maybe. But doesn't make much sense to me, xbox have big games coming the next few moths why stop providing these numbers now?

If we don't get an update from chris why he didn't provide the data, and we see xbox data missing next month then i will start thinking MS had a hand to play in it.

I have no doubts about that: MS doesn't want to show the real numbers. It's a known fact at this point

Maybe. But doesn't make much sense to me, xbox have big games coming the next few moths why stop providing these numbers now?

If we don't get an update from chris why he didn't provide the data, and we see xbox data missing next month then i will start thinking MS had a hand to play in it.
Maybe because even with Starfield they know they won't come close to PS and are just doing some preemptive damage control?

It would be interesting to see how the price increase has affected Series X in Europe... but they don't even give a percentage, in a few hours Circana will come out with the data from the USA and they won't say it either, that MS wants to hide the figures is understandable, but the Why do these sales agencies do it?

Woopah

It would be interesting to see how the price increase has affected Series X in Europe... but they don't even give a percentage, in a few hours Circana will come out with the data from the USA and they won't say it either, that MS wants to hide the figures is understandable, but the Why do these sales agencies do it?
I think Circana has a tendency to only share good news, which why they use "other platforms" for consoles that decline, regardless of manufacturer.

GTA being at 1 and 16 is crazy, but good to that Pikmin is growing and that FF16 hung on in there!

PS5 will dominate the holidays once Spiderman comes out, and I expect Switch to be down YoY for the next 2 months. But Mario Wonder could change that.

Indeed we do! https://www.gamesindustry.biz/video...ase-schedule-dries-up-european-monthly-report
The holiday is going to be really important, 2.42 million of the 4.73 million Nintendo Switch's shipped in Europe for 2022 were in the holiday quarter. I think Mario Bros Wonder is more of a system seller than Pokemon Scarlet and Violet was in 2022, there had already been many new Pokemon games on Switch before Scarlet and Violet but Mario Bros Wonder is the first new 2D Mario platformer since 2012.

Last edited:

Mr.Phoenix

Unless sales fall off a cliff it should finish thr gen smack dab between the PS4 and PS2.

If that does happen that would mean the Playstation consoles on Avg sell 119 Mil per system. Not too bad
That damned PS3 messing up the averages. It should be 125M/system.
At this point is just better for MS to hide the numbers....
You still paying checkers when MS is playing Chess. Why do you think they have been pushing the narrative and even advising their `PR partners` to do the same, of how console sales do not matter?

Just watch, in a week or two we will get an announcement saying Xbox is tracing the highest engagement number ever seen on the platform in the history of the platform.

Yeah, I have no idea what that means either... but we will get that announcement soon.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member

The PS5 should finish ahead of the PS4.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Well, it seems Xbox is nowhere to be bought in Europe. There is no hope for the brand here anymore, just like in Japan. The killer is MS and what they did with Xbox One.

Are we getting a Digital Fondry video about that or their main and only problem in their tech expert lifes is just the marketing for the PSVR2 in the USA? 🤡

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

This is happening by the guided hand of Microsoft. It's one of the many things a Trillion dollar company can do when they start to apply pressure on "journalists".

To keep access to the data that they need. If they cross MS, they lose access to certain data going forward.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
If I see GTA5..... one more time.

Maybe it's tracking negatively, I mean that literally, more returns than purchases.

I joke I joke!!!!
You joke, but on US Amazon the Series S was listed as Renewed. That's used...

I have yet to see a PS5 or XSX as Renewed.

Top Bottom