• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - July 2009 (VC / WiiWare / DSiWare)

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Brazil said:
He blames WiiWare's size limit for the "piss-poor framerate".

I don't see anything wrong with that.

The size limit has nothing to do with the framerate.

wsippel

Banned
Jak140 said:
I see no such thing, sir.
I did. I downloaded and installed the update. I don't notice any differences. I hardly use the DSi browser to begin with, so it's not all that surprising I guess.

DarkWish

wsippel said:
I did. I downloaded and installed the update. I don't notice any differences. I hardly use the DSi browser to begin with, so it's not all that surprising I guess.
It's probably just bug fixes or something. I'm leaving work now so I'll find out in a half hour if there is anything different. I've been using it quite a bit recently so I might be able to tell what is different.

EDIT: No update available for me in the US DSi Shop. For those that did see an update, what region are you in?

MarkusRJR

CTLance said:
Oooooh. Telltale PR will not be happy about this.
Backed up in case of edit:

I am honestly considering opening up a thread over this post. I mean, sure, we have the epic Mickey Mouse and the MW2 600p threads, but this would really take the cake.

Today's a good day to be a forumer.
*facepalm*

This topic would make a better thread than a lot of the threads that are on the front page. Do it.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Did she get pregnant on your honeymoon? Thats like a newleyweds nightmare if you weren't planning on it.

Nah, around 4 weeks beforehand. We married in May but couldn't get away for honeymoon until July, so we managed to fit conceiving in the gap!

Netto-kun said:
Nintendo of Japan added alot of other DSiWare stuffs aside from the G&W and Electroplankton games.

Thanks, Netto.

And congratulations to Cosmonaut X on the pregnancy.:D

Thanks again :)

Rightio, that's the OP updated again. I've added (I hope!) all of the releases I'd missed out, plus a bundle of new announcements. I've also tweaked the ratings list, but I think it's probably horribly out of date in places. I will try and slowly bring this back up to date, but any help would be welcome.

Spot any mistakes, omissions etc., just let me know!

DarkWish

DSi Browser has an update in the Japanese DSi Shop. Someone on GBATemp has confirmed that, so the two people that had the update in the DSi Shop in this topic must have had Japanese DSi's. No word on what the update is just yet. So far, no changes have been noticed.

Jazzem

DarkWish said:
DSi Browser has an update in the Japanese DSi Shop. Someone on GBATemp has confirmed that, so the two people that had the update in the DSi Shop in this topic must have had Japanese DSi's. No word on what the update is just yet. So far, no changes have been noticed.

Nah, I got it on a Euro DSi here. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a bit quicker loading different parts of webpages (the grey and white checkered background isn't on screen for as long) and you can make text larger/smaller when in text mode, which is a big plus.

DarkWish

Jazzem said:
Nah, I got it on a Euro DSi here. As far as I can tell, it seems to be a bit quicker loading different parts of webpages (the grey and white checkered background isn't on screen for as long) and you can make text larger/smaller when in text mode, which is a big plus.
Interesting. I hope the US gets the update soon.

What I'm really hoping for soon is the system update adding Facebook Connect, but at least they're updating something for a change.

Somnid

I've checked all of Nintendo's Japanese pages and there's nothing about what the update does yet.

But for those with Japanese systems they also updated Ugoku Memo (Flipnote Studio) to version 2.1. It sounds like they made it easier to add friends and such as well as made the traffic to the server more efficent.

Ranger X said:
I still don't have my hug and it's a page later now.

*grrr*

You really can't stress youself out like this Ranger X. It's not good for your health. Maybe just come in here once a month.

Ranger X

Somnid said:
I've checked all of Nintendo's Japanese pages and there's nothing about what the update does yet.

But for those with Japanese systems they also updated Ugoku Memo (Flipnote Studio) to version 2.1. It sounds like they made it easier to add friends and such as well as made the traffic to the server more efficent.

You really can't stress youself out like this Ranger X. It's not good for your health. Maybe just come in here once a month.

Oh i'm actually turning my last post before that into a joke here. I'm not that stressful but I admit than I can be enthusiastic about the things I really like. I'm eternally deceived about the missed potential of the VC and i'm reacting a bit loud sometimes but hey, let's turn this into a positive like with those 2 facts:

- My gaming wallet is like a little kid slowly dying in some ethiopian desert.

- I don't game more than 10-15 hours a week and I'm having some damn impressive backlog already.

:/

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
TellTale's Official Statement on ToMI's Wiiware problems

Will from TellTale Studios said:
Just for the record, it doesn't matter whether or not you are running from the HD or SD. When you "run from the SD card," the wii is actually taking the game and copying it to the hard drive before you even get into the game. That's why you always need to have the full game's worth of space available on your wii, even when playing from the SD card.

As for different SKU's, there's only the one (or at least as far as anyone can tell). I don't believe they've changed it at all since launch.

Now as for the actual problems, it's definitely a topic of discussion around the office, so I don't want anyone to think we are just ignoring it and hoping it will go away. We definitely aren't happy with the fact that not everyone is having an enjoyable experience.

I'm personally really bummed about the voice quality. Obviously the game was pretty rigorously scoped for the 40mb filesize, but no matter how much you plan in advance little things creep in and add up. So when all was said and done we had to make a choice of either cutting content or compressing the voice more than usual. It was a pretty damn hard decision, but the last thing we wanted to do was cut out dialog from the wii version that was in the PC version. In the end I feel we made the right choice.

Obviously, that's not something we want to happen again, so we are working hard on 102 to make sure it doesn't.

As for the hitching, it's a frustrating problem, but both internally and externally (nintendo's lot check) it was agreed that it was within the standards. Which is never a good answer but in a choice between delaying the game a few more weeks or getting it in the hands of the public, we chose the latter. I'm fairly confident that everyone is seeing the exact same level of hitching, but obviously it bothers some people more than others. Unfortunately, exacting standards doesn't mean that everyone will be equally satisfied.

Now, we have an idea as to what's causing the majority of the hitching, so we are designing around it for the second episode, but there was no easy way to fix it for the first one.
Again, I'm really sorry some of you aren't enjoying the wii version. We are looking into some options, but I won't have anything more to tell you for another day or two.

So maybe there will be a "patch"/little bonus//fixed version for download, for the fellas who purchased ep101 on Wiiware?

BooJoh

Short video of myNotebook in action.

Also: Will be sold in three separate versions for (hopefully) 200 points each; Red, Green, and Blue. Each one has 18 different page styles that follow the color's theme.

I kinda like the flipping mechanic that allows writing on either side of the page (and evens the field for lefties.)

I'll likely grab the blue one when it goes up, then if I find myself keeping it full, I might grab another color for extra space. I certainly jot down enough random crap to warrant a notebook on my DSi.

bryehn

Disappointed my ToMI like most, but just popping in to say that HB Arcade Cards is pretty darn good. I was expecting complete trash like Battle Poker or the SilverStar games (I'm working on a feature about "bad" downloadable games), but I was greeted with a sleek presentation, Mii support and full tutorials for each game.

Somnid

I just tried out the Facebook thing. When you first try it you stick in your e-mail and password and from then on if you're within a wireless network you just press the button, and *bam* it's uploaded to your account. Very slick.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Somnid said:
I just tried out the Facebook thing. When you first try it you stick in your e-mail and password and from then on if you're within a wireless network you just press the button, and *bam* it's uploaded to your account. Very slick.

It is pretty good. They killed Flashcard support though apparently.

Capndrake

BooJoh said:
Hopefully this means the rest of the world will get it soon too. I'm not sure how much I'll use it, but it should be a convenient feature to have.
Every region but North America already has it, I think.

Now for some great news:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2009/07/worms_coming_to_wiiware_and_possibly_dsiware

Now here's some good news for all you Worms fans!
According to a ***** interview with Team 17, Worms will be headed to WiiWare, and possibly even DSiWare in the near future. The games have appeared on every major current generation platform at one time or another, but it's nice to hear news of the series making an appearance on Nintendo's WiiWare service. And the possibility of a DSiWare release makes it even better news.

Below is a quote from Martyn Brown, Creative Director at Team 17 from the ***** interview...

There's a bunch of things coming out: there's a new Worms for Wii, and PSP and probably Dsi coming down the line as well. All digital. And some other new stuff, off in the distance, which we can't discuss... so... well, it's all non-Worms stuff as well.
Looks like the Worms franchise will finally be coming to the WiiWare and DSiWare services in the future and that's music to our ears. We'll keep you posted on any future Worms developments as they become available.

HUELEN10

VOOK said:
It is pretty good. They killed Flashcard support though apparently.
This may sound stupid, but what about official Flashcards, those for the press/devs? Don't tell me Nintendo killed their own cards. I wouldn't put it past them...

So, is the firmware up in NA yet?

I tried it this morning before work, and when I went to update, it said an update was available, but once it tried to download the update, it said the system was already up-to-date.

sfog

JodyAnthony said:
So, is the firmware up in NA yet?

I tried it this morning before work, and when I went to update, it said an update was available, but once it tried to download the update, it said the system was already up-to-date.

I had the same result this afternoon. Therefore, it still isn't up in NA yet.

Spocker

No VC for Europe this week.

WiiWare:
Driift Mania (800p)
Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1 (1000p)
The Three Musketeers (900p)

DSiWare:
Guitar Rock Tour (500p)

alex1893

Kilrogg said:
I'm still debating whether I should buy TMI on WiiWare :/.
me too. Would have bought for 800 but 1000 is a bit steep. I'd like to play it on the Wii but would end up shelling out 50 bucks when I could have it on PC for 35. :/

Apenheul

Driift Mania looks awesome, reminds me of this game:

ivan_ironman_stewarts_super_off_road_01.png
ivan_ironman_stewarts_super_off_road_02.png
ivan_ironman_stewarts_super_off_road_03.png

So that and Tales of Monkey Island. Good week for Europe.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
alex1893 said:
me too. Would have bought for 800 but 1000 is a bit steep. I'd like to play it on the Wii but would end up shelling out 50 bucks when I could have it on PC for 35. :/
Get it on PC.

markot

Banned
>_<

More DSI ware plz nintendo!

Why arent there stuff by big third parties on it >.>?

I like the 'art style' games and all... but still.

And is the new firmware just for face book >.<? Lame.....

bought driftmania.

Man, I hate that the Wii cannot decide itself which WLAN to use! I don't get why this is not as dynamic as it is on DS since forever. Everytime I come back from my parents house I have to resetup the connection to connection 1 :(

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yeah, holy CRAP seems appropriate at this point :-/

Will wait to see if they fix it before wasting 1000points on MI.

Caesar III said:
bought driftmania.

Man, I hate that the Wii cannot decide itself which WLAN to use! I don't get why this is not as dynamic as it is on DS since forever. Everytime I come back from my parents house I have to resetup the connection to connection 1 :(

Wait Driiftmania has online multi? Or did you mean just going online to buy the game?

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
alex1893 said:

That, and the WiiWare version suffers from a number of technical issues: low framerate, low sound quality and stuttering.

I'd buy it on the PC if my computer was a bit more powerful and if I didn't enjoy playing on a console more :/.

Top Bottom