• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze announced for WiiU

Mario Kart 8 is an early 2014 title. If Donkey Kong doesn't make it for christmas Wii U's late 2013 is looking mighty barren again.

TBH, between Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D World and Rayman Origins, they're more than covered for holiday platformers. A delay would clear out that log jam which I'm kind of confused as to why they created in the first place. These games all need room to breathe.

It would also put something big in the post Christmas period, which looks pretty empty. They've already added Wii Sports Club & Wii Fit U to the holiday period, so they're already putting out a fair amount of significant software.

oh come on.. nintendo was in a prime position 2006-2010. the wiiu fuck up cannot be dated back to 1998. its a series of bad decisions since their success with wii.

they didnt have games for nintendo fans and for the casuals on wii after 2010 and they didnt have the games for the wii u launch. they didnt expand enough to secure enough first party titles. but all of those mistakes were made somewhere after 2010 not 1998.

1998 had severe droughts of Nintendo software and also showed just how bad the third-party situation was getting. I'm not saying all their problems date back to then, but the idea that they could support their own platform single-handedly was a lesson taught but not learned.

Nintendo deserves all the credit in the world for their successes from 2006-2010, but they sat on piles of money without rectifying huge underlying problems with management and the company at large. Problems that were clear in 1998 are at a boiling point now.

Nintendo's Wii-U line-up can't be so tragic they gotta delay DKCTF to fill gaps

it just can't be

nocturnowl pls

fuckthiscompany.jpg if true

hold me, owl

Only if you hold me, I was sure Yarn Yoshi would be the filler title for the beginning of next year though they've still shown bugger all for that title since its limited reveal so i'm not sure what I founded this idea upon.
Without that for early next year they've got....umm...a currently unknown title to appear in a Nintendo Direct in the near future? uh-oh.

Sendou

TBH, between Sonic Lost World, Super Mario 3D World and Rayman Origins, they're more than covered for holiday platformers. A delay would clear out that log jam which I'm kind of confused as to why they created in the first place. These games all need room to breathe.

Wii U release schedule being full of platformers is another matter altogether. This is something Nintendo should have thought about when managing their teams. Even if all of their teams would want to work on the same genre we have to draw the line somewhere.

The_Lump

Banned
Delaying most-likely completed games to try and desperately fill in the gaps in their shitty little release calendar?

Nintendo pls

Where did you get this idea from?

Nintendo usually delay because they don't think it's up to scratch. They are perfectionists to a fault.

Gsnap

It would also put something big in the post Christmas period, which looks pretty empty. They've already added Wii Sports Club & Wii Fit U to the holiday period, so they're already putting out a fair amount of significant software.

That's actually a good point. People here worry about them not having Donkey Kong because it's what they want, so they say Nintendo's lineup is barren without it. But Nintendo might feel that Wii Fit U can get them all the December sales they need without saturating the platformer market and decreasing sales of individual games.

That said, this may not even be true, so we'll see.

Log4Girlz

A series of bad decisions dating back to 1998 and beyond. Key ones include: Not rectifying third-party relations, not adopting and adapting to online, not expanding first-party studios to support platforms in a drought, not paying attention in 2005 when every developer under the Sun said HD development was time-consuming and required more than SD development, not realizing how fickle the Wii audience is, and more!

Nintendo isn't just an entertainment company, they are also in the electronics business. They sell electronics. I can't think of any company anywhere near as conservative as Nintendo...since being conservative in the electronics business usually means death.

Its amazing how they get away with it.

Nintendo deserves all the credit in the world for their successes from 2006-2010, but they sat on piles of money without rectifying huge underlying problems with management and the company at large. Problems that were clear in 1998 are at a boiling point now.

Well, when you're making huge piles of money it's hard to see the current structure as a problem

Tom_Cody

A delay would make perfect sense. They are still trying to promote NSLU this fall and the delay will allow them to space their releases out more next year. As someone who is still in the middle of NSLU, I am completely fine with this.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Given that DKCTF is the game I'm least looking forward to, (I'm still buying Day 1, I'm just more excited about everything else) the delay wouldn't affect me much, but I really hope it doesn't happen - it would be a terrible look for the console.

JoeM86

First, let's not just jump and assume Amazon hasn't messed up, which is quite common. Wait until the delay is confirmed before doomsaying.

Second, if it's getting delayed, I'm sure there is a reason. There's one thing that's good about Nintendo games and that's that they typically release them when they're ready, not rush them out to specific dates causing glitches and issues that have to be patched continually as seen with Assassin's Creed etc.

Yeah it'll be bad if it's delayed, for Nintendo's line-up anyway, but if the game needs it then fine. Have we really turned into a culture where we demand things instantly, even if it's at detriment to the product?

Taker666

They don't really need another platformer this year to be honest.

If the platformers they currently have scheduled don't push sales.... DK won't. Really stupid timing anyway to have all their big games being the same genre in a short space of time. ..

...although i'd probably have pushed Mario 3D World to March//April, kept DK where it was..and rushed Mario Kart 8 to market .

thanks nintendo.
seriously, if this is true i'm done with nintendo's idea of release dates. They have messed up the wii u schedule so badly and they can't even be honest to the few people that actually bought the system. And this happens after all their promises about launch window games. No wonder why retailers are getting rid of their wii u sections.
gameover.gif

Have we really turned into a culture where we demand things instantly, even if it's at detriment to the product?
No, we have turned into a society that doesn't like to be lied to. If nintendo had been honest from the start about almost every wii u release i wouldn't be so angry and i'm sure many would feel the same.Rayman, pikmin w101, and now possibly donkey kong. I know they need to sell systems but they are going the wrong way about it in my eyes, coming out with false promises and then at the last minute changing their story.
I can only hear the words "it needs just a little more time, please understand" so many times before it begins to grate, especially as i bought a wii u day one based on their supposed launch window software.

jivran

Neo Member
I'm going to be upset if they delay DK, but I dont think it's the end of the world. Anyone think this means there's a chance for MK8 to take it's place?

Shiggy

Where did you get this idea from?

Nintendo usually delay because they don't think it's up to scratch. They are perfectionists to a fault.

There have been multiple examples of Nintendo delaying software for strategic reasons, especially in recent history (Sing Party, Game & Wario, Lego City Undercover, Wii Fit U, Develish Brain Training). And then again, we have games that are/were rushed to the market such as Mario Kart 7 or Mario 3D World.

Gsnap

Have we really turned into a culture where we demand things instantly, even if it's at detriment to the product?

Unfortunately, yes. It's been that way for a while in this industry.

I say bring on the delays. If it keeps Nintendo from turning into one of these companies that pumps out a broken game in one year, and then makes me download a bunch of patches, I'll be happy.

Ridley327

I'm going to be upset if they delay DK, but I dont think it's the end of the world. Anyone think this means there's a chance for MK8 to take it's place?

Mario Kart is way too big to receive such a last minute bump like this. It'll be Nintendo's big spring title, and that's that.

daakusedo

I hope not, I would like to know how I really feel discovering two different platform games, released not so far from each other.
Playing dkcr 3ds I got hit by how shortlived the level design was, so with 3d world more than likely being more open ended, I wonder what I'll feel for dkc so close to it.

Well, when you're making huge piles of money it's hard to see the current structure as a problem

I totally understand how it happened. It's an old story. Pride always comes before the fall.

But it takes a special type of blindness and lack of foresight to see HD gaming companies struggling and going under while your own gaming company is snorting magic mushrooms with $100 bills. It's like they never thought they'd have to learn what a shader was. DKC would just be another casualty of a long line of delays.

Retro can't work on this and Mario Kart at the same time. ;)

javac

If nintendo had been honest from the start about almost every wii u release i wouldn't be so angry and i'm sure many would feel the same.Rayman, pikmin w101, and now possibly donkey kong. I know they need to sell systems but they are going the wrong way about it in my eyes, coming out with false promises and then at the last minute changing their story.

I can only hear the words "it needs just a little more time, please understand" so many times before it begins to grate, especially as i bought a wii u day one based on their supposed launch window software.

That's not lying. Lying is being untruthful deliberately. Fot example Rayman was all Ubisoft. Not even the dev team knew what the fuck was up.

Not that I don't think this is a strategic delay of a nearly finished game to fill in the spring schedule, but I could swear at one point we were all worried that the game was being rushed and would suffer from a lack of content.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Not that I don't think this is a strategic delay of a nearly finished game to fill in the spring schedule, but I could swear at one point we were all worried that the game was being rushed and would suffer from a lack of content.

It's fine if they said 'Eh we're not sure when it's coming out'. But it went from November to December to ???

And can you blame people for being sensitive to it when Nintendo called Pikmin 3 'launch window'?

I think that was based upon the mention of there being 6 islands in Tropical Freeze and how that could possibly translate to having just 6 worlds as opposed to the greater number of Returns.
I may be wrong though.

D-e-f-

Banned
It's amazing how quickly some random Euro web-shops futzing with their dates suddenly brings back full on Nintendoom.

You guys. Never change. It's hilarious.

Neff

I'll believe a delay when I see it. Dec 6 sounds pretty concrete and opportunistic. There's no way in hell they'll deliberately keep it on ice (see what I did there) to plug a new year release gap at the expense of many, many Christmas dollars.

If they do hold it back, then they must have a really, really good reason for it. Either it currently sucks (unlikely), or they want to make it even more fucking amazing than it currently is (likely).

I think that was based upon the mention of there being 6 islands in Tropical Freeze and how that could possibly translate to having just 6 worlds as opposed to the greater number of Returns.
I may be wrong though.

And I believe the MSRP was listed at $49.99 rather than $59.99 like SM3DW.

--

It's amazing how quickly some random Euro web-shops futzing with their dates suddenly brings back full on Nintendoom.

D-e-f-
e-n-d-e-r
(Today, 03:05 PM)

Shiggy

I'll believe a delay when I see it. Dec 6 sounds pretty concrete and opportunistic. There's no way in hell they'll deliberately keep it on ice (see what I did there) to plug a new year release gap at the expense of many, many Christmas dollars.

If they do hold it back, then they must have a really, really good reason for it. Either it currently sucks (unlikely), or they want to make it even more fucking amazing than it currently is (likely).

Or their spring title won't be ready on time (most likely if this delay is going to occur).

hatchx

Banned
A delay would be pretty miserable IMO. Nintendo needs every game they can possible get on the system as soon as possible.

I was hoping they had Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, or Smash or SOMETHING ready for Q1 next year.

This delay says otherwise.

That's not lying. Lying is being untruthful deliberately. Fot example Rayman was all Ubisoft. Not even the dev team knew what the fuck was up.

nintendo stating over and over again that pikmin 3 and w101 were launch window titles is lying to me, do you really believe that they didn't realise in december that the games wouldn't be ready in the next month or so. Launch window does not mean 9 months away.

Timeaisis

I have no idea whats going on in this thread anymore. It's like people have decided that it's true.

A delay would be pretty miserable IMO. Nintendo needs every game they can possible get on the system as soon as possible.

I was hoping they had Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart, or Smash or SOMETHING ready for Q1 next year.

This delay says otherwise.

you really thought Smash Bros was coming in Q1

LMAO

AniHawk

2014 looked pretty barren and 2013 was crowded at the end of the year. i was surprised they were doing wii party u, wii fit u, mario and sonic, mario 3d world, wii sports club, tww hd, and dkctf across a three month period (although it made sense). dkctf is the least essential one for that, and they can leave it for january or february as long as mario kart is march (i think mario kart will be march).

2014-2015 fy should consist of x, bayonetta 2, smash bros., yarn yoshi, and currently-unannounced stuff. smt x fe might make it in this timeframe as well, but that trailer from last year looked super early. like 'we just signed a deal' early. i wouldn't be surprised if a disc version of wii sports club it the market at this time.

AniHawk

that was back when retro had to be working on something else as their real game.

I may be wrong though.

That, and the fact that it is 50$ instead of 60$, and the possibility that at this point they might have been working on this title for under two years due to MK7.

On topic, all I can do is say ugh.

D-e-f-

Banned
D-e-f-
e-n-d-e-r
(Today, 03:05 PM)

Freezie KO
MPLAINER
(Today, 12:05 AM)

:)

nintendo stating over and over again that pikmin 3 and w101 were launch window titles is lying to me, do you really believe that they didn't realise in december that the games wouldn't be ready in the next month or so. Launch window does not mean 9 months away.

They said they were launch window when they announced their launch window and those titles were still launch window. Then they were delayed. Nobody talked about launch windows anymore aside from the people making fun of the delay by acting like the delayed July and August (or September) dates still counted as launch window according to Nintendo. You're making stuff up.

And I believe the MSRP was listed at $49.99 rather than $59.99 like SM3DW.

That, and the fact that it is 50$ instead of 60$, and the possibility that at this point they might have been working on this title for under two years due to MK7.
I figure the lower price point is more of an incentive for people to pick it up since DK doesn't have the same name power as Mario or Zelda, but that may just be my wishful thinking.

I also can't imagine that MK7 took up too much time, they worked on the retro tracks (how fitting) only if I recall. From one viewpoint this game could have been started up before the other platforming titles on Wii U this year if Retro started getting to work on it shortly after they finished with Returns but once again that's just me making assumptions.

you really thought Smash Bros was coming in Q1

LMAO

I still doubt it coming out in Q4 next year, Sakurai doesn't skimp on the content these days.

I'M FINISHED!

Um exCUSE me Sakurai but CLEARLY the best choice for Smash Bros would be my fav niche character HOWEVER you are clearly INCOMPETENT and
King K. Delay

Codeblue

If there's smoke there's fire. This looks pretty bad for the game and would be a hit Nintendo's holyday campaign could not take. They need every single game of the ones announced to try to boost WiiU significantly.

You essentially just said that every rumor is true.

I also can't imagine that MK7 took up too much time, they worked on the retro tracks (how fitting) only if I recall.

Retro had the vast majority of their developers on the project, including the leads. They worked on it basically until it shipped. They also did more than just the Retro tracks. People did not read the Iwata Asks closely at all.

Top Bottom