• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GB/GBC/GBA Collecting Thread

GBI totally redeems the GameBoy Player. Without it, GBP is super disappointing.

A CRT would be best for picture but weight, heat, squeal, flicker, and power use all make me not want to reintroduce one to my life.

Best I can do is photos of my TV, so please understand:

They're a bit dark, I put the exposure way down due to... photo of TV. At least the simulated scanlines look nice.

Bonus shot of the test setup for my controller adapter:
Thanks. Even those shots look awesome! What size/make of TV do you have?

Yay! I finally managed to get my hands on Mother 1+2 and Mother 3 in near perfect condition:

My GBA collection so far — going slow but surely:

Could you explain what the GBI does differently from the basic GBP?

It fixes all the problems with GameBoy Player, which are:
  1. GameBoy Player has mad latency, very noticable to the point of making games like Mario almost unplayable on my TV. GBI's normal version is 2 to 3 frames latency, which is pretty good, and there are low-latency + ultra low-latency versions that are 1-2 and <1 frames latency respectively.
  2. Due to GBA putting out video at a slightly lower refresh rate from NTSC 59.94hz, you have to reconcile this difference with an extra frame every few seconds. GBP doesn't really do this properly, every 4 or 5 seconds you'll see a massive stutter on screen as several frames are repeated in a really strange way (sixfortyfive looked into this a while back and found "there will be a burst of 5 to 8 duplicate frames in less than half a second."). For games that scroll slowly (most original GameBoy games) its not so bad, but anything that scrolls quick it's super distracting. GBI does this conversion properly in the normal and "low latency" version (1 repeated frame every few seconds), while the "ultra-low latency" version outputs as close to the native GBA rate as possible, allowing the TV to just change refresh rate if it can.
  3. GBP outputs natively to interlaced 480i video, scaling GBA "160p" to 320 in an ugly blurry way and spitting it out interlaced. If you have big money you can buy component cables and output 480p but it's still blurry. Another option is to use swiss and output to 240p, which causes the GBP to do no scaling and just output pixels natively, which is a huge improvement, and on a CRT or good scaler you can get the nice retro scanline look. GBI does this natively.
  4. The GBP button mappings kinda suck:
    Code:
    [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/kR9XBfG.png[/IMG]
    The best option for GBP is actually to hook up a GBA via the GC-GBA link cable and use that.
    GBI's mapping is way more sensible:
    Code:
    For low latency versions:
    A / B - A / B
    Z - Select
    Start - Start
    D-Pad, Stick, C-Stick - D-Pad
    L, Y / R, X - L / R
    Reset - Reset

Mapping select to Z makes may more sense and frees up X/Y to map to L/R, making way better use of face buttons.

Getting close to finishing Harmony of Dissonance. It's so good, it's probably my favorite Castlevania game. I know a lot of people like to rag on the music but it's just so much fun to play.

HOD never did anything for me. I only played it in 2006 or so when the double pack came out, and ended up liking AOS way more. Maybe I should revisit it.

Did you guys know a device to copy GameBoy Camera photos straight to an SD Card was released last month and promptly sold out with no future production run in sight?

I would have been all over that had I known about it before it was too late. :(

Did you guys know a device to copy GameBoy Camera photos straight to an SD Card was released last month and promptly sold out with no future production run in sight?

I think I follow the designer or manufacturer of that thing on Instagram. I should have mentioned it here but it slipped my mind.

GamerJM

Banned
Okay, so question for collectors. Was there ever some kind of adapter for the Game Boy Micro that allowed it to connect to a GBA Link Cable or a GBA/GCN adapter? I'm wondering because if there is then I could theoretically get one, connect it to my GCN/GBA adapter, plug that into the Smash 4 Gamecube controller adapter, use that with my PC, and then I could play PC games with DAT D-PAD.
2405459797_677b0e417e.jpg

But, I searched a little bit on EBay and didn't see any kind of an adapter. I vaguely remember there being one back when the Micro came out (and I never got it because I figured I could just do link cable or GBA/GCN stuff with my old GBAs), but I could be remembering wrong.

I think I follow the designer or manufacturer of that thing on Instagram. I should have mentioned it here but it slipped my mind.

My heart is broken. I have three GameBoy Cameras full of photos I wish I could rescue. This would have issued in a new era of GameBoy photos for me.

My heart is broken. I have three GameBoy Cameras full of photos I wish I could rescue. This would have issued in a new era of GameBoy photos for me.

Might want to back them up on one of those interact memory managers in the mean time before the batteries die.

If you have a capture card, you could always record them off a Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player as well.

Okay, so question for collectors. Was there ever some kind of adapter for the Game Boy Micro that allowed it to connect to a GBA Link Cable or a GBA/GCN adapter? I'm wondering because if there is then I could theoretically get one, connect it to my GCN/GBA adapter, plug that into the Smash 4 Gamecube controller adapter, use that with my PC, and then I could play PC games with DAT D-PAD.
2405459797_677b0e417e.jpg

But, I searched a little bit on EBay and didn't see any kind of an adapter. I vaguely remember there being one back when the Micro came out (and I never got it because I figured I could just do link cable or GBA/GCN stuff with my old GBAs), but I could be remembering wrong.

Not sure about a GBA Micro to GCN controller adapter, but there is a GBA Micro to regular GBA link cable adapter, but it was kinda expensive last I checked on ebay. I think there's a GBA Micro wireless link cable too, but that only works for like 3-4 game I think, and it's also expensive for what it is.

I wanted to trade pokemon with myself (I have a GBA Micro and SP), but I couldn't without the link cable adapter. But it was actually cheaper for me to buy a used original GBA and use that to trade pokemon.

Herbs

Banned

I contacted them today and they are doing a second run. Here's the response I got:

Thanks for your message.

Yes ! BitBoy will return. We will be opening up pre-orders for another run soon. In order to collect all pre-orders, so as not to leave behind anyone who wants a BitBoy, we will be opening up an extended pre-order period of two months. This helps us gauge how big our 2nd production run will be. It means that, while there will be a delay on receiving your order, it will be well worth it to ensure that everyone who wants one has been given ample opportunity to order one.

Looking forward to helping you upload your Game Boy Camera photography !

zatara

scored blue gba sp (ags-001) at a flea market today for 7 bucks...small scratches on the outer case but everything else is spotless. only problem is that they didn't have a charger included. can a ds or 3ds charger work with a gba sp?

TheMoon

scored blue gba sp (ags-001) at a flea market today for 7 bucks...small scratches on the outer case but everything else is spotless. only problem is that they didn't have a charger included. can a ds or 3ds charger work with a gba sp?

no. no DS or 3DS chargers work with GBA.

GBA has its own charger with a big connector. DS onwards uses smaller ones.

There are third party chargers for DSlite+GBA though. I got one from BigBen years ago that I use for my DSLite and GBA. They have both connectors on the same cable.

Peagles

no. no DS or 3DS chargers work with GBA.

GBA has its own charger with a big connector. DS onwards uses smaller ones.

There are third party chargers for DSlite+GBA though. I got one from BigBen years ago that I use for my DSLite and GBA. They have both connectors on the same cable.

Original DS is the same charger as the SP, smaller ones were used from DS Lite onward.

Mzo

Playing Summon Night: Swordcraft Story on the GBA for the podcast since it's one of my gf's favorites and we're finally getting a mainline Summon Night release one of these days.

Episode won't be out for over a month, still working on the editing for 2/3rds of Spooktober, lulz

The game is really fun, though! Easy and quick weapon crafting sequence and some really Tales-looking 2D combat. Not bad. Main dude's design and aspirations are totally a Naruto clone.

piggychan

I really wish I could also contribute more to this thread but unfortunately I can't afford to collect for the GBA as I have commitments with other consoles... but for now I am just going to post my small humble bits.

6A7C6527-3AC9-4AE2-AD08-A997E014C7A2.jpg

E2D775BD-5942-483C-AFCE-F36716562480.jpg

200F2E24-999C-42CF-9D24-941DA74DC0A4.jpg

I got reunited with my old GBA/GB collection this weekend. It was fun playing some Super Mario Land 2 again, but I hate how you lose the six coins you have if you get a game over.

I can't find my chargers, so I need to rebuy those, and I lost or misplaced my Game Boy Micro in the process of moving a few years ago.

I got a charger so my SP works again and my original "phat" DS. I'm glad they still work. I found a game boy pocket in my room, which unfortunately didn't work.

I bought a used cartridge of Dr. Mario. It's kind of dated because of the whole black and white thing, so capsules don't appear in color. The sound also cut out on me when I was playing it too. Never had that happen before. I'm wondering if it's a common glitch.

I just played operation c. Forgot I had the game. It's fun but really hard as contra games tend to be...

Mercutio

Hey GBA folks, I've got mod questions.

I have an AGS 101, and it's pretty much on death's door. The battery lights flicker randomly, it doesn't take a charge anymore, and the case is scratched to hell. Screen is excellent though. I want to jam that screen into a working GBA 001.

My OG GBA is the 40 pin model. I ordered a new adapter that makes no mention of the soldering of a power wire to the motherboard, and I've seen several videos where people mention that it's no longer required on newer connectors for the 40 pin model.

Is this true?

The final castle in Super Mario Land 2 is so hard. I'm kind of stuck. I think I've beaten this before, but damn if it isn't the hardest level in the whole game.

Peagles

Hey GBA folks, I've got mod questions.

I have an AGS 101, and it's pretty much on death's door. The battery lights flicker randomly, it doesn't take a charge anymore, and the case is scratched to hell. Screen is excellent though. I want to jam that screen into a working GBA 001.

My OG GBA is the 40 pin model. I ordered a new adapter that makes no mention of the soldering of a power wire to the motherboard, and I've seen several videos where people mention that it's no longer required on newer connectors for the 40 pin model.

Is this true?

You don't need to, but it does make it a hell of a lot brighter.

daydream

Banned
the discrepancy in difficulty between wario's castle and the rest of sml2 was always as bit bothersome

it's also my only real knock against an otherwise great game

entremet

I really wish I could also contribute more to this thread but unfortunately I can't afford to collect for the GBA as I have commitments with other consoles... but for now I am just going to post my small humble bits.

6A7C6527-3AC9-4AE2-AD08-A997E014C7A2.jpg

E2D775BD-5942-483C-AFCE-F36716562480.jpg

200F2E24-999C-42CF-9D24-941DA74DC0A4.jpg

Look at that beautiful sprite art.

I'm actually playing the iOS version now. Sorry! But it's so convenient! Play here and there while in queues and such.

the discrepancy in difficulty between wario's castle and the rest of sml2 was always as bit bothersome

I agree. There should have been at least one check point in the level. At least there are quite a few mushrooms and a carrot power up in the level. It felt really rewarding to beat it finally though.

Mzo

I'd say the overall feel of the game is a negative against the game. Pretty easily the weakest Mario game.

That last level and Wario boss fights were the highlights for me.

Any good way to get in the modding scene? I have two 001 model SPs and a single 101 SP. I'd like to replace the case of one of the 001s. Possibly give one of the 001s I own a 101 screen too.

Edit: my Micro needs fixed shoulder buttons too.

Peagles

Huh! Interesting. I don't really want this thing to be at maximum brightness of the AGS 101... would it be roughly in line with the base brightness sans wire?

It's been a long time since I've seen one in person but as I recall it's far dimmer than the low 101 setting, attaching the wire brings it up close but certainly nowhere near the brightest 101 setting.

I never found Wario's Castle to be difficult at all. (Though it's definitely a step up from the rest of the game, difficulty wise) It's probably the one Mario game I could confidently say I could beat without being hit once at all.

Then again, I've always had weird taste in Mario games. SML2, 3D Land and SMB3 are my favorite games in the series. *shrug*

Well done. I thnk this was my first OG GB game back in the day. Had so much fun with it. Bunny ears FTW.

Thanks! I think it was one of my first GB games too. I never had the original Mario Land until I got it on 3DS virtual console. I like that one too.

Now onto Wario Land! (or give it a try at least)

D.Lo

Mario Land 1 was a launch game on an an entirely new category of game machine. They were still working out the screen at that point. It was still pretty impressive back in 1990 when I first saw it.

Mario Land 2 was three years later, an eternity in progress terms back then. That's the same time period between first generation simple Famicom games like Donkey Kong, and the Legend of Zelda. Or SMB1 and SMB3.

Mario Land 2 was quite a graphical and content showcase for the system but has pretty crappy floaty jumps, while Mario Land is pretty close to SMB1 physics (with a little less momentum).

Top Bottom