• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Color + Game Boy Advance games coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So Nintendo people can play the same Gameboy games for the forth time! And without any CRT filter! What a deal!
Why would you want a CRT filter on games originally on a dot-matrix screen? Good lord you're so clueless but wanted to shitpost anyway. The fuck are "Nintendo people"? Ah, don't answer that. Congrats, I guess.

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
Why would you want a CRT filter on games originally on a dot-matrix screen? Good lord you're so clueless but wanted to shitpost anyway. The fuck are "Nintendo people"? Ah, don't answer that. Congrats, I guess.
This (without the frame)

castlevaniazykmk.png

Needlecrash

This did take a while to get here. Cot damn. Glad it's here.....! 6 years later.....

A shame we can't get Turbo Grafx games, since they're now owned by Konami :(. Or Neo Geo titles.

UnNamed

Banned
You can play these games on a literal potato, probably.
This micro gameboy can run gameboy games (on a emu) and it would probably runs with a potato:

Last edited:

Mr Hyde

Would be over the moon by this if Nintendo just offered the possibility to buy the games. I don't wanna sub to their shitty online services.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
This micro gameboy can run gameboy games (on a emu) and it would probably runs with a potato:

Hmm, less than half the resolution of the GB screen on each axis, so I don't know how playable GB games would actually be on it?

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
This is great to see, and I do assume that Nintendo’s online service will continue unchanged with their next home console, so the software libraries will only expand and grow. I just hope we see more than the same franchise titles over and over again, but this is Nintendo we’re talking about.

FYI for those who are too young or those who aren’t aware— Super Mario Advance 4 is low-key by far the best version of SMB3. And just like the Wii U eShop version, this NSO version has all the e-reader card levels unlocked. So we legit get like 38 new hand-crafted levels made by Nintendo from the early 2000s, added onto one of the best games ever made.

Last edited:
The video said you can use a GBC screen filter. And the GBC had special palettes for games like Wario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Metroid 2 etc.
I see.

That's better than nothing I guess, but I remember buying a Gameboy Color amongst other things to play Original Gameboy games and feeling like it didn't improve things a lot, mainly because the palette didn't change from the moment you booted the game up. 8 total colors (I reckon that's how it worked?) instead of 4 just wasn't much of an improvement specially considering it was 4 colors for sprites 4 for background and they didn't change according to the level you're in.

Killer8

Nintendo desperately need to do something about that fucking border in their retro games. It's an eyesore and probably not good for the OLED screen either of you plan on playing these games for a number of hours.

Xellos

Anyone else getting audio popping in Gameboy games? It's noticeable in Wario Land 3, especially the night time map music. Tried it on my New 3DS and it's not present there.

Found some youtube videos to illustrate:

With popping (sounds like this on Switch):

Without popping (sounds like this on 3DS):

Last edited:
Top Bottom