• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game Boy Color + Game Boy Advance games coming to Nintendo Switch Online

Draugoth

Gold Member
Gameboy confirmed for Switch Online. Includes Tetris, Super Mario Land 2, Link's Awakening DX, Gargoyle's Quest, Game & Watch Gallery 3, Alone in the Dark The New Nightmare, Metroid II, Wario Land 3, Kirby's Dream Land. GB, GB Pocket, GB Color filters

FoempeaaMAIBGNE

FoemUjdacAA1Jk3

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It's hard to get excited for ROMs you can literally play in a Chrome tab right now.

But, if you're already gonna sign up for this thing anyway. Please play the Zelda Oracle games. They're the most underrated in the series and I won't shut up about them until Nintendo remakes them, which will be never. Pokémon TCG is also a banger.

Bragr

Banned
Most of the Gameboy games are a bit too old, they are fun to play for the sake of nostalgia, but some of the Advance games on the other hand, like Zelda Oracle, Golden Sun, and Metroid Fusion, are legit worth playing through in 2023.

baphomet

I booted up the GBA stuff and it told me I needed an expansion pass?

Definitely reminded me to cancel that NSO pass before it renewed on the 11th.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Warioland 3, Mario and Luigi, and Minish Cap for me right now... I'll happily wait for a Golden Sun release :D

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They need to bring back the VC formula, just having them in the online thing makes them feel so temporary and probably also stops many third parties from joining in if they can't just sell the dang game as it is (and they probably don't care to negotiate terms all that much for some ancient game).

Last edited:
I loved the Pokémon card game. Excited to play it again.

Hopefully we get mainline Pokémon games. I really want to play Gold and Silver again. If Nintendo released a paid version of the games I would buy them.

This is a zero effort endeavour.

Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Metroid 2 should have been revised with colors:

Screen-Shot-2017-12-25-at-1.06.01-PM.png

iqjmip9p92v71.jpg

shot04.png

There are projects which do it via patching, but Metroid 2 was actually most likely colorized internally, or at the very least had a custom Super Game Boy palette.

There was also a PSP emulator a few years back that did it through scripts and worked flawlessly providing the game had a compatible pallete script file.

At the very least they should support super Game Boy Palettes and backgrounds But there's no excuse for black and white games of this caliber on a official paid service.

Last edited:

EDMIX

smh, they can't be trusted for shit.

I'll wait till Switch 2 to see if they have the same online account set up before giving a fuck about any of theses titles. I just don't think this company can learn their lesson lol We'll see...

LarsQMorient

Neo Member
This is a zero effort endeavour.

Super Mario Land 2, Wario Land, Metroid 2 should have been revised with colors:

Screen-Shot-2017-12-25-at-1.06.01-PM.png

iqjmip9p92v71.jpg

shot04.png

There are projects which do it via patching, but Metroid 2 was actually most likely colorized internally, or at the very least had a custom Super Game Boy palette.

There was also a PSP emulator a few years back that did it through scripts and worked flawlessly providing the game had a compatible pallete script file.

At the very least they should support super Game Boy Palettes and backgrounds But there's no excuse for black and white games of this caliber on a official paid service.
The video said you can use a GBC screen filter. And the GBC had special palettes for games like Wario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Metroid 2 etc.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It is hard to be excited given what Nintendo games you can just immediately play on the Xbox Series consoles these days to be excited with this sort of drip feed of backward compatible content.
I think it depends on availability, sure you can download a rom from somewhere on internet but many won't feel good doing so even if they basically count as abandonware, or getting the original game plus console to dump the roms isn't cheap nor hassle free enough, this gives people the most lazy choice to enjoy some games they haven't play or to replay some, even with its caveats

Chittagong

Gold Member
They really need to add a way to hide games. More than the red SP seal copies of games, the beautiful first party lineup on GBC is soiled by an inexplicable crap sole third party game, Alone in the Dark. Its inclusion is both baffl and infuriating.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
The good news is that Nintendo is almost done with porting all their classic games to the Switch. Do you know what that means? Switch successor must be on he horizon so the cycle of milking their customers can continue.

Top Bottom