• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

ZOONAMI

That's where I'm at. But remember most people are far too lazy for constant upkeep. The vast majority of people I know on PC gaming do not sell their old computer hardware at all, which blows my mind. I usually buy something hold it for a few years and then sell to upgrade. It really is as you say a rental program. I bought two 770's about 7 months prior to the 970 launch and sold them right before the 970 launch for a loss of like $30 per card on Amazon. It was really nice. Then I sold my 4670k, motherboard , PSU and case that I had been using for two years and used it to fund my 5820k build. I really only lost about $200 total on that trade upgrade too. I'm quite invested in upkeep of my hobby and the best current bang for buck options too and search out the best deals as opposed to my buddies who just sit on their hardware for long periods of time. I know that I'm the exception though, not the rule.

+rep. I'm with ya. I bought my 2012 MacBook retina with a 650m 3 years ago for a grand and it's still worth that much. Selling it soon.

Electronics depreciate extremely fast outside of apple, so it always makes sense to sell if you can upgrade for little to no $.

DonMigs85

That means DX12 is not a thing yet and there is little to no advantage over DX11 while the engine not start getting being made in DX12 from the ground.

And performance changes from game to game and you can't compare different games when trying to make a point about which card runs a better patched API.

The R9 390 is slower under DX11, whereas the RX 480 performs almost the same in both DX11 and 12 for Hitman

Trigg

Banned
Boss★Moogle;208721100 said:
A lot of people in here act as if the GTX 1060 doesn't exist. It does exist and it'll be out in two weeks so if you're in the market for a card around $250, it would probably be best to wait for the GTX 1060 reviews to decide between the two cards.

It doesn't exist and will not be out in 2 weeks. It may be announced in 2 weeks but it won't be released.

RootCause

A lot of people in here act as if the GTX 1060 doesn't exist. It does exist and it'll be out in two weeks so if you're in the market for a card around $250, it would probably be best to wait for the GTX 1060 reviews to decide between the two cards.
Eh, that's not true. And the rumors suggest $250 for the 3GB version. How viable is that for a 2016 card. :/
I'll be waiting for the custom cooled ones, and those won't be around for a week or two. So I'll check nvidia's event, but it's going to have to be a better deal than the rumored one.

They announced the release date of the 1060 already?

FLAguy954

So, I just got the XFX variant from Micro Center earlier today and I popped it in. Ran DDU beforehand and installed the latest drivers. This card is exactly what I expected. I needed something that output much less heat in my room than my previous 290X and even with the blower cooler, this card absolutely delivers on that front.

I'm getting great ambient temps from the card while playing Witcher 3. On chip temps are a different story, especially since I overclocked the card (see pic). General temps are in the 80s. I plan on replacing the thermal paste with some Arctic MX-4 to see if that helps. I'm still going to pick up an aftermarket version of this card for myself in the future and give this card to my sister. It should be a massive boost from her 2008 Nvidia Quatro graphics in her laptop lol.

c360_2016-06-29-19-06kfkzr.jpg

gpuzrx480referenceurkom.png

RootCause

So, I just got the XFX variant from Micro Center earlier today and I popped it in. Ran DDU beforehand and installed the latest drivers. This card is exactly what I expected. I needed something that output much less heat in my room than my previous 290X and even with the blower cooler, this card absolutely delivers on that front.

I'm getting great ambient temps from the card while playing Witcher 3. On chip temps are a different story, especially since I overclocked the card (see pic). General temps are in the 80s. I plan on replacing the thermal paste with some Arctic MX-4 to see if that helps. I'm still going to pick up an aftermarket version of this card for myself in the future and give this card to my sister. It should be a massive boost from her 2008 Nvidia Quatro graphics in her laptop lol.
Looks nice. :)
Your sister is lucky. :p

drotahorror

I don't think it's silly at all. I'd at least like to see the comparisons as well. Contrary to popular belief on GAF, most people on PC only upgrade their GPU every 3-5 years. However these websites wanted to get these out quick with limited time and resources and it focused on the bleeding edge of hardware. Plus I guess they figure people will just extrapolate and compare to existing benches.

I didn't go through every game but this one stood out a bit as it had plenty of cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,18.html

All in all, this seems like a really solid card for around $200.

wachie

The strawman pc gamer put forth by some people in here:
-doesn't play cpu intensive games (so doesn't like pc exclusives , mmos or open world games guess)
-has a kickass cpu but had no money left for a gpu
-is not interested in playing that large majority of dx11 games in the coming years or how those perform
-is not interested in how the entire pc gaming backlog performs
-does not give a hoot about frame pacing

I don't believe this is representative of the average pc gamer at all.
These two people are talking about ghosts as I don't see this being put forth at all.

No, there's an event scheduled for July 7.

No, nothing official yet, just the usual sketchy rumours from wccftech and videocardz citing Chinese websites.

There is this event on the 7th of July, but that could be anything.

Interesting, personally I think we'll see a fall release for the 1060. But it could be sooner and that's a good thing for people wanting to get in on the summer fun but are still weighing options.

I didn't go through every game but this one stook out a bit as it had plenty of cards.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_r9_rx_480_8gb_review,18.html

All in all, this seems like a really solid card for around $200.

Thanks I appreciate that, I'll go take a closer look at the Guru3D review.

Boss★Moogle;208722699 said:
They are having a launch event next week on July 7th and the cards will be out a week later on the 13th.

Source? I only see WCCF tech saying it's rumored they will unveil it. Then there's the supposedly photoshopped 1060 image from a Chinese website.

Hey guys, I just wanted to pop in here and say that the XFX 480 does come with a backplate. Might explain why it's $10 more on sites like Newegg.

drotahorror

One thing I find odd in this list, my 7970 overclocked to Ghz levels doesn't seem to hit 64fps in GTA V o.o But then again I never tested it under Windows 10 with the newest drivers so the difference might stem from that.

They're also using a Core i7 5960X (Haswell-E) @ 4.4 GHz

So have to keep that in mind as well.

Mohasus

That's where I'm at. But remember most people are far too lazy for constant upkeep. The vast majority of people I know on PC gaming do not sell their old computer hardware at all, which blows my mind.

Because most people, unlike you, upgrade after a few years, and not when a new gen of processors or GPUs come out.

My GTX 460 in 2015 was barely worth anything. Same for my Athlon X4 in 2013.

I'll keep using my 3570k until it fails or can't run anything new anymore. Who the fuck is going to buy DDR3 ram in a couple of years? I can't sell that.

Xellos

Seems like a nice card for the price, but the performance per watt is kind of underwhelming. It's more efficient than a 970, but barely. Still, performance is a big improvement over existing $200-250 cards. Hope 1060 offers similar value.

Trigg

Banned
Seems like a nice card for the price, but the performance per watt is kind of underwhelming. It's more efficient than a 970, but barely. Still, performance is a big improvement over existing $200-250 cards. Hope 1060 offers similar value.

1060 is rumored to have a 192 bit memory bus, whether that means anything is to be seen. Supposedly thats why its going to be 3 or 6 GB.

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I assumed it would get near Nano at high clocks. Wonder what the power was? did it pull another 100watts from the PCI express :p

Bigger picture.

So we've seen Sapphire, Asus, and MSI's custom cards so far?

That's a good looking card. I've been really happy with my Sapphire.

The 3 GB 1060 (if they make one, they REALLY shouldn't) will be a pointless card (ask anyone who bought a 2GB 960 or 2GB r9 380, it was a mistake.

Unless it costs well under 200 dollars noone should ever buy that

Has anyone tested the Video encoder on this graphics card? Can it finally do 1080P 60fps high quality streaming for steam link with no issues?

DonMigs85

Nvidia = Tesla Model S
AMD = Dodge Challenger

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I see some talk of the manufacturing being an issue, where some cards seem to be better than others. If I'm not planning on buying a card until early next year, is there a chance that overall quality could be better? Or is it basically guaranteed that it'll be a quality lottery throughout the entire life of the product?

FLAguy954

Has anyone tested the Video encoder on this graphics card? Can it finally do 1080P 60fps high quality streaming for steam link with no issues?

I haven't tried YouTube but I do use SVP (smooth video project for frame interpolation) and I can now hit 122 fps (native refresh rate) with a 1080p, high bit rate movie (The Martian). Massive improvement over my 290X (which maxed out at 90 fps on BluRays).

Top Bottom