• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon RX480 Review Thread, Launching Now!

NDA should be up now and reviews should start going online.

JhsbUt1.jpg

AMD-Uprising-2.jpg

RX480 4GB: 199USD MSRP.
RX480 8GB: 239-249USD

Radeon-RX-480-Presentation-VideoCardz_com-19-900x506.jpg

What's new on the RX 480?

Reviews

Guru3D
TechPowerUp
Phoronix
Anandtech
PCPer
Tech Report
GamerNexus
PC Games Hardware (German)
Tom's Hardware
Engadget
ComputerBase(German)
Ars Technica
Digital Foundry
Gamespot
Hardware Canucks
TweakTown
TechSpot
TechPowerUp(Crossfire)
eTeknix

Video Reviews

LinusTechTips
Digital Foundry
Hardware Unboxed
Tek Syindicate

Wow, Guru3D is getting hammered?

Tech Report review: http://techreport.com/review/30328/amd-radeon-rx-480-graphics-card-reviewed

Like we've noted, the 4GB version of the RX 480 delivers efficiency and performance figures that are both pretty similar to a GTX 970, and it pulls off this feat for a $200 suggested price. We think that's a nice place to be. A performance jump like this hasn't happened around this price point for a long, long time, and it's quite welcome. The RX 480 8GB offers a bit of "future-proofing" in memory-hungry games like Rise of the Tomb Raider for $40 more. Either card should meet Oculus' and HTC's recommended specs for a Rift or Vive, so aspiring VR junkies can put the $65 to $150 extra that a GTX 970 would command right now toward a VR headset. Regular gamers can just enjoy fast, smooth gameplay in traditional titles and pocket the cash.

Right this second, the RX 480 sets a new bar for performance and smoothness at its price point, and it's undoubtedly the midrange card we'd recommend to most—at least, once AMD's board partners get their hands on it. It'll be interesting to see what Nvidia's answer to the RX 480 will be, but for now, we're excited to see where AMD will go now that it has its eyes on the stars.

ethomaz

Banned
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview

Looking at the overall performance picture, averaged across all of our games, the RX 480 lands a couple of percent ahead of NVIDIA’s popular GTX 970, and similarly ahead of AMD’s own Radeon R9 390, which is consistent with our performance expectations based on AMD’s earlier hints. This means that 970/390 performance has come down by around $90 since these cards were launched, from $329 to $239 for the more powerful RX 480 8GB. In the case of the AMD card power consumption is also down immensely as well, in essence offering Hawaii-like performance at around half of the power. However against the GTX 970 power consumption is a bit more of a mixed bag, and this is something to further address in our full review.

georly

Really curious to see how this pans out.

Stuck between this and a used 970/980 once the price drops on those (because of this and people upgrading to the 1070/1080).

Leaning toward this, but we'll see how low the 970s go.

if i have a 570 ti would this be an upgrade?

i don't mind crossing streams again. i'll actually finally be saving up to build a pc for next year.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
These aren't the reviews I've been looking for.

Disappointed

It's basically a $200 970

Price still good, but it feels more 970 than somewhere in between a 970 and 980.

riflen

Wait, so all the reference cards have 8GB of VRAM, but the "4GB" products have half the VRAM disabled? Heh, that's one way to go I guess.

PCPER said:
Another oddity – and one that may make enthusiast a bit more cheery – is that AMD only built a single reference design card for this release to cover both the 4GB and 8GB varieties. That means that the cards that go on sale today listed at 4GB models will actually have 8GB of memory on them! With half of the DRAM partially disabled, it seems likely that someone soon will find a way to share a VBIOS to enable the additional VRAM. In fact, AMD provided me with a 4GB and an 8GB VBIOS for testing purpose. It’s a cost saving measure on AMD’s part – this way they only have to validate and build a single PCB.

bomblord1

Banned
Guru 3D
AMD is clearly positioning these cards as a great alternative for 2560x1440 gaming as well, so we will place a focus on that in the review. In our findings the card is faster compared to the competition's GeForce GTX 970, and starting at 199 USD for the 4GB version that's not a bad position to be in. Obviously there's more to check out other than performance, we'll have a peek at PCB heat levels, GPU temperatures as well as noise levels.

Consistently beats the 970 even in games known not to favor AMD

Seems like a very solid card. Some of the expectations were way too high. Curious to see how fast NVidia will respond with a lower priced card.

Although it seems their high end offering will not have any competition for quite some time.

These aren't the reviews I've been looking for.

Disappointed

It's basically a $200 970

Price still good, but it feels more 970 than somewhere in between a 970 and 980.

$200 OC'd 970 which is an amazing performer still. Wait until custom AIB's if the OC rumors are true though. At 1500mhz-1600mhz these cards would have a performance jump of over 20% on the 970 for $200 with 8GB Vram. That would be quite impressive.

Vuze

Is it worthy to upgrade to this from a GTX 960 2GB or is the GTX 1070 a more worthy upgrade?
Apples and oranges, both in performance and price. Obviously the 1070 will provide you with a lot more power but naturally is more expensive.

Heat and power consumption are much worse than what I was expecting. That's a bit disappointing. The blower cooler on it is rubbish based on Anandtechs preview.

SinSilla

I've only had a look at the Guru Benches and they look very promising.

It's on par/faster than a 970 and manages to catch up to a 980 in some cases (dx12).

Let's see how these perform with good cooling!

There's a lot of quality burns in the replies.

"There is no longer a reason to buy the GTX 970" -- Luke from LTT

Strong words

I mean, aside from how you can't unless you buy the dwindling stock, or get one used. But yeah, looks like the stock RX480 beats the stock 970 most of the time. Great results. Just a matter of seeing how the third party designs can overclock, it could reach 980 levels.

$200 OC'd 970 which is an amazing performer still. Wait until custom AIB's if the OC rumors are true though. At 1500mhz-1600mhz these cards would have a performance jump of over 20% on the 970 for $200 with 8GB Vram. That would be quite impressive.
Some people dont want to understand that. Is a really amazing card for the price.

Top Bottom